Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Black Lily

I can't believe I never wrote a review for Black Lily. It's been a favorite for so long! When I was new to BPAL (2009?) a friend sent me 50 used imps, so I could find out what I liked. My first love was Tiger Lily but I soon found out it was discontinued. So I started a search for a lily scent i would love just as much. In the end Black Lily was the winner. In fact I think I love it even more than I loved Tiger Lily. Black Lily is a soft lily, 'grace in shadow' is a good description. It is a velvety lily. I would say it's a dark and mysterious lily, but I am not entirely sure if that is not because I know it's called Black Lily. Compared to other lily scents Black Lily is a very sophisticated lily. You could wear it to the opera (I do wear it to the opera). You could wear it to a reception at an embassy. On the other hand there is no reason not to wear it when you go for a picnic on a late summer afternoon. 

If you are not a fan of lily scents, try Black Lily. She might win you over.

I am surprised by how much I like Black Lily. Got a frimp, tried it, and was blown away, even though usually I like quite complex, dark and strong scents, everything containing patchouli and vetiver, and despise florals. This one, however, is a secret gem. Simple and elegant and light, and somehow dark and mysterious and certainly not boring in any way - a vision of grace in shadow is a very apt description. I wear it when I want something simple and safe - it's really pretty in a grown-up woman way.

Hmm. Either Black Lily is not so dark and shadowy, or this imp is mislabeled, because it's very pink and reminds me of the sweet pink carnation of High Strung Daisies. :think: I'm not getting lily or darkness, just something that smells similar to High-Strung Daisies (or might be that scent in disguise).

If this really is how Black Lily is supposed to be, I like it more than I thought I would, buuuut I already have High-Strung Daisies ALL THE THINGS and do not need more of this one.

In the bottle I barely smell anything. But applied it smells like fresh cut lilies, the black ones I'd assume. It's a unique lily. A fresh cut green grass-like quality, with a wet floral, like freshly cut stems, & stamens weeping with pollen . It's gentle, & low throw. Perhaps aging will make this beauty sing deeper.

Whew. This is strong. When I smelled I understood what you guys mean about it smelling like-- well, a black lily-- it does intuitively seem like that. But I accidentally got enough on me that I had to shower, turned myself off of it, and now am trying to sell mine off. Too much!

Oh wow - I don't tend to like florals, but this smells exactly like a real lily! Wet, pollen-y, creamy. Dries down with the pollen note coming to the fore and a slight powdery musk.

This is a rich, nectary, juicy lily scent on me. A still growing flower, with gentle notes of the greenery of the plant lurking underneath. Lily definitely amps on my skin to this big juicy note most of the time, and Black Lily is no exception to that, but it is an excellent example! It's a fairly simple scent, with the one main note, but it's also a deeply complete scent with lots of layers to that lily. It's got that slightly sharp/spicy element that lilies can have, and both sourness and sweetness.

I reach for this in the imp often, and will likely be upgrading to a full bottle as soon as the imp starts running low.

It is amazing just how incredibly accurate Beth's floral perfumes are! There's no perfumey quality to this at all. It smells exactly like burying your face in a fresh, dew-covered lily and taking a big huff. Very beautiful. This would honestly work quite well as a lily single note, I think.

Had to come back. I've not reached for this bottle in at least a year. Today I put some on. It has gone into a delicate petal but powdery so beautiful & fragrant. Has some good throw to it too. Overall the impression I get is wet, dewy Black Lily petals that have been torn. I can almost smell the pollen! Thank you for such a gorgeous experience.