Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jett perilous

Sleepy Moon

Sleepy Moon:

A nearly-narcotic blend of opiate-touched bark and blossom reflective of the bleakness and solitude of winter, the quietest point of the year : black opium poppy, bamboo pulp, ylang ylang, lavender, chamomile and white sandalwood.

In the bottle: Sleepy Moon smells a bit like Rosemary to me. There also seems to be a hint of sweetness in the background. This definitely reminds me a bit of the Apothecary.

On the skin: It smells like a lovely floralish soap! Not quite the "soapy" white soap smell that some scents tend to fade to, but more like a soap made with dried purple wildflowers. The scent is somehow both very green and purple at once. Oddly amusing!

Dry: This really really turned to a pine scent on my skin. Another sort of heady scent lingers too, and I get a wiff occasionally of the initial soap smell.

Hours later: This scent totally did not take a liking to me. I was hoping it would end up a more chamomile smell; the perfect scent for falling asleep to. But it ended up going kind of chalky green herbiness on me. I still feel very strong connections to the Apothecary, which also didn't work on my chemistry.

Overall, the scent was long-lasting, and is a very nice and calming green, herb-y, outdoorsy oil.

Edited by Shollin

Sleepy Moon is the first Lunacy blend I have ever bought.

In the bottle it smells fresh and slightly sweet. I was a little nervous about this blend because I my skin tends to amp lavender, but I'm not getting any in this whiff.

On my skin it's very lush and green herbal. It has a soft undertone which I think may be the sandalwood.

Sad to say, but this reminds me of floor cleaner more than a sleepy moon.

I will try it again at bedtime, but so far I think this scent is not for me.

On me this is very bamboo pulp and ylang ylang. There's a hint of lavender in the bottle, which thankfully goes away on skin. I also think there's some opium poppy coming through, as there is a hint of some cool white floral too.

It's pretty darn potent- I think it will be easy to overapply this one. I did like it but it's not incredibly "me" smelling- I will probably end up swapping the bonus bottle I got. I think it might be a nice one to dilute into a spray bottle or something, to spray onto sheets and/or pillows, as I did find it a calming blend.

Very nice, but not a sock-knocker-off for me. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

I just noticed that my bottle that I tested (not the swap one) is way, way more full that usual. Like to the top of the rim, no air at all in the bottle. Huh. Probably about an extra fourth as much perfume, I've never seen BPAL do that before.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

straight sniff from the bottle is way lovely :D

i get all the bamboo pulp and white sandalwood.....

after only 5 minutes this amps up into the most intense ylang ylang that i

simply cannot bear :D

my stoooooooooooooopid chemistry is so unfrigginpredictable ...boohiss :P

Beautful, cool, green, and airy. I'm not usually one for lavender, but in this blend it's quite subtle. I'm smelling something herbaceous and just a touch floral. On my skin the bamboo pulp and white sandalwood are most prominent. Sleepy Moon is soft, calming, and pretty...

So I walked out of my room after applying this oil tonight.. my roomate was on the couch watching firefly.. I was getting ready for work and she stopped to ask what I was wearing.. why "Because it smells really soft and gentle, I like that alot on you."

Im wary of florals. But March is my Birthday Month, so I *had* to get the March Moon Oil.. and thankfully it doesn't get flowery on me. Though its certainly greener than the other scents I adore.. and its definately lighter than the others i wear..

Cant wait to see how this works as a room scent as well.

On my skin.. the bamboo pulp, white sandalwood, chamomile and poppy seem to hold the notes together.. and hold my nose to my wrist. :P

In the bottle: spicy and sweet at the same time. It was difficult to distinguish individual notes.

Wet: very sweet, with lots of throw. I was not expecting this to be so sweet.

Dry: at first this blend remained very sweet and cloying. After about an hour the spiciness came out and the sweetness retreated. I like this better the longer that I wear it.

This is my first moon. I loved the artwork and the description sounded really good, so I broke my "I will not collect Lunacy" rule, and bought one.

I like it. I really do. I can't tell you what the heck the notes are, or what comes out first, second and last. I just know that this smells really nice. It's bright and clean on the outset and warm on the inset. It's comforting and mellow, but it's not heavy.

It's like sleeping under a full moon in a dew covered forest with a chill in the air. Some of the buds are coming out, there are a few flowers blooming, but it's mostly green all around. And air. Nice crisp moonlit air with a warm stone or two, heated by the sun, and cooling by night. I'm in love.

I'm also very pleased that this is stronger on my skin than most and gives a decent throw. My skin eats oil like it's water. I have to re-apply towards the middle of the day, but that's fine with me. (and better than usual)

I think I may have to note whatever flavors are in this one and search for other lovelys.

This smelled to me like sitting in a garden full of wonderfully smelly herbs on a warm humid evening. Despite the description, it didn't remind me of winter at all.

I love lavender & chamomile teas, so I had fairly high hopes going in, despite the presence of sandalwood & ylang ylang, which usually aren't so great for me. In the bottle, I can sniff the chamomile & sandalwood - they seem to be blending together well. When first applied, it smells like sweet flowers (presumably ylang ylang) blended with lavender. Over time, the sweetness decreases, & I can smell more of the lavender & bamboo, with a hint of the light-appley note of chamomile.

It's very soothing & pretty, and makes my nap seem like I'm curled up in the above-mentioned garden sniffing beautiful things, warm & protected & happy. :P Definitely a keeper!

Edited by spanishviolet

I love the smell of this, but it is far too masculine for me. I get mostly bamboo and sandalwood, and even though it's not listed, I smell frankincense. I wish I could smell the lavender and chamomile more.

It smells good on the husband, so it's his now.

In the bottle, this smells like the most wonderful, clean lavender scent.

On me, this is a really captivating fragrance. It is sort of soapy, in the way that it reminds me of laundry soap at first, but it isn’t badly soapy or off-putting. This also has a very chilly sweetness to it that I'm loving. It dries down to a very sweet, pleasant lavender, but definitely more complex than just plain lavender. After about an hour, the soapiness has faded away entirely and there is more of an herbal chamomile and cool floral scent behind the sweet lavender. I might love the Sleepy Moon.

Overall, Sleepy Moon is light, sweet, cool, and clean on me. It’s unlike any other fragrance that I’ve tried, and I wasn’t expecting to like this one, but I do. It doesn’t make me feel sleepy, but this would be a great casual fragrance… one that I would wear just to make myself happy. I could also see this being a very calming scent, maybe a good one to wear when I have presentations or am feeling anxious about something. :P

ETA

Sleepy Moon has become my favorite lunar blend, and one of my favorite LEs of all time. I've really come to appreciate the cool, airy, sweet lavender. It's so calming and helps to clear my mind, while also smelling wonderfully unique and sweet. It's like a cool breeze on a summer night, only better. :D

Edited by Little Bird

Very lavendery....Sadly lavenders, despite my love and devotion, smell like a kitty litter box on my skin. This has been a source of constant amazement to me. I feel like a circus sideshow. "See the amazing girl - who can turn the smell of pretty flowers into kitty litter with only the touch...of her skin!" I bought this, even knowing it had lavender, out of my misguided hope that maybe someday it will smell pretty on me. :P

I just got this in the mail today from another forum member because I missed out on it first hand and I'm in love! In the bottle it is a light scent, but then on my skin it has some major throw! It starts off all sweet and lighly herbal and then transforms into a sort of sweet and spicy opium smell. ABSOLUTELY EFFIN' BEAUTIFUL! I'm on the search for another bottle!

Edited by eclecticaura

Wow, in the bottle I get a lot of the bamboo pulp and a touch of lavender. It's a very soothing, calm scent without being overpowered with lavender. The bamboo and other notes give this scent a different quality to it, and it's very appealing. I actually get a light green/orange color to this scent.

After applying it gets really strong. I guess what I mean by that is that it has a lot of throw. I only need to apply a very, very small amount this time. It's almost overpowering. It's heady. This is where what I believe is the opium poppy comes through, and it's lovely. It's very fitting to be called Sleepy Moon because of this. The opium poppy gives it this heady cloud of dreams and swirls without it being the commonly used lavender-chamomile blend. It's lovely!

I rate this 3 out of 5 stars. I'll keep my bottle, but I might decant an imp or two for sharing.

Ahhh, this is the lovely sleeping blend I've been waiting for. At first sniff I can definitely detect the lavendar, opium, and bamboo. It's a sharper floral, but with an amazingly complex base; both herbal green and soapy/incensey at the same time. It's a dark scent, alluring and soothing at the same time. Absolutely lovely, one of those scents I want to keep sniffing. I will definitely be wearing this one to bed most nights. :P

In Bottle: Chamomile and bamboo

On Skin: Very fresh, this is nice and uplifting. The last several Lunacies have been that way for me, quite bright and crisp. The bamboo seems strongest at first, freshly cut, nice and green and super fragrant with a tad bit of clean ozone to it. The clean ozone may be the white sandalwood? The poppy, lavender and ylang ylang are soft flroals, not competing with the bamboo too much… more of a compliment actually. As the scent progresses and dries down, the bamboo isn’t as bright and I get the “sleepy” feel… The lavender and chamomile also blend together nice and provide that comforting winding down note. This is a beautiful unique Lunacy, not one I’d wear every day, but I will be keeping my bottle by my bed to help me and relax me when I sleep. It has quite a strong throw, so instead of wearing it, I may make a sachet and scent it with Sleepy Moon to keep by my bed.

This is my first lunar oil, as I am currently infatuated with everything poppy-scented, heh. I don't think I'll shirk them again, as I have fallen deeply in love with Sleepy Moon.

In the bottle: A lovely green floral, but not too clean and bright. More along the lines of a crocus poking its head out from the sleeping earth to herald the coming of spring.

On (wet): I'm getting a lot of poppy here (my skin loves it and I adore my chemistry for once) and it's lovely. The lavender is peeking out and the soft sweetness of chamomile is also apparant, but still subtle in this phase.

On (dry): Oh my gosh, this is lovely. The lavender and the chamomile come forward to soften the poppy and make this an absolutely lovely herbally floral scent. I am in love, I tell you.

Overall: I've already purchased another bottle from the lj community, that is how much I love this scent. It's going to be my springtime scent. It's fresh without being overly "clean".

Immediate response: This is sooooooooo good.

Even if you think you don't like florals or don't like ylang ylang or don't like poppy or don't like sandalwood, or can't stand lavender, I still think this has got a little something in it for everyone.

At first it strikes me as cold and fresh -- cold like a splash of water, or cold like cold grass in the spring.

It smells like someone is in the next room having the most wonderful bath ever. A fresh soapy smell (good soap! something by Lush or someplace like that!), plus foaming lavender bubbles or a bath bomb, and sandalwood soap, with a fresh green garden herbal scent wafting in...maybe that's the shampoo.

This is so comforting. I hope there's a bath bomb that smells like this somewhere. But it's OK if there isn't because I can slather this on after an evening bath and wear it to bed. I can't imagine wearing it during the day though -- it would be like going out in your pyjamas...it might feel wonderful, warm and comfy but you know that it's just meant for nighttime wear.

I don't care for ylang ylang and I'm a little afraid of poppy...but I don't smell them specifically and everything works together perfectly in this blend. Lavender and chamomile are like calm, comforting herbal tea and give this a very refreshing, clean feeling without screaming "soap!" The bamboo gives it that almost impossibly green grassy high note. I'm not sure where the ylang ylang and poppy figure in but they must be helping this to amp up and waft around in the air. And then there's the wonderful pale soft sandalwood, anchoring it all down and keeping it alive throughout the night.

I love my Sleepy Moon as much as I love the t-shirt that goes with it! :P There are only a very few Lunacy scents that have wound up staying in my permanent collection but this is definitely one of them.

In the bottle, this smelled like something you'd want to smell when you have a headache. The lavender takes the upper hand here, but it's softened by the chamomile and poppy, so you don't get that sharp lavender smell quite so much.

On my skin, the lavender fades off first, leaving the other scents to blend around with each other... They seem to get along really well together, as I can't pick a single one out of the mix as the "predominant" note.

I'm very happy with this blend, especially since I was scared of the poppy... but it turned out to be a very gentle, lovely scent, great for relaxing.

As a bonus, I wore it over to the boyfriend's house, and when he gave me a hug, he couldn't stop gushing about how wonderful I smelled!

Sleepy Moon! :P

First Impression: Exotic, herbal and soothing at the same time. I definitely detect lavender.

Dries down to: It stays very light and airy.

Additional Comments: Although I'm familiar with some of the others, the lavender is the only note I can actually pick out, and only at first. This is another very well-balanced blend. I was afraid it would turn soapy but there's not a hint of suds here. I find it to be calming but not boring - it gives me the same feeling that I get from looking at a beautiful view. I'll enjoy every drop of this one.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

In the bottle this is light, soft lavender. Sometimes lavender scents can be bitter and harsh, but this definitely isn't. It reminds me very much of a childhood friend of mine's garden that was filled with lavender and heather that her mother used in tons of recipes (blueberry and lavender jam. . .mmm. . ).

Once on, the fresh, bright notes of the bamboo, chamomile, and sandalwood come to the forefront, and are SO very pretty. All too quickly, however, the opium and ylang ylang make their presence known, merging with the lavender to create something off-puttingly floral (I'm not a floral fan as they tend to give me headaches).

On the drydown, this is creamy florals. All the fresh bamboo is lost, and you're left with a permeating sweetness and a trace of spice.

This is definitely a nice blend, and exceptionally well mixed. I can see it helping people sleep, but mainly I see it as a relaxation blend; something you put on when you need to unwind, but not necessarily sleep yet. This is a scent that reminds me of sleepy, blissed out evenings in the summer where the air is warm and you can smell fresh flowers on the breeze. If it wasn't quite so floral, this would be a big favourite.

It has impressive throw, and lasts for a number of hours.

Overall, despite not working for me personally, I rate this very highly. :P

Calming, refined floral with herbal undertones. Reflective, relaxing quality.

Somewhat introspective.

IMO, not overly complex but masterful in its simplicity. Otherwise assertive notes harmonize well in a quiet sort of nocturne.

This works very well with my chemistry and is very soothing. Instinctively I put this on today (monthly cycle). Perfect choice! Could also imagine wearing this after a good soak.

Must make a note for tomorrow to bring some forsythia branches into the house and begin forcing their flowers for early Spring blossoms!

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

This is exactly the calm, relaxing and sleep-inducing floral blend that I wanted it to be. None of the notes seem to jump out at me (apart from the lavender, perhaps), but that's a good thing. I slept like a baby last night and feel better for it. Wouldn't wear it as a perfume during the day lest I fall asleep at work!

This was my very first full moon update. The lable is beautiful. I just sat there and looked at it for about five minutes. Then I opened it. It smells to me of lavander. I admit I am not a huge fan of the scent.

But It is a nice blend, When I put it on..i got a herbal lavandar scent. Very nice. The throw for me is excellent and the staying power is 10 for 10. If you like lavandar I think this would be a great buy for you. But I don't even like to use it in my oil burner.

In the bottle sleepy moon smelled to me like a fresh spring garden of florals but wet on my skin all I get it the Ylang-ylang and an instant headache. This does not bode well...

About 5 mintutes in, the ylang ylang is still hanging in there full force but at least I am getting a hint of other notes now. I can catch some of the soft sandalwoodl, a bit of bamboo pulp and a whiff of lavender. Still the headache with a bit of nausea.

15 minutes - Headache and nausea amping, ylan-ylang still the primary note, but the sandalwood and lavender are pretty prominent too.

My conclusion - this is headache and nausea inducing -not sleep inducing but then again anything with an overpowering ylang ylang note usually does that to me.

Sleepy Moon has a great throw and lasts a long time! (unforutnately for me) so if these notes work for you, you will love it!