Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Muladhara

MULADHARA: THE ROOT

The Thunderbolt of Indra, The Hand of Brahma

The Four-Petaled Lotus.

Security, stability, courage, manifestation, survival.

Muladhara is the root of all matter, the basis of physical existence.

Through this chakra, you draw down spiritual energy and cause it to take physical form. In this chakra, the three primary psychic channels materialize.

Within Muladhara, sleeps the Coiled Snake, your spiritual potential, and here it remains, sleeping, until you arouse and it work to bring it back to Brahman.

All of your samskaras take physical form in this chakra.

In the bottle: Whoah. This one is very abrupt and strong. It clears your sinuses, that's for sure. I definitely detect patchouli in this, the down and dirty kind and that part of it reminds me of Tarot: Death. But there's also something medicinal in there, along with something menthol-like.

Just applied: Initially it's pretty much the same as in the bottle. There's definitely patchouli in there, and it took me a few minutes but I know what the other medicinal part smells like to me: tea tree oil! I could be wrong but that's what it smells like to me. I expected this to be earthy (root) and very grounding. I also expected this to be a "red" blend. It's definitely red, but more of a red-brown, very deep.

After 30 minutes: This is a very strong oil. I only dabbled a tiny bit on and it's still too strong for me. However, after an hour or more it sort of softens and spreads out, and it is no longer too strong.

Rating: Personally this is a hard scent for me to wear because I am not a fan of strong patchouli blends. It definitely has qualities that peg Muladhara: The Root perfectly. For those doing chakra work, I rate this 5 out of 5. For scent alone, I give this 2 out of 5.

This blend reminds me of laying on the forest floor after a rain, stretched out and in full contact with the life-giving humus. It evokes that feeling of being in love with the earth, safe and resting in sanctuary.

On me this blend smells like patchouli and bark (like a sharp cedar?), and it has a strong curious smokiness like the ashes of a wood fire that were put out by a heavy rain. It's a very unusual and strong scent, but I find it beautiful and soothing.

I have some serious fear/safety/abandonment/vitality issues, and I plan on using the blend in meditation to focus on this stuff. I can say right off the bat that for me, it imparts a feeling of being safe within the earth... :P

:P I'll do a review again as my first one dissappeared.

129400421.jpg

131636748.jpg

In the bottle

Smells like camphor or eucalyptus, pepper and maybe some kind of spice like clove.

On

This starts out warm and tingling and becomes minty and herbal to my nose. It's nice and smelling this blend makes it easier for me to breathe.

30 minutes

It's present after about 40 minutes.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Spicy/Herbal

Summary

This works first of all. I can feel it below my belly button but towards my back. If you like "Aries", "The Coiled Serpent", "Inferno", "Malkuth" you will most likely enjoy "Muladhara".

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Mainly ginger and vetiver, as far as I can make out. I love the smell of ginger essential oil, it's much earthier and dirtier than you'd imagine. This blend is warming and reassuring but also quite exciting.

Wow, strong!

From a distance this made me hungry, because I could smell something peppery, and it reminded me of warm mashed potatoes. :P

Close up, I get something green and wet, a leafy, heavy plant. I do get "roots" from this, grounding, a sense of connectedness to the earth. It's very strong, and very musky. I actually find it a bit too heavy for something like meditation- it's strong enough to be distracting.

There is definitely something like spice in here. I want to say ginger, but I usually like ginger (well, in blends like G.Poppet and Shub, so a sweetened ginger.)

There is something in the mix that reminds me of the smoked-meats smell of vetiver. Clary sage in here too?

I think a lot of people would find this very useful for meditation. It's just too masculine for me. It is, however, really warming. It made my whole body temperature feel like it climbed a degree or two.

Edited by aidenraine

Whoo, is this one potent. It’s very earthy and deep straight from the bottle, with a powerful vetiver/woods/rooty depth to it. Heh, how apropos! It’s a tad sharp, and I am concerned with how strong this’ll be on my skin. On my wrist, it’s immediately wet vetiver, maybe some deep spices like cinnamon and cardamom, ginger and a noticeable ‘hammy’ odor which I suppose is guiaicwood? There may be some patchouli and basil in this as well, as I get a leafy, peppery aroma wafting above the main oil dab. As for efficacy, I do feel remarkably grounded and secure after this oil has some time to dwell on my skin. I’ve used it at the root chakra point and I do feel like this is a great scent to add some weight to my usual fiery, chaotic nature. Over long-term, Muladhara becomes spaghetti sauce on my skin. Weeeeeeird.

Ugh. Muladhara is very overwhelming on me. A tiny dab is insanely strong and has a lot of throw... and smells like charred BBQ. I think that this might have vetiver and cedar in it, because both of those have a tendency to smell off and reminiscent of bad BBQ on me. It’s sweet and woodsy and reminds me a bit of sweat in the drydown. The smell just really distracts me and puts me off :P probably my least favorite of the Chakra blends.

Muladhara: the Root

In the imp: vetiver and cedar, possibly some patchouli. Incredibly earthy and grounding.

Wet on skin: gritty green vetiver and dry cedar, and a hint of pepper or ginger comes through now.

Dry on skin: oooh, this is grounding, deep and warm. the scent is a mix of earthy/dirty, woody and spicy notes. The first thing that hits me is strong vetiver, followed by cedar and patchouli, with the crackling warmth of ginger and pepper, adding a hint of savoury spice to the whole scent. very earthy but with a hint of fiery heat from the spices, the more I sniff I smell some almost soil like notes, which is probably due to patchouli reacting with other notes. but it's very strong on the vetiver and reminds me of my mum's vetiver oil mingling with the scent of her spicy cooking!

After a while: still the same, cedar and vetiver, a solid earthy scent, only this time the ginger/pepper has toned down a lot, so now the scent is more of an aromatic ginger than a hot one. Eventually, all the other notes fade away leaving a dry vetiver behind, with another note that reminds me of dry grass or straw. It's a strong vetiver but not a dark, ashy one like some of the lab's more 'sinister' vetiver notes, this one is more of a calming, stable scent. Vetiver has a habit of staying for a long time on the skin (sometimes resisting showers!) and this one is no exception.

Verdict: whilst not something I'd wear as perfume, as a working oil, this seems like it will be wonderful. The scent is very earthy, grounding, solid and stable. It smells predominantly of vetiver, with a backing of dry cedar, a hint of patchouli, and a layer of hot spices-ginger and pepper-warming the scent up. At times, this actually reminds me of the scent of my mum's kitchen after she's been cooking with Indian spices and is burning her favourite vetiver oil to get rid of the curry smell-but that's a good thing! but the earthy, deep scent of this oil does seem to capture the meaning of this chakra very well…and it seems to make me feel calmer and more down to earth. I will try this in a meditation-I have a feeling this will work wonders.

Muladhara is a nice earthy brown in the vial. It is a VERY STRONG smoky patchouli blend that reminds me of burning autumn leaves. It also reminds me oddly of hot dogs, possibly roasting over a campfire. :P Yes, that is very weird, but it goes with the whole earthy vibe, right?

Whoa. Very, very strong in the bottle. Sort of like wandering down into a root cellar that's been closed up for a while. The scent reminds me of that first day of turning over the soil in my p-patch one year. Just that incredible earthy, connected-to-all-things sort of feeling. Very grounding and earthy. I smell cedar and patchouli, and something else that's sharp and nearly overwhelming in a primitive way, but if you relax into the scent it feels better. It actually triggered a bit of a "flight or fight" response in me, and I had to consciously relax to appreciate the scent.

I've used it a number of times to help ground me when I feel my energy is too scattered, too high in vibration. There are times when I just need to buckle down and think, and this has really helped. I'm hugely pleased by the two chakra blends I've had the good fortune to experience so far. An excellent addition to my energy work 'toolkit'.

I won't comment much on this as a scent because that's not why I got it. I ordered a set of Chakra oils for meditation and energy work (mostly on myself) purposes. Earlier tonight I applied some right near the root Chakra and immediately felt it heating things up and opening me up, which is exactly what I wanted.

This is definitely a red oil and most certainly one relating to grounding things and bringing them into the physical. A lot of people have root Chakra issues, so this one would be good for a lot of people.

This one has alot of throw, and lucky for me that I love the earthyness of it! It must have vetiver and patchouli in this and something that takes you deep down in the forest, very lovely on me. I have found myself going back to this chakra oil alot, simply because I can't get enough of the earthy scent. Truly beautiful.

Chakra - Muladhara: The Root - Holy moly is this a strong scent! From the get-go, it was obviously patchouli-based, but as time went by, other notes like vetiver, cedarwood, soil (and maybe some sandalwood and leaves) became evident in the blend. This scent evokes memories of camping in the woods. That first night of camping when you lay out the tarps and set up the tent, and find yourself dousing your legs, arms, and neck with mosquito spray at sunset, while the smoke from your neighbor's fire wafts in your direction. It's the smell of plastic tent that's been bundled up in storage since the end of last summer, the bark and needles of the evergreens surrounding you, crisp night air where you can't quite see your breath (yet), humus in the soil around you, the trace of bug spray on your jacket, and campfire in the air. As for how this works to evoke memories and to whisk me away to one of my favorite pasttimes, this is a phenomenal blend. As for how it works in chakra ritual, I simply can't say. As for how it works as a perfume, it's really gross. I love the smell of camping in the woods, but I don't want to wear this scent on my skin. I smell too much like dirty tent/tarp plastic. Unfortunately for me, it has kick-ass throw and incredibly long staying power.

Muladhara represents physicality and survival so well. It is, as others have mentioned, really strong and earthy---gritty and smoky in a similar way to Brimstone. It commands attention as a physical, earthly smell and focuses the mind. I feel like I can smell pepper, cedar, and vetiver.

Again, another stunning capture of a chakra.

Wet: vetiver!

drydown: mostly vetiver with a bit of spice to it, possibly ginger or pepper. very earthy & grounding.

I'm trying these as part of the GC Circle Swap, so I'm mostly commenting on the scent. These are concepts that very much appeal to me, though, and I might get an imp of my own if any particularly speak to me.

Muladhara:

In bottle: Vetiver, ginger, and something that's almost a smoked-meat smell. I tend to see "hickory-smoked X", so maybe there's hickory wood in it?

On me:

Wet -- Vetiver and weird. This is very, very grounding and I can't pick out any of the notes besides vetiver, though there's a lot more in it. This makes my head feel kind of fuzzy.

Drydown -- Vetiver and very deep Indian spices, and that smoked-meat smell.

Conclusion: This is deeply stabilizing; for work with Muladhara, this could be very powerful. It's evocative enough that I'd want to do quite a lot more research on traditional chakra concepts before doing any serious meditative work with it. It has a lot of throw, which would be excellent for meditation; I could get an imp and it'd take me next to forever to use it up. As a perfume, it's kind of weird. It'd only be wearable by someone who *really* likes those dark, earthy blends.

First sniff: This one breaks the sequence of the previous three. Anahata, Manipura and Swadhisthana seem to be progressively darker versions of the same resiny-sweet scent; Muladhara, while still resinous, is completely different. No hint of sweetness – it’s got a bite to it, and it’s much more like wood than the others.

Wearing: Vetiver and mint? It’s very woody-bitey-sharp and cold. Not liking. It’s going weirdly peppery as it dries.

This is a very strong wood and vetiver smell, and I really like it. It's a little resiny, but definitely not sweet. I will wear it, but I'd also like to try it on the boy ^.^ He likes sharp scents.

Muladhara is very grounding, which I need desperately sometimes. When I use up the decant, I'll need to get a bottle. :P

To me, this is all incense and heady warm florals. I am almost afraid to look and see what other people thought about Muladhara, because the deeper I go into the Chakras, the more bizarre my interpretations...

I should note that I can wear vetiver easily, but I'm not getting dark musky woods from this at all... :P

We did a root series last night at yoga, which was more than enough reason to break this out.

It is STRONG. Vetiver and dark patchouli. Very deep, very base.

I don't know if it's the power of suggestion, but I really do get a tugging, gentle pull from where that chakra is. Also the feel of a pattern, like a heartbeat, and a gradual uncoiling. I think I'd be cautious about using this for meditation: it's powerful, and I frankly am not quite sure I want to evoke the Coiled Snake.

Yes, peppery, yes musky. I don't find it so much wet as others do, though. I characterize its color much more like earth than like red, though, as others have. Definitely warming, even a bit of a sting for me where applied (which even turns into a bit of a burn later: but not an allergic burn, I must note: no redness at the application spot). Also reminds me of Brimstone in its depth and smoke, as LiberAmoris mentioned.

Very calming, and yes, it does make me quite grounded. And focused, even, which is awesome.

My yoga teacher last night mentioned that the root also deals with the things you need for survival, including your job--how you make the money you need for food and such. And this is absolutely putting me in a headspace to do work. So I think I will.

Added later: it does soften later on, thankfully, fading into the background--into a low, warm, gentle, grounding hum as it's worn.

Muladhara (dark orange oil)

:P Decant: Powerful stuff. Earthy, wet and smoky. And something sharp.

Skin: I smell patchouli, vetiver and cedarwood. Its earthy, mossy, moist and smoky, and VERY strong. I can meditate in this easily, it transports my entire room deep into the woods. Definitely not something I would wear as perfume, its a spiritual scent. Its not sweet at all - Super earthy, on the brink of turning bitter. The element of Earth is so strong. It is calming, quiet and makes me feel my feet are firm on the ground. I feel focused. In the drydown a lemonish scent develops, making vetiver the stronger note.

The scent stayed for a whopping 9hours.

Muladhara is a powerful blend that touches your senses. A true chakra oil indeed.

Edited by Styx

imp: whoa! vetiver and cedar! this is incredibly strong.

wet: this has a smoky, earthy scent that makes me think of damp, wooded areas. there's also a faint whiff of lavender.

dry: the cedar has come out strongest and this is a very fresh, sweet, strong cedar. i don't detect any other notes, just cedar.

Whoa! This is a dark, dark, solid scent. To me it smells of patchouli and cedar, and probably vetiver, and evokes dark, fertile earth. It is very strong.

I have used it once so far, when I was feeling mildly scattered and in need of grounding. It gave me all of that. I think this will be very helpful for use when I need a solid anchor.

My first review at BPAL:

Oh, I love this one. Wet cedar, sage, oak smoke (almost like a doused fire), very light pachouli. This is lovely wet, drydown and dry. It makes me think of camping in the high desert after a rainstorm. Very clean, fresh, calming, restful. I literally feel "aaahhhhhh!"