Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Dragon's Blood

Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength.

Bottle (Imp): Dragon's blood and flowers.

Just On: It's dragon's blood and flowers to me.

An hour or two later: Soapy dragon's blood.

Around 6 hours: It's now faded soapy dragon's blood. Not too bad, but I'd rather not deal with the soap.

12 hours: Just a little bit of soap is all that's left now.

Overall: Apparently this has the flowers(s) that my skin hates. I won't be ordering a big bottle of this one.

After reading other reviews: What flowers there are turned into soap, so I agree with those who get flowers. I don't think I'll be after more of this one.

I recently got an Imp of Dragon's Blood from a swap. The day I got it I also got 5 other swaps in, so I was sitting on my living room floor with a shit-eating grin on my face and a pile of Imps I was happily sniffing my way through.

I got to Dragon's Blood and my eyes lit up. I placed it aside, planning to start a "try on first" pile. Every single last one I sniffed just didn't push Dragon's Blood off the moutain. *grin*

It smells like power. It's earthy, and warm - almost hot without cinnamon - and on my skin it melts into drooling-worthy goodness.

This is the best Dragon's Blood blend I've ever smelled. It's so much smoother than the regular, incensey, dragon's blood scent I expected. There's a gorgeous, creamy, underlying smoothness, a bit of a floral. It's a glorious, red, sexy smell. Another masterpiece, me likey much!! :P

Eh??...This dragon's blood smells like jasmine. In the imp, on skin wet to drydown, JASMINE. :D

Hubby walked into the room and said, "You're wearing jasmine today". :P

Methinks, nothing is wrong with this imp, but something ain't right :D

Guess I'll have to try another.

In the bottle, it was sweet. Not at all what I was expecting. On the skin, it turned floral. Lilacs to be specific. Half an hour later, still lilacs, and the beginnings of a headache because it's so cloying. Bummer. :P I had been looking forward to this. Off to the swap pile I guess.

Uh-oh. I got this is a frimp from the Lab (thanks, guys! I do so love your fabulous customer service and your awesome freebies), but I had just tried my Dragon's Bone and was rapidly coming to the conclusion that dragon's blood and I were never going to be the best of friends. :P

Unfortunately this reinforced that. I'm not a huge florals fan anyway, and that's what this was to me: spicy red florals. Very strong spicy red florals, I should say. A teensy dab stayed on me all day, to the point where I actually got tired of smelling it. Far too warm and soft-smelling for me... I suppose I'll try this again another day, maybe layer it with something, but I don't have high hopes. If I ever start swapping, this will be the first to go.

at first: i love dragon's blood. almost fruity, almost floral. gorgeous.

on: beautiful. sweet and floral, but unlike any flowers i've ever smelled. definitely a powerful scent. lovely.

1 hour later: powdery and lovely.

2.5 hours later: still lovely. not as powdery. wonderful.

overall: i just adore dragon's blood. there's also something about this that gave me a good surge of energy. it just makes me feel powerful and secure.

I'm not quite shure how to describe Dragon's blood except that I like it and I like anything that contains it.On me it is fruity/musky and nice!! I find all the ars draconis scents very comforting.

I really love dragon's blood scents, they smell so.. warm and otherwordly that it's hard to believe this smell comes from a plant. It smells so.. animalistic!

very warm and comforting... much more floral than other ars scents i've tested. In fact, after a while, the floral is much more pronounced.. it kind of smells like a musky gardenia or other white flower.

Hmm.. though i really like this scent while wet, it loses some of the punch as it dries. Whereas Dragon's Heart just gets richer and fuller as it dries, Dragon's Blood becomes softer and floral. Not sure if this one is me or not... just a wee bit too floral.

Oh I am disappointed :D I have never smelled dragons blood before in any form and I was hoping it would be more resiny and incensy than it is seeing as it comes from a resin. And I LOVE dragons so much, I really wanted to love this!

Dragons blood is a beautiful colour in the imp. On opening the imp I got a massive waft of florals. Not a good start, I just can't do florals, instant headache material :P .

One VERY small dab - more florals, jasmine and lilac and all things that I just can't wear. I'm sure if you like jasmine, lilac, lilies and other strongly scented flowers, this would be great, but its just not for me. Gutted.

Great staying power, it is as strong now as a couple of hours ago, but I think I'm going to have to wash it off.

Off with you dragons blood, to the great imp swap pile.

B

*sniffles* I had big hopes for this scent, because I'm madly in love with Blood Amber. But, alas, when I opened the imp, the first scent to hit me was cherry...LOTS of it. Strike one.

On, it turned into cherry/florals. Strike Two.

It was so strong I got a headache from the scent. Strike Three.

*waves as the sad little imp makes it's way to the swap pile*

I don't get any cherries in this. In the vial and on skin I get a strong piercing spicy scent (sorry I'm not good with notes). I'm not very familiar with florals, except rose, so this could be floral. But it isn't subtle or overly feminine.

However, this reminds me of a hair dressing I used as a child and it's hard for me to be objective. It could be a nice smell but I really can't stand that dressing.

this smelled like straight jasmine out of the bottle..

then 20 minutes later its jasmine mingling with sandalwood incense..

i hate jasmine, but that phase is very short lived..

it smells like a buttery floral and incense mix--this makes me think of

"the never ending story" and the 80s.

feeling nostalgic..

Been wearing it now for a week and its growing on me even more.. this seems like a second skin scent to me--it smells like one of those candied apples--not like the apple but the sticky red candy caramelly coating they put on it ..not really too sweet--its like a musky, vanilla, spicy, smoky smell...i thought it was very light at first, but i stell smell wiffs of it the day after wear and it smells better on skin the day after--on skin thats a little "dirty" meaning not freshly showered..

it just reminds me of these stores in china town that sell old red lacquer furniture and they are burning their spicy chinese incense which is very different from indian incense--chinese incense smells like dragon's blood..

looking forward to my soon arriving dragon's heart--hoping its kicked up a notch...

loooooveeeee :P

Edited by perfumediva

And the final Ars Draconis scent I review (at least until Beth adds more!) is the simplest one. Hee hee.

First sniff: I finally got around to ordering the single note DB after loving it in pretty much everything. The color in the vial is just fantastic – bright maraschino-cherry red. And it smells a tiny bit like cherries, too – it’s sweeter than I expected without anything reining it in.

Wearing: Just a couple of seconds on my skin and it goes from pure sweetness to a sweet-resin scent; there’s a deeper-something-underneath that doesn’t show up in the vial.

Dragon's blood smells like cherry candy on my skin, and this mix is no exception. It's slightly floral underneath, but sadly, pure cherry candy.

Off to the swap pile.

I am a huge dragon's blood fan. I burn the resin alot, and I have an oil by Azuregreen that has been my signature for a while. But I'm excited to try BPAL'S version!

in vial: hmm. very light, I'm only getting a rose-ish smell

wet on skin: um... ick. I'm getting a cherry cough medicine smell. I hope it smells better on dry-down.

dry on skin: It's alright. it reminds me some of my beloved Hell's Belle and Hades, but that cherry cough medicine smell isn't really going away. Also I can not detect any sort of resin in it! It is way too floral for some reason. hmm. oh well. I guess I'll just stick with my azuregreen DB. It was fun trying a different version though!

Edited by ancilla

Very first Ars Draconis fragrance..YAY!!!

Frimp compliments of the Lab..many thanks..as always!!! :P

You know...up until a 20 minutes ago..I was sure that doing this review of Dragon's Blood would be a slam dunk. I mean..I had smelled dragon's blood resin in other BPAL fragrances...so I was SURE that I knew what I would be smelling...(swaggering)...THIS is going to be a piece of cake.

You can't imagine....how wrong I was... :D

Inital sniff from imp: I am fully expecting the blast of warm fruity cherries to assault me...and instead I smell...florals??? Huh??? :D Kinda like lily..or maybe it's lilac or jasmine..but defintely florals...

Applied wet on skin: Oh YEAH...it's floral in the house..and on my skin. I am so very confused...ans a bit taken aback. It is SO lilac and I gues a bit of jasmine..and maybe lily. But here is the kicker...out of all florals..most of which I am non-committal either way..the only one that has really tickled my fancy is....LILAC. :D So..as shocked as I am that I am not smelling luscious warm fruity cherries...I am also very shocked that I am smelling me some gorgeous white floral..namely lilacs...

Couple of minutes drying on skin: No cherries, no fruit..it's all my wonderful lilac floral..and I couldn't be more stunned or happy.

Drydown: You guessed it..all floral..almost like a white floral..white lilac..maybe some jasmine/lilly too???

Bottom Line: Dragon's Blood totally shocked me...I was expecting warm fruity blast..and instead..I got lilac/floral blast...I don't know if my frimp was mis-labelled or what..but right now I don't give a shit. I love it. I actually checked some other reviews..and maybe I am not the only one....which is a relief..because I thought my nose went wonky. For me, Dragon's Blood on my skin..is the quintessential spring/summer scent. I think this is going to be a strong contender for a 5ml purchase.

Warm, unique, and very strong-smelling. Dragon's Blood does have a floral aspect, but it's smooth and warm and resin-y. I put on just a teeny bit, and it was really plenty! I really like Dragon's Blood, but I'm not sure if I can wear it or not - it may be a bit too strong for me. I'll have to give it another try to be sure.

I'm always startled by the bright red of Dragon's Blood. It looks more sharply red than it smells, I think. The scent itself is warm, but it's haloed, if that makes any sense. It's a little like jasmine on me, a little like resin, but not either of those things. As it dries, the sweetness becomes more potent, more smoky. It's not a strong scent, but it lingers and pervades. Lovely. Fascinating.

In the bottle/imp: Citrusy spice over wet , fresh lilies.

Wet on my skin: I don't normally like florals, but dragon's blood is very unique! The sweet and spicy citrus note is gone, leaving a thin veil of tart resin over a powerful lily note. This is not as powdery as most florals are on me.

Drydown on my skin: softened, resined liles.

This is a very complex scent and it has definite sex appeal. However though I like florals on other people, I just can't stand them on myself - I might wear this once in a while but certainly not all the time.

Wow. So it turns out I can't wear dragon's blood. After all the reviews I read here, I was so looking forward to all the Ars Draconis blends...::grumbles::

Instead, every one I tried turned immediately to an ambery rose smell when it hit my skin. Nothing else, just straight-up roses. No cherries, no spice. It even drowned out the fruits in Dragon's Heart.

I don't *want* to smell like roses. Bah. Stupid skin chemistry.

I had absolutely no idea what dragon's blood smelled like before I tried this. I Googled it and that still didn't tell me much of anything beyond the fact that it's a resin and not actual blood (which I thought, when I was very new and in some ways somewhat misguided). It's bright red, which should either make me nervous or make me happy. I always liked red candy, but I don't know how I feel about smelling like an Atomic Fireball.

I did not expect it to smell like flowers. Spring in New England kind of flowers, like the ones that grew in my backyard when I was a kid, and it was still cold enough to warrant wearing a cardigan sweater, but warm enough that I didn't have to wear a jacket. This is pretty!

When I put it on, it turns into spicy flowers - spring flowers with a sharp bite, and yet still sweet. Maybe too sweet - not how lotus turns out on me, but more like sticking your nose into a huge bouquet of fragrant flowers. Interesting, different, something I wouldn't have thought of to try, because of the 'blood' thing ... but I know better now.

I like this, and if the time comes that I like it enough to get a 5ml, I will. But for now, I'll just keep and use up this imp. 7/10.