Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Sleepytime BPAL

For the last few weeks, Catch Me Dad has been my go to. It smells exactly like late summer in the country which I miss desperately. Love it.

I like Envy, Cathode, and Bruised Violet compound for sleeping. Currently though, I am wearing Thanatopsis, and it's just not working. Stupid insomnia...

Bumping this as I've been using Boomslang as a sleep aide for months now. It's the rice milk/cocoa mix that's doing it. Knocks me right out after I put it on. Lovely comforting and cozy scent :wub3:

I find Nanshe good for really hot, uncomfortable nights. Oddly sugary scents keep me awake.

Edited by patina

I love light, cool and clean scents for sleepytime; Sonnet D'Automne and Enraged Bunny Musk are top of the list but I do like TKO too. Need to find a GC alternative for the first two cause I go through my sleep scents way too quickly for LE goodness. Keep meaning to pick up some Boober for a EBM substitute.

Oddly enough, Road to Versailles at Louveciennes smelled so much like clean, powdered, sleepy baby when I put it on this afternoon that I ended up napping. It just took me right back to trying to put the boys to sleep after their baths when they were babies. I immediately felt sooo tired. Good nap tho. And I don't normally nap...

I hope this was just a weird skin day, because I don't want to flash back to those fall asleep everywhere and at any time days. But if it isn't, hey, at least I'll sleep well. Lol.

I use a pillow mist by Earth Therapeutics called "elixir of dreams". The first ingredient after water is valerian, followed by lavender, orange blossom, geranium, angelica and peppermint. It knocks me right out. I'd love to find or see a new bpal oil featuring valerian. I also just saw the movie so it's on my mind...

The orange blossom in this spray kind of kills it for me, I mean I love it actually, but never at first do I feel like that citrusy smell will be putting me to sleep, then suddenly I'm out. anyhow, anyone have ideas on something comparable in bpal? The lavender in TKO I'm not a fan of. But the lavender in Lurid I love.

for whatever reason though, valerian root doesn't seem to be featured in any of the somnium blends...

I don't think I've run across valerian in a bpal. I have and adore my nature's gift essential oil, but I can see this note not being used in something intended to be popular with the masses as many find the funk of valerian quite off-putting. I adore it it's weird ways. and effectiveness.

two essential oils that share elements and qualities with valerian are agarwood aka oudh and spikenard. the lab has many scents featuring the former, and a few featuring the latter. these are in perfumes intended to be worn out and about, and nothing I've run across in bpal fumes with them listed has made me sleepy. the somnium blends don't have listed notes, so you'd have to message the lab to get the official word, but I'd wager that they are all valerian-free.

are you familiar with twilight alchemy lab? there are two amazing TAL sleep blends, nocturne and ebon night, that pop up on the etsy page every now and again. neither is sweet like TKO. nocturne has a nice lavender, ebon night doesn't smell very lavender-heavy to me at all, but it is floral.

It's not valerian, but have you tried Anesthesia? It's lavender & peppermint so it's got a couple of the same ingredients as your pillow mist. I haven't tried Lurid but I have tried TKO and the lavender in Anesthesia is very different - TKO goes very wonky on me but Anesthesia smells like proper French purple lavender. For me it's the perfect sleep scent.

Otherwise, as annemathematics says TAL have a couple of sleep scents. I can't smell the lavender in Nocturne because I amp some other note in it, but it definitely works for getting me to sleep.

updating to mention that I noticed Summer's Last Will and Testament from 2009 contains red valerian. it's probably used for it's scent rather than effect, but still worth saying!

Daybreak from this year's Liliths just made it into the ranks of my fave bedtime scents!! Don't know what I will wear to bed if that girl ever outgrows lavender! <3

I've been layering aged TKO with Somnus for glorious sleep like floating on jasmine lavender marshmallows...

Daybreak from this year's Liliths just made it into the ranks of my fave bedtime scents!! Don't know what I will wear to bed if that girl ever outgrows lavender! <3

Me too! It's so relaxing and pretty...I love dotting some on a couple of hours before bed to help me start winding down for the evening.

Would Dana O Shee be too sweet for a sleepy time scent? 

I'm looking for something cozy, milky, creamy, but not too sweet, ambery, or dry. 
Something not lavender would be preferable, just to break the norm. 

I'm absoulutely obsessed with Wulric the Wolfman (thank you for the sniffie @supreme_c0rt!), but wanted to pick a GC that I could slather  :zzz:

Edited by murqmaid

My bedtime BPALs currently are Cotton Phoenix (and it leaves remnants of this deep sexy sweet incense the next day) as well as The Mystery of Giant Testicles on a Brothel Visitor. Creamy, salty nuts.. somehow deeply comforting. *shrug*

26 minutes ago, murqmaid said:

Would Dana O Shee be too sweet for a sleepy time scent? 

I'm looking for something cozy, milky, creamy, but not too sweet, ambery, or dry. 
Something not lavender would be preferable, just to break the norm. 

I'm absoulutely obsessed with Wulric the Wolfman (thank you for the sniffie supreme_c0rt!), but wanted to pick a GC that I could slather  :zzz:

I love Dana O Shee, so I'm biased, but I absolutely think it's a good sleepytime scent. It starts off a little sweet-almondy, but that does fade into a light, delicate scent. The honey is not very sweet or strong, IMO. I find it comforting but unobtrusive.

@murqmaid I’m testing Eden right now, and it’s pretty creamy almondy, too. Though a little sweet. Not overwhelming. 
I bet Defututa is lovely for sleepy time. Morocco, too.
Maybe Halfling? Monk sounds like it would sooth me, though not creamy.
Even Bliss or Velvet, if you like the chocolate from Wulric. 

OH! I bet you would adore Dee! It’s so comforting to me, and I think it fits in with the notes you enjoy. That’s my main suggestion.

Edited by artisjok

@artisjok
re Eden:  (
fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood)

Could you describe what fig smells like, exactly? How fruity vs. floral? I've read it's creamy, earthy, and although I've eaten figs I just can't imagine what a bottled version would smell like. It seems to be in alot of BPAL scents too. 

re Halfling:  (Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.) 
sounds interesting...... I would love to get my hands on this AND dana o' shee....... *evil eyebrow raises*

re Dee:  (soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods)
omg I LOVE THIS SMELL. It's a very soft parchment/light leather musk on me, and the rosewood takes a backseat (yay). I don't smell the cologne, but I'm not sure if my skin ate it, or if I'm interpreting it as something else? 🤔 I also find it disappears quickly, I wish it was more concentrated:cry2: 
           (side question: is this synonymous with having "low throw"? i'm still familiarizing myself with the PLETHORA of olfactory vocab in this community) 

Edited by murqmaid

59 minutes ago, murqmaid said:

@artisjok
re Eden:  (
fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood)

Could you describe what fig smells like, exactly? How fruity vs. floral? I've read it's creamy, earthy, and although I've eaten figs I just can't imagine what a bottled version would smell like. It seems to be in alot of BPAL scents too. 

re Halfling:  (Porridge, kukui nuts, and pastry crumbs.) 
sounds interesting...... I would love to get my hands on this AND dana o' shee....... *evil eyebrow raises*

re Dee:  (soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods)
omg I LOVE THIS SMELL. It's a very soft parchment/light leather musk on me, and the rosewood takes a backseat (yay). I don't smell the cologne, but I'm not sure if my skin ate it, or if I'm interpreting it as something else? 🤔 I also find it disappears quickly, I wish it was more concentrated:cry2: 
           (side question: is this synonymous with having "low throw"? i'm still familiarizing myself with the PLETHORA of olfactory vocab in this community) 

Surprisingly the fig in Eden was very faint on me,  I was really hoping for more. I’m not sure how to describe it... like if wood was a fruit... sometimes it can be kind of bitter.

lol I got mostly creamy almond & coconut. 

Yes, sounds like your skin likes to eat Dee, and you get low throw/sillage.

hi hi! I am fig averse in scents but love eating figs, dry and fresh, in jam and soaked. An unexpected discovery, but also kind of a bummer that I can't enjoy it. 

To me, the fig in BPAL perfumes smells like more of a body shop lotion candle type scent. Like a concentrated syrup of dried fig, sweet, rich, dark syrupy syrup concentrate, like deep plummy raisin type scent. Not musty, not acidic. Eden smells great for the right person (it's beautiful and thick and nightime elegant, comforting), but to me I get a weird headache and scented candle vibe that for whatever reason makes me feel WEiRd. Intrigue is another BPAL scent that features fig, and that I can't deal with that many people LOVE love love. Not to be a downer, but i think fig smells syrupy, too sweet, and sickly, and bleeehhhhh. I think the perfume word people use is "heady"?

Oddly enough I thought that I would hate the BPAL lavender scents because lavender is in everything now (my work used to use lavender Fabuloso mop cleaner which is a concentrated straight up chemical burn your mucus membranes bad time) , but I find the lavender notes in the catalog to be utterly charming, unexpected and sometimes, dare i say it, wild (?). 

I feel have similar sensitivity to tuberose and whatever it is that's in the Le Labo scents, and Tom Ford Black Orchid, which again many people love, but make me feel hypnotized in a bad way and vaguely car sick.   

My nighttime scent recently has been Cheshire Cat, see also wild lavenders. the grapefruit isn't exactly sleepy time, but it's one of my favorite smells. The grapefruit essential oil i had in the past have a kind of ammoniac pee-pee finish, but cheshire cat is my dream grapefruit, the chamomile lavender green plant mild breezes in a field of grass afternoon smell. it's all zing! and then cute cloud time.

I like Werepuppy as a creamy sleep scent. It and Palo Santo and Sandalwood are my current sleep scents.  I think Halfling, Dana O' Shee, and Castitas are in the same vein. 

What about Paladin or Lola Lee Loo?

Fig usually smells powdery and sweet to me with an edge of something a little weird. Sometimes it's good weird and sometimes it's bad.