Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

I absolutely adore Harigata II. On me it ends up smelling like coconut biscochitos. Warm sweet anise cookies with a hint of coconut. But I really stopped in here to add my experiences with Spooky. Every time I wear it someone tells me how great it smells...just like coconut or suntan lotion. One of my coworkers even told me I smelled like summer. Which I find very strange, because to me it smells like sexy Thin Mints. So if you're looking for that beachy coconut smell, try Spooky.

... I am intrigued by what everyone said about The Star, but I couldn't find it. I guess this was a limited one that I missed, since I only just found this place a couple weeks ago? Much sadness if so...

Yes, The Star was part of the GC Tarot series that was discontinued quite a while ago (2007?). I had a chance to try a decant, and it was nice, but I didn't fall in love the way other people did. (And I'm a coconut lover, of all types!) Still, if you have expendable income, I just saw a bottle posted on eBay (2 days left)... so there's some still around, if you go looking for it.

Heh, guess I missed it by quite a lot! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely keep an eye out now.

Still putting together my list, there's just soo many to choose from, I could easily spend a whole weeks pay at once. O_o

Okay, I haven't been around for like, two years so I've missed a lot.

What's Dia and where can I find it?? I've literally looked everywhere.

Can I still get Harigata II?? I can put it in my cart but it was offered so long ago...

What about Tiki Princess - and what happened to the Atomic Lounge section?? I can't get in there. I thought they were GCs. Were they DC'd?

Where can I find Paduan Killer Swarm and Roses Pearls Diamonds?? I've never heard of either.

HELP!

I never ever thought I'd be so lost here. And with coconut blends, no less!

(To put my 2cents in... I love The Star. It's my fave coconut blend. I have a 10mL of it. However, it's SO limey that I can't wear it too much or get really sick of it. I need something more chillax and smooth... like suntan lotion but... not.)

Edited by Spacekitty

Okay, I haven't been around for like, two years so I've missed a lot.

What's Dia and where can I find it?? I've literally looked everywhere.

Can I still get Harigata II?? I can put it in my cart but it was offered so long ago...

What about Tiki Princess - and what happened to the Atomic Lounge section?? I can't get in there. I thought they were GCs. Were they DC'd?

Where can I find Paduan Killer Swarm and Roses Pearls Diamonds?? I've never heard of either.

HELP!

I never ever thought I'd be so lost here. And with coconut blends, no less!

(To put my 2cents in... I love The Star. It's my fave coconut blend. I have a 10mL of it. However, it's SO limey that I can't wear it too much or get really sick of it. I need something more chillax and smooth... like suntan lotion but... not.)

1. Dia was part of the 2009 "Ode to Aphrodite" Luper LEs. Reviews here. Sadly, it doesn't seem to show up in swaps or sales very much (I've been looking for it, myself).

2. Re: Harigata: Technically, those LEs have come down, last I checked... not sure how they handle it if you can still put it into your cart. However, I've found a couple of older BPAL LE pages still up, for example the Black Helicopter LE series - I can put the bottles into the CCNow cart, but I sincerely doubt I'd be able to buy them since the series was ended a year ago. So, if I had to wager a guess, I'd assume that you won't be able to get Harigata from the lab anymore.

3. Tiki Princess ran until 8/26 of last year from what I can tell, so I doubt it's still available, I'm afraid. As for the Atomic Luaus, they have recently been DC'd.

4. Paduan Killer Swarm was an LE which also ended on 8/26/10, but I believe I've seen it in a few sales posts in the subforum below. Roses, Pearls and Diamonds is a GC scent of the Marchen category

As for coconut, in case I haven't mentioned this in this thread yet, my favorite is "Goblin" - I never knew coconut and patchouli went so well together! :wub2:

Would someone mind helping me find a killer coconut/vanilla blend? I got a partial of Velvet Tiki and the wet stage was staggeringly good. It was almost purely delicate coconut and vanilla cream. So soft and warm. I was very frustrated when ten minutes later, the fruit came out more and made it perky/way too playful than the dainty beauty it was earlier. Is there a rec for something like this? I've looked at some of the other coconut/vanilla blends in this thread, but they seem to be on the musky/dark side of things, and I was hoping for something lighter. Black Opal, maybe?

Would someone mind helping me find a killer coconut/vanilla blend? I got a partial of Velvet Tiki and the wet stage was staggeringly good. It was almost purely delicate coconut and vanilla cream. So soft and warm. I was very frustrated when ten minutes later, the fruit came out more and made it perky/way too playful than the dainty beauty it was earlier. Is there a rec for something like this? I've looked at some of the other coconut/vanilla blends in this thread, but they seem to be on the musky/dark side of things, and I was hoping for something lighter. Black Opal, maybe?

I don't suppose you like rum scents, do you? I really love the vanilla and coconut in Upa Upa, which also has pineapple and spiced rum. If you're at all interested in tropicals, that's one of my favorites from the Atomic Luau Lounge.

ETA: Lol, cannot believe I didn't suggest this... but Tattered Lace is all vanilla and coconut on me and it's very light and creamy. And probably much better suited to your tastes.

Edited by kirsten

I'm still looking for The Star, gah! I want that one so bad, I feel like it would be perfect for me!

What about Velvet Tiki and Upa Upa? Are they still available? I'm keeping a list for my next order.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure these would have all been mentioned already in this thread - but for pure coconut/vanilla I don't think you'll get better than Tiki Princess.. it was a forum-only blend, so you'll need to go hunting for it but it shouldn't be too hard to find a decant to try.

And from the GC.. have you tried Obatala? The description is 'Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.' so there's nothing musky/dark or heavy in there at all - it's a lovely soft, slightly milky/creamy coconut with a beautiful clean, cool feel so it's not overly sweet or suntan lotion-ish at all. You can check through the reviews here but I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Oh, and personally - Black Opal doesn't really hit me as a coconut blend (although there is a coconut-ish smell to it), but it is a lovely clean/soft vanilla. Another one worth considering is Black Pearl - the notes are 'Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk' - so this one has a musk but not a dark one, a floral feel from the iris, and a bit of interest via the hazelnut (which on me isn't like NUTS at all, it's soft and nice).. reviews are here.. it may be worth a try :smile:

I'm still looking for The Star, gah! I want that one so bad, I feel like it would be perfect for me!

What about Velvet Tiki and Upa Upa? Are they still available? I'm keeping a list for my next order.

Velvet Tiki and Upa Upa are both unavailable LEs. I've seen them both around the forum, though. They're definitely not as elusive as The Star!

I don't suppose you like rum scents, do you? I really love the vanilla and coconut in Upa Upa, which also has pineapple and spiced rum. If you're at all interested in tropicals, that's one of my favorites from the Atomic Luau Lounge.

ETA: Lol, cannot believe I didn't suggest this... but Tattered Lace is all vanilla and coconut on me and it's very light and creamy. And probably much better suited to your tastes.

I don't mind rum, but at the same time I've noticed I don't end up reaching for scents that have it very often. But more so I'd be worried about the pineapple in Upa Upa - I really enjoy fruit, but find that in a lot of the tropicals they take over for me (which is what happened with Velvet Tiki). Tattered Lace sounds like it may be worth a shot though, thanks!

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure these would have all been mentioned already in this thread - but for pure coconut/vanilla I don't think you'll get better than Tiki Princess.. it was a forum-only blend, so you'll need to go hunting for it but it shouldn't be too hard to find a decant to try.

And from the GC.. have you tried Obatala? The description is 'Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.' so there's nothing musky/dark or heavy in there at all - it's a lovely soft, slightly milky/creamy coconut with a beautiful clean, cool feel so it's not overly sweet or suntan lotion-ish at all. You can check through the reviews here but I'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Oh, and personally - Black Opal doesn't really hit me as a coconut blend (although there is a coconut-ish smell to it), but it is a lovely clean/soft vanilla. Another one worth considering is Black Pearl - the notes are 'Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk' - so this one has a musk but not a dark one, a floral feel from the iris, and a bit of interest via the hazelnut (which on me isn't like NUTS at all, it's soft and nice).. reviews are here.. it may be worth a try :smile:

Tiki Princess, from the reviews, sounds a bit too candy-ish, cool, and piña colada for me - that and it doesn't have vanilla according to the note list. I have tried Obatala but sadly all I got was a fake plastic/crayon coconut. And Black Pearl, oh yes. :P It was one of the first imps I ever ordered and remains my favorite BPAL to this day years later (though some have been giving it a bit of competition lately). BP is indeed dark and sultry to me, however. Maybe it's just my skin chemistry but the hazelnut amps as amaretto with the coconut and florals playing around in the background - always has reminded me of a sexy female pirate captain. But it doesn't have vanilla either, and it's more intense than what I'm after.

It's interesting to me that Black Opal is a soft vanilla though - maybe I could figure out a decent layering combo. Appreciate the recs!

*edit* Hey ladies, so I just realized Tiki Queen sounds almost exactly like what I want - vanilla and coconut with some pale florals in the background (not sure what the neroli would do, but hopefully it would be low key). Essentially Velvet Tiki without the fruit. I know that one happens to be quite popular in addition to being dc'ed though, so we'll see if I can get lucky!

Edited by Balame

<snipped>

*edit* Hey ladies, so I just realized Tiki Queen sounds almost exactly like what I want - vanilla and coconut with some pale florals in the background (not sure what the neroli would do, but hopefully it would be low key). Essentially Velvet Tiki without the fruit. I know that one happens to be quite popular in addition to being dc'ed though, so we'll see if I can get lucky!

Tiki Queen was my holy grail tropical coconut scent. It wasn't easy for me to find but definitely post an ISO--It's lovely.

Tiki Queen was my holy grail tropical coconut scent. It wasn't easy for me to find but definitely post an ISO--It's lovely.

I managed to hunt down a bottle... what a disappointment. Tiki Queen isn't bad, but it's not great and doesn't even have a hint of coconut (or vanilla, for that matter) on me. Normally I'd say it's my skin chemistry but I don't even smell those notes from the bottle. It's just a lightly sweet, almost candy-like floral. It's very much the tuberose, ylang ylang, and white musk. Has a "cool" feeling to it.

Sad. Why have you spoiled me so Velvet Tiki? And why couldn't you just stay in your wet stage forever?

I know you said you don't mind rum scents, so maybe check out Elegba as to me it is strongly coconut vanilla-ish (even though vanilla isn't listed). It is absolutely delish!

Can somebody please recommend me a coconutty blend that's more on the dark/musty side? As opposed to fruity/floral/vanilla scents, which I'm really not a fan of. Maybe with some patchouli thrown in... mmmm patchouli. Will be definitely getting an imp of Black Pearl, anything else I should try? Thanks.

Edited by Almond Blossom

Can somebody please recommend me a coconutty blend that's more on the dark/musty side? As opposed to fruity/floral/vanilla scents, which I'm really not a fan of. Maybe with some patchouli thrown in... mmmm patchouli. Will be definitely getting an imp of Black Pearl, anything else I should try? Thanks.

Goblin. Patch + Coconut and benzoin I think? It's delicious.

ETA...also, if you can find a decant of Death Adder. It's from the Carnaval Diabolique line which is on hiatus while the Lab makes new labels, but it's "Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax." also divine.

Edited by mxtine

Coconut with patchouli? Try Goblin.

Up up! I am a coconut whore and need more. :3 Preferrably without food in it. Non-foody coconut blends.

Two of my faves are The Raptures and Roses of Vice and Goblin. Runners up include Carnaval Diabolique (not coconutty enough!) and Death Adder (not really a vetiver fan).

Yum yum! :heart:

My hands down coconut favorite is Black Pearl. Raptures is a close second, they feel very similar to me, except that Black Pearl has no rose to interfere in striaghtup coconut bliss. Also, GC is cool.

My fave coconut scents so far: Roses, Diamonds and Pearls, Brown Jenkin, and Snow White.

Re-testing Blood Pearl today, and on me it's definitely awesome and non-foody. Black Pearl was in my first imp pack ever back in 2009, but it was a bit too sunnybeachy for me or something. I'm finding Blood Pearl to be kind of light and interesting and just the right amount of feminine....

Rigorous Love is great for summer, with the brightness of the lemongrass and mimosa. My mom always gets pina coladas out of it. It also lacks the sort of "lotiony" effect I sometimes get out of Snow White.