Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

… Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

First review!

In the imp: it has the cherry scent of almonds, which reminds me (in a good way) of this all-natural dish soap my mom used to get.

Wet on skin: I am starting to smell the milk note. I was afraid that this note was going to go sour since Alice didn't sit well on me, but it seems to be fine.

Dry: Super light scent. I wish that it wouldn't sit quite so close to my skin, but it's a nice scent.

Now to test it's lasting ability.

In the imp: Truly delicious marzipan!

Drying on my skin: Sweet milk and honeyed grains.

Throw and staying power: Close to the skin, 4-6 hours

Colour impression: Soft creamy white

Verdict: It's georgeous! Simple, soft and sweet without being cloying or overly foody. It reminds me a lot of the unique scent of a baby's skin - nice-smelling, soft and warm. Very comforting!

In the bottle: Honey and milk.

Wet: Honey, milk, almonds. This definitely reminds me of Jergen's original cherry almond scent.

Dry: This does sit very close to the skin. I like it, but I get nothing unless I stick my nose right up to my skin. Even from 4 or 5 inches away, I get nothing.

Overall: Milk, honey, and almonds. I like this, but...I don't know. It's not strong enough for me. I will probably keep my imp, but I can't justify getting a bottle if I'm going to have to reapply every 30 minutes.

In the bottle, this is super almond! All I get is that cherry -like almond scent, and it is STRONG. It stays that way for the first few seconds too, and then the almond fades away to practically nothing, leaving a yummy, milky oatmeal scent, drizzled with honey. Four hours later I can still smell it, but it is very close to my skin. All in all though, its a warm, comforting scent, and I like it a lot. Definitely deserving of all the rave reviews.

I can't believe this is the first time I've tried this. Being a lush SA my first thought was its Snowcake. But as it sits I realize it's better. It's milky, and grainy honey. Neither the milk or honey go sour. MMMMM

I got my very first frimp of this a couple of months ago, fell in love, ordered a bottle. Then I tried it again while waiting for said bottle, and it was awful. The bottle came & I swapped it away. The person I swapped it to mentioned that it was her perfect pre-menstrual/ menstrual scent. That got me thinking.....

When it was icky on me it was sharp & sickly sweet - like Snow White with a milk note. But I retried it today and it is soft almond with grains. Sweet, gentle & cozy. It's amazing what hormones can do to an oil!

I pulled this one out of my stash as I remember it's quite a popular one. that must mean vanilla/foody right?

When I sniffed the imp, yuck. I get that cherry smell that i hate and everyone else seems to smell. How could this be popular? I decide to risk it and I put it on.

After the initial wet, THEN it starts smelling good. It's definitely a creamy milk and honey. I get that oatmeal smell as well. But not oatmeal I want to eat, it's oatmeal that is specifically made as a face mask or mud bath. So there's a perfumey quality to it that sets it apart from some of Beth's other milky honey scents that I want to lick of my skin.

Unfortunately, the throw and lasting power are so weak on me that I knock this down from 4 stars to three. I might try it in a lotion to see if that helps. Otherwise, it's not a bottle purchase.

In the imp, I'm getting milk, honey, and almonds. On my skin, milk and honey and almonds and mmmm. We'll see how this goes, but I've a feeling this is going onto a second skin test. On the full skin test, a wonderful honey almond grainy scent with a hint of milk. Definitely going on the bottle buy list.

Edited by Venneh

Oh dear! I just put this on and immediately really dislike it...wet, it smells like a mix of almonds (ew--hate artificial almond smell), maraschino cherries, like others have said (ew), and gas station bathroom air freshener (EW EW EW). As it's drying a bit, that last one is what's really coming out, too. Not for me. I can see how others would like this smell, actually, but for me I have too many icky images that go with it.

In the bottle: sweet honey and something sharp

Wet: Sharp sweet that tingles in my nose

Dry down: GETITOFFME! Gives me a massive headache and I am constantly looking for whatever is around me that is giving me the headache. It would be good in linens or as a room scent while in a hot bath. Just too much right on my wrists.

Oatmeal, milk, and honey. If I were to mix the three up in a bowl and slather it on my face, this is exactly what it would smell like. Sweet, grainy, and the kind of thing you'd lick off your fingers when you were finished spreading it across your face.

this is exactly what this smells like!

Finally!

Imp: Milky marzipan. So.. yes, almonds, milk and sugar I assume. Not too heavy on the sweetness, though. Rather light and delicious.

Wet: Marzipan!

Dry: Milk and honey coming through. Still a huge load of marzipan. Doesn't remind me of Christmas, though, so that's something. I have a feeling the milkiness and the sweetness of honey will prevail with only a tad bit of almonds in the background.

Imp Opinion

In the Imp, I was thoroughly disappointed with the harsh almond and a strange after-smell of coconut.

Wet on Wrist

The almond smell was harsh and overpowered anything else for a few minutes, then mellowed to pleasant marzipan sugar. No trace of the coconut from here or ever again.

Dry Down

Heaven! For years I have been trying to find a scent that evokes the smell of fresh-cut hay and grains, and this is it! Sweet, yummy, and earthy/warm without being cloying, ultra-feminine, or too foody as I feared.

Fade

Fades into soft and sweet grains! This is part oatmeal, hayloft, and honey. Scent lasts for 4ish hours on skin (after an hour I have to put my nose to my skin to smell it, but I ration the heck out of this and I absorb scents more than most)

Feel

Sweet-earthy-delectable and sexy. Very soothing, natural, and warm.

Final Thoughts

If you like honey, milk, oatmeal, grain, hay, or gentle baked smells, try this for sure. Great in hot, humid weather and will probably be comforting in the dead of winter.

Edited by TheSinFunnel

Be warned: I'm still "training" my nose and so my descriptions are probably about as clear as mud.

In the imp: It smells sweet and nutty, like honeyed almonds. I love the scent of almonds so I couldn't wait to put this on.

Wet on the Skin: Almonds (which, by the description given, is probably grains but it SMELLS like almonds to me) and honey, creamy and delicious. I keep sniffing my wrist because it's so soft and light that there's barely any throw at all.

Drying down: Still that soft honey and almond smell, very light but pleasant. I wish this was stronger but I'd probably need to slather it on for that and my imp doesn't hold that much as it is.

Hours later: It's faded completely and I can no longer smell it at all. Not surprising with how light it started, so it's probably best to slather it if you're looking for more throw and longer staying power.

Overall: This is soft, smells of almonds and honey, and it's GC. I love it.

Dana O'Shee was one of my very first bpals I ever tried back in the fall/winter of 2007. I'd loved the smell of it but couldn't wear it on me so I put it in the bathroom where it had slowly leaked out in the cardboard box over the back of the johnny, subtle-y scenting my bathroom for months. I hadn't gotten around to replacing it until just recently.

The moment I opened the vial, I was immediately brought back to 2007 again and it woke in me those such fond memories of my first swaps and my gaining new friendships in the wonderful bpal community. So many memories packed into one single scent. For me, Dana O'shee IS bpal.

But what does it smell like? I think it smells like Lush's Snowcake. Creamy almond oatmeal. Some benzoin and honey. Maybe the tiniest touch of cherry. It also reminds me a little bit of Snow White, but without the snow note that SW has.

Dana O'Shee is a near dead-ringer for Snow White, which is one of my dearest LE loves. Sweet almond tempered with milk; for being so foody on paper, it's surprisingly light and clean on. The milk note reminds me of Cleopatra; I imagine this is what she smelled like after a bath. :wub2:

My only contention with Dana is that it vanishes on my skin after just a few minutes. I'm a little surprised, as Snow White actually lasts quite awhile. At some point I'll probably end up getting a bottle just to tide me over from eventual Snow White withdrawals, but I'm not looking forward to having to apply it every few hours. Maybe it would be a successful locket scent. It's a shame because it's so lovely, but I imagine this becoming very cost-prohibitive.

This one surprised me, because it smelled very strong and almond-y in the bottle, though as others have commented, it can be pretty subtle as worn. I find it to be just the thing, actually - I like some of Beth's more potent almond scents on their own terms, but they're not really for me. Dana O'Shee is just kind of hard to object to. I find that I reach for my frimp when I want to wear a little something, but can't deal with a scent that's going to challenge me. Damn - just realized my frimp's almost empty. Guess it needs to be on my full bottle list....

oh my stars and garters, this is delicious. i got it as a freebie in one of my orders and... just... yum.

it smells very warm on my skin, like toasted almonds and sweet milk. unfortunately it fades pretty quickly, but i don't even care. i will gladly apply this every hour if i have to.

OMG-picked this up at the ECWC in Vermont last month, and even though the weather is humid right now, and this is a "foody" scent, it's cool enough to say, I need more bottles! As it settles on me, I don't get honey at all, but grains and vanilla. It's light enough on my skin not to be too sweet, just very very comfortable-from the foody descriptions I thought it might warm up too much, but this is playing nicely with my skin chemistry and instead of honey or almonds I get grain; very feminine and wearble while satisying my need for foody bpal!

Frimp.

Tried it once and wasn't much impressed, but it seems to have grown on me.

I just wish it was stronger, because it is delicious - very foody, with rich milk, honey and almonds on me. Not too much almonds though, and it is grainy and yummy - I want to bake cookies from it :blush:

My only dislike is that it smells sooo faint - it stays on my skin, like it's cuddling me (which I like) but I end up not smelling anything to other people (which I dislike) if someone was to stick their nose to my neck, they might Crave staying there, but as I am currently not doing any intimate contact with anyone, it is kind of wasted.

I use this for nights I can't sleep though; it keeps me from the whole nervous toss-and-turn, with it's close, soft, subtle Loving feel :hug:

I'm not one for sweet foody scents, but the milk and grains enticed me to try Dana out.

In the imp: Sugar and almonds, unmistakably marzipan.

Wet on skin: The almond amps a bit and then starts to fade

Dry: Almonds have been eaten by the milk and sweet grains and unfortunately, a little bit of plastic. This is starting to become a bit scented-candle like.

I was surprised how the almond fades. Hopefully the plastic burns off because I like the soft, dreaminess of the milk and grains. Will need to retest. As stated by others, this scent sticks close to the skin, and would probably be fabulous on top of my shea butter cream.

Edited by Drae

In the imp this smells like almond essense, I really like that smell so I was looking forward to trying it.

Food smells don't normally work well on me, but this one is really nice. When I first put it on it smelt like almonds and cherries, but that fades and settles into a sweet, milky scent. For some reason this smells really similar to Alice on me - they both have milk in them and maybe honey but Dana O Shee doesn't have the carnation and so is a smoother and creamier scent on me. It also reminds me of something from my childhood. Overall I like it, it smells like milk and honey - very soft and feminine. It doesn't last well on me though. I would still consider getting a big bottle of this though to wear as an everyday scent

Wet: Cherry pop-tarts.

Drydown: Cherries w/ honey and spice. As it dries the cherry fades out. Sort of sweet and artificial.

Dry: It's barely there. If I sniff real hard I can pick up a feint milk note.

Well, that puts oats into the bread/cake category of notes that go invisible on my skin. I have no idea where the cherry is coming from, but that was the strongest note I got and even that vanished. Oh well, onto the next.

4 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24