Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

This smelled exactly like Alice on me, but without the carnation note. Milk and honey. Its nice, but I'll stick with my bottle of Alice

In the imp, Dana O'Shee smelled lovely but sweet. Once applied, it has a very clean, milky, sweet scent that also has something green in it -- not a forest-like green, it seemed more like sweet meadows. It really didn't morph from initial application to how it smell 3 or 4 hours later, nor did it fade or blow up. It's very pleasant; not a drop-dead sexy thing, much more innocent and fresh. Since I normally wear darker, heavier or boozy scents, I'm very pleasantly surprised at how compatible Dana O'Shee is with my body chemistry.

valentina

Beth, how exactly did you procure a slice of heaven and bottle it? Seriously I'd like to know.

To me this smells like a beautiful enchanted wild orchard with random fruiting and flowering trees everywhere. I love this.

I'm delighted with this scent, and if I can ever get it to smell strongly enough on me, it'll be one of my first big bottles. Here's the breakdown:

Overall impression - foody, sweet, strongest note is almond

Wearing it dry - Just delicious. I would really like to smell like my wrists do, but this scent sticks very very close to my body. I pour on increasing amounts to disappointly little amplification effect. I enjoy the scent's lightness, but get out there and waft, darn you!

The boy - After wearing this a bit, I gave my wrists to my boyfriend to have a whiff. This one he likes on me, no caveats, and not even any complaints about the foody nature of it. He says it's good and light.

Mmmm. Dana O'Shee smells like creamy almonds in the bottle, and stayed that way on my skin. It was a light, creamy, delicate almond scent without a lot of throw, but it I could smell it on my wrists for a long time. Very nice... and I do love almonds.

I'm happy that I lost my BPAL virginity to this one :P

I didn't really like this. In the vial it was a sweet almond and it stayed this way for a few minutes on my skin. Then it softened and smelled like Johnson & Johnson baby lotion (the pink bottle). Subtle, not bad, but not me.

Oh dear. I'd expected to quite like this, from the lovely creamy almond scent I got out of the bottle. Alas, Dana O'Shee was bound and determined to fight my skin chemistry every step of the way. I smell like marzipan and icing sugar - cloyingly sweet, and powdery.

I think that this will have to find a good home, with someone that it suits better.

Dana O'Shee is the smell of the atmosphere in the Land of Milk and Honey. An absolutely lovely, comforting scent that I found myself reapplying all day long, just so I could inhale deeply and then smile.

Dana O'Shee is absolutely deserving of the accolades it gets.

First whiff: Mostly a very in-your-face bitter almond... but there's not supposed to be any almond in this, right?

Drydown: the almond quickly fades away, and the oat and milk come up. By this point, it's nice, sweet and comforting... but a couple of hours into it, the weirdest thing happens: all sweetness just vanishes, and I'm left with a weird "hollow" / "empty" note. I can't for the life of me identify this - it smells like water tastes, if you see what I mean (I had the very same thing happen with 13, by the by).

By this point, yeah, I don't like it all that much anymore.

Verdict: Alas, I wanted to jump in on the Dana love and smell of marzipan, but this was not to be. As I seem to be the only one to have the "hollow note" problem, I'm assuming it's some bizarre chemistry reaction. Stupid chemistry. *kicks it*

6/10

Very good blend of honey and sweet grain. Has a very good alimentary scent. Smells kind of foody. Like a cookie maybe.

Wet: Almondy and creamy. Lot's of honey

Drydown: Very relaxing and calming. judas_kiss wore this a few times when she was pregnant and it had a very calming effect on me. :P

The kids LUURVE it! Especially the baby he was always very soothed by it and nuzzled in close when judas had it on.

Edited by BlueStar

this smells like milky bubbles! reminds me of milkbath stuff i've tried. pure, clean, innocent and fresh. not really 'me' but maybe nice once in awhile. it certainly is soft and comforting.

few honey scents work on me, but this is one of them!

Hot damn.

The instant I tried Dana O'Shee, it skyrocketed to the top of my favorites list.

in vial: A perfect honey almond, two of my favorite notes. I wanted to drink it right then and there.

just applied: Oooh... sweet and nutty without being overpowering. Also a bit milky. It's incredibly soothing.

drying down: I smell the grains! Almost a bit green. They add a nice dimension to the scent, warming it up and taking it beyond straight-out foody to something even more amazing.

dry: I think I just came.

(Seriously, though, it's sweet and light, with great throw and staying power, and I smell positively scrumptious.)

verdict: 10ml, stat. (i.e. in my next order.)

Okay, not sure if we really *need* another review, but...

In the bottle, this just smells generically sweet to me.

Wet, this is cream and honey. No almonds and no grains.

Dry, this is a terrific scent on me. Warm (I think it's from the grains?) and sweet, with just the lightest touch of milk. I didn't get any almond scent at all.

Overall, this is my second favorite scent, and the only one I'm willing to wear pretty much anywhere. It's a warm, comforting scent, but not overpoweringly foody. I had to buy a bottle of this right away. And it wasn't even on my list to try - Rheliwen was sweet enough to send me a frimp of it when I bought something else from her. :P

Dana goes on me smelling like screamingly sweet cherry and marzipan and then fades down to plastic and not much else. So sad, especially since other milk and honey scents work well on me. I suspect this has a base similar to Sudha Segura which also proved to live mostly in my olfactory blind spot.

Woe. :P

I was *certain* that Dana O'Shee and I would hit it off fabulously -- I've had success with other milky and honey scents -- but she went on as almond extract and mellowed out to plastic baby doll. I'm sure she completely deserves her following, but we're not meant to be.

Ever since my lush snowcake arrived for christmas, I've been thinking "I need to compare this to Dana O'Shee and see if the rumors are true." Tonight I finally dug my "empty" of Dana O Shee out of my box and managed to eek one single drop from it (I received this as an empty, so I hadn't smelled it yet).

danaoshee.jpg

Imp: Can't tell, cuz this label had something else spilled on it.

Wet: Holy Crap. Sweet, creamy honeyed almond milk. I feel like there is the slightest sprinkling of orange peel to this. I love it.

Dry: Mmmmm, the rumors AREN'T true. Dana is BETTER than snowcake!! Just the right amount more potent, sweet, almond, and cream. The orange was present for me only in the wet phase. Which is more than fine with me. I can smell the grains. Like smooth soaked oatmeal--you know, after its all slippery and sweet.

Overall: Soothing, milky, creamy, sweet. This is an instant 10 mL. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. I will wait for the moon, though, cuz that's just logic, that is. I make bath products and lotions for myself, so this is definitley gonna go into some of my homemade concoctions! Mmmmmmm…..

This lasted 4+ hrs (not sure about the +, cuz it was time for sleep…)

Edited by jewelbug

in the bottle, this smells like heaven, it's almonds, cream and honey, like porridge (lol, I'm a scot, forgive me!) with double cream and honey melting on top of it.

on me, hey! where did it go? I smell, nothing, dang.

later (post gym workout) woah, who's got the marzipan, hand it over... oh, it's me.

wierd, I really would love to wear thing but I think I might use up my imp in a shower scrub.

This is one of the few BPAL scents that I know I'll love as soon as it touches my skin. Most of the time I have to wait and see if my chemistry will screw up the blend, but Dana O'Shee just WORKS. It's a gorgeous warm milky honey scent with a huge hit of almonds. Even my husband, who normally hates honey scents and says they don't smell like something a person should wear, loves this one. Yum.

I normally love honey and milk scents, and they love me. Unfortunately, this one just smells like a burnt out birthday candle. Kind of sweet, but mostly just smoldering, melted wax.

Imp: almond.

Wet: almond.

Drydown: the scent almost disappears to my nose, although I know it's still there. Oh, and there's the honey! I refreshed once, just in case.

Worn: all right, I get milk and honey now, and the almond is diminishing, which is a relief. But now it's all fading even further, so I'm not sure whether I'm actually smelling something or not, and then it goes away pretty much entirely.

Conclusion: I'm hoping Sudha Segara will get along better with my skin, because I'm interested in the milk/honey combination for something soft and comforting. Grains were an issue in Blood Moon also, so maybe that has to do with why Dana O'Shee doesn't work on me.

In the bottle it smells of sweet almond and *coconut*, with a hint of sweet vanilla and a touch of something green.

Wet on skin: The almond comes out, and that green picks up too. Not sure how much I like it at this point; it's almost overpoweringly sweet, and I'm not getting that "creamy" that everyone talks about.

On the dry down it's much lighter and sweeter and *greener* than I'd expected, given how it smelled in the bottle. The green seems to be fading fast though, which I'm quite content with.

Several hours later I'm still getting a little bit of the green, though the almond and vanilla are gone, replaced by something sweet and just a little spicy. Halfway through the day the green disappeared, but the vanilla/spice stayed on. It has great staying power at that level, and is very light, but strong. I approve!

I'm also a little sad that I can't even imagine how one would get the "Hawaiian Pizza" effect from this. Guess my skin chemistry is just -different-.

Frimp from Pretty Penny! :P

In the bottle: almond milk with honey. :D

Wet: almond milk with honey.

Dry down: this is staying true, almond milk with honey. Will it go play-do? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

30 minutes: almond milk with honey. No play-doh. This is a nice simple, fresh scent. Light and airy.

Conclusion: I love this. It didn't turn to play-doh, soap, or powder. This is a keeper. I don't see myself reaching for it everyday. Probably a Spring scent. I see myself wearing it on a rainy Spring day.

Rating on my skin, this is a 4.5.

Edited by atropos

Thanks Astburygrrl! :P

This smells the same both wet and dry on me. Sweetened honeyed milk, with a touch of oatmeal.

It lasted about 3 hours on me, longer than Alice and not as long as Sudha Segara, but an hour of that was spent at the dentist office under the drill, and Dana O'Shee really comforted me during that. This would also be a great scent to use if you make your own bath products.

Wet this is sweet almonds. When first on this is light almonds and cream- yum! Very quickly a musty/dusty/grain note develops- similar to that same note in Midway and Beaver Moon. This smells very similar to Midway on me. It stays pretty much the same throughout wearing. This is a lovely, sweet, creamy blend. :P This is like a lighter version of Midway and would be a good substitute.

I have a cold, so I'm probably not picking up all the complexities of scents today. That said. . .

I bought this because some reviews mentioned it smells like Lush's Snowcake soap, which I love. And I thank you kind reviewers, because you're right! :D

In the bottle this is marzipan with very sharp almonds. On my skin, the sharpness dies down and I'm left with purest, sweetest marzipan! Rich, creamy, decadent, sweet without being cloying; this is pure candy happiness in a bottle! This is much stronger and sharper than Lush's Snowcake scent, but that suits me just fine. :P

Sadly, my skin eats this scent up in a matter of minutes. It's definitely worth constant application, though, and I'm sure it will do beautifully in my hair and a scent locket.

Edited by Shollin