Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Death Cap

A lethal poison bundled up in a dainty, innocent little package that was oft times found in ancient witches’ flying ointments and astral projection balms. A warm, soft, ruddy scent, earthy and mild.

Wet, this is light dirt with a mushroomy, mildewy note. It's very light and a great likeness to what this scent is a representation of! I can detect a whisper of vetiver in here. Very faint, but lending it's harshness to that dirt smell.

As this dries, it gets sweeter. Dry, it's a shadow of the vetiver with a dusty vanilla now taking over.

Glad to have tried it, but the dry down is a bit disappointing.

Edited to include lab description. Edited by Shollin

Ooooooh, it starts with that dry spicy note that I like! It teases at being a little bit butterscotch, but not in anoverwhelming, foody way. It fades nicely and keeps that dusty overtone.

In the bottle: Dirt? Mushroom? Dirt *and* mushroom? LOVE.

Wet: Dirt, and something kinda sweet and reddish, very soft.

Drydown: Voted toe-curlingly good by three out of three testees. Don't ask me to peg notes in this one. It's rich but not drippy, red but not screamingly loud, warm and sweet but not particularly innocent. Plus the dirt note.

If you like the dirt note from Nosferatu or Penny Dreadful, you have GOT to try Death Cap.

Death Cap

At first, it seemed warm and foody. But that was brief, it became sweet dirt. Warm, sweet, and earthy. Interesting, I've never smelt a dirt scented perfume before. Then I caught a whiff of mildew. Ick. I'm allergic to mold and mildew. Suddenly I'm reminded of dank basements, old camps, and itchy eyes. The mildew scent comes and goes. It's predominately a pleasant smell. It has a transformative quality. When I smell my wrist, it smells soft, sweet, and warm. But the more I smell it, the dirt rises up and from that, the faint mildew.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

2 / 3 : I love the warm notes, and the dirt is very interesting indeed, but the hint mildew is quite the turn-off. I'm disappointed about that, I was really hoping to click with this one.

In the imp, this is mossy dirt. It's quite nice, for those people who like that sort of thing. :P

Wet on, this is...actually, really nice. Wow. I never thought I'd like a "dirt" scent. It's very damp and warm smelling, somehow.

As it dries it gets warmer, I don't smell as much mossiness. I'm really surprised at how much I like this scent. It's got something sweet and warm underneath the damp soil. I agree with the people who said it smells like there's a bit of vanilla in it. I'm really surprised at how sophisticated and lovely this is (I know I shouldn't be, but I am!).

Another imp I'll be keeping. To think, I started going through my scents like this so that I could figure out what to get rid of!

I got this as a frimp either directly from the Lab or untouched from a decant circle--I don't remember now. Either way, I've had it for a while, at least 6 months. This morning, I couldn't remember what I had thought of it when I tried it at first so on a whim I decided to give it a whirl, even though I really don't think I particularly want to smell like dirt or mushrooms...

When I first put it on, it was Whoa!!--vanilla! the most strong vanilla scent I've tried yet, very sweet and almost gooey, and whew--what throw! I hadn't put much on and still felt pretty overwhelmed by it. After half an hour or so it calmed down and got much less foody-vanilla, more kind of powdery, almost dusty I guess. There was a cool, kind of dirt-like scent under the vanilla. I actually kind of reminded me of Black Opal, with its 'mineral' component. Now, hours later, there's nothing but a hint of sweet vanilla left.

I do kind of like this but the middle, powdery stage was a bit much--it actually kind of made my nose and throat tickle, so I think there's something in there that doesn't completely agree with me, although it wasn't a strong reaction. And there are other vanilla scents the Lab makes that appeal to me more, so I probably won't get more of this. It was interesting to try, though.

Death Cap... mushroom... earthy...

I wish I got earthy from this one - I'd love to have another (maybe spicer) scent like Zombi. But Death Cap goes very spicy on me. It's not terrible, but it's not an instant "I Love It" either. I'll have to give it another try later on.

I have no idea what an actual Death Cap smells like, so this was an adventure for me!

At first, this is indeed warm and soft, and somehow "muddy". It smells like a garden after it's been rained on for two days.

After a few minutes it goes very sweet. As someone else said, I get a lot of vanilla out of this one. It's rather like Snake Oil but without so much incense.

I don't think I'll wear this enough to get a bottle, but I'll definitely keep my imp!

Just received this from the darling schackjj!

In the bottle: Warm, almost a little ambery. Uh-oh. My skin hates amber.

Wet: Dirt! Hot, dry dirt...but not like out in a yard. It's like...dry potting soil.

Dry: Oh. Oh wow. There's a bit of creaminess there, and a lovely sweetness. It smells just like going to a plant nursery or garden section at 7pm in the summer: the plants' soil has dried because it's not quite time for the watering yet, and all of the perennials are in full bloom, scenting the air. And there, in the background, is the heavy expectation of moisture--some sprinkler has just started in a far-off section, amongst the infant maples. How perfect.

I don't normally go for warm scents, but this one reminds me of one of the few things I love about summer. I'll have to wear it every time I want something warm this winter. Gorgeous.

This is so lovely. It's a dry, herbal smelling oil. It's earthy, a little dirty. I love this. LOVE. It's in my top ten.

At first this one smelled like car wax on me :P

But now it smells mushroomy, and earthy and sweet! It's a light brown, snuggly scent, with a hint of sharpness. I like it!

edited: I tried this again today, and the supreme drydown is like a whole bunch of amber! Nums!

(Also, it's similar on me to both Ivanushka and Hunter Moon - similar fluffy musk)

Edited by SeaLady

I really wanted to get along with Death Cap, but couldn't. Wet, it smelled like freshly washed mushrooms, which was intriguing and had me sniffing my wrist constantly. Unfortunately, when it dried down it became sweet and headachey floral with a hint of baby powder. There was still the dirt note, but too sweet for me. Curse my chemistry.

Bottle: Earthy

Wet: Dirt and possibly amber? Dirt does not work on me, it makes me slightly nauseous so I hope it changes.

Drydown: Well, it's still very dirty. There is something warm there, that tones the dirt down, but to my stomach, this is just unwearable!

2.0 outta 5

Initial Impression: freshly turned earth

On Wet: earth and something sweet (vanilla?)

On Dry: sweeter, more vanilla with an earthy background.

Final Impression: This smells so good! I can't stop sniffing my arm!

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 5! Must have a big bottle of this!

Unfortunately for me the dirt never faded. It's still as strong as when I first put it on, although there is a LOVELY vanilla scent wafting up too. Almost like I had vanilla on and then got all dirty. Almost disconcerting. Not for me though.

It opened as DIRT on me and makes my stomach turn a little, but then it began to change. Now it is more sweet and the dirt is mixing in with the other notes. It smells nice but it is really hard for me to get around the dirt note, so to a new owner this goes!

I didn't really smell anything mushroom-y in this one, more of a kind of sweet warm earth. On me wet it just smells like patchouli, but as it dries it gets more and more woody and warm, and the sweetness really comes out, though the dirt stays a little sharp. Reminds me of... damp garden dirt in the late summer, after the dying flower petals have been on the ground for a day or two and fermented a bit. It lasted for quite a long time too, which is good because my skin just eats a lot of scents. I really like it, this may be my first 5ml.

Edit: The second and third times I wore this, I noticed almost a kind of candied sweetness that I'd associate with vanilla before I'd think of florals. Really rich, and I can still smell the earthy undertone but it kind of dominates. I think that's what first made me think specifically of fermented flower petals: sweet + earth = the kind of sugary smell flowers and fruits get when they just start to decay. Not that it smells like actual rot, it just has a similar kind of... heavy sweetness.

Edited by arsenicsauce

What an odd scent! My husband sniffed my wrist, did a double take and said "what the hell--beets?!" To him it smells like fresh out of the ground root vegetables. I smell soft dirt with vetiver and vanilla and amber. I really like it, it's extremely unusual and I'll keep an imp on hand.

And: On the right guy, this scent could be swoon-inducing. I put it in my husband's imp box to see what happens.

ETA: This is now our favorite BPAL. I cannot wear it without being attacked by the hubby. It's okay on him but killer on me. A bottle of it will be in my next order.

Edited by MeiLin

Wow my 3rd BPAL imp. I've definitely never smelled anything similar before...at least, called "perfume"!

Yes..... I'm getting the wet dirt....and...mildewy flowers?

Guess what, I LIKE it!! And I sure wouldn't have thought so from the above description :P

Gave the Man a sniff and he said"Hmm... smells like when we're digging in the garden and the dirt's all wet and clumpy...and fertilizer. I THINK I like it."

Well....After it was on a while it mellowed out and we both liked it a lot! :D

I don't think I'd wear it to the office....but for around the house on DIY day. Hey might as well smell great then too! :D

Edited by seashell

This smells like a mixture of fresh rain/dirt and mushrooms. The best earthy scent I've ever smelled, by far.

when I first put this on it had an instant of sweetness,almost buttery...but now it has morphed into a magnificent scent of earth. I never realized I would like earthy scents in an oil but it always reminds me of good rich soil and that is a cure for even the most stubborn bouts of winter blues. Yet another frimp from the Lab... much appreciated and once again...another add to the get a 5 ml bottle of.

This smells like a light vanilla, patch/sandalwood, and coconut to me. I'm willing to bet that none of those notes are actual components, but that's just what my nose is saying.

It's very attractive, I definitely see where it got the fan following. It's actually pretty sexy, I think.

4.4 out of 5

This one turned out to be nothing like what I was expecting. No mushrooms for me. It's a very warm scent, with hints of coconut (and mind you, if the scent has a bit of coconut my skin will find it and shine a mega-watt light on it!). I do get the dirt note --- which comes from probably black patchouli, because I get the same 'dirty' sort of smell that I get from other blends that have contained black patchouli.

In any case, I smelled like a coconut lotion over a patchouli perfume. Not for me.

This is lovely! It starts out as a lovely dessert, sweet coconut milk with a hint of pineapple. Later the foodiness dies down a bit, and it's just a sweet vanilla-coconut incense, with an aquatic-metal undertone. I wasn't expecting it to be this nice.

reminds me of zombi

i can't bear to try this, in the imp i smell lots of dirt and none of the other notes.