Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Enraged Orangutan Musk

You didn't think I'd really do it, didja?
Five dark, aggressive, furious musks with ambergris bouquet, Malaysian rainforest plant extracts, black amber and orange peel.
Inspired by Lycanthrope and Heretic on the BPAL forum!

Ok - so EOM take two (Glad I copied my post!)
I love the smell of enraged orangutans in the morning....What do they smell like you ask? So it is musky - go figure - but it stays amazingly close to your skin. There is definately an amber note in here, again not overpowering. It is almost a "light" scent - not a lot of throw - which is a good thing in my book. The first thing I thought was that it would be a great scent for layering. There is definately a tang hit of musk you get at the end of a deep huff off of your wrist.

I don’t like musk, amber, or orange scents… so I was really hesitant to try this one. It was the thought of a rainforest-ish scent that drew me in. Plus, well, it just has a cool name.

In the bottle… smells kinda like Smut, Jacob’s Ladder, and a mixture of a citrussy men’s aftershave lotion. There’s a spiciness in the bottle that I’m hoping carries over when I try it on.

On my skin, spicy-perfumey-musk.

15 minutes later. This is light and a mix of things that don't really work well on my skin. Perfumey musk, powdery amber, and some sharp floral notes.

In the drydown, this is more of a hot, heady, lightly spiced, musk. It clings close on my skin, but every once in a while I will catch a bit of it.

This isn't a favorite for me. The light but ever-present musks, hot florals, and powdery amber just aren't anything that I would normally wear.

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I am not a musk fan myself, but had to have a bottle just because the name was so cool. Anyway, I took this to work and coerced my male colleagues into trying it. It's still living on my desk as an ice-breaker for rather intense meetings. We can slather and beat our chests or something.

The Sewer Superintendent said something like: Hey, this really smells good. How much does a bottle of that cost?

The GIS Analyst liked it, but musk isn't his thing either. He's a Curve man, whatever that means.

On me, I pretty much got nothing but musk but it did smell really good on SuperSewer.

I was a little nervous of the mad monkey, especially after one of the musks in Smut seems to have turned on me. But on me, the monkey's quite friendly!

In the bottle: Wow, that's definitely musk! Warm, but dark and ominous.

Wet on skin: Warm, enveloping musk, and a deep foresty greenness that must be the rainforest plants.

Drydown: I guess it's the combo of musk and amber, but this mellows into a very woodsy/incensey kind of scent - warm and natural without being an in-your-face "OMG INCENSE" sort of scent (although I like those too). I foresee getting a lot of wear out of this one!

I am so glad I got a bottle of this! I bought it more for the novelty and also because I wanted to have a forum only scent of my very own. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be THAT great but boy was I wrong!!! This is sooo wonderful.

In the bottle and wet on my skin~ mmm... musk, a nice dark heavier musk not overpowering in the least and very smooth for such a dark musky scent.

As this begins to dry down, the orange peel starts to emerge along with the "greens" of the plant extracts, giving it a spice! Soon after, I start to get my first hints of amber warming the whole thing up - this is good!

At about 15 minutes out, I almost loose the scent as it becomes almost a spicy 2nd skin - ARGG! I start thinking well, this is it! but then after another few minutes the spicy, warm musky scent emerges again - *whew*

I am about 4 hrs out now and Enraged Orangutan Musk is still going strong! This has great wear and awesome throw - not an overpowering throw but enough for my husband to walk in from work and lean in to give me a kiss, and stop to comment on how good I smell. The scent is almost perfume-y. Dark, warm spicy musk. Lovely, just lovely.

This is definitely worthy of a 2nd bottle....

The label says "BPAL.org Forum" on it! Cool!

In bottle: smoky musk, but not as animalistic scary as others get.

On skin: clean and fresh, like "dark, aggressive, furious" detergent. It feels stick on the wrist. I get woodsy (without pine or juniper) which must be the rainforest plants.

Half-hour later: almost gone! Where'd it go?

Two hours later: it's back and smells like men's cologne. A little too masculine for me.

In conclusion: I'm trying this on DH, and glad I got to try it myself!

Definitely an intense musk and ambergris! :D

As I prefer more of a white floral/green/resins scent, not quite me but I'll give it another go!

A unique fragrance! :P

In Bottle: Thick musk

On Skin: This oil is even thick in consistancy, very nice. Super potent musk, a bit animalistic. Very dark and at first quite masculine. The black amber makes it even darker but also gives it a softening edge. The orange peel does not stand out, it’s a slightly tart note hidden in the background. As the scent dries down and develops, it actually becomes a bit more feminine and pretty. There is a clean note as well, a bit soapy. I was scared this scent would be overpowering and full on “animal” but it actually lightens as the scent progresses and has a medium throw that doesn’t overwhelm at all. I sense a skin musk since it does settle into and compliment the skin so well. Gorgeous! Not at all what I expected, I wish I had ordered two!!! Some people have compared this to Smut, but it isn’t very similar at all. It isn’t as sweet and it doesn’t have that dirty note that Smut has. This is much more clean and fresh smelling. Sadly it does fade pretty quick on me, but while I can smell it I love it.

In the bottle: Thick, strong smelling musk with a slight bitter note.

Wet on me: Ever so slightly sweetens and the musk softens on my skin. Reminds me of Smut without the booze.

Drydown: Slightly floral, slightly green, slightly incense-y, all around beautiful musk.

Later: Went a bit powdery but still gorgeous smelling.

Verdict: A definite keeper. I'm happy to have this bottle. On a scale of 1-5, a 4.

Edited by mandragora

Oh man. This primate is musky for sure, but smell that orange peel coming through - it's nice because it's not just straightforward orange, it's got a different feel to it. Wet on the skin it's musk and you get that bit of orange, and ambergris is there. As it dries it mellows out while still saying strong on the skin, and the tropical plants extracts pop up more. Hey look, it's a bit of floral that i don't hate! Someone said it's almost a little perfumey, and i actually agree. But that's a good thing - it levels out at a vaguely floral musky and ambergris scent nicely supported by the other elements. I love it and i need more.

to me this is smut/snake oil variant.....and

something really jasminey or floral :P boohoooodles.....

sadly enuff mad monkey musk is most definitely not for

me and is off to a more loving home come 'morrow :D

This is a lighter musk than Smut, which didn't work on me. This one is a feral, sexy, raw, earthy smelling musk, but it's not too overpowering. There's a lovely underlying spiciness, that, to me, gives it a feminine feel. It's definitely on the woodsy side of musk, there's something that reminds me of sandalwood. It doesn't last very long on me, which is sad, but it's lovely just the same.

Ah the Mad Monkey. The Mad Monkey is quite delicious. Smutty, yes, there's a relationship. The musk in the Monk is clearer, less sweet, and not boozy. I don't get the tropical fruit in this, just soft yummy musk. Enraged Orangutan Musk gets sweeter and more like Smut as it dries. However I like Smut more- it just has an indefinable Something More that is better on me. Therefore I'm not sure I'll need my bonus bottle, since I feel they're awfully similar but Smut is better on me. Anyway, it's a great blend and I get a huge kick out of the name. If I don't keep the second bottle I'll probably give it to my monkey obsessed sister who will probably die laughing over it. For me, 4.5 out of 5.

My review was lost in the forum fiasco, and EOM didn't work on me at all so it went off to a new home. So I will try to sum up what I felt about EOM from memory :P

Usually musk loves me. I mean, musk smells great on me - if its a musk scent, I'm pretty much gaurenteed a new love. But I've just been unlucky I guess with Beths last two musk scents - Smut and EOM. Smut hated me and EOM was not fond of me.

When I first put it on, I thought I detected that orange a little bit, but that was the last I saw of the orange, it never did reappear. The musk didn't do it's usual thing on me and being a warm, glowy scent - it became a very dry dry dryyyyyyyyy perfumey scent. There was definite spice there but it was just a general sort of spiciness, and nothing I could really identify. Also, in the later stages, this went a bit powdery on me which I'm going to guess was amber flipping me the bird again.

enragedorangutan2.jpg

Bottle: Very dark green plant-y smell with underlying musks.

Wet: This is very perfume-y, stronger on the musk and ambergris than in the bottle, with the plant-y smell much further underneath. Right now, I can’t help but think of a perfume my mom used to wear. While nostalgic, I don’t want to smell like my mom.

Drying: Slightly sweet dusty musk. This is a hint powdery, like amber, and quite musky, though its not as overpoweringly so as I expected. Mostly, it’s a very dry smell. I don’t get much in the way of plant products and oranges during this stage.

Dry: The plants come out more with further drying, and even hints of orange towards the end. The green is a strong bitter, chlorophillic green, though the overall effect of the blend is not bitter, just powerful. Primarily, though, this mellows into a slightly sweet musky/powdery perfume.

Overall: I expected this to be a bit like smut, but its completely different to me. Its very gentle and pretty, and very dry, though not something I’d typically wear. I will give this time to age, but I don’t know that I will be keeping it. Lasts 6+ hours.

This is a wonderful musk blend. I was a bit wary of it since I didn't like Smut (which sounded so great in its description). But I'm glad I ordered EOM.

It starts out smelling vaguely citrus-y and floral, with an undercurrent of musk. But after a half hour or so, the citrus notes disappear, and the musk turns deeper and "muskier." I think the ambergris helps soften the musk, and it dries down to a lovely soft, snuggly, clean, musky skin scent. It's definitely a feminine musk -- a very easy to wear, all-purpose scent.

I bought a bottle of this because a.) I couldn't resist, and b.) I thought it would be nice if I could entice my father to share it with me-- he's not a scent man, but he's a huge Terry Pratchett fan, so.... *crosses fingers* I'll just tell him it's the smell of the Librarian after someone's called him a monkey, shall I? :D

In the bottle: Spicy, musky, woody and dry! In fact, it reminds me a little of Fire of Love, only not as cedary or biting, and sans crypt-civet (although the musk adds a somewhat similar animal note.) It's surprisingly soft, though, not in feel but in volume (so much so that I dabbed a bit on the tip of my nose as I got closer to the cap to sniff.) A little fruity as well. I like it. It's pleasantly masculine, but not overpowering, and reminds me far more of Luperci than Smut.

Wet: Mmmmm! Orange peel and something a bit floral, backed by a rich, glorious blend of musks and sweet, golden amber. This is faint, but damn, is it nice. It's a wonderful, heady second-skin smell... I'd claim that "Oh, it's just the way I smell naturally", if I thought I could get away with it! :D There's a rich golden tinge in the background: must be the ambergris. It's sweet, and musky-fruity, very well-blended and absolutely yum! I was really not expecting such a..... pretty isn't the right word, it's too male for that. Perhaps handsome? Anyway, I wasn't expecting it to be this nice.

(Except for, and this is bizarre, I get a tinge of playdough in this. W. T. F?!?!?! It's not enough to ruin it, it's just..... frickin' weird.)

Dry: A mellow, but engaging, swirl of sweet musks, perfect amber, smooth ambergris, a touch of wilderness, and the faintest hint of orange peel. Fantastic, and very unique, and astonishingly inoffensive. I think my dad will like this-- I know I do! :P

I've been turning this one over in my head for about a week now. I got it because of the unique concept and the intriguing notes (musks like me, I like amber, orange and amber are especially nice together) -- and the fact that I didn't want to miss out on it in case it turned out to be a favorite.

The lab's musks are marvelous on me for the most part, they really help carry the other notes, amplify them and help them last longer. Musk and amber is almost always a winning combination too. The fact that there are so many musks in this is a bit intimidating though. I initially can't really get a grip on this scent, it's kind of elusive and light, for all those dark musks.

What it most reminds me of is some kind of classic perfume. I'm put in the mind of black and white, 1940s films with women wearing hats, striking a pose, wearing pearls. Not floral, but still reminiscent of a very classic woman's perfume. I don't know enough about those to say which...it's just a general impression.

I don't have anything else like this, and for that reason I keep wondering if I should have it in my arsenal for those occasions. I don't really smell the orange peel but I think that is what makes this a bit more light and effervescent than a musky amber would normally be.

One of the musks has a vaguely.....unwashed feeling to it. A bit like the 'cheesy' scent that I get from Smut but a bit more far away and subdued. I don't like this musk, whatever it is. I don't think it's the civet bouquet, since I'm familiar with that. It just...makes me think of unwashed sweaty skin and I don't like that. I don't smell any red musk, which is the musk of choice for me.

Basically, this would be a good classic scent for someone who doesn't want a floral but still wants to have that old fashioned, powerful classic aura of perfume around them. I don't think it's for me but I might have to wait a bit to see how it ages. If you have a tendency to make musks smell kind of, er, unwashed, then it might not work for you.

I didn't know what to expect with this one. Musks can either work great on me (ala Snake Oil) or horribly (ala Smut).

This is. . . floral. Really. My skin is amping up whatever floral notes Beth included in this and the musk is just lurking in the back ground, dragging its feet sheepishly, and acting like a school boy caught with his first cigarette.

The drydown is more of a dirty-musk, but that floral note will not relent. It likes being centre stage.

The throw is impressive, and it has good staying power, but florals just aren't my thing so this will be making its way to my swap pile eventually.

Sniffing from the bottle: Candy-like, heavenly musk. It musk be the amber & orange that are sweetening it up.

Upon application: The sweetness disappears up close and all I get is nutty musk. Surprisingly, it's not animalistic at all - just nutty and...*searches for appropriate word*...musky. However, I can tell I'm leaving a vaguely sweet scent trail wherever I go.

After a few minutes: It turns just slightly green. Just a tiny, tiny bit.

After a few hours: Gorgeous, but doesn't stick around quite as long as I would expect it to. A heavier dose tomorrow!

Conclusion: Enraged Orangutan Musk could not be more wonderful on me. Love it, love it, love it. True, musky love.

I prefer the throw from this oil significantly more than sticking my nose to my skin. Up close, this is fairly off-putting. It's very spicy, perhaps from the ambergris, and just sharp and biting.

The throw, however, is really comforting. It's kind of a my-SO-got-out-of-bed-but-I-can-still-smell-them-on-the-sheets kind of smell. Musky, yes. Spicy, somewhat. A very "skin" smell.

The longer I wear this, the more it grows on me.

Much, much lighter than I expected! Sort of the scent the orangutan might leave behind in the room after...well, you know, murdering you in a rage :P rather than the scent of him up-close and personal. It's light and somehow clean - the citrus and spice, I think.

Musks aren't really me, but I'm glad I sniffed this before sending it to my mom. :D

How could I not review this?

I've had it for a few days and have been wearing it intermittingly, and it is quite a nice little bottle of growly musk. As others have said, this isn't really as ferocious as one would think, but still has a good, sweet musky kick to it that lends it some bite.

From the bottle, I get a strong, blended whiff of many musks. This is the same kind of musk I detect from blends like Loviatar and Iago, cool, slightly soapy, but with that animalistic twang that layers so well with leather and vetiver, respectively.

There's a faint, cedary woodsiness behind the blend as well, and I don't get much citrus if any.

Wet, on skin, it's an immediate rush of musk, and as a musk lover this is heavenly. It definitely sweetens and warms as it dries down, but also does lighten up some. Instead of several musks all vying for center stage, it culminates into a single thrum of darker musk. I'm getting a touch of the sweet woods drydown I did from Geek, balsam and cedar-like shavings. I still don't get any orange.

Over extended time it definitely goes soapier on me, but musks tend to do that, and it's a pleasant, clean musk soap. Mmm.

All in all, I think this is a good musk for me to wear when I can't quite pull of Iago or Loviatar (er... bondage balls and slap-me-in-the-face vetiver don't quite fit so well in... lecture...).

I must have the weirdest skin chemistry, because even though EOM is full of animalistic musks, it smells downright elegant on me. :P

It is, as others have mentioned, much lighter than one would think, given the name. On, I get carmelized musks and the barest brush of orange peel. I can smell the rich amber, but the rainforest extracts elude me. It's very, dare I say...pretty?

Even hours later, it's warm skin musks with amber. It wears very close to my skin and is a definite 'lean in and smell me' blend.

I'm so glad I got this one, as it has been a true and pleasant surprise.

Oooh, pretty bottle. Let's take her for a spin (GOD I've missed doing reviews).

In the bottle: Not that strong of a scent. I can't pick apart musks but there's a spicy orange-peel fragrance that I'm getting. It's a bit... chocolatey? Very sexy and appetizing.

First on: This is animalistic and kind of seventies smelling. There's a bit of a funk to it, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all... which it doesn't. Sigh. Let's try that again. It's a very sexy fragrance and smells like something that you'd wear if you took off work at noon to go make love for the rest of the day and night.

Dry: No throw at all but it's faded to something that seems mostly like amber to me.

Overall: Good! Not something I might have ventured on if it weren't a LE but definitely worth it.