Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Sleepytime BPAL

My kiddos love How Doth The Little Crocodile for bed. Woodsy chocolate with a touch of moss.it really is nice.

I use land of dreams: sleep ( I found a partial and really need to find a full bottle because I'm getting low) for when I really need to just sleep. I also use Banshee Beat and Luna Azul.

I know there are a few threads floating around pertaining to bedtime BPAL and suchlike, but I'm wondering if anybody's had a scent that they wore to bed that knocked them out cold. I have some pretty nasty anxiety but I usually end up avoiding using meds right before going to bed because I'm usually doing homework and I need clarity for that. When it doesn't prevent me from sleeping entirely, it lends itself to some intense (but admittedly creative) nightmares. I've used Somnus and Baku pretty regularly but I think I've acquired some sort of immunity, regrettably. :(

Long story short, does anybody know of anything that would work in that vein?

This is a job for TAL Nocturne. Seriously, it's really effective.

Is there a new TAL site somewhere? I didn't see Nocturne listed on the Google searched TAL site...

Thanks!

Lavender notes work opposite on me (they stimulate my nose too much and make my brain overwork) so TKO and company keep me up all night.

The sleep scent that I use regularly is aged Blood Kiss. It makes me feel like I took sleeping pills and knocks me out.

I haven't tried any of the scents listed above (although I have a tko in my near future).

one of my favorite yules, picture books in winter, has become my bedtime scent. it starts out gently sweet and then soft leather and paper scents emerge. there is to me a coziness and comfort in books-esp picture books--that this scent evokes so perfectly. I get pretty stressed out and anxious about everything, and this just wipes all of that away for me and replaces the worry with feelings of security and wonder and sense of calm. zzzzzz.

before I'd ever tried bpal, I used to rub a drop of spikenard essential oil on my collarbones before bedtime. and drink a tea of licorice, lemonbalm and valerian.

good luck!

Edited by annemathematics

I actually don't like lavender (much) or consider it as soothing as many people do, so here are some oils in different note families that may help. I generally feel extra relaxed when I wear "cuddly" scents which just so happen to be some of my favorites:

Banshee Beat - A tousled, sexy mix of patchouli, vanilla, and hemp.

The vanilla is definitely warm and soothing, and the patch reads as chocolate-y rather than woodsy or overpowering.

Morocco - The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

This is a very dreamy scent to me. "Warm desert breezes" is apt. Makes me feel like drifting off on a magic carpet.

Atlas - Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

This is my favorite BPAL scent ever! It's lightly woodsy but backed by a beautiful, soft pillow of mallow and coffee beans. It's like how you'd imagine the ideal smores-roast.

Golden Priapus - Vanilla and amber with juniper, rosewood and white pine.

Could depend on if the juniper and pine amp on you; for me they start out strong then it mellows into a delicious vanilla/amber with a touch of woods grounding the sweetness.

Mr. Ibis - Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

Such a clean scent but it does not smell ozone-y or like laundry detergent. The musks have what I'd describe as a "wet warmth" which is lightened by the papyrus and aloe. Very refreshing and soothing, makes me feel safe.

I don't particularly like lavender either but TKO, especially if it's aged some, turns to sweet, fluffy lavender marshmallow on me. I love it. I have an oil from another company that smells very similar but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post non-BPAL recs here. :unsure:

As for scents that are nice and cuddly that aren't necessarily meant for sleep:

I second Morocco (It's really cuddly warm vanilla with soft spices on me) and I don't think anyone's mentioned Mouse's Long And Sad Tale (Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.) To me, it's a very similar vanilla to morocco but with a soft sweet pea instead of spices. Florals are really iffy on me but the sweet pea is toned down enough that it's nice.

It might be a bit hard to find but Ivanushka (Soft, velvety fur and warm musk, brushed by forest woods and dusted by dry leaves.) is totally cuddly fur on me. I like to wear it when it's cold out because it's so warm and soft and comforting.

Edited by unlaced

I love sleep scents almost as much as my day time picks!

I've tried most of the stuff in Somnium--wondering if there are any good sleepy scents from LE's past that anyone knows about.

hi there girlryan ;)

have you considered TKO? from the Lab or the Massage Oil version over at the Post, it is delicious :)

not exactly LE but TAL has a blend Nocturne ( different from the Lab's version )

and also Ebon Night.

fwiw :)

Mother Shub's Stygian Nougat!

(I actually use Midnight Mass a lot for this too, but that's more idiosyncratic and less "traditional sleep ingredients.")

I'm really fond of Egg Nog, myself. And Mari Lwyd from this past yule update.

There was also a limited edition 'Land of Dreams' series a while back -- Sleep, Dream, Wake, and Nightmare -- that were nice. They're hard to find, though.

I've been enjoying Mysterious Warning and I Am Tired of Tears and Laughter for lavender-y scents recently. I also found Pumpkin Queen and Night Marchers v5 to be very sleepy, too. Misericordia isn't LE, but it has a nice lavender.

I second all of the above recs. One of my favorites is Sleepy Moon. It's hard to find since it's an LE from 2006 (I believe), but somebody may have it to swap or sell.

I also have something that seems to be called "Winter Holiday Stress Relief Elixir" (the label is so hard to read). I can't find it in reviews, so I don't know which update that's from, but it's also a nice herbaceous lavender blend.

Edited by Ashmedai

Ebon Night. It's incredible how much better I'm sleeping after years of insomnia. It works faster and more consistently for me than Baku, Nanshe, TKO and Nocturne. I'm so hoping it becomes a permanent part of the TAL lineup.

I've tried most of the stuff in Somnium--wondering if there are any good sleepy scents from LE's past that anyone knows about.

girlryan - it would be helpful to know what in particular you find defines a 'sleepy scent' - lavender is the note that most people immediately go to for recs, but it's not everyone's isnta-sleep solution (for example, I find the Doc Constantine atmo spray great for sleeping, but it's not 'sleepy' smelling really).

But assuming it's lavender you're after, I would suggest The Gladdener of All Hearts - Honeyed milk, baby powder, lavender, orris root, sage, carnation, angelica, frankincense, and rose otto - it's an LE from 2008, and it smells like bear hugs and puppy kisses.

I second all of the above recs. One of my favorites is Sleepy Moon. It's hard to find since it's an LE from 2006 (I believe), but somebody may have it to swap or sell.

I also have something that seems to be called "Winter Holiday Stress Relief Elixir" (the label is so hard to read). I can't find it in reviews, so I don't know which update that's from, but it's also a nice herbaceous lavender blend.

*detective hat on* BPTP had bath- and massage oils called "Holiday Stress Relief" in '08, '09 and '10. and there's an unreleased scent from BPAL called "Winter Holiday Stress Elixir" from 2007 :)

And I second Capax Infiniti for a great sleepy times scent! It's so soothing and creamy. I don't get much lavender from it though.

Edited by Missy_killer