Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Death Cap

A lethal poison bundled up in a dainty, innocent little package that was oft times found in ancient witches’ flying ointments and astral projection balms. A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

Wet - A dry, paper-y scent.

Freshly applied/five minutes in - Papery gardening shed. There’s some note in here that smells damp and alive, like growing plants or wet soil. Still a hint of something sharp and papery, and maybe a touch of sweetness. I don't smell the sweet/warm coconut a lot of people seem to get from this, unless that’s the touch of sweetness. I’m not sure I like it, but it's definitely complex and evocative. Not very death-like, though.

Half-hour mark - The wet soil/growing things notes have faded into a soft, slightly sweet scent, and yes, I can now see how people get coconut out of this. Unfortunately, the papery note has started to morph into something that smells almost like BO and sweat. Fortunately, it doesn’t have much throw and already seems like it’s starting to fade. And the sweaty BO note is fading the fastest.

Three hours - Actually, it lasted longer than I expected - at least another hour worth of low-throw skin scent. The sweaty note did indeed vanish the quickest, and at this point (three hours on) what's left is a barely detectable skin scent that's dry and slightly sweet. I want to say 'powdery,' but it doesn't smell at all like baby powder - just like something that should have a finely powdered texture.

To me this is a creamy dirt scent. Very lightly sweet, it reminds me of coconut. While I love earthy scents, dirt has never really drawn me but this is the prettiest dirt scent I've ever tried. It's still not something I'd be likely to wear, but I will consider layering options.

In the imp sort of a nice light, cool faintly floral smell.
On my skin, coconut. Nothing else, just warm-sunscreen coconut. :( Okay if you like coconut I guess (I don't.)

Death Cap is similar to Graveyard Dirt but warmer, and more ...earthy. Graveyard Dirt is cold and unsettling, and that's why I swapped it. I like the earthy dirt notes, and I like that this one has a little warmth and sweetness to it.

In the imp: A dry, soft, earthy scent, with a touch of floral freshness and clean air. I'm reminded of long-pressed flowers scattered outside on a fresh spring day, just after it rains. Also, interestingly, when I pull my fingers away after uncorking, I get a very distinct whiff of ambergris.

Wet: A much more earthy scent, just as promised. But I agree with maudlinrose - it's a softer, less unsettling scent than Graveyard Dirt, but less wet and living than Yorick. I would still say there's just a hint of vetiver in here, and definitely some ambergris adding a fresh, almost uplifting element.

Dry: Musty rather than dirty, I think. The ambergris is definitely still evident, and maybe a touch of very soft vetiver, tempering the Lab's dirt note. For some reason, this blend puts me in mind of... The Black Rider? Iago? Orc? It's an austere, masculine/unisex blend, and I feel like I've smelled something very like it before, but with no dirt note listed.

I've always loved this scent! Haven't reviewed it yet, and I just got a new frimp so I think I shall...

Imp: Earth!

On skin: The soil scent stays true through the entire wear for me. What pushes through instantly after application is what might be benzoin? Or coconut husk. If it's not coconut, it's benzoin mixed with dirt that is creating the perception of coconut. I liken it to benzoin after my experience with Kit. A little woody- I don't get cedar like everyone else (I hate cedar) but it is some sort of wood.

Toward the dry down its a strong coconutty smell with slight soil! The sweetness really takes over. It's quite a cute scent. Not my best soil blend, but very cute. May pick up a bottle one day in the future!

Edited by Bassmastadroog

It's a very subdued scent. It's not like earth that's used for growing like potting soil or farmer's land, but it's not barren either. It's mostly cold, dry earth with some vegetation. And every once in a while I could swear that there is something an awful lot like nutmeg in it. Not powerfully, but almost as an afterthought. It's not the most complex scent there is, but it is intriguing. I could see reaching for it once in a while, but I prefer other earthy scents more.

Death Cap is a little weird. (I know, who buys a perfume named after a poisonous mushroom then complains of its weirdness?) Wet on skin, it reminds me of that potting soil with the little green balls in it - Miracle Grow? As it dries it becomes a sweet floral, almost fruity but with a tinge of decay. It's really very pleasant though I wish it had more throw.

Death Cap is dirt and coconuts. The coconut makes it smell like a fairly creamy dirt.

Honestly, it's kind of pleasant. I ended up rehoming my imp of it but if I got another, I'd likely keep it.

Admittedly, my first whiff of this made me recoil and gag. The strong smell of what seemed like peat and something vaguely deathlike was very surprising at first (and I love dirt notes!), but going back to the imp isn't as alarming now that I know what to expect. Wet, it's much like in the bottle - heavy on the dirt and something eerily shroomy. During drydown, I can see why some drew comparisons to a mallow plant. It becomes very soft and almost comforting in some odd way. After an hour or so, it fades pretty rapidly and leaves behind the ghost of something powdery. Morphs quickly but doesn't stick around long. Intriguing overall; still debating whether or not to go full size.

In the imp: Dirt! But this soil note seems to be drier and sweeter than others that I've tried.

Wet: The dirt is the first note to emerge, but it is the softest dirt note I've encountered from BPAL. I do get a dry, red patchouli-filled dirt note, but it's as if a handful of dirt has been thrown over something soft, instead of smelling like lots of freshly disturbed wet soil. I'm not sure yet, but it's possible that the sweet, soft note is actually benzoin: it has a resinous vibe to it, and I don't think it is vanilla. As it begins to dry, it begins getting quite powdery on me. Orris, is that you?

Dry: The scent veers out of powder territory and ends up being really sweet on me! Now I'm pretty sure I am getting coconut tinged by the soft soil note. It's warm and comforting. I still think there may be benzoin along with the coconut. After a while, it's hard to even detect a tinge of soil anymore. It's far in the background, buried underneath all of the sweetness.

Verdict: This one was a pleasant surprise! I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do. I didn't like the powdery phase, but the end result is really nice. I'll hang on to the imp and see how much use it gets before deciding whether or not a bottle will be in my future.

With death cap I mainly smell cedar, which I love! Don't get coconut, but it has a slight creamy note to it. Guess that makes it a little softer and not overly heavy earthy.

This blend reminds me strongly of LUSH: it's sort of like if their Coconut deodorant powder and Fairy Ring soap had a baby. Very earthy and dry and warm, dirt-forward with the coconut and vetiver supporting it, and a liberal sprinkling of mushroom. The benzoin sweetens things up ever so gently over time. I usually prefer a more moist dirt note but it would probably not work as well in this blend.

Unisex, but a bit masculine-leaning as it feels kinda 'rugged.' Like a pile of sturdy clothes and gloves that have been used for farming root veggies, sun-baked and dusty. Not something I would wear often, but I want to keep it on hand for those early autumn days when I start to miss childhood trips to a particularly rural part of Vermont where everyone was a farmer or otherwise at least had attended a barn raising or two.

I love Death Cap!

Wet, it's very earthy, dirt with a hint of perfumery sweetness. Then, on the drydown, it transforms into a beautiful light incense on me. Yum! I get the references to coconut, but it's got something resiny going on, as well, that I really appreciate. Longer lasting than I'd expect and lovely wafts to my nose throughout.

Update: I now get a really lovely smoky note for the first hour of wear. Delicious. I wonder if it’s my skin chem that shifted (likely) or the aging.... I love this in the cooler months, yet works for all year. I tend to pick this for my travel scent. 

Edited by artisjok

In the imp: A slightly warm, softly woody scent. 

On my skin:

Wet, more of the warmth pokes out, though it's still gentle. It reminds me of a very soft version of Strangler Fig. As it dries, I get a dirt note. It's nice dirt -- soft dirt at the cool base of a shady tree. Hrm. As it develops, the dirt becomes the prominent note on me. Much as it's a nice dirt, I am not so much a fan of dirt perfumes. 

This smells like a cigar to me.  It's like walking into my favorite tobacco shop.  It's rich, sweet, dark brown, and dry.  It's papery like a cigar wrapper.  

this was originally suggested to me as a sleepytime scent. at first sniff, i didn't think it would work- but it kind of does?

i can understand how others got a teensy bit of coconut; but this reminds me more of an oily, old playdoh that sweetens up a bit from the warmth in your hands. unlike other scents that set a tone or depict an attitude, death cap is so unobtrusive that it's strangely calming. i don't really want to focus on anything when i'm trying to fall asleep, and even soft, ethereal scents like zorya p are distracting for me. death cap kinda just lets you be, without any judgement or preconceived notions.

not sure if this warrants a bottle, but i'd gladly welcome all the unloved imps to my collection 🙂

Edited by murqmaid

Soil notes don't do it for me at all, but after about 15 minutes they tend to disappear, so I'm trying to decide if this is worth it. Once the soil is mostly gone this is earthy patchouli and vanilla, and gives me that warm, fuzzy "BPAL" feel. I also get that touch of coconut, but not enough (as a coconut hater) to spoil the blend. I wonder how close this is to Banshee Beat? Alas, this is more readily available. Definitely going in my pile to keep testing.

I've been frimped this multiple times and I was so sure I wouldn't like this due to me hating Bohun Upus, another Rappaccini's Garden scent. But this scent is so nice, I was shocked! While it's mostly dirt, it's softer than in other dirt blends I've tried. I think there's a grassy or herby note in here as well, but not as strong as the dirt. It's also got a touch of sweetness to it, maybe coconut or vanilla? The wear time is about 4 hours, a bit shorter than I'd prefer but definitely not one of the quickest oils to fade on me.

This is definitely more wearable than some other dirt oils I've tried. I don't think I'll hunt for a bottle since I've got so many imps, but I'm really enjoying it.

Edited by fairybites
Typo

Well, this is definitely not the vanilla mushroom scent I was looking for.

I detect an almost stinky sharpness that reads as patchouli and brown musk to me - very earthy, vegetal, furry almost.

There is also a white floral element, maybe coming from a lily or similar flower? It's crisp and sharp but rather fresh than sweet.

I have to agree that there IS a creamy element to the blend, but to me this reads as vetiver as this tends to be a stinky & creamy note on me for some reason (which I often enjoy).

What to make of this?

It becomes softer and creamier during drydown, but the vegetal/stinky quality remains. It's just too earthy for me I think.

The notes work very well together though, and the scent is quite beautiful - just not on me or to my usual taste.

Received as an imp. I love how this smells like rained on dirt in the imp & upon application. When it dries out tho it becomes a light, yet fragrant floral. Total switch. Like from soil, to seed, to bloom. Has a chewiness to it too. Would buy a bottle.

This scent has grown on me a lot since I received a frimp and has now become a favorite. To me it smells of sweetened earth with a touch of coconut. A mild, warm scent that takes me to sunny days spent gardening. Very calming, very lovely.