Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Sleepytime BPAL

That's my lifelong dilemma as well. It sounds exactly like me -- even down to the chamomile tea having bad associations. My sleep problems started when I was just around 8 years old and mom would give it to me and all it did was make me have to get up and go to the bathroom, and I still felt freaked out.

I've basically had to arrange my life in such a way that I can stay up until 3-4 a.m. most nights and I can show up at work whenever I want to, because if I have the pressure of "you have to get up at X time" I can't sleep a wink.

I've only been able to, for the most part, overcome this problem in the past couple of years but that might just because I've had so little going on in my life that I haven't had anything to worry about. Although half the time I'd be up for no reason at all, just writing Christmas cards in my head or replaying incidents from 7th grade.

I know this is the TAL thread, but I don't have a recommendation in that regard since sleep and lavender perfume oils and remedies make my brain MORE active. I am the only person I know who has this problem, but the worst insomnia I've ever had was when I was using one of the sleep/dream blends. Lavender seems to act as a stimulant for me, while sweet and spicy scents make me calm down slightly, but not enough to sleep.

However, there are several homeopathic remedies that are surefire cures for me. When I take them, my thoughts stop racing and I feel like: "Hey, there's no reason to worry about anything right now, why don't I just go to sleep." It doesn't make me feel tired, it doesn't make me feel any different physically, I just don't feel the need to obsess as much.

One of the things that happens to me at night is my heartrate goes up and my breathing speeds up, partially out of the fear that I won't be able to get to sleep. When I take Anmien Pien (a Chinese herbal remedy, just google it to find suppliers) I find that I am able to have my breathing become slow and regular, which allows me to slip into a sleepy state more easily.

Otherwise there's a product available in many health food stores and even some drug stores, called Calms Forte, which has a similar effect -- as well as some Bachs Flower Remedies that purport to have similar effects. In fact, when I was having really bad anxiety last month (a rare occurrence and one that I do not need to take any medication for) those all worked together to help me a lot.

I sympathize completely. Despite having done yoga and meditation since a young age, it does nothing for me in terms of getting to sleep. If I try to visualize something, it just winds up turning into me thinking about something incredibly morbid or worrying about things like healthcare and social security. Yeah.

Once I started taking Anmien Pien, I was able to snap out of this cycle for the most part. It's like I "forgot" how to have insomnia, and now all I need is a book in my hand and I go right to sleep at the same time every night (still around 3 a.m. but like I said, my schedule allows for this). I don't go to bed until I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open and after one page of an old Victorian novel, I'm out. I only took it occasionally for a couple of months, two years ago, and that was enough to shift me into a less insomniac mindset.

I am one of these people who won't take pharmaceutical drugs unless it's ibuprofen for a headache, or an antibiotic for a bad infection. The side effects and risks of dependency are just too great, in my mind. But there seem to be more products on the market now that promise not to cause dependency, though the side effects still make me nervous (i.e. sleep-eating, and the like). If nothing else works, something like that might be enough to help your brain adjust to a regular sleep cycle.

Good luck! :P I wish that I had better luck with the sleep blends so I could suggest one, but I seem to need to actually ingest something for it to have an effect. Maybe it's a placebo effect in my case but that seems to be the only thing that works for me.

I've a question for the folks who use any of the BPAL or TAL oils mentioned to fall asleep: what, exactly, do you do with them? I saw one mention of a little dab on the upper lip, another of just slathering it on, and another (can't remember if it was in this thread or the Bedtime thread) of a drop of oil on a pillow -- so I was curious if these are the methods most people go with, or if others have different methods, or what have you. :P Thanks!

I put a dab of the oil on a cottonwool pad and tuck it into my pyjama pocket, or just inside my pillowcase. That way, it can be refreshed as needed, and I don't have to change the whole bed just to refresh the scent. Plus, I like to only smell Somnus at bedtime, and if it was hanging around on my pillow, I think its sleep associations would be lessened for me.

I put whatever oil I'm using on my throat and wrists and on my upper arms if I'm sleeping in something sleeveless, since I tend to sleep with an arm curled up around my head. I've also put TKO on a bit of fabric and put it in my pillowcase a few times...that stuff lingers and it's got great throw--it makes the whole bedroom smell good!

Hi folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm looking for advice on which BPAL sleep formula would work best on a baby. Our son is a year old and has learned how to stand up in his crib, so unless I nurse him until he's pretty much out before putting him down, he immediately stands up and starts howling (he hasn't figured out how to sit back down yet). Any suggestions for what might make him more inclined to stay lying down without needing a feed would be greatly appreciated.

I think Beth is pretty strong in recommending that oils should never be used on a baby's skin or on anything that may be in contact with a baby's skin. With that said, I have an oil warmer (that gently warms oils and would not burn if touched) which I use to scent my daughter's room at bedtime. She's responded well to many lavender-containing oils- TKO and Lilith Victoria seem to work the best, but I also have had good luck with Somnus, Baku, and TAL Peace.

I think Beth is pretty strong in recommending that oils should never be used on a baby's skin or on anything that may be in contact with a baby's skin. With that said, I have an oil warmer (that gently warms oils and would not burn if touched) which I use to scent my daughter's room at bedtime. She's responded well to many lavender-containing oils- TKO and Lilith Victoria seem to work the best, but I also have had good luck with Somnus, Baku, and TAL Peace.

Oh, yeah... I wasn't thinking of putting the oil on him, but there's a little bear that's too hard for a cuddly toy that sits near the crib that I thought would be a good thing to dab a little oil onto (specifically the care/washing tag in case the oil turned the fur a funny colour or something.

Thanks!

If you're looking for something without lavender (which I do not like--I get tired of lavender being nigh on the only scent retailers can recommend for sleep), I must recommend Seance. I always wear Seance to bed. It smells like a big, warm, wood-paneled mansion to me. It really helps me calm down and get to sleep. I put it on my wrists and sometimes a little on my neck.

I'm iffy on recommending a LE but it seems to be fairly common on the swaps so it's not horribly cruel :P Monsterbait: BiggerCritters is a really nice non-lavender scent that I find helps relax me. Jasmine is a good sleep aid and the vanilla is warm and gentle and very familiar.

Hi folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm looking for advice on which BPAL sleep formula would work best on a baby. Our son is a year old and has learned how to stand up in his crib, so unless I nurse him until he's pretty much out before putting him down, he immediately stands up and starts howling (he hasn't figured out how to sit back down yet). Any suggestions for what might make him more inclined to stay lying down without needing a feed would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely try TKO - I have a room spray I made of it that is my secret weapon at bedtime. C (who is 2 1/2) has a fleece blanket that he wraps up in post-bath, and I've started misting it with TKO every few days. It smells fantastic - warm & cuddly & irresistable - and he's taken to curling up with it at naptime, too.

(Don't worry, EM, this stage will pass - we had the same thing when C learned how to stand up... we took to rocking & dancing with him, rather than nursing right away, and that really cut down on the number of wake-ups... /mama-centric hijack :P )

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on scents that help them fall asleep. I've been using a bottle of TKO, but I can't really tell if it's making a difference. It smells really sweet to me, and I think might be interfering. I've also tried Somnus, and that might be working a bit better. But before I splurge on a bottle of Somnus, I just wanted to know if anyone else had thoughts on BPAL that helps you sleep. I'm a little desperate...

Edited: typo

Edited by Withjoy

OMG do I ever. I am obsessed with BPAL sleep aromatherapy!!!!

Firstly - if you like Somnus, then you will absolutely love the unreleased Twilight Alchemy Lab (TAL) scent, Nocturne. (This is different than the BPAL scent Nocturne, which is floral - gardenia etc.) TAL Nocturne is a rose-lavender based scent in my opinion. It is lovely but more important it is very effective for me, I can easily say that it is the most effective sleep scent I own (and I have probably upwards of 30 sleep scents). You can order it if you put in an order through Paypal to the TAL. Currently each TAL bottle is $25, and shipping rules are at the bottom of the TAL site (for the US, right now orders under $150 are $7.50 shipping). So you just list what scent(s) you want in the comment thread when you make a payment to the TAL (twilight [AT] twilightalchemylab [DOT] com)

Review thread for Nocturne here: TAL Nocturne Reviews

Link to the TAL site: TAL

Link to the "Unreleased but available" TAL thread, which has an awesome listing of the scents currently in that category: Unreleased but Available TAL oils

If you like jasmine, another scent to try is from BPAL's Somnium series called Oneiroi. It's a sweet white floral blended with lavender to my nose. It is a nice sleep fragrance (again, that's if you like jasmine - jasmine is a hate it or love it kind of note).

Sleepy Moon is a hard-to-find Limited Edition scent but I find it to be intoxicating. It's hard to describe - white floral and opium tar...but so much more than that. It's my favorite BPAL of all time, hands-down.

TKO is awesome for me but I can totally see how the marshmallow/vanilla note could come off as cloying for some noses. I'm not always in the mood for it for that reason - it can be intense. But it does work for me, and when I have a desire for it nothing else can fill that void!

I also love the TAL scent Peace for relaxation. It is a soft, subtle lavender that isn't sharp or harsh like some varieties can be. It is very soothing and I love it!

Another scent to consider is from BPAL's Panacea line called Quietude. For me, it's a gentle lavender with almost a hint of lemon, and it's not a knock-out sleep scent, but is very soothing and calming and is great for meditation or reading or other quiet moments.

Some other scents that I enjoy but don't wear as often include Nanshe, Temple of Dreams, Baku, Bluebeard, aged Ode to Melancholy, Lady Amalthea, and the LE scents Beaver Moon '11 and Lady Lilith.

Edited by AEris

Other than the Somnium blends, I like to use Gaueko or Darkness. Gaueko has lavender as well as some of the darker, smokier notes that I find comforting. And Darkness is comforting smokiness to the max and I feel that it helps me un-scatter my thoughts and redirects them into a more pleasant and dreamlike direction.

Well, I found a good trick to help me get to sleep, but it doesn't require BPAL! So, what you do is when you are lying down, all comfortable, start counting backwards from 300....BUT do it in 3's. So 300, 297,294,291, etc etc....it really works. It helps to clear your mind and relax it. I am always out by the time I hit the 250's!!! Hope that helps!

Seconding AEris's recommendation for the TAL Nocturne blend. I use this almost nightly now and have found that I sleep very, very well and wake up feeling rested. Be sure to use it as directed (annoint the soles of your feet, third eye & heart chakras, temples, and pulse points.)

Sleepy Moon definitely, and another lunar blend that helps me a lot is Black Moon (either year - there was one in 2011 and one in 2006 I believe), which isn't as hard to find as Sleepy Moon. I think it's the mugwort, it does wonders to help me sleep. Also there were two LE's not long ago I'd rec, "Sleep" and "Dream". But I'll definitely third the rec for TAL "Nocturne" - it knocks me out so reliably I'm even willing (as a guy) to smell a little "rosy" for the night. :lol:

I usually use Boo 2010, but I love mostly sweeter blends so if TKO is too sweet then you probably wouldn't like Boo. (I also like TKO, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, and Dorian.)

Other than BPAL:

- Try using an eye mask and ear plugs

- Make sure your bedroom is completely dark (black out curtains)

- Lower the temperature or use a thinner blanket if you stay awake from being too hot and vice versa turn it up or use more blankets if you shiver yourself awake (just try to keep the temperature relatively cool and stable all night)

- Try to eliminate any irritants that might awaken you

- Limit any tv/computer/bright screen usage before bed because it tricks your body

- Take some time before bed to meditate or read or otherwise relax and clear your mind and maybe make your drowsy

- Limit caffeine before bed or even just limit caffeine intake in general for a while to give your body a rest from the stimulants

- Don't lie in bed if you can't sleep try getting up and only going to bed when you are tired

- Work out in the afternoons it helps you fall asleep

- Focus on one sound until you fall asleep (really stay focused!) like the hum of your fridge or something

- Try using a white noise sleep app on your phone to help lull you to sleep

- Keep as regular a sleep schedule as possible

- Try sleeping an hour more or less to see if that works better for you (I find a lot of the time I only get 6-7 hours and trying to sleep more just ends with me tossing and turning all night)

Well, my grandfather's cousins had their grandchild/grandnephew with them. After a long car ride, the two year old was desperate to cause a ruckus no matter the time. Desperately I reached for Somnus. Remarkably, it helped. Usually I don't apply oils before bed but that one was soothing enough.

I would also think Dirty would work, it's such a clean comforting scent.

Lavender is too busy for my nose to handle (it actually keeps me awake!), so I can't wear any of the sleep blends to bed.

I'm using Blood Kiss instead. I'd noticed when I first tried it long ago, that it made me feel very sluggish (as if a vampire were trying to lull me into a trance). So one day I decided to try it in bed, and was happy to discover that it helped me sleep better and didn't bother my nose.

I would wear anything you've found really soothing to bed.

Edited by rawgirl75

Possibly Hell's Belle? I know it seems like whenever I wear it, my fiance decides it's time to cuddle me like a teddy bear and fall asleep. The mandarin makes it seem an unlikely sleepy scent, but I've found that it goes soft and creamy thanks to the magnolia and musk, and that it's fairly gentle and pleasant without being at all heavy.