Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Tramp

Temple of the Dark Maiden

Background: The Dark Maiden is a fourth aspect of the Goddess corresponding to the waning moon as she moves toward the Crone. For others the Dark Maiden refers to the day after the new moon.

In the bottle: Sharp, warm woods, leather, amber(?), and what I think might be rosemary.

On: this is freaking strong - and I don't actually recommend wearing it - or if you do make sure it is in moderation. I can literally taste the ceder in my mouth after wearing.

Ritual: TBD

Temple of the Dark Maiden does smell very dark to me, but I cannot really pick out any one thing that it smells like. It's a bit smoky, a bit wooden, and a lot earthy. At first it reminded me a bit of anise, and then a lot of vetiver, but it doesn't smell like either of those exactly. It isn't what I would classify as a good smell or an awful one.

Overall this one is dark and smoky and not something that I would ever really recommend wearing either.

The scent - Dark green and herby, but also slightly fruity.

The meditation - I am walking in dark woods. The path is overgrown, the surface uneven. I'm either slipping in the mud or clambering over rock, it's hard work, but I keep going, I feel I have to. There is a stream down to my left, but this is no languid trickling stream, it gushes and pours over rocks, the sound is soothing and yet dangerous and threatening. I climb higher and higher, occasionally I feel the heat of the sun through the leaves above me, but for the most part it is cool and damp. Finally I stop, I lean back against an old oak tree and feel the bark at my back. I hear the birds singing and the leaves rustling in the trees and the ever present churning of the stream.

(I use my temple oils as aids to meditation, with the oil in my burner, so this is how I've reviewed them)

This is a warm dark scent. I remember being initially surpised that it could be both, but apparently the Dark Maiden is a mistress of contradictions at times. On my skin it goes soapy within moments, but it is an excellent room scent for meditation.

It's bitter and floral/herbal at first. I'm thinking violets and violet leaves. Maybe some apples and wood, too, as it warms up on my skin. Then there's a smoother and sweeter note like amber that lingers. The violet-ish note from the beginning stays a long time. This is a deep and mysterious scent, good for contemplation.