Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Is the patchouli very strong? The "gnarly patchouli" has always made me steer clear of Goblin.

Though, as a GC it's going to go on my try list.

I think it's balanced between the notes. Although with my skin chemistry I can end up with a sweet benzoin coconut and a hint of patch. (That said I like most BPAL patchoulis, so long as it's not the dominating note)

Awesome! I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks!

It's the one that I put off trying for 2 years (exploring BPAL) and then finally got a imp to try and realized I was incredibly stupid for not trying it sooner. Hands down it's my DH's favorite scent on me because he thinks it's dead sexy.

Is the patchouli very strong? The "gnarly patchouli" has always made me steer clear of Goblin.

Though, as a GC it's going to go on my try list.

I think it's balanced between the notes. Although with my skin chemistry I can end up with a sweet benzoin coconut and a hint of patch. (That said I like most BPAL patchoulis, so long as it's not the dominating note)

Awesome! I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks!

It's the one that I put off trying for 2 years (exploring BPAL) and then finally got a imp to try and realized I was incredibly stupid for not trying it sooner. Hands down it's my DH's favorite scent on me because he thinks it's dead sexy.

Skin chemistry is such a cool thing - on me, even though I usually amp benzoin, Goblin is 100% gnarly patch, you can't even pick out the other notes they just lend a sort of sweet creaminess.

I love both Body, Remember and Tiki King. I don't find them to be very similar to each other, but now that I think about it, you can pick out that it's black coconut - which to me is a warmer, dryer coconut. Death Adder has black coconut in it, and now that the Snake Pit is back, it wouldn't be hard to get your hands on maybe that's worth a shot. You could also try Death Cap, the notes aren't listed, but whatever coconut note is in it is very warm and dry to me. Could be black coconut.

Skin chemistry is such a cool thing - on me, even though I usually amp benzoin, Goblin is 100% gnarly patch, you can't even pick out the other notes they just lend a sort of sweet creaminess.

I love both Body, Remember and Tiki King. I don't find them to be very similar to each other, but now that I think about it, you can pick out that it's black coconut - which to me is a warmer, dryer coconut. Death Adder has black coconut in it, and now that the Snake Pit is back, it wouldn't be hard to get your hands on maybe that's worth a shot. You could also try Death Cap, the notes aren't listed, but whatever coconut note is in it is very warm and dry to me. Could be black coconut.

Yeah, I would agree that Body Remember and Tiki King don't smell alike, but they do share that black coconut note. I've ordered a decant of Death Adder. Death Cap was all soil and dirt on me.

I love, love, looooove Black Pearl, it's my ideal coconut. I need to hunt down some So Below because it sounds like it'd be right up my alley too. :wub3:

If it's been mentioned, sorry!

I really like Eden. She's got that nice sweet fig smell, and then that toasty coconut smell. It's not like "tropical coconut" but I enjoy the warm toasty coconut that Eden has.

Giljagaur is probably my favorite overall coconut blend, but Lovers and a Fan is a close runner up - and it's just about time to retrieve it from the back of my scent cabinet now that it's summer again.

just adding gingerbread goblin to the thread. I like it better than gb-less goblin. hinting at but not full on foodie. warm, complex, rich and sublime.

The prominent coconut blends I've tried in order of favorites: Giljagaur, Death Adder, Snake Charmer, Snow White, Obatala, Black Pearl, Brown Jenkin.

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds is also lovely but coconut doesn't stand out. MPF 13 from the trading post is great, but patchouli heavy.

I don't think I've tried Goblin but I'm sure I'd love it.

The prominent coconut blends I've tried in order of favorites: Giljagaur, Death Adder, Snake Charmer, Snow White, Obatala, Black Pearl, Brown Jenkin.

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds is also lovely but coconut doesn't stand out. MPF 13 from the trading post is great, but patchouli heavy.

I don't think I've tried Goblin but I'm sure I'd love it.

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds is all rose/crystalline musk on me, and I don't get coconut from Brown Jenkins or Death Adder at all. Giljagaur and Obatala are amazing, though. Creamy/warm foodie winter coconut and clean summer beachy coconut. Between those and Black Pearl and Hidden Pearls' light, orris-y coconut for spring, I just need to find a good fall coconut and I'll have all the seasons covered.

I also want to add So Below to my growing list of all-things-coconut. I never would have thought the coconut in it would stand up to those other notes, but it does, and it's amazing. It has a similar feel to The Raptures and Roses of Vice on me, actually.

Agree w Lizzie.... The black coconut note is best exemplified in body remember and so below ... At least for me.

As for a yummy coconut, Ivory vulva is perfection. She's been more available recently on forum. I amp a similar coconut note in captain Lilith and her first mate, and surisingly also in trading posts key lime cream pie.

I'm not normally a huge fan of the watery coconut of obatala gc, yet it seems to be a favorite.

There are so many pretty coconuts... Integrated w florals and other notes which you are not seeking. Lastly, I know erode love Snow White for her coconut w the chill. I get zero coconut w her. Just amp the others like no ones biz. Sooo.... Here is a piggy back question. Can anyone suggest your MOST coconutty~ish year of SW?

Now that we're entering summer, I've cracked open Reflected Vulva, the only spring/summer coconut scent I still own (I got rid of the rest as I'm really picky with what I keep). Coconut isn't even listed in the description, so it must have been some ninja stealth note, but it's the nicest, creamy pink coconut scent, especially with the sweet pea and cherry blossom being equally at the forefront.

My other favorite summery coconut scents have been Body, Remember and Tiki Princess.

I'm looking for a smoky, rich coconut, maybe with a touch of amber and/or floral. If you met me in the flesh, you'd think I was the last person on earth who you'd expect to wear coconut well, and it was a real surprise for me. But I accidentally learned a few years back (in Bath & Body Works, of all places) that my skin chemistry and coconut just love each other, as long as the blend isn't too tropical or (non-coconut) fruity, and I've been on the hunt for the perfect blend ever since. I see a lot of coconut-containing BPAL blends about which reviewers complain that the coconut is either very subtle or absent, and I'm not sure where to turn. Help!

Edited by Reina Blood

23 minutes ago, Reina Blood said:

I'm looking for a smoky, rich coconut, maybe with a touch of amber and/or floral. If you met me in the flesh, you'd think I was the last person on earth who you'd expect to wear coconut well, and it was a real surprise for me. But I accidentally learned a few years back (in Bath & Body Works, of all places) that my skin chemistry and coconut just love each other, as long as the blend isn't too tropical or (non-coconut) fruity, and I've been on the hunt for the perfect blend ever since. I'm getting a little overwhelmed by reading reviews; I see a lot of coconut-containing blends about which reviewers complain that the coconut is either very subtle or absent. Help!

The GC blends that come to mind are Elegba and Goblin and Black Pearl, all lovely, depending how the other notes play with your skin. 

I also thought of some LE scents~ So Below, The Pleasure of Aristocratic Women, and Body, Remember, if you can find them for sale on the forum.

There were also at least three coconut  duets/trios released this year (right?), and you might be able to find some of those on the forum. 

Editing to add Death Adder to the list. It sounds such a yummy sexy coconut, I’m wanting it now... :P 

Edited by artisjok

LE: Depending on how your body handles the notes, Coconut, Smoked Vanilla, and Fig might work - I don't find the vanilla to be particularly smoky, but I amp sweetness.  I also like Coconut and Cardamom, it's a little spicy and a lot of coconut.

GC: Black Pearl is a nutty coconut for me.  Goblin is a dirtier patchouli coconut. 

1 hour ago, Reina Blood said:

I'm looking for a smoky, rich coconut, maybe with a touch of amber and/or floral. If you met me in the flesh, you'd think I was the last person on earth who you'd expect to wear coconut well, and it was a real surprise for me. But I accidentally learned a few years back (in Bath & Body Works, of all places) that my skin chemistry and coconut just love each other, as long as the blend isn't too tropical or (non-coconut) fruity, and I've been on the hunt for the perfect blend ever since. I see a lot of coconut-containing BPAL blends about which reviewers complain that the coconut is either very subtle or absent, and I'm not sure where to turn. Help!

Blood Pearl!

On 10/13/2020 at 2:38 PM, Reina Blood said:

I really love Goblin, and I would highly recommend if you like patchouli.  I was also kind of amazed by my well aged decant of Elegba recently.  Originally, it was a nice coconut rum mixed drink smell and I liked it, but I was happy with the imp.  It's become much richer with aging, going from Malibu, to a rich, dark, almost buttery coconut rum.  It's very sweet, but the tobacco gives it a nice chewiness, and it's gone on my big bottle list..  If you want a dark coconut that's less obviously foody and/or boozy, you might try Brown Jenkins.  

ETA - You might also like Red Lantern (caramelly coconut) and Death Adder.  (I'm focusing more on your "rich" and "smoky" descriptors than your "amber" or "florals."  You might also check out Lamia.  It didn't work for me, but it's got your amber, your florals, and I wouldn't call it tropical.  :) 

Edited by VetchVesper