Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

… Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

In the Imp: This is extremely delicate, I’m having some trouble picking up much of anything except a hint of almond and what smells like cherries.

Wet: Ugh, this is sweet! For me too much so. It’s very creamy and sugary, and unfortunately I’m not smelling any honey, which I do enjoy. Not only that but I had to apply quite a few drops of this to be able to detect anything. Sniffing at my wrists makes me feel like I’ve eaten one too many cookies.

Dry: More of the same, and now it’s even taken on a lovely soap smell. Maybe my skin doesn’t like this, maybe it’s the actual scent, but I’m not agreeing with it. It is feminine though, I’ll give it that – any man wouldn’t be caught dead wearing this.

Verdict: Cloyingly sweet, hard to notice unless you’ve got your nose pressed against it, and doesn’t suit me at all. I don’t know what I expected, but with the description of the actual Dana O’Shee I guess I was hoping for something stronger. Quite a few others seem to like this though, so at least I’ll have a good chance at finding a trade.

Rating: 1/5

I got this one free in an order several years ago. There was MILK! and HONEY! and it sort of hit me in the nose and then stayed there, very like a hot washcloth soaked in sweetened condensed milk and honey across the face.

It's not a very appealing analogy because I wasn't very appealed.

After trying it on and sniffing a few more times to make sure it was not a fluke, I passed it along to a woman in my writers group at the time, who gave it a good home.

This could have gone really, really wrong on my skin since milk and honey don't often agree with my skin chemistry. But I was lured in with the promise of grain :yum: I'm always on the lookout for grain and hay. This went on smelling almost of marzipan - very sweet with a nutty, almond note. It dried down to a milky, sweet scent that reminds me of the leftover milk in your bowl after eating Honeycomb cereal :) Not something I'll wear, but it was fun to try this one.

Dana O' Shee is very light and creamy. It smells just like oatmeal, milk, and honey, maybe some almond and a little cherry. It is sweet but not overly foody/dessert smelling. It does not seem to last as long on me as other BPAL oils do which made me a little sad because I really love it and wish it was a bit stronger on me, but that just means putting a bit more on after a while. I think it is a good fragrance for people that want to try foody smells as it isn't overdone and won't make you smell like a bakery.

Hmm. Milk and oatmeal with a touch of honey-- yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

I don't dislike it, but I'm not incredibly wowed either. I guess it just seems awfully... commonplace, and I've come to expect totally unique and surprising blends from BPAL. Maybe this does great things on other people, but on me it just smells like oatmeal soap, and I can buy that at the grocery store for a couple of dollars. It's light and clean and pleasant, but... it's oatmeal soap.

Not bad by any means, though, and I'm glad I got to try it. Just don't see myself reaching for it much over all the other really interesting scents I own.

I have to dig out my notes since my imp is gone, but my review is pretty much in line with the one right above.

I think Dana O'Shee smells great--it's sweet and warm and soft--but it is kind of generic. Not the "wow!" you normally get from a good BPAL. It definitely puts one in mind of oatmeal sugar scented body wash, and stayed remarkably consistent on me from imp to total drydown.

I sent it off because it wasn't very me, and because frankly BPAL has started to create in me a love of above all unconventional scents. That said, I can see why the people who love it do, and I think it'd be an excellent "enabling blend" for people that are hesitant over the more non-traditional oils BPAL has to offer.

Lovely, but simple. :(

A gorgeous creamy, wheaty scent that has a similar cool chill to it as Snow White. This isn't floral, but it smells fresh and lovely. Good throw as well.

When I heard 'milk, honey, and grains', I knew that this would be a scent to try. When I first opened the imp, it was like walking into a candy shop. It was a very light marzipan and was generally very lovely. Not quite what I was expecting, but as an almond fan, who could complain?

The trouble came, though, when I put it on my skin. I'm not sure if it just reacted absolutely horribly with my body chemistry, but it was truly awful. I kept trying to think of a nicer way to put it, but it honestly smelled just like a baby changing station. There was milk and baby powder and a vague perfumeyness that was just trying hard to cover up something acrid and awful. I wonder if perhaps the milk turned to more of a spoiled milk on me? I don't know.

I might still recommend this to others if just because it smelled so amazing in the bottle. It's entirely possible that it was just me. My skin has a habit of warping scents. I gave Dana O'Shee two chances on me, but that was really all I could stand. Definitely going to try to trade this away.

Oh Dana O'Shee, why has thou forsaken me?

In the imp, this scent smells amazing. You can smell all the notes of milk, honey and grain in it. So I immediately dab it on, and I can smell a faint almond scent coming up through it.

Then it dries down, turns to Play Doh, and disappears.

I like this scent so much that I'm contemplating keeping an imp on me at all times and dabbing myself constantly, so it never dries down on me. Or else just try to embrace my inner 5 year old and enjoy the scent of almond play doh.

I mean, whatever works ...

Both in the bottle and on my skin, this scent is exactly as described for me; milk, honey and grains. At the same time, I smell almond-vanilla, and I think it's because those two scents are similar-smelling to the milkhoneygrains combo, but maybe all five notes are in there, I couldn't sort it out. Any rate, I find it very nice, because it can appeal to someone who likes foody scents, but also someone who might like a mild floral sweetness.

Of course, I say mild to describe the nature of the floral scents, but the throw and staying power of the oil overall is very strong on me- but it's not cloying or harsh. Intense, but not offensive?Hard to describe what I mean, but just overall a very clean and straightforward scent with surprising stamina.

Love everything about Dana O' Shee, from the fruity cherry to the warm, creamy milk and honey. This is so comforting good enough to eat. Oh, but how fleeting it is, as I can't smell it after an hour, even with slathering it on.

Very strong milk with slight notes of honey. No grains. It reminds me a little of how Japanese milk-flavored candy smells. I like the way that stuff tastes, but not the smell. The Lab's milk note seems not to be for me.

I don't smell milk (a beloved note) or any sort of grain at all... I do get some honey, but it's actually mostly a watery, cold cherry-almond. :eek: Like diluted Jergen's lotion. Which heads toward serious baby powder as it settles on my skin. I've been looking forward to trying Dana O'Shee for a long time, so this is a disappointment for me. Oh well.

In the Bottle: the notes say it all; sweet grains and honeyed milk all the way

Wet: same on my skin as it is in the bottle, which is great!

Drydown: no morphing going on here, still gorgeous :)

Further Observations: This baby sure does last and last, about 6-8 hours of decent scent, and from 8-10 I can still smell it when i sniff my wrist

Overall: VERY pretty, totally deserving of the magnitude of praise it receives on the forum.

I was really excited to try this at first, but I was really dissapointed. I pretty much forgot about it except for a couple time, but I've recently been basically craving it as an after shower perfume. I think the culprit in Snowcake from Lush...anyways, this is a great skin scent. Very delicate and soft. I do wish it was stronger, but it's very cuddly and I think I need a bottle because my imp is almost out. And that's the rule...right? :think:

Hmmm.....does anyone remember that cherry almond face wash? I think Queen Helene makes it? This is what it smells like on me....cherry for some reason. Def. smell the oatmeal and some almond in there....maybe a touch of honey. Anyways, smells good for a face wash/body product but not a scent I would like to wear as perfume...kind of weird to me. Something about it IS comforting, but I do see this as something I would like to smell like... :huh?: Just odd...I don't know how to explain it. On me, the stay power is crap. It fades away in about 20 minutes. BPAL has so many wonderful scents I would love to buy a bottle of...this sadly, isn't one of them for me. Glad I got to try a imp of this though.

Dana O'Shee

In the Vial: Almonds?! That's not in the lab's notes.

Wet: Still almonds. But now the sweetness of the honey mingles a bit.

Drydown: Dusty, sweet almonds.

Verdict: I guess something in this blend just doesn't want to play nicely with my skin chemistry. I bet this would be lovely on someone else, but it's not impressing me so far.

In the imp this smells just like good marzipan, wet on my skin it turns into the scent of an oats, honey and almond soap that I used to love. Unfortunately this gets sucked into my skin and just leaves a vague sweetness behind. Need to find another use for this because I really enjoy the scent while it's around.

edit for undead perfume?: I keep noticing some soft sweetness wafting around a few hours later, so I sniff my wrist and find that Dana O'Shee has resurrected itself into this powdery sweet cream fragrance I can't stop whiffing. definitely have to try wearing this again.

Edited by skyelyric

It seems like a lot of people like this one so I thought I'd try it.

I agree that this smells like honeyed almonds in the imp. When I put it on, again I agree that this smells like milk & honey oatmeal. It's a but too sweet for me, but it is a nice scent and I can see why this seems to be a popular one. Anyway, into the swaps it goes.

In the imp: a very sweet honey smell, almost like the artificial almond flavor smell.

Wet: slightly plasticky, warming into almond butter, or maybe rice milk, almost. I kind like it!

Drydown: It dries down to a delicate, milky scent, but it has no throw to it. I have to get my nose very close to smell anything, and that's after two applications. Sad, because when I huff I really do like it! Maybe it'll be a late bloomer like Mama-ji on me.

Dry: Well, at least it's not fading anymore. It stays consistently near my wrist. Pretty pretty, but not sure if I'll wear it often. Maybe I should look into layering?

decant that i was frimped

in the imp: sweet and faintly foody. i'm not sure why but i'm flashbacking to an art supply store i used to shop at in oneonta?! there must be something in here that smells like an art supply i used to use.

wet: oh hai there fake cherry i luv u. no really. i love the koolaidy scents that a lot of the labs non alcoholic berry/cherry notes go on my skin.

dry: grains and fruit. that cherry is still the top note. i have to agree that this is really faint, especially compared to the take no prisoners, in your face scents that i seem to have been wearing lately.

i really don't see myself wanting to get a brand new imp of this, but i would definitely use another frimp or a cheap partial if i could find one. unfortunately though it doesn't stand up to my reqs for deliberate replacement- it's not sweet or cherry enough for me and it's a little too foody and comfy for me.

At first, it was sweet puffed pastries with a hint of cherries. As the day wore on, it was creamy and sweet, very milk and honey. It hangs pretty close to my skin, but it lasted all day. I found myself craving sweets. Lovely to try, but I don't think I'll get more than the imp I've got here as there might be dangerous consequences. Overall, it is a light and playful scent.

In the imp: Strong maraschino cherries. A bit cough syrup-y :ugh:

Wet: Cherries still upfront but less medicinal, joined by sweet almond.

Dry: The cherries have settled down and are just adding a gentle fruitiness. Sweet and creamy undertones.

Verdict: This is a bit too much at first, but once it dries down it's a sweet, soft, pretty scent. This is a bottle possibility.

Wet on skin, it was straight almond extract with a dash of maraschino cherries. Sickly-sweet.

It's been about half an hour. My skin is slightly irritated. Smells faintly of sugar and plastic.

Amusingly, this is one of the better samples I've tried and it's still miserable.

Edited by jayne