Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Nocturne

An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

This was a giftimp from the lab--thanks so much! :P

This is a sweet, soft floral--I get mostly violet with a touch of lilac. I really like it, but it fades quickly.

Sweet, soft and gentle. The lilac softens the violet, and makes it wearable for me. It doesn't morph at all (on me at least), it's the same from the imp to drydown. It doesn't have enough staying power for me to choose to wear it during the day, but I'd use it as a really nice bedtime scent. I'll try it a few more times before deciding on a bottle.

In the Bottle: A musky dark floral. Drydown the violet really starts to come out.

Dry: I get mostly violet, but it has a very dark undertone, something approaching the edge of bitterness. It's okay, but I like Venice better for my violet.

In the bottle: A fresh clean floral with a very pale purple feeling to it.

First on: The lilac takes center stage here with violet lurking in the distance, there is also something slightly buttery in there.

After a bit: The tuberose is making this slightly powdery, like a dry talc scent. The lilac and violet are holding hands now.

This is a very soft, gentle, feminine, almost innocent scent. I really like this and it would be great for days that I just want a hint of simplicity.

Edited by Spastik_Kitty

This is a lovely, soft, gentle scent. It is more lilac than violet on me, with a hint of tuberose. It is a very calming scent and I think I am going to use it as a sleep aid more than anything else. It's very comforting and snuggly. Excellently blended and just gorgeous.

It is powdery, but that's good for a scent like this :P

Wet, Nocturne is a dark flowery-sweetness. According to the lab, this is violet, lilac and tuberose. The floral combination dries nicely on me, and I also detect a cool minty tone which I really really like.

Overall I like this one a lot. I would be thinking 'bottle', except that I'd like to see if I can find other scents which feature that cool mint more prominently.

I like all the elements of this, I would just like to see if I could get them in a different balance with stronger mint. Is that the tuberose, maybe? It's wonderful.

In the bottle, my nose revels in lush, deep purple violets and bouquets of Persian lilacs. On my skin, the lilacs burst into bloom and demand my attention. Reminds me of when I was a child a picked armloads of lilacs from my Grandmother's bush. Dry, the violets temper the brightness of the lilac. After half an hour, tuberose warms the blend. As the fragrance lingers, the tuberose fades away leaving a hint of violet and a cloud of lilac.

Lovely! My signature BPAL scent.

This one will be short....

Sweet, cloying florals. Definitely not for me. But if you love florals, definitely give this one a try :P

Nocturne

freebie from the Lab

in vial: sweet violets

wet: violets quickly turning to powder

dry: powdery violets with a hint of lilac, which almost (but not quite) makes the scent bearable...fades after 2.5 hours

verdict: another violet scent not for me...off to swaps

Imp

Very soft. This smells like a mixture of baby products....the first breath you take in when you hold an infant near you after his mother has covered him with baby stuff.

Wet

I can smell the violet quite well, but not any other flower.

Dry

Either my skin goobles this scent right up or it just disappeared. Sigh, it was pretty. I probably will try this one again.

ITB: Oooohh, so pretty! Sweet, rich florals. Quite beautiful. Mostly lilac.

On: Harshens for just a moment, then the sweet lilac and tuberose come back to the top. Very nice indeed!

Dry: This reminds me a lot of the Dormouse. I haven't sniffed them side-by-side, but they both have the same sweet floral feeling. This does seems more somber however, as compared to the Dormouse's frivolity. Love it! The violet comes out, but, for a wonder, it is playing nicely with the other notes. Finally - a violet scent I can wear! And it's dreamy indeed!

Oh, heaven!

Light and sweet - I've mistook the lily for apple blossom, but it's all well and good.

This scent is very ethereal while being draped with a touch of a warm, balmy night in a cemetery - or at least, that's the overwhelming sensory visual I associate with it.

(I almost hear the cicadas)

As it dries it smoothes out - I think its the tuberose, because I don't detect the violet at all (which I am *so* grateful for!)

I predict a big bottle of Nocturne in the near future.

5/5

In the bottle: I’m thinking…morning glory (are those the little white cup-like flowers that grow as ground cover? The oil smells exactly like those.)

Applied: I can still smell that original scent, but with a bit more of a bouquet…lilies, something a bit spicy that isn’t a carnation, and a rose hovering in the background. It’s sweet. I like it. (It’s funny how I never, ever smell the correct flowers! Well, “never” is a bit hyperbolic, but that’s how it feels sometimes.)

After 30 minutes, it’s starting to cloy a bit and I’m sneezing a little when I get a whiff. *sigh* Story of my life when it comes to most floral blends. ALL of the initial flowers that I smelled (the "wrong" ones) are disappearing and I am finally beginning to pick up on the lilac and violet, but the violet is so faint I probably wouldn’t have noticed it if I didn’t know it was supposed to be in there.

Throw is pretty light. I imagine that I would need to reapply this every two hours at least if I were to wear it as a regular perfume. Because of the sneezing, though, I won’t be doing that.

Later: the violet is developing more…and turns to “powdery violet” after an hour, as I have read on here before-- in fact, that's the only thing left. I happen to love violets, but this isn’t the best one for me.

Definitely try it if you agree with florals, folks, because it’s a very beautiful bouquet of flowers.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 3.

Description: An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

In the vial: Warm and sensual, like sandalwood.

On the wrist: Still warm, but more floral, and I thought it was jasmine.

Later: Once it dries down, I get the synthetic rubber Barbie doll smell again, like I did with Harlot. It must be the tuberose. It just doesn't work on my skin.

On wet it's very fresh, smells like freshly cut flowers. Then when it dries it suddenly smells like the boy’s toilets! The lightness and freshness completely disappears on me and I’m left with soapy wee-wee. I was totally loving it up til then! After a while it evens out and smells floral again, but with less freshness and bounce than before. Then it goes back to stale wee. Very bouncy, I’ll give it that! When it finally settles down, it’s very nice, but it takes too long for me, and it's also very faint by that stage as well.

A freebie from a generous forumite!

In the imp: WE ARE FLORALS, HEAR US ROAR.

On, wet: ...whew. Violets and tuberose. It's a little sharp to my nose, but the more it dries, the less sharp it becomes.

Drydown: Soft, sleepy violet and tuberose blend. The sharpness is gone now.

Super-feminine, super-floral, while also being a bit dark and moody. I'm not sure if it's really my style or not, but I do like it.

ooooh!! violets, lilacs and tuberose OH MY.......

violets, lilacs and tuberose OH MY...... i absolutely adore this!!!!!!!!

this gets better and better as it melds with my skin's chemistry.....

this is going to be another big bottle order.... :P

beth's violet blends are nothing short of orgasmic....if you have not tried any of them,

you have no idea what you are missing and i suggest scampering quickly & do a search of

which ones might fit you perfectly!!!!!

In the bottle: Violets.

Wet: Violets with a touch of something soft and wispy coming to soften them. Instead of being deep purple, the perfume turns pale mauve.

Drydown: Violet softened by lilac and other pale mauve flowers. I smell the lilac from time to time, but I don't find it "true" (the lilac in "Blood Countess" is more obvious). Rather, the whole blend turns into a mix of creamy mauve. The tuberose is probably the one giving this creamy little sparkle to it.

Overall: Good if you're a violet fan, a very dreamy soft scent, calming and understated. I bought this one for my mother, who loves both violets and lilac, and she's relatively pleased with it, but like me she has doubts about the tuberose. I wouldn't wear it myself, it feels too shy and quiet for me, I'm definitely a rose gal rather than a violet one.

Nocturne

In the imp: violet, with either lilac or tuberose.

Wet on skin: still violet, but the lilac and tuberose notes come out more now.

Dry: this is a pretty scent! There’s a nice mix of all the notes in here-the dusty pale violet, a nice twist of lilac, and dewy tuberose. Very nice, a gentle and ‘pale purple’ floral scent.

After a while: this softens out nicely into a soft powdery violet and sweet tuberose scent, a little bit of dry lilac still lingering. It’s a bit fainter now, but very pleasant.

After a few hours, the violet smoothes out and becomes a gentle powder scent, like a dusting of scented powder on the skin. I think this scent would be lovely as lotion.

After about 5-6 hours, the scent that remains is a very light lilac.

Verdict: this is a very pretty, feminine, gentle floral scent, traditional and delicate. A soft violet, lilac and tuberose fragrance, all the notes are evenly balanced, making for a pleasant, soft dusty purple scent. It’s powdery at times (in a violety way) but the tuberose and lilac break up the violet nicely. I think it would be even nicer as a lotion-it’s a lovely scent but not one I need a bottle of, but I’ll keep the imp because I like it a lot.

Wet, this smelled like dew-kissed flowers: sweet and damp. It is, in fact, a very somber sort of smell - very different from the perky, fresh florals I am accustomed to. Dry, the lilac and tuberose come out a little stronger and neutralize the sweetness, but it is still way too sweet for me.

at first: very pretty and soft. lots of violet and other florals.

on: violet, other flowers, and something woodsy.

half an hour later: beautiful, sweet, and powdery violets and other flowersl

1 hour later: about the same.

2 hours later: powdery. all violet and lilac.

overall: this is very pretty. then again, i'm a sucker for violets.

I didn't like or hate this scent, as it wasn't too sharply floral nor did it dry down to soap on me. I would describe it as a "sad, melancholy" scent.

In the bottle: violets. Violets, violets, violets.

Wet on skin: cool and peaceful, violet accented with the slight flush of rose. The lilac creeps out. This is very floral, very velvety, and very cool and wistful. It has a lot of throw, but the halo of it is sort of passively feminine, a general cool floral aura. Only right up on it can you smell the lilacs and violets passionately fighting it out. The tuberose is kind of off to one side just watching – I'm not getting much of it at all. My skin is really emphasizing the lilacs and violets in alternation.

As it dries, it starts smelling aggressively soapy. Drat! I really love this in the bottle, it is so calm and refined, but I don't think it's going to work for me as a body scent. There's a reason I don't like most florals.