Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

Well now that I've calmed down enough to stop twitching over the new scents, I think I can finally settle down long enough to write some reviews from my order that came in yesterday. So here we go....

Category: Bewitching Brews

In Irish folklore the Dana O'Shee are a fae, elven people that live in a realm of beauty, their nobility akin to our that own Age of Chivalry, eternally beautiful and eternally young. They surround themselves with the pleasures of the Arts, they live for the hunt, and to this day can be seen riding in procession through the Irish countryside at twilight, led by their King and Queen. However, the Dana O'Shee are not benevolent creatures, despite what their unearthly beauty may imply. They are vengeful and treacherous and possess a streak of mischievous malice, and many have whispered that their true home lies deep in the shadowed groves of the Realm of the Dead. Hearing even a single chord of their otherworldly music leaves one stunned and lost to the mortal realms for ever, finding themselves prey to the Dana O'Shee's hunt or enslaved in their Court as servants or playthings. Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Initial Impression:

Sweet, light and just a touch green.

After Wearing It:

Wow, this is really nice. Lighter and fresher than my usual fare but totally addictive. Best of all, I can smell honey! It's a delectable creamy, sweet scent and that radiates with green Spring-like energy. Reminds me a bit of fresh sugarcane. Very nice.

Final Thoughts:

I really like this one, might even end up ordering a bottle of it, even though it's not something I'd normally wear. It'd make a really nice fragrance for those summer months when my usual favorites turn out a wee bit too strong.

ADDED March 6:

just to comment on the lasting factor, but this lasted hours on me. In fact, when I first applied it I loved it so much that I felt I HAD to reapply before leaving for work (4 hours after 1st app) even though it hadn't worn down yet b/c I thought it would soon enough b/c it was such a light scent.... But reapplying made it dizzyingly sweet and heavy so I was high off the fumes of it hours after THAT. Very strange. :P

Edited by clover

Oatmeal, milk, and honey. If I were to mix the three up in a bowl and slather it on my face, this is exactly what it would smell like. Sweet, grainy, and the kind of thing you'd lick off your fingers when you were finished spreading it across your face.

I just received my first BPAL shipment today... I ordered a slew of Imp's Ears and Elizabeth threw this one in gratis for me to try. I'm trying two per day so as not to overwhelm my nose, and this is the first one I shall review.

I have to admit I didn't especially care for the smell in the vial. But once I put it on, GOD, is it GORGEOUS. Soft, sweet, deliciously feminine. Very light, this one will require some touch-ups throughout the day (at least for me). For Lush fans, it will compliment Honey I Washed the Kids VERY nicely.

For Lush fans, it will compliment Honey I Washed the Kids VERY nicely.

This is one of the samples that came free with my first order of Imps Ears.

wet ~ My first thought was Snowcake, another familiar name for Lush fans. I'm not clear on exactly what either this scent or the soap are supposed to be made of -- almond? marzipan?

drying ~ It really reminds me of a bakery: sweet, but not cloying; fairly subtle. There's a slightly bite to it if I really try to snort it while it's on my wrist, but otherwise it's very gentle. If I don't mess with it, it won't mess with me.

dry ~ It's still sweet, and still reminding me of the Snowcake/almond/marzipan spectrum. However, I don't really have the bakery association anymore -- that goes away with the dry down.

verdict ~ I like it! I can get my Snowcake fix all year 'round this way.

Actually, this is alot like what i had *hoped* Snowcake would smell like.

At first its very almondy. Later on in the day, it smelled almost cherry-ish. It is definitely a sweet, delicate smell. Kind of reminded me of my old Strawberry Shortcake doll, but in a good, much better way.

I got Dana O'Shee as a free sample in my recent order and boy am i glad Elizabeth put this in here!

This is a very light delicate scent... I can smell the honey (yum!) but this also ends up turning into a beautiful cherry almondy scent on me. The staying power on this is pretty decent on me and stayed true throughout the day. Cant get enough of this!

Yep, it's snowcake, but better. Defintely smells like marizpan, but a little sweeter than the LUSH version. The only problem is that this one doesn't really last on me at all, a couple of hours and it's gone. I'm willing to put up with reapplication, though!

While oatmeal and honey is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, I can't say that I got off on wearing the scent of it all that much. It is a very light scent and dries down to a whisper of honey mixed with the vines that grow on old stone buildings.

Edited by waxing moon

Right out of the bottle this smells a bit too sweet but when I put it on I feel like I have a tasty marzipan filling in my body instead of organs, and that the almondy goodness is oozing out of my wrists and neck. Other reviewers so far have said that this fades quickly on them but it lasted on me for a good 12 hours.

I'm planning on a full bottle in my next order.

Post-big-bottle-update:

Thank god I got a 5 mL of this. When I wrote my above review I'd only worn it once from a borrowed imp. It's been recently written by a very intelligent poster that some perfumes seem to radiate out of you, and make people say "you smell good" rather than "that perfume smells good." Dana O'Shee seems to do magical, wonderful things when it comes into contact with me. As it dries the cherry aspect diminishes and I get the most gorgeous, nutty, deep, almondy, sweet-yet-natural smell that in my mind gives off a light yellow and silvery glow. I always have liked almonds, but never gave much thought to wearing them. This is so wonderful.

Edited by ladylatemar

In the vial, this one smells exactly like maraschino cherries. On my skin it smells like...well, it's hard to say because basically I can barely smell it at all. I've put on twice what I normally use with, say, Snake Oil, and it almost literally disappeared on my skin. I've refreshed twice in about half an hour and still it's only a very faint smell. What I can detect is a sweet almond/cherry blend which, if it was stronger, might be too sweet for me.

Strangest reaction I've ever had to an essential oil perfume, especially when it did smell strongly in the vial. But man, it's gone like the wind on me!

ADDED March 6:

Well, I tell you what - this may be too sweet a fragrance for me to wear but it's working wonders in my oil burner! :P

Edited by Shollin

In the vial, this one smells exactly like maraschino cherries. On my skin it smells like...well, it's hard to say because basically I can barely smell it at all. I've put on twice what I normally use with, say, Snake Oil, and it almost literally disappeared on my skin. I've refreshed twice in about half an hour and still it's only a very faint smell. What I can detect is a sweet almond/cherry blend which, if it was stronger, might be too sweet for me.

Strangest reaction I've ever had to an essential oil perfume, especially when it did smell strongly in the vial. But man, it's gone like the wind on me!

This same thing happens to me as well! I love the scent - very light and sweet but it fades after about three hours. I will probably order a bigger bottle and use it with a heavier hand.

I love this scent. its a very comforting smell. sweet and warm and inviting. on it smelled a little like Jergens origional lotion at first, but faded into a sweet, warm, real "milk and honey" scent. it only lasted a couple hours before I had to reapply, but thats ok, its worth it!

The best description I can come up with for Dana O'Shee is to imagine a bowl full of almonds, pour some sweet fresh cream over them, add a swirl of honey on top and place it on a sunny windowsill. Leave the window open so the fresh breeze blows in and gives just a hint of the newly green leaves. Mix it all up well & bottle it. :P

Very almond in the vial, but once on it mellows immediately into a grain-cream "milk and honey" scent. Pleasant and (on me at least) very light, almost powdery. Lasts a couple of hours on me.

Dana O'Shee has already been described very well by reviewers here - a very light scent of honeyed oatmeal, milk, and almonds. While this is not my usual fragrance type of choice, it would be a lovely fragrance for the summer and I am considering buying a small bottle of this.

Edited by dreamwalkblue

Wonderfully warm, soft, and comforting. The Dana O’Shee would definitely be mollified by this! Smells just like dry oats with honey and almonds. I feel like I’m floating above wheat fields in the gentle sunshine. If you’re familiar with Serge Luten’s Rahat Loukoum, this is quite similar…but without the cherry note. :P

Edited by ViolentKitten

This is a fabulous scent!!

What I am smelling when I initially open the vial is a little bit of cherry but mostly a very sweet smell and to me it smells like coconut (this is probably the honey) after it starts to dry on me it smelled a lot like coconut with a hint of musk and powder? This is a very sweet fragrance and I plan on getting this in a bigger size!!!

WOW - I can't stop smelling my wrists!!! :P

This was so pretty and light, comforting. I got a 5ml of this, unsniffed, and I'm glad I took the risk. It's more almond/cherry on me, but soft - in other almond fragrances, the marzipan smell is usually WAY overpowering, but this was gentle. Almost no honey on me, though. Something I will have to reapply throughout the day, as it faded to the barest of whispers after about 6 hours.

This will be a great spring/summer scent for me. Very almondy at first, then a beautiful honey (didn't know I would like that as much as I do!), and now - three hours later - a nice comforting honey-powder-clean. I think its gentle enough that I'll try it in my oil burner, too.

Almond essence but sort of fruity as well while wet.

Dries down to a clean, soft almond, yep Snowcake.

Wonderful layered with Bliss as well. Chocolate almonds, yum.

Almonds at first, then the honey pokes out, and last, the oatmeal. A very pleasant, comforting, foody scent. It's very harmless. However, it's a little bland, in that it's not very distinctive and it's very faint, so frequent retouchings are a must (although, it didn't help that much with me). I liked it, except it's not really me.

First sniff: Very calm and comforting – thick honey and cream with a whisper of almond. Great for those frazzled days.

Wearing: It’s my Friday and I’m wearing Dana O’Shee… life is good. Seriously almondy with a big gloop of golden honey on top. I don’t quite smell like dessert, but it’s close. This is GLORIOUS. Smelling Dana while standing next to the coffee pot was almost enough to send me into spasms of joy. Much to my dismay, it seemed to vanish the first time I washed my hands at work. :P

This is so delicious! It smells exactly like Lush's Snowcake and I ended up pouring most of my Imp's Ear into a container of unscented body cream from The Body Shop. It's such a beautiful almond scent and reminds me of all the almond-filled croissants I used to eat as a kid. Sweet and not foody at all.

Edited by Sarah

First Impression

It smells like Lush's Snowcake. Oatmeal and honey goodness, it invokes images of fluffy white clouds, wamrth and lovely summer days. This is a scent made for relaxation and goodness.

After wearing it

Oh Dana....the praise heaped on you is true...you are lovely. I was really excited to try this scent as Snowcake is one of my favourite scents ever. However Dana has a bit more bite then Lush's scent.. While it is a very "white" sort of scent, it's not too sweet or vlying. Perfect for summer! My only gripe with this is that the lasting power is really really small..I wish it stayed longer! Definitely a huge repurchase :P