Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

In the vial there were almonds.

On my skin, there were sugared almonds. Once again, my skins likes foody scents, whereas I'm just blah on them. Nice enough, but I don't think I'd ever reach for it.

In the bottle:

I smell sweet grains, that's for sure. It's very clean and warm.

Wet:

Oh this one is sweet, like Gluttony and Grog sweet. Honey just does not like me at all!! It had a strong alcoholy element lingering there...very moist and sharp.

Dry:

Ok, now it's a bit more oatmealy. I can totally see the comparison to Snow White. It's like Snow White with a hint of honey. It's slightly warmer and a little more comforting though. I do really like the drydown. I'm getting a little bit of the coconut plasticy scent, but not as strong as with Snow White. Dana also has a bit more throw and staying power.

Overall:

The drydown sold me. As long as I can get past the tooth-rotting sweetness of the wet stage, I'll be good to go. This is so warm and comforting. Though it is a food scent, it's not the normal kind you tend to associate with "foody scents."

Dana O'Shee

So many people on the boards love this one. I have just started dipping my toes into the nutty/creamy/foody blends and had to try this one based on her devoted following. Unfortunately I'm getting some very bizarre notes. I can't tell if it's due to my suddenly twitchy nose (I swear I'm allergic to work) or if this is just my funky skin chemistry and milky/honey blends (much like Sudha Segara)

In the bottle:

Almonds, and then a slight almost medicinal tang. I've gotten "Chinese Medicine" from several of Beth's resinous, incensy blends, but this medicine is different. It's more of a "Westernized Medicine" smell. Like hospital linens.

Wet:

Green almonds with a hint of soapiness.

Dry down:

Disinfectant. :P The almonds are still there but I am definitely getting a disinfectant odor. Hopefully this will mellow out to something quickly.

Later:

Even with copious slathering, this one is fading fast. It's been about three hours and I have to press my nose against my wrist to pick up the milky/honey/almond/disinfectant. I don't think I'm going to be morphing beyond the "yeuch" factor on this one. :D

To add my own stupidity to injury, I've managed to swap with two lovely forumites for Dana O'Shee. (This is what happens when the spreadsheet doesn't get updated.) So, it's off to the swaps with both of them!

at first: this is beautiful. a fabulous, soft, sweet almond scent.

on: very sweet almonds. it reminds me of almond crescent cookies.

3 hours later: not as strong, but still nice. a bit fresher.

7.5 hours later: this is still decently strong. still sweet almonds.

overall: this is fabulous. i'm so glad the lab tossed this in with my order because i don't know if i would have gotten around to ordering it myself. it's really nice and different from my other oils. i don't think i'll buy a bottle, but i'll probably grab another imp once i finish this one off.

I seem to be lucky with scents smelling the same on my skin as they do in the bottle.

That said, this is definitely milky/almondy goodness. It smells like it should be spread on something, like a cake or muffin.

I'm also surprised just how much it smells like the hand Honey & Almond hand cream I picked up at Target (which I love-so sweet & clean). All in all, a very nice, soft scent.

When I first tried this, it was oddly vanilla - in fact, it smelled like Dragon's Milk on me. Today, it's smelling like Snowcake. Not as much as Snow White does - in fact, SW smells like Snowcake *soap* whereas this one smells like what Snowcake is scented with, if that makes sense.

It is a lovely, light, almondy-vanilla scent, but the Snowcake-ness is getting to be too much for me. I think I'll finish the imp, but I can't see myself buying a bottle.

It doesn't throw much on me unless I really pour it on. Like Sudha Segara it's very quiet indeed.

When I first tried this scent I absolutley loved it, it smelt like pure marzipan to me and smelt deliciously sweet and nutty on my skin. I found it a very addictive smell. However it only last an hour or two on me, even if I put tons of it on. Alas, as gorgeous as this smells it just doesn't last and I won't be getting a larger bottle. :P

First sniff from the bottle- Powdery almonds

After 10 minutes- This reminds me of the vanilla lotion my Mom wears. Dana is very soft and delicate. Creamy vanilla and honey with almonds.

After 30 minutes- The cream is gone now. My skin amps up honey so all I am smelling now is honey almond. I would like this more if it were creamier on me. Once this is dry it smells like play doh to me. Not a problem because I like the play doh smell!

Summery- Dana O' Shee is light, powdery and honey almond. I think this will be a great summer time scent for me.

In the bottle: Almond. Oh man, almond.

On: First on, it's still very almond, unsurprisingly. The sweet almondy scent disappears relatively quickly, though.

Dry, it's a beautiful, sweet creamy scent - no almonds, just an oatmeal cookie smell.

I can certainly see why the 2004 Snow White was so often compared to this one; they're almost identical on my skin, though with Dana I don't pick up that coconutty, cold smell.

I have spent a good part of the day wanting to lick myself because of this scent.

It smells like sugary almonds. I love it! I cannot emphasize enough how much I love this.

Yummy!

It's like getting hit in the head with a sock full of almonds. And rocks. It hits *hard* and it's all almonds all the time.

It drops off fairly suddenly though. It's so strong at first, and it's gone in half an hour.

I wanted to like this after all the good reviews, but I just can't get into foody smells. In the bottle this was sweet with extra sweet. On me my first thought was "Marzipan!" It continued on with the marzipan, with extra almonds, though the sweetness faded a little. Ended up as a very grains and honey type smell, which was nice but not what I want to smell like. Although I was glad to have the chance to meet Dana O'Shee, I swapped her in the end.

In the vial: sweet & creamy.

Wet: Almonds! A strong almond scent hit my nose immediately after applying it. The scent quickly turned sweet.

Dry: Drying down, the scent slowed turned creamy. I ended up with creamy honey almonds. Too sweet for my tastes, I do like a little spice in there (like Dragon's Milk). I might finish off my imp, but I doubt I will get this in a bigger size.

In the bottle I get lots of almonds, but not that cherry almond that Bastet has in the bottle.

On me this is pure unadulterated Lush Smitten Handcream. I know the analogy of choice is Lush Snowcake soap, and indeed Smitten was made to mimick that. But Smitten doesn't have the floral note that Snowcake has, and neither does Dana O'Shee. However, Smitten can have a tendancy to be a little 'potatoey' on my skin. Dana O'Shee isn't.

It is really really lovely. I don't know about it's staying power yet as I only recently applied it (1 hour ago) but it is still there. By its lightness, however, I think it is one I may have to apply liberally.

Because of it being in the Snowcake family I see it as a Christmas scent. But I think it would also be nice anytime a soft, clean yet warm and friendly scent was needed. Glad I went for the 5ml unsniffed on this one. Lovely.

From the vial: the scent is so light! Almond is my favourite note, so I detect it easily. Very promising!

Applied: sweet, but light. Almonds are there, I can smell some lightest vanilla and milky/creamy base. I think that what some people describe as "powdery note" might be fresh, still green grains, which have that slightly floury taste and smell.

After a while: the scent becomes "clearer". Powdery notes are gone, what I smell right now is pure vanilla/almond blend with a drop of golden honey added...

Summary: Dana O'Shee is unbelievably yummy! I only wish it wasn't that light. On my skin it needs double application to be as detectable as other BPAL scents. I will surely buy a bottle of it, I just need to consider if 5 ml would be enough. It's light enough to be a daytime scent, very girly and sweet. Great recommendation for every BPAL newbie.

This smell is divine!

The almonds are so yum in this one, and start of very strong on me. There is an oat smell - like Honey Smacks - of puffed wheat with honey. It is just so good. The almond stays pretty strong throughout the day, but gives way to some creamy goodness after a few hours.

This scent stayed strong on my all day, and it had a lot of throw. I smelled like marzipan! Even after I got home from work I could still smell that marzipany goodness - like a certain beloved Lush product I know.

My only complaint (and this happens to me with other honey scents (Alice) as well) is that the honey takes on a really strong burnt quality to it. Like, the taste of it after you've eaten entirely too much honey would be. It is a bitter note to an otherwise really sweet and delicious smell.

This goes on my big bottle list!

Honied almonds, bottled--very marzipan. A lovely, warm, snuggly scent...that lasts all of 30 seconds on my skin =( I'll proly swap this, as even though I love it a scent that lasts less than a minute on me is pretty useless ;_: *sob*

Guest ExquisiteSiren

Creamy sweet oats and sugar....placed in the door way of an old cottage in Ireland, lush teal pastures for miles.

And you are laying with your true lover lad under a blanket...while you gently kiss eachother on the forehead...

safe, gentle, warm, comfort in a bottle.

Makes me think evil thoughts...of making a love interest alfredo and wearing this while we cuddle....Muahaha he would be mine forever.

I tested this on my edgy nerve wracked mother....and it seems to make her calmer around me...and most of all ME more calm around her.

Makes me want to have "nesting" thoughts....

I mean think about it. It was made to comfort evil faeries.

i agree that in the bottle and when wet this smells just like almonds but once it dries to me it becomes porridge made with semi skimmed milk and loads of honey :P which is good btw lol

Edited by Nemesister

I ordered an imp of this based on the lab description and recommendations from others, and didn't give a lot of thought to how it would smell in reality.

IN THE BOTTLE: Woah, almonds. Very marzipan-y. Almond is one of those scents that I'm definitely not a fan of, so I almost didn't make it past the bottle stage.

WHEN FIRST APPLIED: When it first went on, it was still overwhelmingly almond, although more of an almond cookie than marzipan, which was a bit of an improvement over the bottle. Within five minutes, the almond disappeared almost completely and the scent turned to more of a sugar cookie smell. Very nice. Definitely a food-y scent.

THE DRYDOWN: About two hours after applying, the almond scent came back. Now, about four hours after the initial application, everything has faded quite a bit, but the overriding scent is still almond cookie.

OVERALL: I really wanted to like this, but I'm not sure I do. I don't hate it, I just am having a hard time getting past the almond notes. I think this is one I'll have to set aside for a while and try again later.

This smells wonderful on, it's the only BPAL scent I've tried which really lasts on me and it's brilliant to get a waft of marzipan/frangipan as I move around throughout the day.

Dana O Shea

Love it!! :P

Soft, ginger, milk & oatmeal!! Reminds me of Sudha Segara, which I also love! I'll have to wear that one again & compare.

I'm all into the creamy, gingery, sweet fragrances lately!! Yummm :D

Dana O'Shee

Wet: maraschino cherries?!

Drydown: Very almondy, milky with honey. Creamy. Luscious. Once you get past the overwhelming foody smell, Dana O'Shee mellows out to a very wonderful creamy smell.

Longterm wear: Oh yes, we have a winner.

It took me quite a while to appreciate Dana O'Shee. I waited longingly for it and was sure I would love it, but when I got it, I thought "meh." Which is also how I felt about Lush snowcake and scents that people say are similiar. I found myself much more enamored with spicy, strong scents. I think I traded or sold my first 2 5ml of Dana and all my imps. Then something happened, I don't know what, and I can't be without her. Comforting sweet milk, I adore it and find it essential to have with me at all times. It's a great innocent sweet scent.

I am famously againsty milky/creamy/foody scents, so here goes......

In the Bottle Almond, honey, oat........

Wet Almondy...... I can do almonds...... not bad. Sweet, but not too sweet.....

it would smell good on a small child.

Drydown Oatmeal is coming through more...... I liked the almonds better. the scent is getting really faint. I am straining to smell it.

Two Hours Later Not bad, not too sweet........ I really thought I was going to hate it. Now it is mostly honey and soft cream.

Verdict It was okay....... not really me. I don't like smelling like food, and it was too innocent and simple...... not me either...... But I didn't hate it either. And I had expected to throw the imp across the room. lol.