Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A carnivorous enchantress: diverse, lovely and graceful, emitting a sticky, glowing golden, sweet and terminally inviting scent. Its dew is believed to grant eternal beauty and longevity, and restore vitality and vigor to the magician.

First sniff: Like laying in a field of wet flowers watching the sunrise. I know it sounds funny but it's just...oh. Oh.

Wet: I'm probably going to be flogged for this but it reminds me a lot of the smell of sunwashed linen. When you wash it and hang it out to dry on a nice ripe breezy sunny day. It reminds me a lot of Daffodil mixed in with the soft aquatic I get from Kingsport. You can tell it's a very sort of yellow scent if that makes sense but it's not cloying.

Dry: Oh its a soft muted floral now that reminds me of a daydream...sweet and subtle. Fleeting but very memorable. The staying power seems to be pretty good as well, not as strong as it was when I first tried it but still very much there. Lovely, it's like a lovely spring morning in a bottle.

yes, yellow i agree, and i think spring floral, daffodil could be it. very very clean & fresh smelling

First sniff: Brightness and green grass and a soft aquatic… like sun on dewdrops.

Wearing: This is beautifully fresh and light. It’s sunny and uplifting. However. Sundew is, I think, the only scent I’ve tried where the scent directly on my skin is more subtle than the aura. When I sniff my wrist, it’s the beautifully fresh light wet version… but the throw is loud and too heady and I’ve had a killer headache all night. I don’t know if that’s related to Sundew, but it makes me sad. :P

It smells like summer to me. Beautiful and light in the bottle and very floral, but not the usual floral I get from the Lab.

It stays pretty consistent throughout the dry down, and it leaves a pretty lingering smells throughout the day. Very very nice, I think it'll be added to my ever growing list of favorites.

Sniffing from the bottle: Slightly sweet, yellow, springlike.

Upon application: Definitely spring florals - there's a note I recognize from both Ides of March & Beltane, which I think is narcissus. Ides of March and Beltane are two of my very favorite scents, so this is very good news indeed.

After a few minutes: I get a slightly sweet note - possibly melon? It's not very strong, at least not strong enough to be distracting to this melon-hater. But it's defnitely there.

Conclusion: Sundew is sunshine in a bottle. Perfect for spring, I absolutely love it.

On first application I get a very funky green smell with a bit of a citrus undertone. Very alive, but not quite clean – it’s a musky green, and a bit sharp. The sharpness turns moister, and becomes almost aloe-like in quality; here it’s more comforting and rounder in scent. Quite a morph already, but this has more surprises in store.

This gradually becomes sweeter, taking on a just bit of a white floral quality – it gets lighter and more airy while strongly maintaining that sense of living green. I almost want to say lotus, because there’s a bubble-gum undertone that I associate with that note, but I find this more natural than lotus usually goes on me. Then it gets down to business. The word that comes to mind is nectar, and in this case it’s fitting – a fruity, sweet sweet juicyness , but light and still a touch verdant. It’s warm and definitely has a sitting in the sunshine feel. This is innocent but compelling, and absolutely delicious.

Beth has done a beautiful job with this. From first stage when I get a sense of the living plant, to the scent of final temptation, this is a pleasure to sniff all around. So much depth, so very interesting, and in the end, very happy and fun. What a perfectly lovely way to go.

In the imp: As others have said, definitely a yellow floral scent; reminds me of daffodils and dandelions.

On: Lush yellow flowers and greenery. On me it's not overly sweet (as far as florals go), but there is a sense of "stickiness" that's definitely appropriate for a carnivorous plant! In the background, there's something that smells a lot like Empyreal Mist to me.

An unusual golden floral, very pretty.

In the bottle: A bright yellow fizzy carbonated citrus scent.

On: There really is a "soda" scent there as well as a fresh daffodil linen/cotton type scent. The citrus fades quickly into the background while a sweetish cloth scent comes up - I don't know how else to describe it.

I had a feeling I'd like this, and I didn't know why. It was an appealing concept and it's very bright, vibrant and sunny in the imp. I couldn't say exactly what was in it...if it's floral then it's a very crisp, fresh one. It really comes to life on my skin and blossoms, extending dewy tendrils and bright lemon-colored light.

In a way it makes me think of a pale yellow version of Mantis. I also think of pale, crisp, broken stems. It doesn't exactly smell lemony but it makes me think of the color of pale, glowing lemon. Fainty fizzy citrus, as others have said...but with that strange pulpy stem scent.

The bamboo pulp that was in Holiday Moon is the closest cousin to this, but this is a little more mellow. If I thought I'd wear this on a regular basis I'd get a bottle...as it is I anticipate sniffing it a lot in the warm weather, so I might go through an imp fairly quickly and need more, just from constant sniffing!

Ok, that's weird. I got a sticky, overwhelming amber note from this, and no flowers at all. My body chemistry is bizarre.

I LOVE Sundew! I think it has quickly advanced to the top of my favorites list!

It's a beautiful yellow floral on me with a bit of spiceyness underneath- I love it!

Oh, this is really lovely. Normally I don't like lemon, but this is that bright, fizzy lemon scent everyone is talking about, with lovely, creamy florals beneath. Mmm.

Powdery amber and citrus on me. This is a soft, well behaved, uncomplicated scent and I like it a lot. I just don’t find it as unusual or distinguished as some of the other blends.

Imp

This is fruity with a twinge to it. There is a floral note I have smelt before but I cannot place right now. This mix is bright.

Wet

This is extremely bright and clean (but not in a white flower way). The blend is sharp and crisp and reminds me of hardy yellow and orange flowers. The fruit notes I pick up smell like citrus fruit rinds. Orange zest?

Dry

This resulted in a very crisp, clean scent. Not soapy clean, but the clean of freshly washed laundry. There is a sweet zesty edge to the blend. Overall, this seems like a very bright day with blue skies and cumulus clouds.

A hour after it dried, it broke into an even more gorgeous blend. It has a bright, but subtle, floral tone to it and then a delicate hint of the previous zest. WOW.

Wow! This is very pretty floral - not too sweet, very sunny and fresh smelling. I agree with the likeness to bamboo pulp. I see where the fizzy lemon scent description comes from, but I'm not getting real lemon, but something close. It has a fruity aspect to it and it almost reminds me of a hard, powdery lemon candy - dang it, I'm forgetting the name. For some reason, as I smell really hard, I'm also getting similarities to Black Opal or Jacob's Ladder - I have no idea why. Maybe there's a touch of tonka in here buried deep.

It's a beautiful scent, and reminds me of summer, wildflowers and fresh breezes. Wonderful!

On wet - it’s a pastel watercolor scent. Light sweet yellow and baby blue flowers and melons, but not fruity. Floral.

Drydown - summer. Napping in the midafternoon sun with fresh flowers blooming all around.

Lovely, but not at all my style.

Very bright, with a citrus-like quality to it. It smells kind of juicy. It's hard to describe -- of the citrus scents I'm familiar with, it smells closest to lime. It's tangy instead of sour.

And there's something underneath there, too... as it dries I think I smell something that's almost floral but not quite. It's sweet. Give it an hour or so before you make up your mind, because it changes.

I like the scent, but to be honest it smells like bath products to me -- not really like a personal fragrance. I'm not saying it smells soapy, I just mean that it's the type of bold invigorating scent that people like to use in scrubs and stuff.

Holy CRAP. This is so amazingly beautiful on drydown. It goes all creamy on me! Woohoo! I love. Truly love. Wet, its all floral and sharp. First, the sharpness goes away, within about three to five minutes. Then this beautiful, soft floral arises. And then as it dries longer, maybe 20 minutes or so, this astonishingly lovely creamy scent creeps out. The initial floral phase (about 5 minutes into drydown) before it gets really creamy where it reminds me a lot of the unreleased Toxin, which I also adore. But then it goes on beyond Toxin's prettiness, and becomes even nicer. Wow.

So VERY glad I went with a gut instinct and got a bottle unsniffed. I'd be whining if I had to wait for a bottle of this and Obatala, which I also fell way hard for. I am so incredibly glad this is a general catalogue scent. I have really, really liked this latest update of GCs that came out with Peony Moon, and am thrilled to be able to take my time testing and ordering. And not having to buy a bunch all at once.

For me 5 out of 5.

Edited to add: Yep, even after the excitement of the newness has worn off, I still am wearing this a decent amount. It's not quite a top ten, so it's usually about a once-a-week wear, but I truly enjoy it. As it gets warmer this may come out to play quite a bit more. I do think this has something in common with Ides of March- they both start sharp and go creamy on me, and though I adore Ides, Sundew is not *quite* as amazing... still awesome though.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Why did I think this would work on my skin? Florals almost never do. Smells EXACTLY like Clairol Herbal Essences shampoo on me. :P

In Bottle: Soapy floral

On Skin: Wow! This is strong. I am looking at the description, and I have no idea why I ordered a full 5ml bottle. I’m not a big fan of florals, and the only thing I see in the description that might have grabbed me is “sticky, glowing golden, sweet and terminally inviting scent.” I guess I thought “Honey” right away from that… and this scent is not honey at all. It’s a super strong soapy floral, very clean and sharp and slightly citrusy… either lemon or grapefruit. It wakes me up right away, like a beautiful spring morning when your windows are open and the sun is streaming in and the flowers outside are opening and their dewy scent is filling the air. The scent is golden for sure, with a slightly green and white undertone… that’s the crisp part. I would love to use this as a linen spray or room scent. It’s not really something I’d wear, but I’d love to come home to it.

All I can think of to describe the first whiff of this is: Yellow! Okay, a bit more descriptive: Sunny and light flowers. Maybe a hint of lemony goodness.

On drydown this had a light, bright herbal scent coming through. Sundew is the sweet essence of springtime; a creamy smooth floral. Very nice and refreshing.

In the bottle: Sweet, wet meadow flowers, full of nectar, shiny.

Wet: A grassy smell comes out, a slightly powdery and sweet scent. I think I smell linden blossoms, too.

Drydown: It's a very interesting, juicy mix. It's nearly fruity - possibly lemony - it's full of sweet nectar. It smells soft and dreamy, like lying in a meadow with clover and daisies. There's something dangerous and slightly unpleasant that sometimes wafts in and then disappears again.

Overall: This is like a drop of pink, delicious nectar in a meadow. It smells juicy and delicious... and a little bit dangerous. It's really reminiscent of a meadow in summer, under the linden trees. It does get a bit oversweet and powdery at times, but it's a very pleasant scent that will be great for summer.

I've been having a rough time with the Rappaccini's Garden blends because florals and I tend to not get along, but I still faithfully try each one when it comes out.

Sundew is actually really good on me. It's sticky sweet and vaguely lemony to my nose, almost like lemon Kool-Aid with a lot of extra sugar added. There is also a hint at something green, like a grassy meadow lit up with sunshine.

After about an hour, the zesty lemon scent shifts into more of a creamy scent. I normally hate citrussy scents, but this smells more sugary than sharp.

Nothing about Sundew smells really floral on me and it doesn't go soapy at all. It's sweet, bright, and very pleasant. I might get a 5 ml of this one and I'll definitely be keeping my imp :P

Sundew

In the imp: a crisp, sweet floral with a hint something tangy and dewy. I think there may be daffodil here, and honeysuckle?

Wet on skin: still that wonderfully crisp fresh floral scent, and I think I detect a little bit of green apple.

Dry on skin: so fresh and so clean! That's what this scent is, a fresh, clean, crisp, tart floral with a hint of dew and fruit to it. It's also very sunny and bright. It does have a feel of clean linen sheets to it, but it's not a soapy scent. Makes me think of running through fragrant meadows in the morning on a sunny spring day, wearing a freshly washed white linen dress. There's also a definite apple like crispness and juiciness to it. A lot of people said citrus but I'm sure there's apple in here…it reminds me of that crunch of biting into a green apple and tasting its tart juices. Come to think of it, this is also, to me, the lovechild of the Hesperides and Empyreal Mist, but with an added spring floral component-probably daffodil or narcissus.

After a while: eventually, the scent becomes drier and crisper. It's not as dewy any more, and has more of that clean laundry feel to it, without smelling soapy or very ozonic-but it does have a scent of cloth to it, I think. However, it also keeps its spring blossoms and apple scent as well. This will make a gorgeous linen spray scent.

The tanginess also calms down over time, with the clean, smooth scent becoming more apparent, a combination of soft sunlit spring flowers scattered on a clean white cloth.

Verdict: this is a delightful springtime scent. Sundew is to spring what the Hesperides is to autumn, and a scent sister to Empyreal Mist. A clean, light, crisp blend with elements of dew covered delicately scented flowers and spring blossoms (I'm getting daffodil and maybe some linden and honeysuckle too?). I also get a 'clean linen' scent that brings to mind dazzling white laundered sheets hung out to dry-though this isn't an outright soapy scent though it is reminiscent of some of the nicer laundry detergents out there. I also get apple. Tart green apple, to be precise, crisp and moist and juicy. It's a real apple bite that adds a nice tang to the scent. I really like this fragrance which is breezy and carefree, full of light and sunshine, it's very cheerful and bright. I'm not sure if I need a bottle yet but it's one I'll be wearing a lot of during the warmer months, and I think it will make a lovely room and linen scent!

My emoticon rating: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut