Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jett perilous

Sleepy Moon

A nearly-narcotic blend of opiate-touched bark and blossom reflective of the bleakness and solitude of winter, the quietest point of the year : black opium poppy, bamboo pulp, ylang ylang, lavender, chamomile and white sandalwood.

:P Ylang ylang and sandalwood, two of my fav scents. They blend great together for a very unique scent. Definitely one of the best lunars.

sleepymoon.jpg

Sad to say, Sleepy Moon and I did not get along. It is a very perfumy sort of a blend and I can't quite interpret the lavender in it as lavender, it's just part of a soapy sort of smell to me. I am quite sorry that Sleepy Moon isn't my thing. It sounded lovely.

Thanks to LupaWolf for the imp!

At first this reminded me a lot of the Somnium blends -- the lavendar and chamomile were soothing and herbal. Alas, it turned pretty soapy after about five minutes, which I think was the influence of the ylang ylang. Glad I got to try it, and that my instincts were right about not getting a bottle. :P

In the Bottle: Green, very green. Hint of sandalwood and ylang ylang.

On Application: Very faint on my skin, it's hard to smell almost anything. Very faint indications of the same greenness I smelled in the bottle. The poppy has made itself known, but very faintly. The traces of sandalwood and ylang ylang have almost disappeared. After a few minutes, this has warmed up on my skin, the scent is much stronger now, though it's still very delicate. Lots of poppy, and that's really all I can make out. It's tickling my nose.

On Drydown: Soft, delicate floral. All I smell is a soft floral. I think it's poppy, but I'm not certain. It's intoxicating -- slightly tart on my nose, but rounded out by a subtle sweetness.

Comments: It's pretty, but not me. Too floral; not enough sandalwood came out to tone down the florals.

Verdict: Swap; I'll never wear it.

Sleepy Moon is quite possibly my favorite of all of the Lunacy blends and it's most definitely the one I use the most. It’s simply stunning. It’s simultaneously crisp, cool and calming. The chamomile and bamboo are by far the strongest notes on my skin. The lavender is soft and stays in the background, but along with the chamomile is what, I believe, lends such a calming quality to this blend. Since my Sleepy Moon arrived, I have been using it every night before I go to sleep and I think it works even better than Somnus. As with most of the Lunacy blends, this one doesn’t last very long on my skin at all. It’s incredibly powerful when it’s wet, and the slightest dab of this oil will fill the entire room with scent, but 15 minutes later, it has faded significantly, and 45 minutes later, it’s entirely gone. This is, however, not an issue for me because I use it as a sleep blend, and I don’t need to keep smelling it after I fall asleep. I just need it to last long enough to calm me down, relax me, and get me ready for a long night of restful sleep. I am glad I have two bottles of this, but I will really miss it when it’s gone.

In the bottle this seemed to be solely a rather sharp aggressive lavender, much feistier than in most of the somnium blends and a little off putting. The moment it touched my skin the lavender faded to just a hint and the sandalwood and chamomile took centre stage and wow what a difference! Incredibly comforting and calming and probably my favorite lunacy so far.

In the bottle: This is sweet, sharp, and dark all at the same time!

On me: I smell lavender, poppy, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and bamboo. I don't pick up very much of the chamomile at all. Everything is blended together extremely well and this smells absolutely incredible on my skin!

Verdict: This is one of my favorites. So glad I found a second bottle!

Rating: 5/5

Thanks much to filigree_shadow for the imp!

First sniff: All lavender and chamomile, just a little sandalwood underneath. This is so relaxing, mmm!

On drydown, I'm getting the ylang-ylang and a little more of the sandalwood. I can tell the poppy's there, but it's carefully hiding in the background.

This is absolutely gorgeous, well-blended and soft. The visual image I'm getting is night in a big forest. Lovely!

In the imp: Lavender. And something else, maybe, but I'm not too skilled at picking out notes and the lavender is very strong.

On me: A nice simple lavender blend. It's got a fair bit of throw, but it's not drowning me.

Verdict: A lovely scent, but not one to hoard because there are so many similar ones.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lavender.

Pre-review thoughts: I love bamboo and chamomile, but the other notes, not so much.

In the imp: Chamomile, lavender and bamboo. Odd, but intriguing.

On skin, wet: Alas, lavender. Chamomile and bamboo as well, but already, mostly lavender.

On skin, dry: I can tell that beneath the thick blanket of lavender, there lurks an absolutely lovely chamomile-bamboo scent. Unfortunately, lavender has an awful habit of staking its claim to my skin, unmoving and unrelenting. It sets up camp and long overstays its welcome, fighting with other notes and eventually supressing them. Lavender, with my chemisty, is a bully.

Conclusion/Notes: A resounding no-go.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Sleepy Moon is delightful! I get hit with the lavender, bamboo and chamomile immediately but just when I think it will be too floral, the sandalwood comes in for some soft woodiness. And then the poppy spices everything up. This is a very soft and sleepy scent. All of the ingredients together make for a lovely scent, nothing is overpowering at all. Wearing this is like being wrapped up in a big and fluffy blanket.

Sleepy Moon was part of a very kind offer from a forum seller, and I was very excited to try this one out. Bamboo and poppy and chamomile . . . How cool, to try a lunacy blend that I totally missed the first go-around!

Unfortunately, all those lovely notes turned into an incense cone on me--not an incensy blend, but an Asian-themed incense cone that I had the poor sense to start rubbing on my pulse points. Even the lavender, which usually pops out sharp and fresh on me, was lost in the dusty cloud. But as usual it smelled great on one of my swap partners, turning into an exotic, green, lovely fragrance she can wear even in the most professional setting. Sleepy Moon was fun to try, and it's found a loving home, but in the end I'm left a little green myself . . . With envy, of course! :P

I've been unfortunate with 2/3rds of the Lunacy set, so here's hoping.

In the vial: Whoa, bamboo. And...pine. Ok.

On the skin: Ok that's better! That's certainly lavender, chamomile and white sandalwood. It's almost sweet smelling on me, and the bamboo isn't so overpowering. (like Dragon Moon was) It does calm and sooth the senses. Yay, finally another lunacy I like! :P

This one is so lovely. Soft, subtle, clean, somewhat aquatic. Very calming and peaceful. Love it. My only complaint is that it is VERY subtle, to the point that you have to slather to get any scent, otherwise it's too soft. But once you get the throw OK, it's fantastic.

I'm really pleased with this one. It keeps giving off an aura of light sandalwood and spice, while having what people have described as a 'soapy' smell (imagine an almost neutral, yet somehow soapy-smelling soap.) Calming, yet maybe a bit more spicy than I'd normally wear, yet in a very clean and not at all floral way.

with a name like Sleep Moon, one might think it's relaxing and could help you drop off to sleep... so I gave it a night time tryout.

it's definitely lavender. I think I got a few zings of sandalwood, but I can't be sure. it's very gentle.

helpful with sleep? dunno, but it's a pretty and relaxing scent.

This is very pretty. The lavender and chamomile work very well together. The sandalwood smooths down the florals without taking them over. It has a soap-like quality to it, but really really high class soap that I'd want to own.

I bought this Lunacy back in March - it was actually one of the first bottles of bpal I purchased, and not from the Lab. I had no idea it was an LE. I didn't know from LEs. lol I just knew I'd love it because of the notes and the reviews I read here.

Lavender means so much to me because of its aromatheraputic qualities, yet the scent of lavender itself is also lovely in a purely aesthetic way. When I saw "Sleepy" and "lavender" I went "Oh goodie - aromatherapy and perfume in one!" :P Strangely enough, on my skin it's not one of the notes I detect. I smell bamboo, incense, sandalwood - everything but lavender! It's really like what I WISH incense smelled like because incense always gives me a headache and Sleepy Moon cures them. That's how I know lavender is in the blend. Whether or not my nose can detect it, it's doing its magic in the background.

This is a calming, serene scent. Sometimes when I smell it I visualize the Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park in SF, the ornate pagodas rising above the fog, the cold, damp air fragrant with cherry blossoms. I hoarde this oil and use it sparingly. It has a strong throw and it's somehow almost like a TAL oil, like it should be used with respect. Perfectly lovely on my skin and also a favorite for running a dab through my hair or wearing in a scent locket.

I just got around to trying this oil. I received it in a swap recently, but I have not, in the past, been over-fond of lavender, and I know I'm not friends with sandalwood. I know I like ylang-ylang, and I think I like the lab's black opium poppy, but I'm not sure about chamomile or bamboo pulp.

When I first open the decant and then dab it on, it is overwhelmingly sharp lavender. Eventually it is softened by something else in the blend. Wow, I was expecting more from the poppy! I think I can smell the poppy peeking out, but it's really well blended, and it smells like a lovely aromatherapy shop or something. It's very pretty and soothing. I'll hang on to my imp, but I don't think I'll wear it out. Intriguing!

In the bottle: honestly, it smells like soap. I can't isolate any note, except maybe lavender if I try very hard.

On my skin: all soapy. Lavender and bamboo can be recognized but above all, it's soap.

After a couple of hours: it gets incensey and spicey. Not bad but nothing extraordinary.

Verdict: swap.

This is one of the few LEs for which I've sought out multiple bottles, which tells you something right there. :P

The night I got my first bottle, I had a raging headache, and I'd been working all day and running into problems at every turn. My partner got home from work late and wanted to go out to dinner, and although I didn't feel up to it, I grabbed my purse and dabbed a bit of Sleepy Moon on my wrists and went. On the two block walk to the restaurant, my head cleared, my fatigue lifted, and I started feeling pleasantly calm and a little sleepy. Let's just say that my wrist stayed glued to my nose for most of the rest of that evening.

It smells pretty much the same in the bottle and on my skin: clean, herbal, and green/purple. I can pick out individual notes if I try -- lavender, bamboo, chamomile, poppy -- but it all blends together into a gorgeous, calming whole.

I don't wear this much during the day, because it does tend to make me feel a bit drowsy, but it's a perfect bedtime scent.

Nice. I got it both for the Oriental tie-in, and for a sleep blend.

It's okay, but I don't like that lavender seems to be in everything that's considered a "sleep" blend. I get a bit tired of it, personally.

I'll probably swap it.

Sleepy Moon

Have had this bottle for some time..and figured tonight was as good any night to try it. Had NO idea what was in it..wanted to see how good my nose was with identifying notes.

Verdict?? My nose still has alot to work on. :P

Sort of.

Initial sniff from bottle: It's a blast of something sharp..at first I actually thought it was pine or something..but now looking at the reviews I guess what I am getting hit with is either the lavender or bamboo..and trust me..it's punching me in the face. Whoa...

Applied wet on skin: Again..my eyes watered just a bit because on me this is STRONG..I mean like my mom could smell the dab I put on my wrist down in the basement and by the time I walked upstairs into the living room where she was she commented that she noticed I had put perfume on. It was just a dab on my wrist..geez Louise this has some incredible throw..and it's raging lavender..how can lavender be raging...but there it is..it's raging. For a quick moment I thought I had been smelling jasmine because it was also a tad bit -soap like and jasmine in certain blends can do that..but no..it's the lavender I guess..

Couple of minutes on skin: Still the raging lavender..with I guess the bamboo..I am not sensing the chamomile or the floral as of yet..unless of course the "soap-like" note is from the poppy??? Hmmph..I am kind of stumped because honestly..all I am getting right now is some seriously loud lavender basically kicking ass all over my wrist. It's just really...overt. I am not feeling relaxed at all..in fact..I am hoping it will calm down so that I don't get a headache.

Thirty minutes to an hour: Still the same raging lavender..how is that possible??? None of the lunar oils I am used to in Beth's blend..nope..it's all just this soapy lavender with some other floral..wow..am I shocked.

Hour and a half later: Finally..it's morphing a bit..lavender is in the backseat..and now I get some sort of oriental floral..it's the poppy..YAY..lazy opium poppy weaving in and out..no soapy lavender in the forefront..no bamboo that I can discern and certainly the chamomile is MIA....

Funny thing is..after all of this loud lavender I did start to feel really relaxed..and this was beforeI read the reviews about what was in this blend..hahahahahahahaahahaha..how ironic is that?? I mean..up until this point I really wasn't enjoying this at all..and yet..it's doing what it should be doing..which is getting me ready to relax and fall into the arms of Morpheus..

There is still a tinge of soap on the back-end of the very hypnotic oriental floral..but it's definitely more tolerable than what this oil was in the wet phase..at least to my nose.

Drydown: Spicy floral..with a touch of lavender.

Lasting power is impressive 6+hour with throw average to strong.

Bottom Line:Sleepy Moon is definitely not my favorite of the Lunacies..that lavender was too strong and bracing on me-it's not something I feel comfortable wearing..but the fact cannot be argued; it did make me feel relaxed. I am glad as always to try Beth's lunacies..this is no exception. However..Sleepy Moon might be better suited to someone who can appreciate her therapeutic qualities better...we shall see.

Edited by metaldog32

Sleepy indeed! Lavender and chamomile in the vial. A bit of sandalwood. It has a soapy quality to it, but it's definitely scents I associate with rest.

Wet on skin: Soap. Very finely milled, high quality lavender soap. A touch of sandalwood underneath saves it from pure soapiness, and a bit of the chamomile as well. A few minutes after application, the florals peek out, ylang ylang and poppy.

Dry: A lovely restful scent. I don't get winter from this at all. The soapiness is still there, but as lavender soap is my favourite soap, it's not such a terrible thing. The chamomile is still there, very subtle. The other florals are gone.

I like this. It's not something I want a bottle of, but I'll use my imp for sure.