Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Death Cap

A lethal poison bundled up in a dainty, innocent little package that was oft times found in ancient witches’ flying ointments and astral projection balms. A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

death cap, where have you been all my life?!

oh man, i am so glad i plucked an imp of this sucker out of my friend's box one day. instant. love. in the short span of a few weeks, it has skyrocketed to one of my top favorite go-to's - i've recently fallen for graveyard dirt, as well, and they are both wonderful.. but this is hands down the perfect "dirt" scent i've always craved. :wub2: god damn i love this scent!

definitely the scent of earth - it's dry, it invokes the image of a light colored dirt - yeah, something a little like leather? ... with something light and sweet and creamy sprouting up from underneath. some kind of vanilla, i want to guess. it doesn't go quite as "coconut" to my nose as other's describe, but i do get the comparison. hmm, what is that?

it's a very inspired take on the idea, and i adore it.
the perfect interpretation of soft white mushrooms, cozily tucked away in rich, warm, brown soil.
Edited by manusdei

in the bottle: dirt and musk.

Wet: dirt. Dirt and something vaguely sweet and musky.

After about 5 minutes, there was something slightly nutty.

After half an hour: It honestly smells like mushrooms after you've gathered them fresh from a field on an autumn morning. There is a slight overtone of coconut.

This is bizarre. I used to go mushrooming of an autumn morning and this is exactly what it smells like, except for slightly coconutty. It lasts--two hours and still going strong.

I'm very impressed that this is so original, but I'm not entirely convinced that I want to smell like a freshly picked mushroom. I will need to think about this some more.

I was excited to get this imp! I opened it up and took a whiff and WOW, it smelled EXACTLY like my parents shed under the house. All I could smell was dirt and mildew and mold. Not that those are bad things really, they all serve their purpose but it's definitely not meant to be on my skin. When I sniff it, I think a spider is gonna crawl on me from one of the nooks and crannies in the shed and ya know, I just don't wanna be creeped out like that. A fun smell though.

Oh my god, this is fucking outstanding.

I've enjoyed BPAL's dirt note, but I've not been particularly fond of any of the blends containing it. THIS, though.... THIS is heaven. It truly makes my eyes roll back in my head.

Soft dry soil, a little mushroomy/mildewy (but in the best possible way,) and something creamy and sweet and white (probably coconut, but so well incorporated that it doesn't really smell coconutty in the slightest.) Not too dry, not too sweet. Just enough.

It is warm, soft, earthy, ruddy, and mild... I can't describe it any better than that. I can already see that this will be a "comfort" scent for me. It makes me feel warm and protected, like a furry little critter curled up in its earthen burrow.

In the Imp: complex; booze…?rum; damp; caught the mushroom briefly but never again

Wet on Skin: warm wood, hint of cedar

While Drying: warm wood, hint of cedar

After a Little While: reminds me a bit of a sauna; ever so slightly sweet (vanilla?)

Later: The Boy says it smells like Me :)

Final Thoughts: A very earthy blend, fits my style... will probably have to get a bottle eventually.

Death Cap earns a 4/5 on my skin.

This amazing scent is completely incongruous with it's foreboding moniker...

Here lies cemetary sediments, pale woods, and peach skins. This is as bright as

new pennies. Saturnian Yellow... Salient.

On the skin, it develops this Golden-Brown chrysalis... Dolce de Leche?

Tobacco Flower? Powdered caramel? Oh... Me likey! Exquisitely unisex. Meowch!

In the imp: Patchouli with something high, and acidic.

Wet: Dirt. Dirt under a shady tree. The kind that never fully dries out. And bark - oh, tree bark is definitely there.

Dry: Hmmmm... dirt. Rich earth. Loamy and wet. Slightly sweet.

A while later: Sweet, creamy and dark. This is dirt if dirt were rich, loamy and edible. Oh, it smells earthy, but simultaneously too creamy and sweet to BE dirt. It is rich and enveloping and comforting. A gorgeous scent.

This smells like chocolate. To be precise, those old scratch-and-sniff chocolate-scented stickers. It's nice for the memories it brings back, but otherwise, I'm not a big fan of chocolate in perfume. At least now I know what BPAL dirt/earth scents are supposed to smell like!

Dang! ultra dirt!!! with a creamy vanilla type scent mixed in. This reminds me of something......ummmm...oh! this coconut incense I used to burn in my bedroom when I was a teenager. Hooray for nostalgia! and it stays on me for hours! most of the time the dirt element just fades out fast but not this. So happy I have found a Garden smell that I can actually wear :)

Mmm ruddy mushrooms mixed with sweet vanilla. Interesting dirt combo. The description is exact!

In the vial, this has the scent of newly turned earth and sweet florals combined in a lovely way - there is no hint of poison in this scent! On my skin the earth scent ramps up with a hint of mushrooms and sweetness behind it - an amazing and lovely combination! After a few hours it settles down to a smoothly sweet vanilla-like scent with earthy tones in the background. It is a surprisingly beautiful scent!

This has been a favorite for quite a while. Hard to describe though. It gives the feeling of soil without directly smelling like dirt. The closest thing I can think of is when mushrooms are just starting to saute - but with dirt. It's warm and earthy and absolutely fantastic. I really need to get a bottle of this instead of just buying imps here and there.

Death Cap smells just like an almost done compost heap when you turn it for the last time. It's a deep, earthy, primal scent. Very alive. As it dries it softens and becomes sweeter and smoother without losing that fresh earthiness.

To me the oil expresses the concept of the fungus in the soil, then the mushroom coalescing, and finally rising into the air and releasing soft and powdery spores.

I do wear Death Cap when I'm gardening but I find I often reach for it on work days since it counteracts the sterility of the office building where I work. A comforting compost heap in a bottle.

I can't fully review this. Maybe half a review? A demi-review? A mini-review?

I had only to open the imp to know I couldn't put Death Cap on without my sinuses slamming shut and screaming in pain. As I feared, it contains the dirt and dust notes I'm gradually narrowing my allergies down to. It was deep, rich, slightly damp, very true dirt. Not for me.

This smells exactly like mould on me, I don't like it at all. I'd love to see what it smells like on other people though as I'm curious as to whether it's my skin chemistry making it so bad.

I'm very new to this and I wonder if it's the earthy scents I should be avoiding or if there's a particular note(s) that isn't working for me here? I'm sure I'll have alot of fun playing with imps and narrowing it down anyway :)

On me this is very dry and dirty. It smells exactly like mushrooms, with a hint of vanilla maybe. Its a very interesting scent, and smells just like it should, but I hate mushrooms. Off to swaps!

I love wearing this when I need a comforting scent. Very earthy and grounding..slightly powdery and creamy soil with a hint of coconut? gorgeous! Possible bottle and definitely need to have an imp in my collection at all times. :lovestruck:

Wet: Psilocybin. I think this smells exactly like magic mushrooms. I love it

Dry: mmmmmmmmmmm running around in the forest with some friends all tripping your faces on, suddenly you lay down on the soft earth and nuzzle the soft moss around you.

This is amazing. LOVE

Wet: Dirt! Wow. I didn't know perfume could actually smell like wet earth. This is awesome. And mushrooms! Holy crap! There they are. Pretty sharp.

Drydown: Shroooooooms. Sweeter now.

Dry: Okay, I'm not sure I got to this part. I'm finding out that I actually don't like the smell of mushrooms! Or at least not this mushroom. Or maybe I just don't want to smell like them, I don't know. All I can think of is mold, and that really really doesn't work for me. 20 minutes after putting it on, I had to wash it off. Bummer.

Keep: No

Bottle: No

I love to be outside and garden, this to me smells like warm, freshly turned earth. Like when you open a bag of potting soil that has been sitting in the sun. Humid. Dense. Rich.

Wet: smells so much like Villainess' Grundy with a touch of mushroom. Its hard to explain but the mushroom scent smells soft, kind of like the feeling of one. Its quite fleeting. After about 5 minutes it opens up and you get hints of coconut. But its not candy-sweet, its toasty and earthy.

During the dry down the coconut gets stronger- its like the coconut that is in Brown Jenkin or Black Pearl. The hints of earthy top note are still lingering and its an interesting blend to say the least. I wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

The dry down is extremely hard to pin point, it settles into a skin musk of sorts. It hangs very close to the skin and is gentle. Long gone are any hints of dirt, mushroom or coconut. Its quite gorgeous. Though it doesn't smell a thing like soap or laundry the only thing I can compare it to is wrapping yourself in a warm towel and smelling it on your skin later. Its snuggly!

I would NEVER have purchased this but I am truly amazed at how gorgeous it smells. I think I have to add another bottle to my ever growing wishlist!!

This doesn't smell like mushrooms to me. It smells better than mushrooms.

To me, Deathcap has three sort of "layers" to it. The first is dark, moist, mineral rich dirt (maybe with a little bit of iron in it, a little chalky). The second is sweet, oily coconut husk, and the third is something white and nectary - like standing downwind from a distant honeysuckle bush. The effect is like the smell of a glazed donut dropped on a shady patch of turned earth. It sounds like an odd combination, but it really works.

This is my favorite of all the Bpal oils I've tried (I just started, so I've tried less than 40, mind you) and I wear it the most often. Usually to work because I find it cool and relaxing. I work in a stuffy room with no windows, so it lets me pretend I'm at least getting a little fresh air.

I also have problems with getting headaches from perfumes sometimes, but this is so mild and soothing I feel like I could roll in it and wear as much as I wanted and never get a headache (not that I do, I dab and can still smell it on myself very well. It wafts, and on my collar bones it lasts all day long. When it does dry down it's to a sweet and pleasant powdery smell). It's a great sort of neutral scent for me. I'm kind of paranoid that it will be discontinued randomly while I'm not looking, and if that happened I would cry - so I should clearly buy several backup bottles just in case.

This smells like a dirty coconut. No, really. It's gorgeous, though, once you get past the whole mushroom thing. Wet, it's like a warm dirt blanket. Dry, it's like a warm, spicy, coconutty dirt blanket.

I love this one! I only wish it was stronger. ;)

in the bottle: like I’ve face-planted in the dirt.

On the skin: oh, lovely! Slightly sweet, lots and lots and lots of woodland smells, all wood and decaying leaves and bark and loam and rich dark greenery.

Seriously long skin life, had to wash off the next day!

This one is definitely a keeper. In fact, I'm going to have to buy a bottle of this. I live up in the northwoods, surrounded by forest, and this is damn close to what it smells like in late spring and in early fall! It works well on my skin and it's a happy smell for me (why yes, I *do* like dirt and loam and decaying leaves!).

Wow, this is intense. Dark, heavy, wet earth. Not much sweetness here for me.

I definitely get notes of vetiver and/or patchouli and/or sandalwood in this. It's so smooth that it's actually hard to pick any one of those notes out distinctly. It'd be great if I picked up on some of the light vanilla sweetness that other reviewers are getting, but this isn't bad in it's own right. To be fair, I think I had it confused with Destroying Angel in my head. I was hoping for something a little mushroom-y (Especially after my recent *huge* disappointment with Faeu Boulanger). But this actually reminds me of caverns and lichens and dripping rocks. And the smell of ashy earth where a campfire was just smothered out. All very good things.

Thinking that this might inspire some strange looks from the general public ;) But my co-workers (at a health food store) and fellow yoga buddies will probably dig it. (haha, no pun intended!)

Also, this is great for layering with Planting Moon, on the days where I'd like a more grounded version of PM. And it does something nice with Lurid Library, too.

Well, I've heard a lot of good things about this. I hate the smells of mildew and mold so hopefully I don't get that.

In imp: Dirt with something sweet mixed in. The dirt is strong and kind of perfumey. Hmm.

On wet: The dirt is very authentic. It smells like the rich, moist dirt in Oregon after it had rained and you've been digging in it or your shoes have it on them. It's not just dirt, it's .almost completely decayed leaves mixed in and roots and pebbles and rotting wood. This smells more like the woods to me that the tree based scents that are supposed to. I also smell the sweet coconut-vanilla scent others mentioned and it's lovely.

Dry: It's similar to it's wet scent but has calmed down a lot and softened into a very sweet scent. This reminds me so much of my childhood because I was always outside. I really like this one and am so glad I got to try it.