Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dana O'Shee

... Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Wet: A greener version of O, not nearly as strong. More clean, perhaps more wearable.
On me: I love this. I may need to get a 5ml of this. The grains calm everything down and seem to give it a fresher feel. It's light, but it's sweet and lovely. Almost like it's the skin that smells that way, as opposed to a perfume. I love it.

In the imp, I was like, Another ringer for O? What gives?!

Dry on my skin: Wow, it smells just like Snow White, except it lacks whatever turned SW into plastic poison on my skin. (I think it might be the pine). I like this. I don't smell oatmeal at all, and I don't really get any grain or foodiness from this. It's extremely pleasant, however.

Yes, I like this. It's not as foody as I hoped it would be (it's not foody to me at all) and it really does smell so much like Snow White. I could definitely see myself wearing this.

i've been waiting a long time to try this one- i hope it lives up to my expectations!

in the imp: almond cookies! seriously! and it also reminds me of almond burt's bees hand salve. yum!

wet on skin: the almond mellows and the milky aspect comes up. it reminds me of those facial scrubs we all loved in the '80's. hmmm.

dry down: the almond almost disappears completely and what's left is a very gentle milk-and-sugar sort of smell. it's very comforting, homey.

in all: for those who like a more gentle foodie smell, this is excellent for daily wear. i am personally a ten-ton foodie smell kinda girl- think Beaver Moon 05 or Underbed. so it's a bit too understated for me, but others will totally dig it.

I love this one. It's so gentle and sweet and calming. It's not cloying and does not go "play-doh" as O and Dragon's Milk did on me. Instead, it's soft and comforting and perfect. There's really nothing else to say.

I get a sweet sweet note, the creamy thing going on in it is great in the bottle but smells like i spilled the babys baba on my arm and left it there for 2 days on me.

In Vial: strong almond scent

Wet: Almond with the honey coming into play

Drydown: Vanilla and almonds. It's not very foody but is a nice comforting scent.

The vanilla is now becoming the strongest note with just a bit of sharpness from the 'grains' that smell like almonds.

update: This has become my most favorite scent since writing this review. It reminds me of the comfort of a warm kichen baking all kinds of sweet goods. I wear it mostly daily in some form of a spray for linen and bascially whatever I can find because I just love it everywhwere.

Edited by gchris

I'd heard this scent compared to Lush's Snowcake, so I had high hopes for it because I absolutely adore Snowcake and because this seems to be a super popular blend.

In the imp it is a verrry sweet, syrupy almond and...something else. I can't put my finger on some note that is kind of bothering me. Hm.

That same note is kind of bugging me once the blend is on my skin. There's some synthetic and a little bit like Nail Polish remover(???) that is driving me bonkers. Maybe too much honey? It's not BAD and it smells best when it is fully dry, but it's just not as good as I had hoped. It's like, by the time it starts to smell really good on me, it's almost gone! Honestly, I think that if I am in the mood for an almond scent, I would stick to my Snowcake solid perfume :P

Edited by Suu4LC

In the imp, as so many other people have said, this smells exactly like Lush's Snowcake. Applied to the skin, the scent is still very similar to Snowcake, but it quickly becomes quite a bit sweeter. I don't get any honey from it at all, and it smells nothing like O on me. (Thank god -- O went horribly sour when I tried it.)

The sweetness is pleasant, gentle rather than cloying. It's not really foody, more like almond shower cream or body lotion or something. I don't think I want a bottle of this, but it is a lovely, soft scent that I might like to wear on quiet days. (Lasting power isn't too bad. I've had it on for two hours now and it's still fairly strong. It does stay close to the skin, though; I have to put my nose to my wrist to really smell it.)

Wet: OMG I love this. The milk and honey are jumping out. the grains do add another scent, and it's all just FABULOUS.

Dry down: wow, this one is growing faint, but it's the same as it was wet.

Dry: oh no! where did it go? I have to put my nose right to my wrist to smell this one, but if I can make it work in a scent locket this is DEFINITELY bottle worthy.

9 out of 10(for lack of throw)

Another interesting scent, to say the least.

In the imp: Cherry Almond, almost reminds me of the lollipops I used to get in the pediatrician's office.

Wet: Play-doh. I smell Play-doh here. OK, so we're continuing on the childhood theme.

Dry: It's gone to baby powder now. Pleasant. Perhaps this one will be good for layering with something else.

All I really get is a well rounded almond/cherry-ish scent. This is like a creamier and more subdued version of Black Phoenix. I'm not really getting any honey here, or anything else for that matter.

In bottle: Sweet milk and honey. I am surprised there is no almond in this as it smells like almond cookie. Wet: Slightly powerey but still very much that pleasant honey cookie scent. Dry; I’m rather disappointed. It went all soapy.

In the imp and wet: it smells exactly as described -- boiled grain, milk, and honey.

As it dried, only the honey remained on me, and it slowly dissipated until it was gone after only a few hours. For a while, though, there was a period where I couldn't smell anything distinctive but had almost a subliminal impression that something sweet and warm was floating around me.

It's quite nice, though. A very soft, modest scent. Good to wear when you want to be quiet and comforting.

IN THE IMP: Strong almond, very much like Burt's Bees almond and milk hand cream.

WET: The almond dies down a lot. It becomes a lot creamier, like sweet milk with honey and almond extract. I get a hint of the grains, too.

DRY: Disappears pretty fast; I can smell a light, sweet almond milk if I sniff closely. It's a very soft, pleasant scent though, as someone else said, more like body lotion than perfume.

In the bottle: Almond extract and lightly honeyed milk.

Wet: Definitely that benzaldehyde-y almond scent, which is personally one I like. There's a nuttier scent underlying it, though, more like almond oil, and grains. The honey is light, the milk even lighter.

Dry: Dries rapidly, almost instantly, losing a good portion of the benzaldehyde note and revealing nutty grain notes - barley, I think, and wheat - others as well perhaps. They're muddled togther to me. Honey and milk still there and still distant.

Summary: In the final drydown, this is honeyed grains with hints of almond and milk. Sweet, but not overly. The grain notes, especially the barley one, recall The Flower Song to me. A soothing, warm scent, though not my style. Light throw, and fades quite quickly.

Yeah, I have to agree with those that said this smells like Snow White, yet more pleasant (because SW was a dusty, awful mess with my chemistry).

Dana smells like any commercial "almond/milk/honey" product to me, someone above mentioned Burt's Bees almond hand cream and I was reminded of the same thing.

Still, it's really soft and pretty and subtle. If someone else was wearing this, I would probably sniff away. It's not really my style, but I can see its charm and popularity.

Pretty, just not me. Wayyy better than Snow White, in my opinion.

3.7 out of 5

In the bottle it's ALL almond, but on me the almond takes a back seat to pretty milk and honey. A lot of the milky scents seem to go rotten on me, but I wear this a couple times a week, in the daytime. It's so yummy and pretty without being overwhelming, so it's perfect for work. It's a good alternative to a vanilla-scent if you like that warm lightly foody style but want something different.

fortunately I have an aged bottle. At first the almond is just too much and I get a cherry almond "jergens lotion" from it... but it mellows quickly into a soft almond. Very wearable.

While I do get the almond that every talks about, what I get most is jelly donut, How weird is that? I don't know where the jelly note comes from, but I like it. It's an upbeat, happy scent for me. And calorie free!

In the imp, this is absolutely delicious honeyed milk with a hint of something green in the background. It's so incredibly sweet I had to fight the urge to drink the imp instead of, you know, wearing it.

However, as soon as I put it on, Dana O'Shee went straight to LATEX GLOVES EW, with a hint of baby powder. I hate my skin chemistry so much. :P

Almondy, just the way I like it! Not overpowering at all. It's a nice, comforting scent, definitely wearable. To top it off, fiance likes it. His review: it smells like food, and that makes it yummy.

I was trying to recall what it reminded me of and I got it. There's a dessert served in our local Chinese restaurants: almond-flavored gelatin with sugar syrup, sometimes with lychee. Dana O'Shee smells exactly like that. I love that dessert and, by extension, this scent.

Edited by charisse

Where's everybody getting the almonds from?

Imp: Very faint. Sweet.

Wet: Still faint and sweet.

Dry: Doesn't last very long.

I like this, but I think it'll get better as it gets a little older.

Add me to fans of this scent:

In the imp: honey, milk and oatmeal!!

Wet: A wee bit of green, almond and vanilla

Dry: Very innocent, light and creamy, full of comfort

Verdict: This oh-so-gentle scent is gorgeous and not at all as foody as it sounds. I feel enveloped in cozy comfort. Something about the grains in this one saves it from being overly almond and sweet. This one is destined to be a classic in my BPAL collection.

ADDED July 24:

In the imp: honey, milk and oatmeal!!

Wet: A wee bit of green and almond and vanilla

Dry: Very innocent, light and creamy, full of comfort

Verdict: This oh-so-gentle scent is gorgeous and not at all as foody as it sounds. This is what I wanted HAEE's Celtic Cross to smell like!! Very soothing...