Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Enraged Orangutan Musk

Five dark, aggressive, furious musks with ambergris bouquet, Malaysian rainforest plant extracts, black amber and orange peel.

Eeeee! Definilty musk! Maybe too much for me, unfortunatly :'( Certain types of musks make me smell like old lady diapers :P I'm a huge fan of amber though, so we'll see how it goes.

Wet on skin this is definilty an agressive musk. It's very dark and rich smelling with a slightly masculine edge to it (probably the orange).

As this dries down the musks fade out a bit and the lovley amber starts to seep through.
My skin LOVES amber. The dry down on this one saved the orangutan and it will not be throw into my swap pile. :D The amber notes are gorgeous.

This is a very perfumy smelling scent on me. Dark, rich and not something you'd wear every day (it's very strong and grown up smelling).

Scent: Enraged Orangutan Musk

Bottle: First, and without the bottle open, I must say: Oook. :P Okay, bottle opening... Like sex in a greenhouse. O.o It's musky and dark, with something very green and tropical swirling around it. But the core of this is dark, dark, dark and lurking.

Wet: The tropical note picks up on my skin, and overpowers the more primal notes...for about ten seconds. There's something ambery trying vainly to bring golden light into this mix, like the sun through a rainforest canopy. And a powdery violet sort of note, but that might be the ambery scent on dry-down, since ambers go powder on me. Wow. Another sniff, still a terribly complex and dark scent. I'm really liking this so far.

After a While: In the car on the way to work, and at the grocery store to pick up lunch for the next several days, this had a dark, greeny, tropical scent again - and I don't mean a tropical flower, I mean like a large, leafy, "elephant ear" plant - whatever those are called. And the musk underneath added an almost soil-like smell. This is just a "wow" sort of scent journey, here.

Before It's Dead: It's 11:21 now, a little earlier than I usually do the pre-post-mortem on my BPAL, but I wanted to type up something while there's still scent to smell. There's a powdery amber sort of undertone, and still this lurking, wet-wood/green something clinging to my wrist. Somehow, this all feels like a very "earth" scent. ^.^

In the bottle: Oh my. MUSK! Musk musk and more musk.

On my skin: Hrmmm.. something's coming out into those musks that I don't like.

Drydown: Amber has come out to wreak havoc on me. Sometimes it plays nice, sometimes it doesn't and this is one of those "doesn't" situations. The musks are nice, but I can't get past the babypowder-esque smell of the amber in this mixture.

In the vial: Smut-like musks with a refreshing twist of orange.

Wet: a perfumey note creeps in. I think that's the ambergris bouquet.

Dry: Yum! Deep, rich musk, round amber, and something softly herbal. It's reminding me more of Luperci now - that same soft, leathery quality mixed with the down-and-dirty.

Later: This lasts quite well, with moderate throw.

I'd wear this on a date for sure.

Musk, musk and more musk. :P Not sure what monkies have to do with it, but I think I'll like this!

In the bottle - Musk, musk and more musk. Just the teeniest touch of amber in there, too.

Wet - This is so dark and lovely with the barest hint of florals.

Drying - This is just sooooooo dark. Lots of musk and just a little sweet from the amber. The floral note is getting stronger, which makes me slightly less than thrilled. I'm not getting any orange peel yet. Come on out! You know I love ya!

Dry (1 hour) - All I can smell is dark musk. Well, maybe the tiniest bit of amber, but it's almost all musk on me.

Overall - I'll probably keep it around, just because the rollerball bottle is so darned cute! :D Maybe the More Than Friend will have more luck with it.

When I first got this, I only liked it a little bit. It was interesting, but had an edge to it, and the orange and musk didn't seem well integrated.

I tried it again a couple of days ago, and oh, my!! I think the black amber must have emerged because it has a smoothness and underlying very slight sweetness that it didn't have before. The whole thing is more integrated and really pretty.

After a two or three hours, just a bit of the old edge resurfaces but I can apply more, and it's beautiful again. I've already chased down a swap of another bottle.

:P

I have been looking for this scent on Ebay forever and was finally able to find it and win the auction. I am very glad I did. I love musk and amber and they love me! From the moment I opened the bottle I knew that this scent was made for me! At first it was heavy, but after a half an hour or so this really dried down into a smooth, sweet ambery, musk scent with a woodsy undertone. I give this fragrance a 5 out of 5. I will keep looking for a second bottle of this to keep as a back-up! :P

This is, indeed, very musky. In the bottle it's all musk, musk, musk, with just a hint of resin and no trace of the orange peel.

It goes on in a blast of ferocious musk, and the orange peel really comes out to give it teeth. The musk/citrus/ambergris combination makes it a quite traditionally perfume-y scent, so traditional I'm not certain if it's something I would like to wear. There's a hint of greenery in there somewhere, which keeps it smelling high-pitched as it develops. The longer this is on, the more traditional it becomes. It's very classic, but as it has no floral notes it might be a good choice for someone wanting to evoke that timeless feel without also invoking the Evil Flower Demons.

For such a high-pitched perfume, the throw is modest and the scent itself stays very close in. This is a very good thing – this sort of scent is one that could easily be abused or overdone. The fact that it isn't all that aggressive is a good thing. It leaves this smell where it should be, near the skin, where it can be discovered. Not a perfume for heavy scenting, but one to wear in little droplets here and there.

So far in other reviews it's drawing a lot of comparisons to Smut, which I can sort of see – they share a very musky base. But the musk here is less sexual, and there's no booze note to send this scent straight to bed. Instead, the green and citrus topnotes make this a sharp, intense scent that doesn't have the laid-back, self-pleasuring quality of Smut. There really is no comparing them; apples and oranges. Both are based in musk, but that's about it.

There's something very "wicked stepmother" about this, but I can't put my finger on what it is. And no, before you ask, I don't have an ape for a stepmother.

In the bottle: A dark scent – I smell the musks and I think the amber, but there’s something dank and humid lurking underneath.

Wet/Drydown: First on, the musks are hiding and I’m mainly getting the humid jungle plants, followed by the amber to a lesser extant. After a minute, the musks start to creep in. I get a visual of those orangutans stalking me through the jungle, slowly getting closer. There’s a whiff of the orange peel, floating high on top of everything. Oh my! The apes are here now, surrounding me, leaving me no avenue of escape. This scent is incredibly evocative.

Dry: The apes have backed off a bit. They’re still there, but they’re doing other things, occasionally casting an eye in my direction. They’re not quite so menacing now. This is a gorgeous musky blend, with humid plants lurking behind the strong musks.

Oh wow. I had no idea I would like this so much - I didn't think musks worked on me. I only bought half an imp from a lj-er because it was cheap and the reviews looked good.

When it's wet, the musk was very strong. Almost too strong - it smelled too much like sex and unwashed bodies for my taste. As it dries, however, it becomes this really sexy creamy musky vaguely sweet fragrance. There's a sharp undertone to it. I can't decide how I feel about the musk - sometimes it smells more sexual than I'm comfortable with, but most of the time it's just fantastic. Yum yum yum.

Seriously, I'm sitting here just huffing my wrist. :P I want more of this and soon, before it becomes impossible to find.

in the bottle: damn! MUSKY!

wet on skin: musky, with an undertone of ozone and dark, red roses. hmmm.

dry down: reminds me of the cheap perfume my great-aunties used to wear when i was a wee one.

in all: too perfume-y, too cloying, SO not for me. :P

Wow, I can't believe I didn't review this when I first got it. I loved it instantly, and then somehow put it safely away in the vegetable crisper and didn't get it out again until now ....

So, or course, I had to re-test. And ...

YIPES! :D Nasty!

Has my body chemistry changed? This is dark and stinging; the orange is viciously sour ... I have never smelled anything quite like this before. Eeek!

But - Whew! It settles after a minute or two. Now there is a gentle sweet citrus throw with a whiff of Snake Oil, and a complex amber/citrus/floral/musk close to the skin. Mmmmmmm ... nummy! What a difference! I guess this one likes my body chemistry! (Now, that's a small miracle in itself ...)

No wonder I loved this when I first tried it. It' s very different from anything else I have, and almost good enough to eat. Probably even wearable in public, although who knows what might happen with all this musk floating around?

Now either my nose is tired, or it's not going to stay with me long, but wow - what a ride!

Whoo-ee! I still love it! :P

Edited by celtimor

bottle: musks and amber.

wet: very, very musky. there is a very nice background hint of orange here.

dry: very nice musks with that enduring hint of orange.

Given my previous experience with Smut, I was leary of EOM. EOM does not end up smelling like swarthy male on me though. Huzzah!

Instead, it is an intense musky blend with a hint of powder (probably the amber). There's something almost peppery in the blend for me, but the first initial hit was something green (plant like).

Pleased as I am with this monkey, it is still not a scent I'd wear. Ah well, monkey will find a new zoo.

In the vial: Musky, with a sharp herby or evergreen note.

Wet: Whew! Really musky-herby. I also get something that might be the ambergris. No amber or orange.

Half an hour: Oooh, I like this one. It's very evergreeny musk, with the ambergris quite noticeable. There's something spicy warm that might be amber; I'm not getting orange, but there is a faint sweetness

Two hours: Still very eveergreeny/herby, but something is going sour. There's a spicy amber bite, but it's heavier than usual, less sweet and warm than some.

Three and a half hours: Men's cologne. Srsly. It's wonderfully evergreen-y and herby and musky, but it smells like a boy now. A fairly traditional boy, too, like something I'd smell in the mall. Oh, well. I didn't expect it would work on me; mostly I just wanted to try a rare scent.

Fourteen hours: Still there. In the middle of the night I was sniffing at it, trying to remember, and I think I have it: stale, it smells like the "Brut" cologne my boyfriend used to wear when I was 14. It was due to him that I realized scent had something important to do with attraction: I loved the way he smelled, even without the cologne. But with it? Wow. No other man I have ever cared for smelled good in "Brut," and that's what this scent makes me remember.

I’m glad I tried this again. I was ready to send this bottle off. Now I’ve changed my mind.

This is musky of course. A subtle, deep musk. But what’s so interesting is the top notes. I swear it’s something like orchid. Just a touch to sweeten and brighten the musk. This is all together unique and quite lovely. It’s close to the skin but that’s all the better to slather with. The oil itself has a body to it – it’s thicker than many of the oils I’ve tried. Of course it does have some age on it at this point. As it dries the amber emerges. Very sensual and lovely.

Edited by cranberry

In the imp: Spicy-sweet, musky orange.

Fresh on the skin: Rather sharp, soapy musk, sour-bitter citrus top note, a bit of round, warm, spicy amber.

10 minutes later: Spicy amber-musk with a little citrus.

20 minutes later: More and more amber, the clean kind, corrupted by something. I suspect I'm not a big ambergris fan.

1 hour later: Still pretty much the same.

Verdict: I didn't really like this much, for some reason, though I'll probably try it again at some point.

One word: Amber.

Hmmm :think: light. Much lighter than I was expecting from an "aggresive" musk blend. Not very distinct - where Smut turned into a rich sex-fest, this one has a slight bitter orange tang to it. Doesn't really blossom on my skin. I had really high hopes for this, but musks are really unpredictable on me - glad to try it though!

In the bottle: That's a lot of musk, alright! And yummy orange, too.

Wet: The amber and ambergris are romping around with those plant extracts, while the musks and orange lurk in the jungle.

The Dry-down: The black amber has won the fight, and for me, this is too much like Velvet Tiger, alas, which did not work on me. Hmm, the musks and the orange are still there, but reeling away. I'm going to try this in my locket and also see if the bf likes it. I really wanted to like this.

ETA: I looked at my review for Velvet Tiger, and it was the licorice in that oil that didn't work on me. What's in EOM that is the same or similar note, I'm not sure, but this isn't working on my skin. I have to go and wash this off. If it doesn't work in the locket or on the bf, it's off to the swaps/sell pile.

Edited by thekittenkat

:::ENRAGED ORANGUTAN MUSK:::

Admittedly, there was much wriggling and disproportionate excitement associated with aquiring 'Enraged Orangutan Musk' in a swap, and it was due to an extremely distorted misunderstanding on possible sources of inspiration for this fragrance...

Instead of looking at this as an (ook) allegorical representation of the Malay term for (Ook!) "Old Man of the Forest", the fevered brain, prone to fits of unreasonable (OOK!) excitement, projected the term of "The Librarian" into the role of the "Enraged Orangutan". (EEK!)

With an aknowledging nod being directed at Mr. Pratchett in the, "Good Omens" portion of Neil Gaiman's territory, there were high hopes...

That being said, there was more than a little relief to discover that this formula's notes did NOT include Bananas, Heavy Iron Chains used for restraining Snarling, Enchanted Grimoires, and Handrolled Cigarette-butts secreted deep in the moth-eaten robes of Wizards at the Unseen University...

A surprise with this one was the, "wand-applicator cap" that nearly provoked a mishap with bladder control when it emerged unexpectedly from the bottle and nearly capsized it onto the floor.

From the Bottle: The first impression of this fragrance is that it has striking similarities to both, "Snake Oil" and "Antikythera Mechanism"; sweet, dark, almost wooden tones.

The sweetness in Enraged Orangutan Musk at this point would feel right at home with an association of sweetened Pipe Tobacco in a Leather pouch.

Not being too awfully familiar with botanical specimens that hail from rainforest regions of Malaysia, it would be difficult to describe this aside from something that was once tropically sweet that has since composted and humidified.

Wet on the Skin: Now other elements come to the fore; The Orange Peel is fricking brilliant, while Ambergris makes this really, really suave.

The Musk, while obvious, isn't overpowering at this point.

The Amber does a pretty, pretty turn here.

Strangely, this blend not only morphs, but mutates once it has nestled in and made a true home amid the body-chemistry.

The Rainforest extracts green up nicely, freshen, showcase their lusher attributes, and put their dewpoint on glittering display.

The Ambergris in this almost takes on an edge of a more marine suggestion... There is a sharp, briny, kelpy spritz that makes this zing and sparkle a bit.

As Enraged Orangutan Musk slowly develops, the true brilliance of this fragrance begins to emerge... It is now easy to envision being crouched low in mist and vegetation, being supremely irritated with the slivers of Bamboo wedged into the gumline, staring through the slats of shadow with bloodshot eyes, high on fructose-feuled adrenalyne, hair at the nape bristling, ready to deliver a cantillevered punch to an interloper...

Enraged Orangutan Musk is brilliant, delicious animism.

Spectrally, this is brilliant green, dark purple, and crystal clear.

Vibrant and ferally virile fragrance for him.

5 out of 5!

Pure genius!

I tried this at the MnS and it was just one epic fail right after another on me, and the amber could do nothing to save it. Whatever musk this is, it's extremely similar to Reptoid Dominion--the Musk of Doom in Hunter Moon 07 and Ivanushka that turns to straight powder on me, but more pungent to a power of ten. So basically my skin turns this to Coty powder and cat pee. Lovely.

angry pack of musky monkeys appear from bottle and first impression is to get rid of this quickly but during drydown this starts to settle and in the end it is cute furry but still sexy and musky monkey that is not enraged at all

need full-scale test to get final verdict - this did not feel "me" but could still work in some environment and i absolutely adore orangutans (maybe i should wear this when i go to jungle trip in Borneo and see if i could lure some of those silent forestdwellers to appear in sight ;) )

Maybe the years have mellowed the orange peel and musks. On my skin this is a pretty mellow, middle of the road sort of musky blend. A little perfumy, maybe just a slight hint of a floral note around the edge, but other than that it's exactly what I would expect a musk scent to be - musky. No frills, no surprises, nothing to write home about. Inoffensive, pleasant, and mellow.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

I read the reviews before testing, so I knew not to expect anything too strong, but this is actually really nice and pretty! It's not very strong, but it's still quite nice. It smells mostly of musk- I don't get any orange peels. It's an inoffensive blend. It's not omg most amazing ever, but I could see this going well layered with something else, or something to wear on a cool day. I wish I could have smelled this way back when it was first released (and seen the label), but I'm still glad to have been able to try it just for the name. ;)