Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Dragon's Blood

Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength.

Mmmmm, Dragon's Blood.

This is the scent of warmth, vitality, sensuality that I love (and everyone else around me hates). It's warm, resinous, kind of like spicy lilacs with just the tiniest hint of sugar behind it.

On the other hand, my mother says it smells like strong, strong, strong cherry candies.

I love it, but my family hates it, and into the swaps it goes. :P

Origin:

I got an imp of this from Roguefeenix. :P

First sniff:

Mmm, sweet spicy dragon's blood. I love the smell of dragon's blood and I'm not surprised that BPAL's take on it doesn't disappoint. This is just right; not too overpowering, not too sweet and not too powdery like some dragon's blood oils I've tried have been.

Wet on skin:

This blends in beautifully with my skin's natural scent. It's subtle but very present at the same time if that makes sense. It's spicy and resinous and slightly sweet without veering into cherry territory. I'm very impressed by this, as a matter of fact. :D

Dry down:

I'm assuming this really is a single note like I thought it was because all I get is dragon's blood and the perfect dragon's blood at that. It's very quietly powerful smelling...the kind of powerful that comes from cunning and strategy, not from sheer brute strength. It's subtle, but it still somehow commands attention. Very well done!

The bottom line:

Probably the best dragon's blood oil I've had the pleasure of trying. It's not overpowering or heavy and it has just the right balance of sweet resin and spice. :D

There's really no way to review Dragon's Blood, because it smells like....well....dragon's blood.

I will say, however, that this is the best dragon's blood I've ever smelled, and that if you want to try the scent, start with this one. Not only is it fantastic on its own, but the layering possibilities are endless. Dragon's Blood is sweet, smokey, dark, and warm.

I adore this. I bought a 5ml , but I doubt that will be enough :P

Oh this is nice. I haven't tried many dragon's blood blends, save dragon's milk - and this one is a bit sharper. It's not a sweet powder like the milk was, it reminds me of .. red. Crimson. With some kind of red berry in the background.. IT's so complex, but it's so nice and this one will be a keeper. I wasn't sure when I first sniffed it, but the longer it's on, the more I know I need to keep this imp.

:P

This is gorgeous. Warm and sweet and possibly my new favorite floral smell. I'd like to smell this layed or in blends, though. I'm going to treasure my imp and I suspect my next order is going to be dragon's blood heavy. *sniffs wrist compulsively*

sweet rich Dragons blood. I think I like blood amber better as it has a deeper grounding note, but Dragon's Blood is a wonderful scent in it's own right. Sweet but not sugary, flowery but not floral, not cloying but very present, resinous but not dark. it's just a great smell! You just can't go wrong with dragon's blood!

This is a gimp from the lab. :D

I love Dragon's Blood. This smells *just* like the resin. It's strong without being overwhelming, and it just pulses with comfort, strength and vitality. I love it. I tend to like blends with Dragon's Blood in them; now I think I've changed my mind. I want it all on its own. This is fantastic! Thanks lab! :P

I certainly did not expect to like this at all. I’d smelled it countless times before and been put off by it every single one of them. It was always too fruity, too floral, too something…

The first time I tried this version I was put off. It was very strong and vaguely harsh rosy.

Recently, I tried it again.

It was subtle and sweet and almost tropical. It reminds me of a flower I can’t put my finger on, some sort of Iris mixed with some fruit (not a hint of cherry for me though).

I can’t see myself wearing this everyday, but I will definitely finish the imp.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Spicy musk.

In the bottle: Spicy cherry?

On skin, wet: I don't get any cherry on my skin, just a spicy-sweet musk that my skin seems to adore, for all that it's amping it up.

On skin, dry: Spicy musk! Dragon's blood rarely goes bad on me, so this isn't surprising.

Conclusion: I've tried my share of "Dragon's Blood" scents, and BPAL's is easily my favourite.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: Wow. Strong. This has notes that remind me of rose and resin with a little bit of something else in it that I have problems trying to pin down.

Wet: Cherry but not the cough syrup cherry. This is a spiced, resin soaked cherry. There are nice floral notes in this as well. Rose, I think. But it might be something else as well. I didn't think I was going to like the whole dragon line, but this one and Dragon's Milk are surprisingly nice.

Dry down: As it dries, it gets a little more punchy, though. That incense/resin/cinnamon smell comes out of the rest of it more. The rose is still in the background, but it's not as nice as it was wet. Except that now the resin scent fades into the back and leaves me with a slightly spicey rose. This is a warmer rose smell than some of the other rose blends I have. The cherry in the background is also coming out a little more than I might be comfortable with.

Dry: Oh...that's sad. The resin comes out more leaving the rose way, way in the background. Just as well, though, because I really don't need any more blends. :P And yet not it has an odd chocolate/resin scent. Weird. While this has some lovely stages, it's just not for me. I think I'll stick with my slightly sweeter, more tame Dragon's Milk.

Dragon's Blood:

Having purchased other Dragon's Blood scents in the past (usually candles), I was pretty sure I'd know what to expect from this. I was dead wrong. Beth's version of Dragon's Blood is very sweet, slightly berry with hints of resin. It's a very, very nice blend, and I like it quite a bit.

Imp: Wow. Power in a bottle. Bit fruity, red.

Wet: Snow covered cherry and something else.

Few seconds: Mmm. Sweetness. Can't keep my nose off my wrist.

Drydown-long term: Long lasting scent on me, sweet, subtle, energetic, a little bit bright - again, got some cherry but not overtly fruity.

Color: It's unapologetically red.

Cat's reaction: She liked it.

How it worked at work: Stayed on me all day hanging out and being subtle, no refreshing needed - and it was a long day. No comments, either, which is generally good.

Final verdict: A lot like me, "It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for." Happy scent for my skin. Definitely need a bottle.

I'm not so good at picking out notes yet, but that will come with more sniffing I imagine.

5/12 update: Apparently this is a mighty-morphing-scent, because my coworker said it smelled like flowers. He could have been referring to the roses in the office, though.

Edited by pensive

in the vial - sweet, somewhat soapy honeysuckles. Interesting.

wet - smells almost like vetiver or something else smoky and sweet. I think I like this even though I usually don’t like things quite this sweet.

drydown - I don’t know if it’s the color or my association with Blood Rose (one of my faves), but I’m getting a bit of rose. This is very interesting and pleasant.

dry - mmm, zingy and salty sweet and rosey. Fresh yet with a faint musky/smoky undertone. It seems to be almost activating my salivatory glands. *blush*

I don’t know how much I’ll wear this oil, but I have a feeling I’ll use up my imp. I'm very hip to the rosey nature this oil assumes on my skin.

Oh, this is just great!

I was surprised at how floral and smooth Dragon's Blood was. Both from the description and from previous experiences, I would have expected something much heavier and probably fruitier too, but this is admirably balanced.

It makes sense, though, when comparing it to other Ars Draconis scents: here is the floral note of Dragon's Milk, and here is what makes Dragon's Tears so smooth in spite of its saltiness.

I never would have ordered it myself (thank you Lab for the imp!), but I am truly impressed with it. As a perfume, I still prefer the other, more layered draconic blends, however, I bet Dragon's Blood would be gorgeous in a scented lotion or as a scented soap.

*Wanders off plotting much Dragon's Blood scented craftiness*

Imp-encased: Even with the cap on, Dragon's Blood seems to be poised to burst out of the glass in a diabolical concoction of (what smells like) cherries and something else I can't quite put my finger on. And lo! The cap is removed to release a warm wave of berries and bottled life.

Wet: A warm, spiced fruit wine, euphoric and sweet. I can almost taste the flavour empowering me.

Drydown: More intense. I can imagine this fluid pulsating and pumping through the veins of a dragon in huge, powerful torrents of mmm... It's warm and golden-smelling; if I close my eyes I feel like I'm floating in it, in a heady globe of delicious roundness, as if I'm in the womb.

Dry: It gradually becomes more fruity and resinous, and there's still that heat and yum-factor that I noticed before

This definitely is a favourite. It sometimes deceptively fades in and out, and just when I think it's gone, it warms up again and reminds me it's still there. I think it works better when my skin is warm, because when I woke up, I could smell it violently, but when I was colder, I almost couldn't smell it at all.

I love the way it's so bold and daring. It makes me want to do something wicked!

I am fascinated by how Dragon's Blood as a note reacts so differently on so many people ... on me, it is pure gardenia, as if I were drenched in White Shoulders, memories of eighth grade when it was my first real "signature scent" ...

I love having a few imps of this so I can play with layering it beyond the wonderful other Ars Draconis blends.

REVISITED MARCH 2013:

Picked up another imp in a small imp purchase on the forum.

IMP: Again, amazed as always how this is so many things to so many people and so relieved that to me it is NOT cherry (one of my top dealbreaker scents). I DO see the lilac comps more now than I did a few years ago (maybe menopause will do that). I'd still also say gardenia, but maybe a combination of the two?

Dabbed on right wrist and in crook of right arm, with Dragon's Bone test-driving on left.

WET: I still get gardenia but more like a "red gardenia" if there were such a thing. And definitely FRESH lilacs as if I were sticking my nose in the 10-foot-tall lilac bush that grows in my backyard for about 15 minutes every spring (hey, I bought a one-foot sprig at Whole Foods one year and stuck in the in the ground ... I'm glad to have ANYTHING). It's just pure, gorgeous floral, something lush and rich and heady and yet at the same time just slightly other-worldly and healing.

DRYDOWN: This has a LOT of legs on me. When I dab on a scent heavy in DB I can smell it in little throws for DAYS afterwards (I guess from my desk, or chair, or whatever). And every single throw is comforting and uplifting.

OVERALL: Yup. Big bottle required for layering. Because, dontcha know, EVERYTHING goes better with a little dragon's blood.

On a scale of 1-5, you guessed it, a 5.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Bitter-sweet, strong and with a woody bottom line.

Sweet but not cloying, it's a very special scent, a bit dry at the end.

I haven't smelt something like this before. Strange and lovely at the same time.

Good lasting power. I've got a bottle coming! :P

In the bottle: Hmmm. Very nice with a scent that is familiar but I can't quite place it.

Wet on wrist: I've never smelled anythng with Dragon's Blood in it before but this is simply devine. Very powerful and bright.

Dry on wrist: Nice. It has mellowed out but still is wonderful. It's fading fast though. This is one that I will probably have to touch up.

Later at a gas station: Some woman tells me that I smell good and wants to know what perfume I'm wearing. I can smell anything except that barest hint when I hold my wrist to my nose.

That night: I havent touched up since four PM and it is now eight. My mother tells me that I smell like a flower.

I have come to the conclusion that for some unknown reason, the scents seems to fade extremely fast for me but to others, it still clings. I really need to remember this so that I dont overdo the scent.

Dragon's Blood is one of the very few BPAL scents that smells the same on me from the vial, application, and drydown. This is the sweetest, cleanest earthy scent I have ever smelled, but it seems to lack a little something for me. I think I will stick to the other Draconis blends, as Dragon's Blood seems best to have something else blended with it.

But this definitely has lots of layering potential.

My word, upon the application, Dragon's Blood to me smells like...

BUBBLE BATH?!

Honestly, I'm going to sing a little song...

Just me in the tub,

Me in the tub,

Me in the tub with Dragon's Blood!

Bubbles in the tub.

Bubbles in the tub.

Bubbles in the tub with Dragon's Blood!

I'm bouncing up and down in my chair as I write this (yes, I am insane) with my little Dragon's Blood Bubble Bath tune. Throughout my wear, it continues to smell like an alternate line of Mr Bubble. Mr Hell Bubble, maybe? "Bubble Bath for your little demon."

Dragon's Blood is this rather clean, lightly fruity(?), bubbly kind of Ars Draconis scent that I actually sort of dig. I don't picture caves with scary dragons... I'm thinking something more along the lines of that Gon dinosaur: cute, but can still bite. But mostly cute.

:::does her little dance to the song in her head about bubble bath:::

No, this isn't a big bottle purchase for me, but I will hold onto the imp. It's bubble bath in an imp bottle, and who wouldn't like that?

-doreen

Dragon's Blood is by far my favorite scent, both in day wear and magickally. For my birthday, a friend gifted me with a bottle of dragon's blood he got from the guy that makes all his oils. It's dark brown and very strong in all meanings of the word, being resinous & not cherry in the least. Because I have that, I wasn't going to order the BPAL version, but it was a freebie with my Mi-Go. :P

In the bottle: More resinous than I was expecting, it's a nice balance of resin & cherry floral.

First on: Ok, this one is very floral now. Floral with a bit of resin, but almost no cherry, which is good.

Drydown: The resin has come back to the forefront.

Overall, while I never expected anything bad to come out of BPAL, I was still impressed with the quality of this. I still prefer the other stuff I have, but if I ever run out before my friend can grab me some more, I know that BPAL will make a good substitution.

I'm such a great fan of dragon's blood! =) I wear the resin all the time, so I was excited when this frimp came from the Lab for me.

In the vial - ??? All I can smell is florals... Lilacs and honeysuckle, to be exact... I'm a dragon's blood fanatic, so this highly confuses me.

Wet - Still completely floral, although I'm picking up what smells like tea roses. Maybe just a hint of jasmine, too... The lilac is much more faint now, too. What the heck?

Drying - Holy throw, Batman! This stuff just floats around me like a floral halo. There's some rosewood underneath all that now, giving it just a tinge of woodiness. I keep expecting something fruity for some reason, too, but there's none of that. The honeysuckle is what's REALLY throwing. Wow...

Dry (2 hours) - This is practically a lilac single note on me. =/ I don't get the scent of dragon's blood at all. (Even my co-workers can't smell any dragon's blood, so it's not just my nose.)

Overall - Well, seeing as this turned into a strong, cloying floral on me, I don't think I'm going to be keeping it. Lilac and I don't get along well on normal days; add honeysuckle and sweet rose to it and you have enough to give me a headache. I really wish this had been true dragon's blood, since the resin smells wonderful on me. *sighs*

So many people love this... I feel like a freak for how bad it turns on my skin :P. I haven't done well with any blends that had dragon's blood as a main note... but I tried this on anyhow. For some reason, this is that awful smell that I hated in other blends - like cherry cough syrup, red wine gone bad, and a bouquet of rotting flowers. Three things that smell pretty bad. At least trying this has given me the confirmation that I needed - no more perfume with dragon's blood in them. :D

Dragon's Blood - Hmmm, I don't know... it's nice, a little sweet, a little floral. I don't dislike it, nor do I especially like it. I can't really explain it. It's like sniffing your own bare skin and somebody asks you, so do you like that smell? Ummmm, what smell? Uhhhhh...

It's a very clean smell, is what. A neutral sort of soap, but not soapy either. Trust me, I hate soapy scents, turns me right off. This is just... clean. And puzzling. Do I like this? :P

Maybe it's that this is meant to be blended with other scents... I need to try some Dragon's Blood blends, that's certain. I was hoping trying this would help me determine whether or not I would like the many blends with Dragon's Blood, but it hasn't helped me in the least! It's so weird, I'm at a loss for words... Maybe this is just the perfect compliment for my own natural scent?

This might be good for wearing when I'm not feeling great, when just the thought of putting on perfume gives me a headache, but I still want to smell good.