Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Prototype

In the Bottle: The first thing I thought of when I opened Toxin was Blue Moon. Your mileage may vary quite a bit on that one, as it has been a very long time since my Blue Moon moved on to a more loving home, but it seems to me that they share at least one common sweet, fresh top note. The more I sniff the bottle, though, the less alike to BM it becomes...there is a light, almost aquatic note and something citrussy in there, too.

On my skin: The citrus note comes out immediately on my skin. It doesn't seem like lemon, but perhaps lemongrass? It is very calm and refreshing. This slowly gives way to a light, fresh floral scent.

Dry: Whatever the top note I initially smelled was, it seems to have resurfaced as Toxin dried. It is resting atop the floral notes, keeping them from becoming cloying and producing an overall effect almost like clean linens.

Overall: I think fans of clean, light scents such as Dirty will absolutely adore Toxin. It is soft and subtle while still pervasive enough to be noticed, and its refreshing tone makes it a perfect fun spring/summer scent.

Very aquatic, fresh, oceanic. Alhough I love the way my skin smells after spending the day at the beach, I do not like aquatic perfumes because I have yet to find one that smells like "me". When the waves wash away, it leaves a bouquet of water flowers on the shore. It doesn't suit me, though the name is totally cool.

in the bottle: melon, though not overpowering melon like fee,

on: light, fresh, watery w/ a hint of clean floral

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Blue Moon-y + Citrus

Preconceived notions: I really have no idea. Based on the reviews, citrus and/or melon, maybe?

In the imp: Upon first opening the decant, I too get something similar to Blue Moon (I even popped open my final BM imp to confirm). I'm not sure if they share any common notes, but at first, they're similar in a sweet, faintly aquatic way.

On skin, wet: Citrus and some unnammed flower(s). A bit... watery, but not really aquatic (to me). I must say, at this point, I'd buy a 10ml of Toxin this very moment, if I could.

On skin, dry: I have no clue what notes are in Toxin, but I love them all. Dry, like Morrighana, I notice the resemblance to Blue Moon again. Toxin, dry, on me, is a lovely crisp, watery, slightly floral citrus, and I adore it.

Conclusion: If (when! when!) this is released, provided it's not terribly different from what I've just tested, I'd order a 10ml straightaway.

Edited by Aredhel

I agree with the previous reviewers; they have pretty much said it all.

This is a stupendous aquatic floral with the memory of Blue Moon hidden in its depths.

It's on my list for a big bottle.

:P

In the vial: Uh oh. Lemons. Something citrusy at least. But there's something else there as well. Something soft. It smells like lemon meringue.

On my skin: Holy lemons, batman! Poop. It's doing the Pledge thing on my skin that almost every single lemon BPAL scent has done. But on the other hand, there's something pretty about it as well. It's not a soft scent like I thought it was in the vial. It's actually sharp and a bit harsh to my nose. The brief pretty bit is gone and it's back to Pledge.

The verdict: Not for me. Lemons and I do not mix.

In Bottle: Aquatic ozone

On Skin: Yum! I smell a sweet yet tart ozoney note. Also something slightly citrus… maybe grapefruit? Also a sweet note, maybe a sweet floral like Sweet Pea or something in the vanilla family but very very faint. This scent is so fresh and clean, it’s very beautiful!!! It has a little of the laundry dryer sheet going for it, it would be nice for when you wanted something airy and light. I think this would be an amazing room scent, I’d use it for spring days for sure.

Oh my. My my my. This is flipping AMAZING. It reminds me a lot of Frost Moon, though it's not minty. It has this lovely sort of icy herbal, sort of aquatic, very moonlit and subtle aroma. Please release this baby, Beth! I have to have more. It is very refreshing and crisp, and I'll definitely treasure the impling I have.

5 out of 5.

I was lucky enough to win a 5ml of this precious in the raffle, and I am BEYOND glad to have it. Oh my.

In Bottle - Like others have mentioned, it's a kind of aquatic floral with citrus. Unlike others, though, i can't compare it to Blue Moon, which I've never sniffed. But this is yummy, make no mistake. Ooooh, is it yummy.

Wet on skin - Rich sweet fruity citrusy floral goodness. I can't even describe it that well, but this is just gorgeous beyond belief.

Drydown - Nose, meet the spot on my hand where I tested this. You're going to be staying there a LOOONG time, since I can't stop sniffing the Toxin goodness. The citrus and aquatic notes manage to turn into something both spicy and light. I didn't know that was possible, but it is. The florals are sweet but not cloying at all. Sweet spicy light goodness. It's like sniffing this color, except a bit greener. Sparkly and delicious. If/when this is released, I'm buying more like you wouldn't believe. :P

Edited by Hanyaan

toxin.jpg

Toxicology Report:

Appearance: Clear yellowish liquid of viscosity lower than water.

Scent: Citrus (possibly yuzu), aquatic, green, slippery, astringent, slight perfume in the background some slight floral component.

Scent Longevity: Quite good, even for a citrus based scent, it remained noticeable for over an hour.

Diagnosis: A very nice scent indeed. Cool and refreshing. Particularly appropriate for warm weather wear. Would make an excellent addition to a cold compress to combat heat stroke.

In the bottle, this is very aquatic - I couldn't smell the lemon at all.

Wet, the lemon comes out, and it smells like... watery lemon juice, actually. But the lemon isn't as strong as it should be... like Morrighana, I think it might be lemongrass.

Dry, there's a distinct floral quality to the scent. There's still a lemon edge, but it's not nearly as aquatic as before.

I've never tried Blue Moon, so I can't say if this smells like that or not, but it is a lovely, clean, fresh scent. I like it, but I wouldn't wear it often enough to get a 5ml if it becomes a general catalog scent.

Edit: After about two hours of wear, I think this scent is what's giving me a headache. I don't smell any ylang ylang (which I'm allergic to, and gives me headaches), so I don't know what note(s) it might be. Still, I washed it off and it's going into the swap pile.

Edited by Kiena

In the imp: Citrus and aquatics. I didn't expect something called Toxin to smell so good!

On my skin: It might have lemon in it, because it's turning to a cleaning supplies smell. There's still the aquatic note, and maybe some melon. It's fruity, fresh and clean, but not me.

Toxin

In the imp: fresh and tangy, maybe with citrus and ozone notes, and a floral sweetness. It reminds me of Sundew and Blue Moon.

Wet on skin: still clean and fresh, reminiscent of clean laundry, with spring flowers.

Dry on skin: this is a very pretty scent! It's almost soapy but not quite, very clean and breezy, it reminds me of clean white sheets drying in the sunshine. It's similar to Sundew with it's fruity-floral-clean scent, but this is less tangy and leans towards floral and linen notes than apples and pears (though I do get a hint of fruit here-including a little bit of citrus, probably a gentle grapefruit note). I think I can also pick up a little bit of cucumber. I'm wondering if the floral notes in here are the same as Blue Moon's-narcissus and orchid? It's a gorgeous scent, and so perfect for spring and summer.

After a while: it's less tangy, it's now fruitier and I'm also getting a soft and slightly salted ozone note. An airy, almost marine note-this is an ozone which is nice on my skin. It's almost like Sea of Glass at this point, but with a fruity-floral sweetness contrasting with the salty sea air scent. It also reminds me of Tears (the good stage of Tears before it turned nasty on my skin, that is).

The scent fades away gradually leaving a soft scent of sea breezes with clean linen sheets and dainty spring flowers in the sunshine.

Verdict: don't let the name fool you, this scent doesn't smell toxic at all! This is a very pretty, light, fresh scent, very clean and airy, a breezy blend of clean linen with soft blossoms and gentle fruits. It's very similar to Sundew on me, at first, with hints of Blue Moon. Over time, a soft ozone-aquatic scent of salty sea breezes appears, mingled with a sweet fruity-floral scent. This is what I hoped Tears would smell like! This is one of those scents that will be fantastic for spring and summer-it is carefree and bright and makes me think of the beach and happy summer memories. I might want to get more of this if it gets released!

Emoticon rating: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I just received Toxin today via the raffle and I immeadiately applied some. In the the bottle I got a sharp floral smell, I can't say that I really noticed any citrus. On me it is, unfortunately, an instant headache, which is a shame because the scent is really nice. It's a really fresh scent, but it's aquatics/ozone and they always give me migraines. I might keep it around to try again but I think I'll have to send this to someone who will love it more.

Much love to PilotKitten for gifting me with an imp of this one :P

First on... Toxin smells like very watery cantaloupe and some sort of sweet, floral scent. Perhaps a cucumber melon fragrance. It's fresh and lovely at first, but a sharp citrus begins to overpower everything else on me after a few minutes.

In the drydown, I'm getting something like sharp lemongrass and dryer sheets. So many ozones and aquatics remind me of laundry soap, and this one is giving me a headache :D

Citrussy aquatics are not for me. I really like this in the imp and on my skin for the first five minutes though...

at first: clean. i can't think of how else to describe this.

on: floral with a bit of something almost citrussy. very nice.

1 hour later: soft and soapy. pretty and light.

2.5 hours later: lighter. this reminds me of dryer sheets.

3.5 hours later: soft and a bit sweeter. almost like a lemony sort of candy.

overall: a good, light scent for summer.

bottle:

citrusy, background of something herbal

wet:

lemony clean scent!

dry:

creamy, slightly floral, hint of lemon, bare hint of aquatics…

overall:

love it (of course!) now to sell my right arm….

rating: 9/10

oooooooh I wish I could keep this. mmmmmmmmm It is light, citrusy, sweet, melony, and floral. I really like this and can't wait for it to come out. Yum!

Ooooh. I like this one. I get a cool overtone, but it's quickly spiked by a sweet citrus note. As I sniff, I start to catch an aquatic note as well. This is a fresh, sweet, and clean scent, and I agree with those who've compared it to Blue Moon. I'll definitely want a bottle of this, whenever it's finally released.

This smells really clean, with a hint of melon. On me, I have no idea what to call what I'm smelling; it's very clean and a wee bit fruity, though not melon. It gets a bit stronger on my skin, which is unusual for me+BPAL. I'm going to keep my imp.

Massively aquatic and citrusy. It smells goood. Like a tangerine. I'm keeping it!

In the bottle it is fresh and sweet and unique to anything I've sampled from the Lab. On the skin it keeps its sweetness, but it isn't over powering or heavy on any flowers. More like a melon but different from the melon in Fee.

Overall this is a gorgeous blend and has an excellent throw and staying power.

Toxin - I do not believe there is a more perfect summer scent than Toxin. This is really an incredible scent. I am blown away by the fact that it contains some sort of lemon note (lemon verbena, perhaps? Or is it actually grapefruit???) that works well on me! Several reviewers mentioned that it's aquatic in nature, and it does seem that way initially, but in the end, I've determined that (at least on me) it's a lot more ozoney than aquatic. There's a hint of white floral in this, and overall, this reminds me a lot of Szepassony with citrus overtones. It's gorgeous, summery, and really beautiful.

First sniff: Hovers right on the line between aquatic and medicinal. It’s joltingly refreshing. My nose is cold.

Wearing: I really can’t get a handle on this one. It’s sweet and light, but maybe a little too sweet… hey, is that apple blossom? Interesting!

In the vial I get an aquatic/citrus blend, as it dries down on my skin it turns more aquatic/floral. I definitely get an apple something from this; perhaps apple blossom like the reviewer before me mentioned. This might be a good scent on the husband, but too aquatic for my tastes!

This scent makes me snicker. In the '80s, I was in junior high and had two alarmingly sweet scents that I loved to wear, both teeny-bopper kind of perfumes: one was called Tribe, and the other Malibu Musk. Ever since getting into BPAL, I've been tempted to find both of them, just for a trip down memory lane.

I can save myself part of that search - Toxin is Malibu Musk in BPAL form! I smell just like I'm walking down the beach...or at least the halls of my junior high school. It's got this freakishly-sweet-aquatic thing going.

I am amused. Anytime I feel like being ten years old again, I'm going to wear Toxin. Though the name puzzles me - if toxins really smelled this sweet, I'd run out and pollute everything in sight. :P