Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

In the bottle: Faint honey. A touch of almond?

Wet on skin: I'm inhaling hard and not picking up much of anything except the quickly fading honey note.

Drydown: Hmm, I've never had this happen before. The scent is virtually non-existent. Thinking I had hit an olafactory wall, I had two others sniff me. Both had to have their noses touch my neck to get even the faintest whiff.

Verdict: I love honey scents, but my chemistry just vaporized this one.

Another scent that stayed true on my skin(meaning it hadn't changed much from the bottle. No complaints here! It smells like milk, honey, and grains, just as promised. The honey note is delicious and makes me feel like eating my wrist. It's such a warm scent that it makes me feel slightly drowsy sniffing it, in a good way. It's perfect for counter-acting this cold winter weather. It's the scent equivalent of a cozy snuggle.

Definitley getting a bottle of this. Deliiiiicious! :P

In the vial: grainy sweet, like oats and honey.

On the skin: Hrm... reminds me of a farm. It's light and sweet, much like I'd imagine a field of grain bathed in sunlight. It's strong for me, but not in a way I'd like. I like the honey note though.

Amazingly this was too strong for me. I absolutely loved the combination of scents (or the description of it anyways). It smelled divine in the bottle, even bright!

It immediately turned to a plastic smell on my skin though :P

I also had an "Oh no, almond!" reaction at first, but it was just barely not enough almond to turn my stomach, as is my usual reaction (amaretto, blech).

Creamy, and sweet - definitely milk, honey, and almonds. Turns powdery when it dries - but not in a way that bothers me.

Has lasted for four hours, so far ^^

Not a big bottle, but I'll use this little imp!

ETA: Faded gradually, but lasted til I showered around 10 ^^

One of my friends was holding up my wrist to her nose all evening and miming biting it , hehe. So there's a very positive reaction :P

Edited by SeaLady

Wow! I can see why people like this! It's a very creamy almondy vanilla with wafts of milk to temper the blend. It's very sweet and comforting, but it doesn't last very well upon my skin. Within a few hours it faded away into a whispery blend of almonds. In a way this reminded me of a creamier blend of Dragon's Milk but with less red then the latter. A comforting blend used to pacify the creatures of the moor, or pacify those with sweet tooths like me!

This is light and sweet, with honey-kissed almonds. In fact, it smells almost exactly like a soap from Basin called Milk & Honey. I grabbed a bar when we were in Disney World, and this oil is the perfect compliment to it.

I can't really add anything that hasn't been eloquently described by other reviewers. Yes, this is wonderful almond/grain/creamy honey goodness.

I will add that this is THE most versatile BPAL scent I've tried. OK, so far. :P I most often mix it in my hand with a little unscented body lotion....it's a soft, snuggly scent perfect for days when other scents might seem "too much", and an especially nice after-bath scent at night. My guy finds it especially snuggly.

For LUSHies like me, it also perfectly complements so many of my favorite LUSH products....Snowcake, HIWTK, etc.

It's also a gem for layering with other BPAL scents....last Saturday, for instance, we had a rainy, homebody sort of weekend, and I layered a bit o' Three Witches with it....cinnamon oatmeal! But in a good comfort food type of way.

I've also tried it with a bit of formulator's alcohol, and some distilled water as a linen spray.....divine.

Dana O' Shee........it's ALLLLLLL good. I'm SO glad it's a GC scent.

...woooow. This is GORGEOUS! Surprisingly, it's not as foody on me as I expected. I'm getting a lot of grain. The mild and the honey just make it very sweet, I can't smell them individually. It's so hard to describe... but seriously, I LOVE this. It's on the 5ml list immediately!

Dana O'Shee smells very strongly of almond (that almond-cherry hybrid smell) in the imp, but it doesn't take long for my skin to warm up the vanilla and honey. Once warmed up/dried down, it's just creamy loveliness. A great option for when I don't want to be quite as smoky and heady and syruppy as Blood Kiss makes me.

Delicious. Unfortunately Dana O'Shee doesn't throw hardly at all... but I'm willing to reapply more for that. :P

In the vial: sweet, almondy, something like milk?

On my skin: Yuck!! Oh dear I so wanted to like this. It turned into a mixture of baby powder, some air freshener that you would find in a woman's bathroom (or a deodorant on a woman's pad) and something like baby formula. :P I wanted to like this so bad!

This scent was heavy heavy heavy on me. Very thick and lots of almond, and it was a little too much.

I only tried it on once, though, and now I wish I hadn't swapped it so quickly. I'm always one for giving things second chances....

ETA: Oh! Oh! Sixthsentinel generously frimped me with Dana O'Shee and it's pure love this time around! It's pure cheap almond soap in the vial, but quickly turns creamy. Very soon, I get a bowl of thick, creamy milk with honey and slivers of almond slices. Sooo good! I'm very frugral with my applications, but even after I swiped my wrist 3xs the amount I usually do, the scent is very light, no throw at all. That's fine with me, though: I like my scents to keep close to me and not bother other people.

Edited by cinderfallen

This one was very foody on me, but I loved it.

It's a light scent, sorta faint buttery note, and I'm smelling what's perhaps a bit coconut-ish.

Dana O'Shee is my breakfast porridge, when I've gotten up early enough and can relax and eat breakfast with a cup of tea and not have to worry about being late. It is the most perfect porridge, ever.

It's not glamourous or obviously seductive, but it would be a lovely scent to wear when one is cuddling up to someone nice and warm...

In the bottle:

My first reaction, without looking at the notes, is "almond cookies." Just vanilla and almond. After reading the notes, however, I can smell all of them.

Wet:

Less painfully almond cookie - not quite as sweet, but all of those elements are definitely still there. In fact, it's very rapidly mellowing out into a lovely creamy foody scent.

Dry down:

Creamy almond cookie. I can't keep my nose off my wrist - it just smells so good! It's a very comforting foody scent.

Final thoughts:

I thought from the description that I might like this scent. The idea of "almond cookie," however, is not really appealing to me, and if the description said anything like that, I probably wouldn't have gone for it. Yet, this scent is amazing. I never would have thought I would get along so well with something that smells like an almond cookie. I don't think that it's an every day scent for me - it's too foody for that. But I'm soooo glad I have it.

This to me is all smooth milk and creamy honey. There's a bit of an oatmeal quality to it, oatmeal that's been drowned in cream and honey. On my skin, it stays true. I never get any kind of nuttiness from it, just that creamy oatmeal goodness. It's not one of my top favourites, but it's got its place in my collection for those days when nothing but a bit of comfort food will do. It's warm and soothing in a way that floral or herbal scents could never be. I don't think I'll order a bottle of this, but I'll keep an imp of it around for sure.

in the bottle: almonds! thick, almost syrupy sweet almond smells...

wet: yup still almonds, and general sugary sweetness?

dry: almonds have faded more into the background, a genereal sweetness with a hint of musky-ness remains.

overall the scent seems to fade very fast (~30min), and i wouldn't apply too much because the almond scent is so strong initially.

Dana O'Shee... mmm....

In the imp, it has a very alluring scent. When first put on, still very alluring. Sweet and somewhat fruity. But as it dries, it produces a smell reminiscent of baby powder. Not complaining, I like the smell of baby powder. I'd just like it to stay the way it is in the imp.

It lasted for a good couple of hours. I like it, but more than likely won't purchase a 5 ml.

Sweet, cozy and good. It makes me want to wear it and snuggle up in my jammies with a good book while the wind roars outside.

At first I got a tiny whiff of almond but that was gone as soon as it was dry, and it turned into pure rich creaminess. I don't really get grain per se, but it does smell wholesome. :P

Sweet, honeyed almonds. This is soothing and warm, almost the same way Alice is to me. However, it's not quite in the same scent family as Alice- maybe they're scent cousins, or something, but... yeah. This is lovely, milky, and comforting, and it has real depth to it. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on another imp.

In the imp: Almond. All almond.

Wet: Almond and honey. And a hint of vanilla.

Dry: Something about this has turned sickly on me. I think it might be the honey as I seem to recall a similar sickly note in O. I had assumed it was the amber, but I think it must be the honey. Oh well. I am sad. This is not for me.

Fresh from the lab, this was tooth-achingly sweet marzipan. Not a *bad* smell, per se, but so sweetsweetsweet that it was overwhelming.

I let the imp age for a few months and it's a lovely, mild almond pastry/cookie smell now that makes me want to bake! Not very strong, just nice and pleasant and almondy.

Oh, I love this one! Love it. Love it!

First impression in the bottle was 'ooooh, amaretto... and sweet vanilla'

On the skin, the amaretto/almond faded into the background and the vanilla came out, lovely, sweet, and dark on me. But my skin loves vanilla. The almond is still there in the background, blending with the vanilla, and the honey scent starts to come out.

Very sweet, very smokey/dark (but that might just be on me), and lovely. The vanilla in this reminds me strongly of the *old* Body Shop vanilla oil, from about a decade ago before they changed it. Very vanilla, very sweet, but not sugary.

IN BOTTLE: Milk, almond, and honey. Some of my most favorite scents. Ahhh, it's freaking gorgeous!

FIRST APPLIED: Not so much milk, but more almond milk and honey. It's so delicious. It htis the nose as kind of sharp, but I LOVE this smell. This smell makes me think of fresh warm skin after a bath or something.

DRYING DOWN: The sharp smell's going away, as is the almond. I'm left with the description of the smell definately. Milk, honey, sweet grains. It makes me feel happy and swimmy, if that makes sense. I love love love LOVE this smell!

IN A SENTENCE: I'm getting a 5mL bottle of this as soon as I can!!!

Edited by ☆ a n o w y n ☆