Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Death Cap

A lethal poison bundled up in a dainty, innocent little package that was oft times found in ancient witches’ flying ointments and astral projection balms. A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

This is really beautiful!!

At first sniff it's a sharp green-with-a-hint-of-spice-vanilla & freshly dug dirt. On skin it turns to a creamy vanilla and cedar with the dirt lingering quietly in the background. Within 10-20 minutes it's so light I can hardly smell a thing unless I plaster my nose to my wrist but then it strengthens and becomes the most gorgeous, spicy vanilla. The sweetness is subtle. The fresh dirt note is still there but barely. It remains close to the skin but I catch whiffs of it here and there. Wears well after getting past the disappearing act of the first few minutes.
I just might have to get a bottle of this :P

In the vial, Death Cap smells like my garden in the spring - freshly turned damp earth. I'm not much of one for earth scents, but the reviews were so intruiging, that I had to try it. On my skin, it's earthy for the first 15 minutes or so, and then turns into a strange, but lovely, combination of vanilla pudding and dirt. It's strangly addicting. I may need a larger bottle of this one.

I got a frimp of this in my last order, which was great because I'd been planning to order it in an imp pack. :P

in the vial, it smells like... dirt. but a good kind of dirt. a friend of mine described it as "earth," which is more accurate. it reminds me of running around outside as a kid, smelling the warm ground and plants.

when I put it on, I smell like earth for a little bit, and then I get a funky play-doh vanilla note. where is that coming from?? ick! :D

I love how this smells as long as it's not on me. I will have to experiment with my scent locket and maybe try it out as a room scent.

rating: 4/5 (in bottle)

rating: 0/5 (on me)

straight sniff from imp is a very mild, meaker version of zombi...

once applied a deep earthy mushroomy type blend takes over...

after a few minutes a touch of incense...

a lot more earth comes forefront after 15 to 20 minutes ....

not long lasting with my chemistry but i am betting my mom, the

gardener will dig this one :P

So apparently I got an imp of this in one order, and it sifted down to the bottom of my bin, and I didn't turn it up until I went and searched for my Blood Kiss the other night.

I tried it today for the first time and wow. Just wow.

Dirt dirt dirt when I first put it on. It's moist, dark loam, though - not the drier dirt that I get from Zombi. As I wear it, it gets marvelously spicy, and for some reason, it smells horsey to me...not horsey in a bad way, but in some warm fuzzy scentt memory of a perfect day at the barn kind of way. Maybe it's the smell of one of the shampoos or soaps we used there, mixed with something leathery.

It's absolutely amazing, and I might have to get a 5ml of this - it's the most comforting scent I've found...and I can't stop sniffing, and I don't know why it reminds me of riding, either.

Faint earth and creamy braised mushrooms with a touch of sweetness. I cannot do it justice with words. my skin loves this stuff! interesting consistiency btw, almost sticky instead of oily.

This is such a warm earthy scent and reminds me of playing in the forest in the summer as a kid. It's very grounding and comforting, sweet and a surprisingly light but deep smell. The smell of freshly over-turned earth with a mix of a sweet vanilla like smell.

5/5 my skin just loves this stuff and warms it up so nicely. :P

Jenn

In the bottle: Dirt, like fertilized dirt from the garden store.

On me: Still dirt when wet, a good dirt as other people have said, but also reminiscent of the pickle smell that Lear and other cedar notes don't quite turn into on me, but which was a dealbreaker with Burial (only much less intense in this than in Burial.) It does mix with a warm, faint scent like vanilla. And why is the oil so much stickier than all the others I've tried? Some musk seems to come in after a few minutes.... mostly eliminates the dirt smell and turns into a very nice, evenhanded vanilla(?)/musk with a hint of dirt. Nice.

Oooooo :P :D

While I don't normally like descriptions that don't list notes, this one was spot-on. Warm, earthy, ruddy, mild...It's a very comforting earth-scent, like being hugged by some sort of gentle warm tree-goddess.

If I had to pick notes...there's definitely a mild cedar (which turns neither sharp nor pencil-y like it so often does), that dirt note (whatever's in it -- it might involve *very* mild vetiver), light vanilla, and some warm resins which I'm going to guess at being amber and a sweet myrrh or fairly tame frankincense. It goes from being sweet resiny EARTH to being quite woody but not too overpoweringly so, to becoming a soft resin-vanilla combination.

This seems to contain a large number of notes which tend to be good but either overpowering or which can go weird on me given certainc conditions, but which are all balanced beautifully. This may be a bottle-purchase for me. It's not actually something that goes on the "everyday" list, as it's actually *too* dark and warm and just makes me want to drop everything and cuddle up in a quilt. But for a rainy day after a dental check-up and a stressful workday....mmmmm....all is right with the world.

This is summed up in 2 words... sweet earth. Gorgeous in its simplicity & I am so happy I took a chance a got a bottle right off the bat! I love me some Death cap!

Wow, totally different than I expected! The top notes are warm, golden, and even somewhat buttery and foody. These are definitely the dominant notes. There is an earthy, fungusey undertone, both dirt - like and mossy. I expected the blend to smell mostly like this, but my skin really pulls the sweetness out of this one. Nice, not really my thing, but nice! (Plus, Death Caps make me think of faeries and elves which is always fun :P )

Mushrooms, dried in the baggie. Warm, crumbly, faintly sweet, a distant sense of almond and cherry and baking, and yet it's not a food scent. Sometimes I get sun-warmed earth, sometimes delicious exotic mushrooms at the local gourmet produce mart, sometimes baking. Completely fascinating scent.

Makes me feel good to wear it, all warm and secure. I bought a bottle.

sniffed from the bottle: i get something somewhere between Graveyard Dirt (the LE version) and Destroying Angel

both of which i love.

a little more complex than the Dirt and not quite as perfumey as the Angel.

wet on skin, there's a brief, terrifying, bout of dark coconut (like from Black Pearl, as opposed to pina colada)

that quickly fades into the freshly-rained-on dirt smell, with a hint of the rain still in the air (something reminds me of June Gloom or Thunderbird, but only just the teensiest bit)

very little throw and really doesn't change all that much, but i do loveses this scent.

also to note: the person i bought this from says it is one of the prototype bottles, so i don't know if the formula is changed now or not.

9 / 10

The way Death Cap smells in the imp and what it turns into on your skin are vastly different. It hits almost every fragrance note except for the florals and citrus ones.

If the Lush products Rainbow Worrier Bomb and Waylander soap had a love child it could be this BPAL oil!

This one is going on the must buy a 5 ml list.

Edited by atlaswinks

My skin must think this is really yummy, because it eats it right up. I do get a very faint sniff of dirt, but nothing else. No vanilla, nothing mushroomy. Oh well, off to swaps!

Death Cap: this smells very nice in the bottle, very earthy, kind of like woody sweet dirt. OK trying some on the other wrist.. OK It reminds me of Velvet without the chocolate smell.. Mm this is nice! Yes I do like this one... :P

10mins later: I still like it!

20mins later: mm still yummy, very woody.. lovely..

Edited by raspberry*tart

Apparently a witch has gathered a handful of rich loam and mixed in this much incense, that much spice along with a whisper of some floral and one drop of vanilla.

Very interesting and different.

There was a thread somewheres asking for 'most unique BPAL scent'. This would certainly deserve a nomination.

I got Death Cap as a frimp in my White Moon order.

Wow! I was really surprised by this one. It started out kind of over-herbal for me, and then went softly spicy and woodsy. (My husband smelled a cedar/sandalwood note.) A couple of hours after applying, it went VERY light and now I only catch a faint whiff now and again (but then, I applied lightly instead of my usual slathering!).

Thankfully, I don't get the mushroom note, or even very much of a "dirt" note -- just spices and woods. There's something very faint and sweet that sort of pulls the whole thing together. Very nice! Probably won't be buying a big bottle, but I can see mixing the rest of the imp into a nice, thick bedtime lotion/body butter as the smell is rather soothing. I have a nice Vitamin E lotion and a super-thick cocoa butter that would both benefit from some Death Cap. :P

Oh. My. God. Right out of the imp and I'm dying because I love it so much! This is the scent of laying in a gorgeous patch of dark, damp, freshly turned earth, there beside a forest, languidly daydreaming, staring up into the sky on a cool, cloudy evening. Everything soft and moist but with a chill, somehow, and something like a faint, sweet floral in the air (although I almost want to say it's closer to vanilla). I do not know what dreamplace it was that Beth took a piece of and bottled up just for us, but I want to be there. This is me, swooning!

Once on the skin, the chill disappears, warmed up by a warm, dry, spicy note, something sweet and woodsy; a beautiful incense burning in a small circle of mushrooms in that same patch of soil, now drying in the light of a fire.

It's a light scent in that I have to be close to the skin to detect it, but it is completely unique, absolutely delicious, warm, ripe with nature's dark (but nurturing) and ancient mystique. I am sooo in love. :P

This is awesome.

I got death cap as a frimp. I sniffed it, nodded at the dirt scent, and then didn't put it on, waiting for when i was in the mood for that sort of thing.

once I put it on my skin the dirt packed up and backed off and left me up close and personal with the richest, darkest amber. I can still smell the dirt, but it backed way off.

I think that's kind of neat. I will keep trying the imp to decide if I need a bottle.

In the Imp: A fresh, green scent, like what your hands smell like after pulling weeds.

Initial Wet: Wow, it smells exactly like digging my hands into a bag of fresh potting soil, but without having to clean under my fingernails.

Initial Dry: Still earthy, but now with a vanilla-amber spicy-sweetness. It does smell like a brown paper bag filled with fresh mushrooms.

Drier Dry: Now it's a powdery earthy scent--powdery in a good way, not an 'ew' way. It's light and doesn't have a very strong throw. This smells like a freshly worked garden, but not dirty.

this smells just like freshly turned earth, and i do get a mushroomy feel from it. it smells like dug up dirt to me with a hint of herbal-sweetness and incense. it's beautiful in a really weird way. it reminds me of big sur for some reason, incense, a slight scent of perfume and fresh earth. this is earthy but not in a hippie-ish way, so i actually like it. i will keep my imp for sure.