Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Goblin and Brown jenkin are my favorite coconut blends, i love them because they are *not* the beachy fresh coconut blends i am used to smelling

I've been one of those "coconut-haters" for years now...

Almost all coconut scents make me literally gag, (Lush's Coolaulin and Trichomania are good examples of that hate, I just loathe the scent of them)...

Recently, my mum bought me some coconut oil, it's pure coconut oil, and it's smells heavenly... not like dried coconut shavings, but... very soft, slightly sweet (but the sweetness is so soft that you can hardly smell it), very fresh...

So I was hoping to find this sort of scent in the GC catalogue.. so far, Obatala seems a kinda nice choice, but maybe someone can help me and point me in the right direction... I'm not looking for a sweet scent, nor a boozy scent... Something soothing and fresh...

My favourite coconut I've tried so far is Obatala. I plan to give Eden a go as well. Tiki Princess just turned to this weird, extremely artifician kinda-coconut soap smell on me. :/

I think my favorite coconut is Lamia. Smoky, dark coconut. :wub2: I usually hate vetiver, but it's definitely a different vetiver than normal in Lamia.

Roses, Pearls and Diamonds is a wonderful coconut with a bit of rose and pretty musk. Omg, so freaking nice. One of my favs. I really wanna give a try to Black Pearl too. I know someone mentioned that Black Opal had a coconut smell to it but it was more vanilla to me.

Coconut isn't a great note on me if the overall feel of the blend is tropical, but when Beth's combined it with unexpected notes it really works well for me and I love the effect. I agree, Roses, Pearls & Diamonds is gorgeous! If you love White Rose (the LE Trading Post blend) RP&D is a great alternative in the general catalog. And if you love RP&D and happen to have a chance to snag a bottle of White Rose in swaps, go for it, chances are you will love it.

Most of my favorite coconut blends are LEs. Paduan Killer Swarm - another blend where coconut is combined with unexpected notes (it's tonka, black licorice, amber, golden sandalwood, ginger cream, bitter clove, stinging nettle, cinnamon bark, and coconut shell). And Paper Kite Butterfly is unique among BPAL blends IMO, peppery and coconutty.

Obatala is still my favorite, so supersoft, even though Paper Kite is also wonderfull :wub:

I wear them both in summer and everybody seems to adore them!

I love Goblin. The black coconut and patchouli are divine. I like Obatala for a beachy coconut but I have to mix it with Pele for that ultimate tropical smell. I thought Tiki Princess was IT but now it smells very soapy.

Harigata II has totally skyrocketed to the top of my list for favorite coconut blend! it's STUNNING. :wub2:

Obatala and Tiki Princess are the ultimate coconut blends for me! I'm going to have to try mixing Obatala with Pele as mentioned above because that sounds like it would be amazing!

Nymphia (2010 Lupercalia) has a mild coconut note that really amps in the dry down - very cool feeling.

Hmm, I been reading through this trying to figure out what it is that I want... I'm looking for something sweet and beachy, something that screams tropical! I just got my first batch of imps not too long ago and got Obatala, Elegba, and Pahoehoe. They are all very nice, but not -quite- what I'm looking for.

I like Elegba for a sort of darker scent... I just got told I smell pirate-y, so I guess that's good! It doesn't quite have the coconuttiness that I want though.

Pahoehoe is nice and tropical-y, but again, the coconut just isn't as strong as I'd really like. Though it does make me want to lick my arm, haha!

Obatala was really nice though.

But I am still convinced that there must be something that I missed! My next batch of imps I plan on trying Eden, Shango and maybe Black Pearl? I am intrigued by what everyone said about The Star, but I couldn't find it. I guess this was a limited one that I missed, since I only just found this place a couple weeks ago? Much sadness if so...

It looks like everyone tries to avoid coconut blends that smell like suntan oil - but what if that's exactly what I want? That is the scent of summer to me, and as I will likely not come even close to a beach this summer, I'd like to live vicariously through my perfume! So, what would you recommend?

Here's what I've tried already:

Elegba: Gorgeously close to Banana Boat oil! My imp will be used up in no time and I'll likely get a bottle with my next order.

Obatala: Sour milk. I don't recall much of a coconut smell at all.

Goblin: Mainly patchouli. Again, no coconut to my nose.

Black Pearl: It's been years since I tried it, but I think the hazlenut was prominent. I should have an imp in my possession next week though.

Shoggoth!!! Its like sparkling coconut water- very fresh, light and slightly sweet. Its not the overwhelming coconut of Tiki Princess (which reminds me of a Plug-In after I put it on. SO crushed over that!). Its probably one of my favorite scents.

Of course Eden and Black Pearl are also amazing, but they're a little heavier than Shoggoth.

Obatala is a nice, soothing coconut blend that works well layered over sunscreen :lol: it hides the nastiness! Although the shiseido milk stuff I use actually isn't too bad smell-wise and has a wonderful texture.

Courtesan Jigokudayu is lovely<3 equal parts coconut, Asian pear and tiare on my skin!

Does anybody else think there's an enormous difference between coconut and black coconut? I love the latter to pieces (Red Lantern, Death Adder, Antonio the Carny Talker... YUM), but am picky about the former and tend to amp it to the point where it's no longer enjoyable. The only "regular" coconut scents I've liked are Black Pearl, Beanman & Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina and White Rose. The first two were probably just luck and I actually can't smell any coconut in White Rose.

Obatala was just awful, that boiled milk note blech.

Goblin is a great earthy coconutty blend it reminds me a lot of how Lush' Jungle conditioner makes my hair smell.

Tiki Princess was meh. The citrus and coconut blended together made me think of toilet cleaner. Sold it.

Elegba, I didn't get any coconut from this.

Courtesan Jigokudayu is great if you like sweet blends.

Paper Kite was great at first but after a while the pepper in it overwhelmed the blend and I ended up swapping it away.

Tiki King is my favorite coconut blend right now. It isn't cloying or in your face but just right.

Does anybody else think there's an enormous difference between coconut and black coconut?

YES!! There is a huge difference, for sure. In general, I like most of the various styles of coconut that BPAL has given us.. but the black coconut is by far my favourite because it has that beautiful dark tone without the sweetness/suntan-lotion-ness of regular coconut.

Death Adder has a magnificent black coconut note, as does Tiki King and Goblin. And I think the black coconut is the best thing about Boneshaking Antique Velocipede. Sadly, the caramel in Red Lantern hated me, but the black coconut in that one is lovely. Oh - and Snake Charmer, another one with lovely black coconut!

Aldercy.. I've never tried Antonino, but I'm going to go hunt some down now :thumbsup:

I have a love/hate relationship with coconut so I like it blended with other things. I just tested Harigata II and bought Beanman and Beanwoman unsniffed and both these have a lovely but not intrusive coconut note on my skin. Lovely for summer. :D

... I am intrigued by what everyone said about The Star, but I couldn't find it. I guess this was a limited one that I missed, since I only just found this place a couple weeks ago? Much sadness if so...

Yes, The Star was part of the GC Tarot series that was discontinued quite a while ago (2007?). I had a chance to try a decant, and it was nice, but I didn't fall in love the way other people did. (And I'm a coconut lover, of all types!) Still, if you have expendable income, I just saw a bottle posted on eBay (2 days left)... so there's some still around, if you go looking for it.

How can people not be raving about Harikata II in this thread? Sexy, sex-ay coconut!

ETA: I meant HARIGATA II. My bad!

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

How can people not be raving about Harikata II in this thread? Sexy, sex-ay coconut!

GRR.. did you mean Harigata II (I don't remember Harikata having coconut)?? If so, then yes - Harigata II is definitely a sexygood coconut! I love the way the coconut blends with the anise, it's just sublime.

Haley actually mentioned it up-thread, but a few more raves about its loveliness would definitely be appropriate :D