Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

While in the bottle and wet, this smells like cherry/amaretto cookies. During the drydown, it smells rather icky... it takes on this synthetic smell, first smelling like those old scented dolls in a bad way, then smelling like this sunscreen I have (not coconutty, like many sunscreens are, like chemical playdoh).
After it's dry though... mmmm. Soft and sweet, somewhere between "cookie" and "skin." It doesn't last as long as other BPALs, but it still lasts for at least a few hours before a touchup is needed. 5ml bottle candidate.

I could have sworn I tried this before. Maybe I did, who knows. All I know is I was lumping it in with the milk scents that disappear on me: Sudha Segara, Alice, Dragon Milk, etc. I was at Black Broom today and had to wait around a bit, and thought, "What the heck, I'll give it a try."

Hey, this works on me! It's a milk and honey scent I can wear. It smells fantastic on me, and it's lasted a few hours so far, so no disappearing immediately into my skin, as milk tends to do. Sure it's light, and there's not a lot of throw, but I can't ask for too much, can I? This is going on my big bottle list now.

What does it smell like? Oh yeah, *sniffs* milk, honey, and oatmeal. Fantastic!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Dana O’Shee

Sweet almonds and honey. I love this blend, it’s so warm and comforting. It reminds me of a more feminine Dorian.

This is my first review and I'm happy to say it's a glowing one.

On first sniff out of the vial it smelled like cherry-almond Jergins but better. This is a really pleasant scent to me, since my old ceramics teacher used to keep the Jergins around for everyone to use and I enjoyed his teaching and his class so much.

After a couple of hours it mellowed out and the grains and honey came into the forefront. Once again a very comforting, warm-morning smell to me.

I'll definitely be ordering a 5ml if not a 10ml of this. I've worn it practically every day since a wonderful board member sent me the imp, and it's gotten raves from some of my guy friends after I wore it to a concert. My only complaint is that it doesn't last as long as I'd like, but other than that I couldn't be more pleased.

EDIT:

Dana O'Shee does some kind of funky thing on me when it's that time of the month. Something with my body chemistry disagrees with it and I get a very sharp, piercing plastic smell when I apply it. I still love it dearly, just need to be conscious of when I wear it or battle off a migraine. :P

Edited by Stumbeline

Wet I get almodns and honey, and as the almond note vanishes (as usual on my skin), I get honey and milk.

Sweet, warm and soft, but it doesn't last too much on my skin and I find O more interesting. :P

In the Bottle: Smells like almonds. Hmm..

On Skin: This smells very strongly of almonds. It's very sweet and very homey. It makes me think of cookies. It's a very reassuring scent. I get some of the milky undertones now and some cloying sweetness. It's not very... pleasant at the moment. :P

On Drydown: This scents fades fast from my skin. I get occasional whiffs of it though.

Verdict: I liked the original note of almond. But then it became nauseatingly sweet. I don't think my skin likes this scent much. Off to the swap pile.

I guess I'm just not made for these honeyed, foody scents. On me, this was Alice minus the carnation, and just like Alice, it felt overwhelmingly sugary sweet, like gobs of sweet grocery store icing.

I do like this more than Alice, but it's absolutely not me. Sigh.

A calm and soothing, makes you feel good scent. Love all the aspects of this..what's not to love? Milk, honey and sweet grains. Just amazing!

Sweet, soft, light, airy, great for summer because it's not heavy, but still has very good staying power..which surprised me. I thought this would need frequent reapplication, but it lasted the whole day on me.

Oooh! This is gorgeous! On me, it smells like toffeed, caramel almonds, honey and vanilla. The fragrance is quite linear throughout and it has a good last on me. It is light, and while a lot of people said it might be a good summery scent, I would like it best in the cold winter. It is a very comforting, friendly scent. This is one that I will purchase a big bottle of! :P

Got in a swap with Bain. Thanks!

As stated in many of the reviews, this smells exactly like the divine Lush Snowcake soap! :P Beth, you rock!

Oh thank goodness! I just used my last little sliver of Snowcake soap and I thought I would go insane waiting for the Christmas season to get here. But Dana O’Shee will save my sanity.

In the imp, it smells like almond marzipan with a light cherry note. Wet on skin, this could Snowcake’s twin. It loses the slight cherry note and turns into the smell of oatmeal sweetened with honey. Lovely. After about 2 hours, this fades almost entirely on me. I applied to my clothes in hopes that it lasts longer. It does!

I will join the ranks of those rabidly obsessed with Dana O’Shee/Snowcake and will be buying mass quantities of this oil! :D

Dana O'Shee was the very first BPAL oil I ever tried, and what a wonderful start it was!

I learned right off the bat that almond is my friend. Dana makes me smell like a tasty marzipan cookie. There is no bad there. It's one of those scents I put on when I want something comforting or relaxing, and I get all distressed if it looks like I'll run out before my next fix arrives.

sweet almond, cooked oatmeal, honey....mmmm....smells awesome upon application :P

wears quickly...my skin gobbles up the scent...eeeek!! :D

now i am left with a somewhat playdough type scent....salty in a way...*ack*

(the way some peeps explain the POTL scent turning playdough-y on them)

:D

Lord knows how I wanted to love Dana O'shee after all the positive raving about her :icon_eek:

:D she is just not for me......wah!!!!!!

First Impression: Milk and honey, with an underlying sweet earthiness.

Dries down to: No change from start to finish, except for the fading intensity.

Additional Comments: I actually don't mind this one, considering honey is usually a big "no-no" for me. I've had great luck with the milk scents, so far. I'll have to try layering the honey scents I can't wear with anything that has milk in it and see if the combination works for me. For now, I'm off to try this layering this with Bliss.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Wet: Dough. Like unbaked sweet rolls maybe? And some...playdoh? Maybe a hint of vanilla sneaking in there where it isn't supposed to be.

1 Hour: I smell like a bakery, before things go into the oven. A very domestic scent. However, I don't like the scent of milk, and I'm picking out some of that. And while there is some sugaryness coming on when I've got my nose to my wrist, when I'm just walking around I'm still getting a background of playdoh. Not convinced.

6 Hours: Gone. It never really hit a stage I cared for.

/me has a personal moment of toe-curling delight

:P

THIS is what I've wanted to smell like my entire life. Do you remember the time when you realized, for the first time, that you were in love with someone? Remember how even their skin smelled sweet and divine- like home but warm and alive? THAT is what this evokes to me.

Smells... right... I seriously think I own at least 8 imps of this, if not more, and I'm DEFINITELY getting a big bottle of this, maybe more.

Before I even open the imp, I can smell a sweet sugary scent- like when you open a packet of Sugar in the Raw. Upon openng the bottle, and as long as the oil is wet- marzipan. Sweet sugary almond goodness. As it dries down I get the scent of a bakery making almond cookies, macaroons, marzipan treats. Then almond milk, calming and soothing. I used to drink almond flavored warm milk before bed as a child. On me, honey glazed almond cookies, a mug of steamed whole milk with vanilla.

The only rival to this in my mind is my White Barn candle in White Cream, and that's more of a stage dressing in preparation for this in my diffuser. The first time I wore this, when I got into bed for the night my boyfriend rolled over and said -sniff- "you smell..." -sniff- "you smell..." -sniff- "you smell... what is that? You smell really good" -snuggle-

For a sibling with a bit less almond but a bit more body and complexity, try Dorian- preferrably aged a bit first.

Edited by ethermaiden

I try Dana O'Shee again every two years or so, because I forget how bad it is and I'm like, "Milk, honey and grains! It'll be amazing!"

But no, it's foul. The almond is the sort that has that high pitched, sour, maraschino cherry edge to it, and there's some powdery funk in this as well. It smells like a dirty rest stop bathroom where they tried to cover up poo & pee smells with that almond scented soap. Disinfectant over feces.

I hate this one.

Edited by Little Bird

Out of the bottle, I get almonds, but I also smell a little sweet milk.

First on my skin, I actually get a little bit of oats, with the almond.

One hour later: Th oatmeal is coming through on me, as is the honey.

This reminds me of the oatcakes with honey that my lovely Scottish boyfriend made me whenever he actually deigned to cook breakfast. Very comforting. I have a feeling I'm going to have to slather this on for it to really show up, though.

Oooh yummy!

In the bottle: just sweetness.

Wet: I am covered in a non-cloverish honey and baking!

Dry: I am a brioche-like thingie and my boyfriend likes it!

This bebe reminds me of Snowcake. It is also the perfect scent for layering with my Clean perfume. My boyfriend kept telling me I smelled "sooooo goood."

Heehee

Dana o'shee

In the bottle: almond - straight up. Very Snowcake.

On me - almond playdoh doing a fast fade. Dang - I had high hopes for this, but if the fast fade continues, into the swap pile it goes.

In the bottle:

Very sweet, almost too much so. A little almondy, a little creamy.

Wet:

Ack, this smells like medicine! A sticky-sweet cherry, exactly like the horrible liquid Dramamine I use to get when I was a kid and got carsick. That medicine was almost worse than throwing up.

Drydown:

OK, the Dramamine smell is going away, replaced by almonds. I can smell a bit of the grains too, like a hearty wheat smell. It's nice, but...

Sadly, over the next few hours, this scent totally failed on me. First, I got something quite similar to Snow White, which on me turned into that awful plasticky smell, except it's more like something burnt and plastic than everyone else got.

That lasted a while, and then it was just a sickly almond-cream sweetness, not pleasant at all. Farther away it was all right, and maybe it would be good layered with something fruitier, but overall, very much a failure. Sigh.

Its like Dana O'Shee was made for me. Blends perfectly with my scent and I can't wait til I can get a big bottle all for myself.

I gives me a feeling that I am right at home, my last name being O'Shea and all.

Dana O'Shee

danaoshee.jpg

I love Dana O'Shee. I tried it when I got my first order of BPAL, I believe it was a frimp. "Feh!" I thought, what's the big deal about this? There were so many people on the Forum who were raving about Dana O'Shee and I thought it was nice, but...

Then I got another frimp in my most recent order. Dear Me! What was I thinking. This is outrageously good. Cream, new mown hay sort of scent, like Alice but not Alice more almond and less fruit like. I refuse to reduce Dana O'Shee to the level of marzipan, marzipan never smelled this good. This is special, as only the Irish know how to do "special". Grains? Well maybe. There is something real comforting there. A few carbs, mmmm. Very very nice stuff this Dana O'Shee.

It went from "ho hum" to "10ml real quick!" and in my top 10 Favorites and Best for me. I am now a real Dana O'Shee fan and hope to make you rethink your ideas of it if you are not one of the Dana O'Shee-ites here.

This one is a prime candidate for the scent locket.

Edited by olympia301

I don't know why I waited so long to get this. It's sooo similar to one of my all time favorite Lush soaps: Snowcake. :P

In the bottle it's sweet almond, but not gaggingly sweet. Like a good quality marzipain. On my skin & during the drydown it doesn't really morph, just stays sweet, mellow, almondy goodness. It gets a little more sugary, but that just makes it even more comforting. It feels like wrapping up in a down quilt with a good book & a hot chocolate. *sigh* :D

Maybe it's just me, and that I am sick, but this is sickly sweet on me. So completely sickly sweet. I am so sad, I really love scents of this theme, but I guess I'm going through a stage -- I couldn't wear Alice today, I just didn't want to smell like that, and that is exactly what Dana O'Shee smells like!

In bottle: Almond and honey, very creamy and sweet but the almond isn't overly sweet.

Wet on skin: almond and something that smells like a urinal cake. :P Urinal cake smell is fades into a sweet, wheaty scent. Very very light, can barely smell it.

Drydown: Less than 15 minutes and it's almost totally gone. There's just a faint sweet smell left.