Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Nocturne

An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

In the bottle, strong violet with a little rose.

On, at first..LILAC! I love lilac. My old house was surrounded by lilacs and my favorite time of year was when they were in bloom. It's such a heady floral but without being heavy, if that makes sense.

Later, the violet comes back strong along with the tuberose which seems to amp on me. I'd prefer the violet!

After giving up on wearing this (come out violet!), I schmeared some on my A/C filter and it's glory glory glory all through the house, mega violet with a little lilac on top. I have also used Nocturne in the dryer to much happiness.

imp: Mr. Bubble!

on me: soft, mysterious floral

This doesn't smell soapy, per se, but I cannot shake the association with childhood baths...I don't know what I'm smelling, what is the lilac and what is the violet. I may have to take the imp with me to a florist and do some detective work.

I really like this scent - it seems old and young to me at the same time, as well as wistful and giggly. WEIRD. GOOD. Seriously, what am I smelling? I want to make friends with it.

Right now I can't imagine wearing this as a personal scent, but I don't want to part with it. Oh, this is so going in the bath with me. :P

In the imp: Flowers.

Wet: Sharp Flowers. I can't figure out what's sharp about it. Hmmm. But I think I'm smelling mostly the violet. I can't really detect the lilac.

Dry down: The scent is softening a bit. But it's still a bit sharper than I like. And still no lilac.

Dry: I think it's too funeral for me. Oh well.

In the vial: holy violets!

On the skin: This is hardcore violets. There is practically nothing else to this. Okay I take that back, lilacs and iris are popping to mind. Yeah, violets. That sums this one up completely.

In the imp this smells most strongly of violet.

On the skin, the lilac comes out and joins the violet. As it dries, the tuberose is there too, providing a floral lushness that is just tiny bit sharp. I really like lilac so I do like this scent despite the sharpness. As it wears the sharpness diminished and it becomes softer and smoother. Now the violet comes back. This is a really pretty scent!

all i get from this is a strong powdery violet. the lilac and tuberose must be playing subtle supporting roles. this smells a lot like violet candy. it feels very victorian to me, therefore i love it.

In the imp: Creamy floral that has the slightest suggestion of lilac, but almost reminds me of lilies (which is what tuberose smells like to me).

Wet: Big blast of tuberose right away. A very creamy lilac that isn't quite as 'high-pitched' or steamy as that note can be. Perhaps this is the effect of the violet; I can't smell violet specifically, but that must be what is grounding the lilac.

Drydown and wear: Unfortunately, as with most lilac-based things, this vanishes almost immediately. It's really lovely, but because of the lack of staying power, I'm going to have to swap the imp.

I wanted to love this so so much. It smells divine in the imp--all lilac and iris and like the most gorgeous spring flower garden, ever. Tragically, something in it turns to that old, dusty powder scent within just a few minutes, and I am sad. However, my misfortune was my lingerie's gain, because I used the rest of this imp in the water when I did handwashing today, and the bathroom and my stockings smell so damn good!

Early on, this smells very strongly of violets, which I like but am not crazy about (why did I order this again? oh, yes, for the imagery evoked by its lovely name...), with a hint of lilac in the background.

Once on me for, say, twenty minutes, the lilac grows stronger and prettymuch overtakes the violets. This is not bad at all, because I love lilac with a passion. However, a slight plasticky note has risen as well, though only detectable by a deep, life-giving inhale if my nose is very close to my skin.

I like this. It's pretty. I don't love it, but I like it. Probably something I'll wear when going to bed or lounging about - it brings a serene sort of calm feeling to mind.

Wet: In the vial, I hardly smell violet. It is a somewhat generic floral bouquet, with just a hint of the warmth.

Dry: On me, the violet comes out immediately. I can also smell a bit of the lilac, which softens and warms the scent. Violets are often very sharp and cold on my skin; the addition of lilac strikes a lovely balance between sun and ice. The scent toes the line between a secretive/mysterious flower and a warm/outgoing one.

For me, this will be a wonderful scent for March and early April, when the world hasn't quite decided whether she wants to live in winter or spring.

yeah, frimp from the lab!

first on this is so incredibly sharp and pungent on me that I'm left coughing. However I have hope since so many of these reviews sound pretty so i'm gonna keep my nose away from my wrist for a bit and check back after awhile.

After a bit Nocturne has softened with the lilac really starting to come out and I love the smell of fresh lilacs! however, there is still something sharp (i'm guessing from the violet or the tuberose) that is messing this up even though it has softened down. It's reminding me of the Easter bouquets that the church would have where my mom, who's an opera singer, sang on the holidays.

Nocturne is almost overwhelmingly floral so I guess this needs to be applied very sparingly on me because while I love to smell actual lilac blossoms I don't know if I like the smell of all these florals on me. :P Basically it smells like really harshly scented floral soap. :D

I might try someone's suggestion and use this imp in my bath at some point soon--it might be really pretty there since scents usually disappear in my tub. maybe something that is a bit stronger on me will actually leave something of a scent this time. :D

Throw: way too good--I can smell it constantly wafting around me. lightly but still wafting

Review: 3/5 (for the something in this that hates me)

Edited by Lunaratu

No lilac here at all - just a lot of violet, with the spice of the tuberose kicking in as it dries down.

Lovely, but I'm starting to realize that as much as I enjoy smelling violets, I don't want to smell LIKE them (I just keep thinking I smell like violet candies. Which, delicious, but no.)

Wet this is violet, pale rose and pale florals. Sweet and light. When first on this is violet and pale florals, a bit powdery. After several minutes the rose develops. This reminds me of Psyche a bit. It doesn't change much more on me. This is a nice soft violet and rose blend. Very pretty but not one I need to keep.

In the imp: the same clear scent I got from Morgause -- that's what violets smell like to me before they hit my skin and go all candy-sweet.

Wet on me: Candy-sweet violets (what did I tell you?) and fresh lilac. This brings lilac flowers so clearly to mind!

After five minutes: The violets begin to get stronger, but there's still a good amount of lilac here. I can't pick out the tuberose too strongly. (I suspect I might be getting some interference from my Paradise Misplaced body lotion!)

Drydown: Violet candies and lilacs.

Sweet, cool, and springy. One for the violet fans. Hey, I dig it.

In the imp: Very strong flowery scent. Makes my stomach turn.

Wet: Same... very strong, flowery, almost nauseating.

Dry: A little better, it doesn't make me feel queasy when it's dry. Still strong, but also fresh. It has good staying power, I smelled it on my sheets the next morning. I give it 2/5

I love violet and lilac, and I was really excited to try them together. Not familiar with tuberose, but I suspect it's the sort of sweet, "white"-smelling scent that's binding the other two together. This is really pretty and old-fashioned, but still vaguely unsettling and dark - I bought it for a lovely, innocent-looking, terrifyingly powerful Malkavian elder I played in a Vampire LARP several years ago, and it suits her quite well. Unfortunately, the violet has a tendency to disappear within about half an hour, and then it just barely smells like lilac potpourri if I stick my nose right into the crook of my elbow and inhale like a coke fiend. Which is decidedly undignified.

Edited by Electric Maenad

On first sniff, I get very very violet. Not quite catching any of the other notes...

After a bit, the lilac comes out a bit under the violet, but the violet is still the dominating note. A little bit like shower gel...

Either the tuberose or the blend of all the notes winds up giving me a headache.

imp: deep violet with light hints of other florals. lovely.

wet: very, very violet but just a hint of the lilac is starting to ease in.

dry: i'm beginning to think that no matter how much i love the smell of violets, they will never, ever work on me. this scent is a disaster. i smell like some sort of cheap, violet/flower soap. i suppose i can content myself with sniffing the imp. :P

nocturne, in addition to being a word that never looks right when i spell it properly, makes me feel like i've stuck my nose in a box full of floral-scented powder. i'm being smothered with old lady smell!

In imp, it's a light violet scent.

On my skin, it's a very traditional-smelling light floral - sort of closed-in and claustrophobic, like an old lady's living room.

When it dries, it's too traditional and musty for me - I'll pass.

Nocturne is a vivid and sweet violet scent. It smells natural and dark, as if the blooms of this violet are deep purple rather than pale, powdery or dusty. The one thing that stood out the most to me, though, is that this smells so similar to LUSH's Bathos bubble bar!

Edited by alicia_stardust