Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

My skin seems to amplify the sweet in this scent. The milkiness is gone very quickly on me, and I'm left with a very honey sweet scent, with an almondy undertone. I don't think this one works well with my chemistry. I'm sending it on for someone else to try.

In the bottle: I've had some bad experiences with honey and milk scents so I was almost on the point of not wanting to even order Dana O'Shee, and then the lab threw it in as a freebie. That does remind me of Snow White. Kinda almondy and sweet with a touch of milk behind it.

Wet: Why do you smell like almonds? I do not like the smell of almonds. I do not like it, Sam I am. Sweet almond and honey smell again. This is very...it smells like some kind of candy I came across at some point in my life and did not like. I was hoping this would be more like Alice without the carnation note. It's not bad, but I'm really not liking the almond tint to the whole scent. I know this a big favorite along with Alice, but there's something about the almond/milk thing that makes me somewhat ill.

Dry down: Less honey and a little more of the grains peeking out around the almonds. There's this background note that kinda smells like things burning in the back of my throat. Maybe my visceral reaction to the honey/milk scents stems from the fact that I have a slight allgeric reaction to most honeys. Of course, my dislike of the almond note that always seems somewhat present also keeps me from really enjoying this scent to the fullest.

Dry: Honey and almond. I'm sure this is quite lovely on many other people. People who are capable of stomaching these scents and even enjoy them. There's still that almost burning note in the background and combined with the almond, it is not pleasant on me at all. More of the milk is coming out of the scent, but the almond and the honey hold it back. This is sweet like a toothache rather than in the fresh, fruity sweet I covet in most of the scents I most enjoy. Marzipan? Is that what this smells like. I've had some bad experiences with it. Oh, Dana, I wanted to love you, but we were not meant for each other. I'm sure you'll find a lovely home elsewhere.

She smelled lovely and almondy in the imp.

But as soon as she hit my skin my chemistry struck again: Baby Powder.

I have been dying to try Dana O'Shee for a while now, and I was thrilled to find the lab included an imp of this in the order I received today! Now I don't have to wait for the imp I have coming in my next order! :D

In the bottle, the first sniff reminds me of Snow White - I can see why people have made the comparison. Sweet and light, a bit nutty. It is a creamy, milky sweet as opposed to a fruity one.

On my skin, it stays true. A sweet, milky fragrance, with a touch of something I can't name. Warm, but not heavy. Makes me feel girly and think of spring!

It seemed to last well, not a strong scent, but still there when I sniff. And I am sniffing a lot! :D I reapplied and smell a bit more of an almondy note.

Overall, this is a beautiful scent, and I am definitely getting a 5ml with my next order. Dana O'Shee lives up to her reputation - gorgeous!! :P

Edited by LunaSea

I just got this in a swap and tested a tiny bit on my hand. It does smell an awful lot like LUSH Snowcake soap.

I love it.

This is pure almond, pure mazipan creamy deliciousness. Defintely one of my favorite BPAL fragrances. A true HG of perfumes.

Edited by ianastar

in the bottle: smells like baby powder, cherry-almond, and vanilla.

on skin: smelled much better, a lot less..sweet. more like linen. very comforting..i'm wearing this one to bed.

I agree with the many people who found that it smelled very almondy in the vial and when wet, then mellowed a bit and developed a bit as it dried into almond-milk-something else. Lovely.

Sadly, I also agree with those who found it lacked staying power and that it's very light.

I love it, though, and sometimes I do want a light scent so I may yet order a big bottle of it.

ALMONDS!!!!

Almonds covered in marzipan.

Almonds, with a bit of almond sauce on top.

With a side serving of marzipan, and the almond martini. (with marzipan icecubes)

I you like the smell of almonds, then BUY A HUGE HUGE BOTTLE OF THIS. Ditto for if you like marzipan.

I've tried this out on my housemates as well, and it actually mellows down on them as it dries, and the almost overpowering almond did fade down to something a bit more musky, and less sickly. Saying that, one of them adores it in its marzipan/almond stage.

On me it then dries down to something which, for no reason at all, I think smells of hospitals or doctors surgeries. I dont know what it is though.

There is no reason why I shouldn't love this smell, as it seems to be quite closely linked with snow white, which I love...

Although saying that there is a background scent in the snow white that I dont like so much, and on reflection, that may well be almond.

If I just read the description of this I would have bought a huge bottle, but Im glad Laura gave me her spare imp first, as I obviously just dont get on with it very well at all!! I can see why other people would become big fans of it though!

I didn't expect to like this because the somewhat similar Sudha Segara didn't blow me away, because I'm not a big fan of foodie scents, and because I thought that I didn't like almonds. Well, I must be able to tolerate almonds because the wet stage of Dana O'Shee is a gigantic blast of sweet almonds and maraschino cherries. It dries down to a creamy, slightly greenish second skin type of scent that retains a faint trace of almonds, and makes me wish that my skin smelled this good all the time. It doesn't have much staying power on me.

I don't understand why this scent is so addictive, as it is completely different from what I normally like, but I thank the Lab profusely for throwing an imp into my last order. Good thing I have another imp coming in a swap and a bottle on the way.

almonds. yep. sweet, marzipan-y almonds. i guess there's some milk in there, but its probably almond milk. i like almonds, so this is fine :P

although dana o'shee is a light scent i found it had good staying power- i could still smell it hours later.

sweet, and almondy.

I must be a freak....I do not smell almonds.

in the vial: light very light sweet honey milk, not milk like we get at the grocery store, but fresh from the farm up the street milk, but it is wramed up, sweetened

wet: a creamy, sweet, fresh grain smell. very light and innocent smelling

dry: wow i am not much into fresh light scents but i like her. it is a white, frothy creamy smell. is there honey in this one? and definitely a grain of some sort. very very nice.

In the bottle it smells like...you guessed it, almonds! But to me, that's good. I like almonds.

As with Eclipse and Hecate on me, the almond vanishes within a couple of minutes, and I am left with a honeyed milk smell. Very nice. I love milk scents and this is definately good without being foody. After a while I can smell something grainy, mixed with that milk and honey. Wow. I was expecting a bowl full of oatmeal, but this is awesome. I have some Oatmeal and Almond shower gel that will go great with this.

Occasionally, I will get a hint of O, probably because of the honey, but O never stuck around with me, just vanished.....not this. Though light, it does stick around!

Another winner!

In the imp: Marzipan and honeyed milk....... Making me quite hungry, actually ( I looooove marzipan).

On me swiped on wrist, wet: Honeyed almond milk with some almond still floating at the bottom of the glass

Drydown, one to two minutes: Vanilla note coming out with a grainy backdrop... Soft subtle snuggly and second skin... YUM, my instincts with this one were dead on... Will be needing a vat :D :P :D :D

I just had to order an imp after reading the description and glowing reviews, and I'm so glad I did!

Of course I automatically have an interest in anything involving faeries or otherworldly little people in general, so I may be biased, but I like this one a lot!

Sweet, sweet, sweet! Sweet and creamy! Definitely can smell the milk, honey, and oatmeal in there. Somebody else mentioned maraschino cherries and I picked up on that as well.

It reminds me a little of when I worked at Dairy Queen when I was younger - it smells a little like the soft-serve "DQ" mix we'd put in the machines, and the maraschino cherry connection too! So it's kind of a nostalgic smell for me as well.

After wearing the notes all blur together more and tones down a little into a sweet creamy sweetness, but it's still very good. I could smell it about eight hours later if I sniffed hard at my wrists, so that's not too bad!

Matt (my husband) thought it smelled kind of like the Little Debby Angel Food Cakes, hehe.

I think I might just have to get a bigger bottle of this one!

this smells very similar to lush's snowcake soap (seasonal product) which I like a lot, but I was suprised to find that I wasn't so keen on it as a perfume. I probably would have used the imp up anyway, but DH thought it smelt 'nasty' on me, so it had to go.

I've given it to a friend (who also likes snowcake soap) and I hope it suits her more :P

Yumm, a real honey scent with crunchy almonds underneath. It is very light, and not sickeningly sweet. I can smell the milky undertones and I think that is what is keeping this blend so wonderfully sweet without being over the top. I can see a fey princess wearing this, it is perfectly delicate and womanly. Reminds me of freshly made marzipan!

Edited by Jasminepearls

I love this. I LOVE Dana O'Shee and I regret waiting this long to try it. It is sweet and the almond note is just a little stronger, making this a wonderful symphony of notes. Simple, but beautiful and elegant.

Aha! That's the note I kept wondering about: almond! Dana O'Shee smelled almost like black licorice in the vial. :P I think my nose and brain really need to have a meeting. They seem to come to such ridiculous conclusions. Dana O'Shee is very soft and sweet on my skin. I really want to love it, but I can't. I really dislike almond scents and it keeps making my stomach unhappy. :D Boo. This really is a gorgeous scent, it just isn't for me.

dana o'shee turns to play-doh on me. now, I love the smell of play-doh (who hasn't been tempted to eat it?), but I'm not looking for that scent in my perfume. I've already swapped her to a loving home!

Dana O' Shee - Based on the reviews, I HAD to have this.

In the bottle: Sweet almonds. Mmmm...marzipan. :P

On me/wet: First I get the almond note, then it begins to turn milky. I'm always unsure of milk, but this stayed a light, sweet almond milk. Underneath that, though, is the Play-doh smell I now associate with honey. Just a little, but there. :D

Drydown: This is very sweet, but light. It faded quite rapidly, and within a couple of hours I could barely smell it. Between the Play-doh note and the vanishing scent, this one doesn't have great impact on me. Another one banished to the swaps!

Ah...this has got to be one of the most comforting scents I've tried in a long time. Sweet, yet not really foody...green, but not verdant. This was perfect for snuggling up after being sick sick sick. Very much like a yummy bowl of steel-cut oats with cream and honey.

First impression: sticky sweet. Not too sure about this, as I haven't had the best of luck with the sweeter bpals. However, better to give it a chance, eh?

Wet: honey. Pure, sticky sweet honey. Very sweet and comforting, but not at all overpowering. Nice sweet scent. Not sure if this is me or not.

Drydown: Ah...there's the grains. This was what made this scent really work, imho. The grains, and there's something else...almost slightly creamy/milky, but not vanilla. Oh, this was very nice for a day of recouperation.

Overall: Don't know if I want a large bottle, but I'll finish the imp.

:P This is sweet and lovely. It was creamy honey on me, with something grain-like in the background. Mmm, it really does smell beautiful. This is another scent that could be used for every occasion. The honey lends it a nice depth. I felt like I could almost sink into good smelling yumminess when I sniffed this on my wrist.

ADDED March 11:

On me, five hours after applying, this is still going way strong! This has serious staying power on me.

This is creamy and very sweet. It smells like there's some kind of floral in this, but I can't tell what it is. It's really very beautiful and truly unique, like so many of the BPAL fragrances. It's a comforting scent in the way of memories. It smells like I remember it felt, being a very little girl and having to take a nap. It's warm, the room is very quiet and I'm drowsy and there is nothing wrong in the world. I snuggle up with my blankie...and that is this scent.

So, when I put this scent on, it smelled just like Lush's Snowcake soap on me- sweet and marzipan, a really nice almond smell. It was sweet and comforting, the sort of thing I'd love to wear on a day-to-day basis.

A half hour after I applied it, however, this scent turned bitter on me. The sense of the wet scent was still there, but it was like a bitter version of its former self. I was soooo sad- I loved the wet version. I think this must have a note in common with Snow White, because I had the exact same reaction as with Snow White- initial sweet almondy goodness, followed by bitterness.

I'm sad this didn't work out for me. It's going to swaps.

In the vial and on wet: Snowcake soap. Mmmm.... it was the comparisons with Snowcake that made me choose this in the first place.

Dry: Honey scents always fade quickly at first but then remain at the same faint level for ages. This smells lovely - really light. Quite sweet but not in a cloying way. This reminds me of something but I can't place what it is. It does smell like warm milk and honey though. Absolutely gorgeous. Oh, yessssss.....