Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Dragon's Blood

Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength.

In the bottle this smells nice, fruity, dragon's bloody, not bad.

Wet: as above, but there is a spicy element perceptible too; maybe nutmeg and/or cinnamon? Still nice, and breaks up the sweet monotony.

Dry: absolutely hideous. Smells exactly like public restroom liquid soap. It is not vaguely, freshly soap-like, it's like bad or cheap soap on me.

It must be the mixture because happily dragon's blood doesn't smell like this normally on me.

In the imp: Undistilled dragon's blood, with the close relation to lilac.

Wet: Extremely floral, and it actually reminds me of the jasmine in Nyx and other blends of that nature.

Drydown and wear: This remains true to its initial application, but it fades quickly. It seems like a great layering blend though, so I'll see what I can do there.

Well, other than my description saying "yup, smells like dragon's blood" I'm not sure what else I can put here. :P It's a very spicy, slighty sweet blend full of warmth and power. < nods >

Bahhhhhhhh...

I am shocked that this is horribly average on me. I usually do well with anything that is dragon's blood resin.

I expected this to be a bit fruitier. Instead it turns quite soapy with a vague hint of greenery - like rose leaves or stems. I don't hate it but I am not sure that I would wear it as there are so many other Ars Draconis blends that I like more.

I will have to give this one another go later. I really want to like it.

Straight, simple dragon's blood on me; it's quite sweet and not that unlike Dragon's Milk (which I love!). Very nice and stays the same through the drydown stage.

Bottle: floral with a hint of resin

Wet: I almost smell cherry blossoms, sweet, a little rose, creamy gardenia, jasmine, lilac

Dry: sweet floral, a bit of earthy resin

This is a gorgeous blend, it's very floral, and very strong, but sweet and creamy with a hint of spice and earthiness, definitely sensual, and exotic, and I'm excited to use this in ritual.

Straight Dragon's Blood goes sadly to camphor on me. :P

I do detect a hint of spicy, jasmine-like floral underneath, but it is eaten by eau de moth ball, and dries down to Playdoh chapati.

Cruel, cruel skin! But I haven't given up hope for the DB blends...

This one also struck me as strange. The bright red oil smells like flowers? It's very pretty lilac and some other florals. But certainly not what I was expecting. I was hoping for fire.

Hmm. This wasn't quite what I expected. It's WAY more floral than I thought it would be. I do love Dragon's Blood but I'm not sure how much I love it plain like this. I could almost swear there is flowers in this. I do like it, but it won't be a favorite.

ETA: I could swear there is lilac in this. The drydown is VERY lilac-y. Not a fan. Nope. This will be swapped.

ETA 2: My skin chemistry has clearly changed in the last few years, because now this blend is AMAZING on me. Light but not too light, floral but not too floral, with something musky/woodsy beneath. I'm totally in love :wub2:

Edited by talula_fairie

I only had a sniffie of this, so I had to work to get enough on my wrist to test. Will definitely be getting more. :->

* First Sniff: Spice and incense.

* On: Very heady -- lots of nose-tingling, same basic scent. I like it. Kind of cinnamon-and-incense, only the hot kind that comes from South Asia, not the sweet, curly-barked South American stuff.

* Dry: Slightly baby-powder, but I think that's my (hormones') fault, and not permanent.

* Long-Term: Didn't last terribly long (3-4 hours strong enough to smell from 8" away), but I attribute that to the paltry size of my sample. Definitely a winner, though.

Bottle: ??? some kind of floral

Wet: LILAC

Dry: Subtle lilac

Throw and longlasting? Not much.

I got this imp to try what dragon's blood resin smells like, because frankly I had no idea, and thought it would be clever to try this before ordering scents where DB is a component. I'm glad I like lilacs :P because, strangely, that is what DB smells like (on me at least, but I seem to be not alone). This is nostalgic and very true to the real flower scent on me, and it makes me remember certain early summer days about a decade ago.

I must admit I had expected something completely different though! No spice, and definately no fire here. It's lovely all the same - soft, feminine, but not shy.

In the vial:

What else? Dragon's Blood

On me:

I don't quite know how to review Dragon's Blood. It's smell is so distinctive and there doesn't seem to be any other way to describe it besides... dragon's blood. It's spicey and strong and yet distinctly floral to me. It makes me think of lilac actually, it has a soft sweet quality to it.

Final note:

Not much else to say - it's pure Dragon's Blood. Smells quite like lilac.

Dragon's Blood is earthy and sweet at the same time, and it's nice because the earthiness and the sweetness balance each other out.

What I'm left with is a red, warm scent. Like I could just sink down into a vat of this and sleep, and absorb its energy. There's definitely a sense of the womb, here.

Wow, for some reason I was sure I wouldn't like Dragon's Blood (maybe I thought it was too sort of hippie-earth-goddess-y? :D ), but I got this as a frimp and it's absolutely LOVELY. In the vial, I smell a kind of floral cherry. On, it blooms into a kind of lily/lilac sweetness, deepened by a little warmth. It's a much lighter smell (in terms of tone?, not strength) than I'd expected, and much more floral - I expected it to be much heavier, much more spicy or resin-y. Instead, it's smooth and sweet, and warm, like blood should be. It's not light in strength - it's fairly strong and is lasting pretty well. Anyway, the good news is that I like this so much, and the bad news is that now I want to try all the other dragon's blood blends as well! :P

Dragon's blood usually smells like a flowery-cherry combination on me, and the scent Dragon's Blood was no exception. It's a lovely scent, and I'm happy with my imp of it - I sometimes use it to give a kick to other scents - but it's not something I would ever buy a bottle of. Still, it's very nice to get to try it on its own, and if you're new to BPAL and dragon's blood, I really recommend trying it out!

I don't know what happened with Dragon's Blood on me. I really, really wanted to like this, and as soon as I put it on my skin, I was nearly knocked out by a waft of sickly, headache-inducing soap. Nooooo :P I can't smell anything else in it at all, no spices, no DB, nothing except "fake" smelling, plasticy, soapy florals of the kind you get in granny's soap.

I hate my skin chemistry :D

Other Ars Draconis blends seem to be alright - Bone and Heart manage on my skin, although they're not favourites - it appears to be just "pure" DB that turns to soap and baby powder on my skin. On to the Swap pile with you!

Edited by Jenesis

I love dragon's blood resin whenever I smell it, so I'm not very surprised that I like this. When I'm sniffing it in this blend, it smells strongly floral. Like a cross between lilies and lilacs. Very little of that slightly cherry-ish scent I sometimes get from dragon's blood. As it's drying it starts to become deeper and more resinous -- almost sticky. I got that same sort of sticky-resin feel from Love Lies Bleeding. I thought that one was a pink scent; this one seems more like white to me because of the floral scent, except that I still think of it as red. Probably because the oil is red. :P

I do like this, but I like Dragon's Milk and Dragon's Musk better.

On me this changes very little from the imp, except to become smoother and deeper. From the 15 minute mark on it doesn't change at all, and after 9 hours it still smells like I've only had it on for an hour. I don't get floral from it (thankfully!), just wonderful rich, warm dragon's blood resin.

Dragon's Blood loves me. :P

"Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength"? Oh yes, as well as sexy as hell!!

Edited by Trishek

I was hoping for a warm, powerful scent, as I love those types, but I got lilac in the bottle and soap on the body. I don't hate lilac, but not what I was expecting. Soap, on the other hand... makes me cry. It was the first scent that went soapy on me, and I'm dissapointed that it did.

I was hoping for the cherry that other people have mentioned, but instead, it's just some sort of...redness, but the red is rancid or something, it's not a good red...mixed with lilac. And something greener and stemmier in there, too. Not knowing what dragon's blood was supposed to smell like, I was hoping for something fruitier, like cherry or Dr. Pepper. I think this might be part of the disappointment I get from Wrath, which is quite icky on me. :-(

Warm, red, with whiffs of smoke, cherry, resin and a hint of floral. I think of DB as a note, not as something to be worn on its own, and I definitely prefer it that way, but this is still something to try.

Wet: Just the typical resinous cherry-earth power scent of dragon's blood.

First on: Warm and strong, but no morphing.

Dry: Still never morphed, which I consider a good thing since it's a single note, basically. It's a bit too strong, even on dry-down, for every-day wear, but I think I'll keep my imp for layering purposes.

bpal dragon's blood does not smell like i expected it to; it doesn't smell anything like any of the dragon's blood incense i've had, which is stronger, deeper, more resiny... this is a lighter, sweeter smell. at first it is a bit like floral soap and then it goes a bit incensey, still strongly floral. apparently dragon's blood itself does not work on me, but most of the blends that contain it (all of the ars draconic blends that i've tried, anyway) do.

In the imp: Dragon's blood. (Smells like soap on me.)

Wet: Dragon's blood. (Still smells like soap on me.)

Drydown: Dragon's blood. (Surprise! Soap!)

I had to give it a go at least once, knowing that DB and I don't get on well at all. Ah well.