Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Dragon's Blood

DRAGON'S BLOOD

Powerful, commanding, blazing with strength.

I have, over the years, smelled countless different dragon's blood oils, but none have come close to Beth's.

My husband and I once tried to explain Dragon's Blood to someone, and came up with it being somewhere between a rose and a cherry scent, though with a hint of earthy ruggedness mixed in. That's what I am getting from BPAL's version as well, but smoother. Creamier. More sensual. Somewhat exotic. Definitely sexy.

I have yet to use this as a ritual oil, but I bet it would be simply divine!

It's rich, mystical, dark and sensual. The color smells very red to me. Think not primary red, but definately BLOOD red. Beth's Dragon's Blood draws very good energy. Mmmmm

Update: I can't wear this anymore without getting a headache. I do much better now with dragon's blood blends such as Blood Amber or Dragon's Musk. :P

Edited by arachne

Initial Sniff: Dragon's Blood, how I love thee! Rich blood red, deep, slightly sweet resin... ahhhh.

Wearing: Wearing this as a single note (as opposed to in a blend) is actually kind of disconcerting. I am not someone who practices magick of any kind, but this just pulses with power.

Final Impressions: I'll probably still to the dragon's blood blends for fragrance purposes, but I'll hang on to this imp because I'd love to explore that feeling of power some more.

Yes this is powerful for sure, in a very good way. The Dragons Blood scent is wonderful. After getting this imp I really need a large bottle. It not only is strong and smells great but gives me a feeling of strength. The description says it all.

Berry/resin like but not too sweet, just an all around must have oil.

Dragon's Blood.

I have yet to give Dragon's Blood a test in a voodoo sort of way.

As a perfume, it's sweet and sort of rosey-lilacy with dark woodsmells.

In the vial: Dragon's Blood smelled very much like a combination of Lilac and Muguet to me.

Wet, on my skin: Still reminds me of lilac and muguet, but with something sweet and syrupy behind it.

On drydown: The lilac and muguet have faded, and the sweet syrupy note becomes the dominant note. It is only on drydown that I detect the Dragon's Blood that is a component of Dragon's Milk, one of my favorite BPAL oils.

This blend really does PULSE with warmth, strength, and vitality. To me, it has kind of an indistinct sweet, warm, round scent -- a bit of cherry, a bit of skin and sweat, and a bit of earthy spice. It is impossibly sexy. Blends in very well with my skin and just surrounds me with a vibrant aura.

I like to put it on in the mornings before work, because it really does charge me up with a sense of sharpness and power. It gets my blood pumping, and makes me feel awake and alive -- very useful on winter mornings!

:P

Dragon's Blood can get slightly powdery smelling on me, but not in a bad way. It just powders itself down, rather than turning into baby powder. It's slightly soapy smelling, or is that just because I've been using terri's soap lately? A bit floral with a soft pink note under it. How do you describe a single note? I don't know but it's lovely and every oil with dragon's blood in it has been a success for me.

In bottle: It's that unique resin scent that reminds me of jasmine and berries. Dragon's Blood all by itself is very powerful; it almost needs to be blended with other things because it's too strong on its own.

On me: The berry-like note is stronger than that which reminds me of jasmine. This unique aroma is a key note in all of the Ars Draconis blends and is so distinctive that I have trouble comparing it to anything else. It smells like Dragon's Blood, which seems lame but is the best description I can come up with! By itself it is simply too powerful for me to wear; it seems overwhelming to me.

Edited by k00kaburra

Dragon's Blood smells on me exactly like church on Easter morning - HYACINTH, and lots of it. It's a beautiful, delicate yet pervasive scent, even though it's not what I expected.

In bottle ~ Slightly fruity, perhaps a cherry scent. I'm not particularly fond of cherries. It's hard to tell what the scent is, and I may be swayed by the nearly flourescent red color of the oil.

Wet ~ It makes my nose hairs stand on end. I can place the scents now, I think: heavy florals and resins.

Drying ~ There's something medicinal going on here. It smells a bit like a first-aid kit or the scent that comes from opening a tin of bandages. As Laurell K. Hamilton worte abut the snake-like scent of vampires, it's rather "neck-ruffling."

Dry-down ~ The scent is fading pretty fast. The alarming edge to it is gone, but it still smells wrong. It's an oddly practical, no-nonsense scent at this point. As if, at the beginning it went through and scared off the enemy, and now it's looking all the stuff they dropped on the way out of the cave.

Dry ~ I haven't developed a rash or anything, but I've noticed that the skin on my face has been tighening and prickling since I first applied the oil. It reminds me of road trips when we drive through a skunk waft. Oddly, my nose hairs aren't trying to crawl up my sinuses, so it's not exactly the same sort of reaction.

The scent itself is developing a sweet edge: the cherry-ish smell from my initial sniff from the bottle is coming back. I'm getting the image of lollipops at the doctor's office, right after they make that "bunny-ears" puncture for the TB tests.

Summary ~ This is the closest I've come to scent-borne *heebie-jeebies* since I reviewed Torment. This is also the second time I've tried Dragon's Blood. This could be a good ritual scent for annointing items with a powerful intent, but re-introducing it to my body-chemistry would just freak me out again.

Edited by byrdie

Most of the BPALs containing dragon's blood resin don't work on me, and now I know why. On me, Dragon's Blood is a peculiar mix of vaguely sweet soapiness with a slight spicy-ness. I don't really like smelling like soap, no matter what the other modifiers may be, so I will be swapping this one away.

First Impression: Pure, juicy-sweet dragon's blood.

Second Impression: This is potent and sweet, much sweeter on it's own then in any of the other blends it appears in. I just love dragon's blood resin but on it's own it may be a bit too heady for me.

Final Analysis: This is the purest form of this scent that I've ever encountered. I'm going to mix this imp into some body cream to layer with all my other dragon's blood blends.

I was very curious as to how this would work for me given that Dragon's blood blends never seem to do the proper earthy spiciness bit on me. This is a slightly fruity floral on my skin, almost lilly-like in the floral sense, rather light, and with a slightly juicy undertone. It's nice to finally smell the scent that is so chameleon like on me all the time. Lovely, potent, not firey and earthy on my but still nice.

This was a gift imp from the lab, and a very useful one. For a while now I have been suspecting that I may be allergic to Dragon’s Blood. Thus, I was wary but curious to test it out on its own.

First, I noticed that while I do not get a burning reaction (huzzah) it does seem to trigger my asthma, but not strongly, so I was able to continue the test. On my skin, Dragon’s Blood is very much like jasmine, but even stronger and sweeter. It is almost fruity. Just like jasmine, I find that I do like it very much as a single note even though it tends to overpower the other notes in a blend on my skin.

Once upon a time a girl named Nyx had some great Dragon's Blood from a place called Nuit Unlimited. She loved it and wore it often, but the little bottle lasted her a few years, so when she finally needed another bottle, none was to be had. Nuit Unlimited has disappeared like a tear in the ocean.

So she went without and was very cross.

Enter BPAL to the rescue! This smells like the Dragon's Blood I remember. I had tried other Dragon's Blood oils and they smell like bubblegum, like they are using a type of Dragon's Blood I am not used to. Found out today there are so many kinds of Dragon Blood trees and plants...never knew.

But BPAL is something special. Ah, the memories come back. When I first put it on, it sorta disappeared and I sighed. Then, it came back with a vengence. I have been wearing it for 5 hours and it shows no signs of stopping.

Ordered a bottle of this tonight and have to thank dreamwalkblue again for getting me the imp quickly so I could sample it.

Oh, the scent? Pure love! At once, fruit, woods, resin, herbs...they combine in a symphonic manner to tickle the senses and make the wrist a truly sensual experience. Powerful unique stuff! :P

Edited by Madame Nyx

the first dragons blood blend i smelled was the beautiful sweet, dragon's milk. this is like a polar opposite :P it is very dark, sweet, yet sassy, an earthy, red,spicey scent not nearly as "cherry" as i feared. I love it.

I don't get anything fruity or flowery at all. On me this is a bright, spicy resiny scent. I love all of the Dragon's Blood blends, so I was curious to try the single note (thanks lorajc!!!). This is a very powerful scent, makes me want to stand up tall. I love it.

In the bottle: As with some others, this smells to me very strongly of jasmine. Only fruity and bright. It's very, very strong.

Wearing: Well, it's starting to take on a synthetic smell to it. Wow, this is sweet. Some people say this smells fiery, but it smells candy-ish to me, and not really in a good Bordello-like way.

Later: Hmm. Well, now it's smoky, which I like. All I have to do is get past the first hour or two and it's fine. I think this would be lovely for layering, and maybe for a bath or a candle. I'm not sure I would wear it alone, though.

Edit: OK, um, nevermind. Can we say "soap"? I did use the imp in my bath and it was very nice for that purpose, but again, definitely not something I would wear.

Edited by voodoobaby

Thank you lab for sending me this one as it isn't something I would probably have ever ordered for myself. I've been putting off trying it, not ever having smelled anything with this note in it. Wow, what a surprise, not at all what I expected. On me this is an absolutely wonderful floral scent. I just can't decide what it smells like more, fresh cut roses or lilacs. Either way, I love it and now must try all the dragons blood scents!

In the bottle, it was incense-y and slightly spicy.

Once I put it on, the spice came out, a bit darker... reminded me slightly of smoke. There's a certain sweetness to it, and a bit of the metallic scent similar to blood. There's an ancient sort of strength in the smell.

As it faded, it stayed fairly spicy, but mellowed down a lot... more of a slumbering dragon, but still with just as much power underneath the surface.

Not so good at picking out individual notes, and while it wasn't precisely like the Dragon's Blood incense I used to have and love, I liked it quite a bit.

I agree with the reviewer that said it smells like a church at Easter. I smell Easter lilies, and lots of them. So strong that I almost sneeze from the memory of pollen.

White lilies are the only lilies that I can handle, so yay - this is almost too much for me, but it's nice. There is an earthy base to the screaming floral - I think that's what saying "pollen!" to me.

This is very like Villainess Datura soap. I think they would go lurvely together. Mmm, maybe some Dragon Blood lotion after a nice long Datura shower.... mmm.

This is a very, very strong and heady floral on me. I don't get any of the earthiness, spiciness, or fruitiness that others have described- just straight up floral for me. It doesn't smell of any one particular flower to me, more of a blend, and it is in no way an innocent scent.

Alas, this is a scent that I don't think smells all that good on me- I swear my skin does something to it, because what everyone else describes is so different from what I'm getting. It's a bit choking and overwhelming. Shame, because the bright red color is really striking, and I'd love to use a bright red oil.

Spicey, heady lilac. Lilac. I was wierded out, since I associate the name "dragon's blood" with something hotter, stronger, and drier. But this isn't a "purple", misty lilac, and although it's a floral, it's an unexpected one. Definately not a scent for me, but one I can appreciate.