Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
LittleGreyKitten

The Premature Burial

Oppressive darkness, expressed through black orchid and patchouli, smothered by wet soil, a coffin’s teakwood, and the funereal gloom of cypress.

I usually hate dirty blends, but this is just pure sex. There's the earthy note from Death Cap, but there are other notes (super soft florals, trees) that add complexity and keep this from being dirt single note. I had no idea how much I would love this. It's so peaceful and comforting and earthy, without making me smell remotely like a dirty hippy. I loves it! Definitely getting more!

:heart:

I thought I'd give this one a try since I had an opportunity to swap for it and I was holding out hope that it might be something more than just dirt. Alas, all I can smell is wet, wet dirt... As it dries some faint and promising hints of wood and florals come through. But for the most part, dirt and I don't get along and this is no exception. :( I really wanted to love it but I'll be sending on to a better home where it will be loved.

Damp warm dirt with a hyacinth-esque floral. A more-pleasant Zombi, a less-aggressive Ol' Roswell Cemetery.

Quick fade.

Quick fade for me too. Cooling blend heavy on cypress and not on what I'd hoped for (soil and patchouli). Some teakwood warmth in the mix and a very plant-based smell. Meh on me.

This is growing on me. Fresh dirt...a little sharp at first but the drydown is soft wet earth. Maybe it's the orchid that calms it down a bit. This fades fairly quickly and the sillage is minimal on me.

I'm glad I have a bottle but I won't be hunting it down when/if I run out.

I don't know if it's all the gardening I've been doing lately, or if this is the scent version of pica, but I've been craving The Premature Burial lately. Unsure of vintage, but it's one of the imps with the oldschool tie-on label. On me, it's damp, fertile gardening soil with a faint breath of orchid and it is heavenly.

My imp of Premature Burial must be pretty elderly.  On me, it's soft loam, a note I enjoy, with a soft floral (which must be orchid) and just a breath of evergreens.  No patchouli that I can make out.  It's nice but not long-lasting on my skin.  

Bizarrely, I never reviewed this gorgeous scent, even though I've already gone through two bottles and have a few more backups stashed. I had just started my BPAL journey in March 2006, and Poe scents were an insta-buy do to my love of all things Edgar Allan Poe.

In the bottle, the dirt note is the most prominent, as it also is when I first apply. Then the patchouli rises up and the orchid sweetens the whole thing. The cypress was more prominent in fresh bottles than in aged bottles, but it and the teakwood make this a woody, earthy floral. 

It ages very well, as my bottles are all over 17 years old! They can almost vote! And I vote YES for Premature Burial.