Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Just tried Black Pearl, and it is VERY coconutty on me! I love this one! It smells a little bit like tanning lotions at first (which I don't mind) but dris down beautifully!

Coconut is my absolute favorite note. :wub2:

Some of my favorite coconut blends are:

Ashlultum: Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac. The coconut in this isn't very strong on me, but it is there just enough to balance out the other notes. It's very pretty.

Death Adder: Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax. This is definitely a darker coconut scent. IMO it's in the same family as Tiki King.

Elegba: coconut, tobacco and sweet, sugared rum Love love love this! Very sexy and a great summer scent without being fruity.

Goblin: Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin This is another love of mine. it's not as dark smelling as it sounds, though it is a very earthy coconut smell.

Grog: Ok, so this doesn't list any notes, but I swear it has some coconut in it. This smells very festive to me and a a great year round scent.

Mlle Lilith, the Fortune Teller (mentioned in an above post): More pomegranate than coconut on me, but still very pretty and summery.

Pet Magah Bird (also mentioned in an above post): I actually like this a ton more than I expected to. Coconut-y and fruity. Another great summer scent.

Snake Charmer resurrected: Arabian musk and exotic spices slinking through Egyptian amber, enticing vanilla, and a serpentine blend of black plum, labdanum, ambrette, benzoin and black coconut. The coconut (on me) is more of a hint in this, but I had to mention it since It's one of my all time favorite scents. :wub2:

Spooky: A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It's a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies. Some days this smells more like mint chocolate, other days it's much more on the coconut end. Love!

Tarot: The Star: Lime and Coconut, with a bit of a foody vibe to it. Sweet and smooth and very cheery.

Tiki King: This smells like a dark, woodsy coconut. Loooove this.

White Rose (bptp): White rose buds, with vanilla tea, benzoin, orris, coconut meat, and frankincense This is another one that's lighter on the coconut, but very pretty. :)

Creepy: this is the scent of butterscotch-kissed, caramel-smothered red apples spiked with a blast of coconut rum. Smells just like the description, very yummy!

Others I've tried but didn't work out:

White Chocolate, Marshmallow, and Coconut. Another one that smells just like it's description. The coconut note doesn't get beaten down by the others, but in the end it was too sweet for me.

Dia: Turned way too perfumey on me and would never have guessed there was coconut in it. So sad. :(

Obatala: Made me really really queasy every time I tried it. :ack:

Black Pearl: Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk. The white musk and iris killed this for me. :(

Antonino the Carny Talker: White musk, wild plum, vetiver, black coconut, verbena, fig, and lavender. Sadly, the white musk butchered all the other scents and scent it to straight cologne.

Velvet Tiki: Beautiful at first, but then took on a strangely dusty, stale smell. Maybe it was the orchid (I think that's it?). If that doesn't go wrong on you, definitely try it because it really is gorgeous at the beginning.

Blood Pearl: soft orris, blood musk, and coconut The orris killed this for me. :(

Upa Upa: Went straight to spice, no coconut. But then again, I amp spice.

And nothing from the Atomic Lounge worked on me. :(

I know I'm missing some, so I'll be back when I think of them.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

spooky: res is love. it reminds me of good times that i hadn't thought about in years.

obatala is love too, though a lot of people says that it smells like tanning oil. but then i have been known to buy body products specifically because i love the smell of coppertone.

I have mad love for Black Opal. It doesn't scream coconut or anything else, but you'll know for sure the coconut is there. It's hard to describe, but total yum.

OBATALA is my fave, I don't get a suntan lotion smell from it, it's more like I'm eating raw coconut meat right from the shell. In fact, I have a very distinct memory of when my husband and I went to Maui for our 10th anniversary and we stopped at a roadside stand and bought coconut meat from some kids. This smells exactly like that, yummmm.

Black Pearl unfortunately smells masculine on me.

I haven't tried any others yet but that's my 2 cents.

-Mel

So - Coconut is my holy grail/never fail/can be relied on to get a man (and several women) to stick his nose in my cleavage, fabled note of deliciousness. For some reason, even the cheapest and shabbiest of vaguely coconut scented things smell wonderful on me (must be my polynesian blood lines), so you can imagine the awesomeness that is coconut BPAL.

I plan to order a bottle of Tiki Princess this week and I thought I'd compliment that purchase with a 6-pack of coconut imps. I've found 9 impable scents with coconut mentioned in the ingredients and I need help to eliminate three of them.

Coconut Death Match!! :whack:

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Roses, Pearls and diamonds

Eden

I have Black Pearl (love) already but my imp is running low and Obatala is definitely looking like a strong contender.

Round one. Fight!

Oh.. Obatala definitely has to be in your pack - it's a lovely coconut blend, without being too suntan lotion-ish. Goblin is another one I'd definitely vote for, although it's a black coconut so it's much less sweet and with the benzoin & patchouli notes it's combined with.. overall Goblin is a 'dark' blend but the coconut is truly lovely. Blood Pearl is gorgeous, the coconut in that one is soft and velvety.

Shango is one of my faves but to be honest I didn't get any coconut from it.. same with Eden, coconut wasn't a dominant note in that one either. And Elegba is delicious but for me it was all about the rum and spices - the coconut was very subtle.

I'm not sure if any of that helps, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of those that you listed - they're all lovely! :smile:

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds is absolutely gorgeous, with a soft creamy coconut note. However, it's also primarily a rose scent to me, so if you hate roses, it might be best to pass on it for now.

I have Black Pearl (love) already but my imp is running low and Obatala is definitely looking like a strong contender.

Round one. Fight!

If you can afford it, get a bottle of Black Pearl. /enable

Sorry to be such a downer, but there's been rumours of things close to being discontinued, and you don't want to find that out just when you decide you want more of it. I've been slowly working my way though imps to find out which ones I do need bottles of.

Edited by sableheart

I plan to order a bottle of Tiki Princess this week and I thought I'd compliment that purchase with a 6-pack of coconut imps. I've found 9 impable scents with coconut mentioned in the ingredients and I need help to eliminate three of them.

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Eden

What sableheart said about Black Pearl. If you love it and can get a bottle, I would, as the lab has mentioned that there are a lot of GC blends in danger of being discontinued from component issues.

That said, I'd definitely recommend Obatala, Goblin, and Roses Pearls and Diamonds, for sure. Obatala and Goblin are both heavy on the coconut, but smell like different types of coconut to me. Goblin is my favorite GC coconut blend ever with the warm earthy notes mixed with rich coconut cream. The coconut in Roses Pearls and Diamonds is more subtle, but that's a very pretty blend if you like rose at all. I don't get any coconut at all from Shango. Brown Jenkin has that interesting, more wooden coconut husk thing going for it.

I'm really loving Tiki Princess and Paper Kite for coconut blends lately. I've ordered multiple bottles of both of those.

Yikes! If Black Pearl is in danger. . I guess I should take my back up bottle off the sale list. I love Black Pearl. . but don't wear it that much.

Obalata is a good coconut choice!

I have yet to find the perfect coconut bpal. .but I will never give up. I LOVE me some coconut.

So - Coconut is my holy grail/never fail/can be relied on to get a man (and several women) to stick his nose in my cleavage, fabled note of deliciousness. For some reason, even the cheapest and shabbiest of vaguely coconut scented things smell wonderful on me (must be my polynesian blood lines), so you can imagine the awesomeness that is coconut BPAL.

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Eden

Round one. Fight!

I'm also a HUGE coconut fan. I :wub2: Tiki Princess.

I didn't think Blood Pearl was a good coconut scent. I can barely smell coconut over the orris and it ends up just smelling perfumey. I still need to try Black Pearl but I can say that Obatala (fresh watery coconut) and Goblin (black coconut) are winners. Goblin is on my to-order list when we get the update.

Only recently discovered my love of coconut, so I only have a few recommendations, but maybe they'll help :)

Obatala....a very unisex, clean sort of coconut. I think it's the water and shea that make it more unisex than feminine. Very nice!

Tiki Princess...a lovely, youthful, feminine coconut blend. A very refreshing, clean coconut. The soft white florals are what make this more feminine.

Goblin is yummy, and as others have said, it is a "darker" take on coconut.

Paper Kite (from the metamorphosis series) is all coconut on me once it dries down. Be warned, the black pepper is quite zesty while wet. And if you amp black pepper or have trouble with it causing a reaction on your skin, this one isn't for you.

Paduan Killer Swarm...this is in my top ten of BPAL fragrances. Probably even top 5. The coconut is subtle and dry, not overly sweet or creamy. The sweet creaminess in this blend comes from the ginger cream note and the tonka. I love this blend. It is thick, rich, and soooo friggin sexy, without being too heavy. I've gone through 1.5 bottles. I have 4 on hand now, plus one more on the way.

Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds was straight up rose on me. So if you amp rose, you may want to steer clear.

Oh.. Obatala definitely has to be in your pack - it's a lovely coconut blend, without being too suntan lotion-ish. Goblin is another one I'd definitely vote for, although it's a black coconut so it's much less sweet and with the benzoin & patchouli notes it's combined with.. overall Goblin is a 'dark' blend but the coconut is truly lovely. Blood Pearl is gorgeous, the coconut in that one is soft and velvety.

Shango is one of my faves but to be honest I didn't get any coconut from it.. same with Eden, coconut wasn't a dominant note in that one either. And Elegba is delicious but for me it was all about the rum and spices - the coconut was very subtle.

I'm not sure if any of that helps, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of those that you listed - they're all lovely! :smile:

We may have a nose for the same smellies but our skin chemistry is total opposites. NEVER, ever pay attention to my reviews.

See, Goblin on me was nothing about the coconut. It's a sweet patchouli but you really can't tell what the sweet is as it's ALL patch. Elegba on the other hand is OMG coconut and a very edgy, sexy rough coconut. Like tanning lotion meets the boy from the wrong side of the tracks? ER, a clean boy from the wrong side of the tracks, at least.

Anyway, I LOVE Elegba. Golbin is yucky. Obatala, to me, is more about the water and shea.

Tiki Princess is like a floral coconut. But florals that are tropical and should be stuffed in a frozen coconut drink.

Paduan? I loved this at first. Then, for some reason, every time I put it on, I kept smelling clove cigarettes. :huh?: I mean, someone smoking clove cigarettes on teh beach. It was really confusing. It's being adopted.

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Eden

Round one. Fight!

Out of those, my favorite is Roses, Pearls and Diamonds (but then, I :heart: rose) with Elegba and Obatala close behind. I haven't tried Brown Jenkins or Goblin, Shango wasn't very coconutty on me, and Eden didn't work at all.

<snip>

Paduan? I loved this at first. Then, for some reason, every time I put it on, I kept smelling clove cigarettes. :huh?: I mean, someone smoking clove cigarettes on teh beach. It was really confusing. It's being adopted.

Dude... I've been waffling on keeping my Paduan for the same reason. I was all "OMG" over it at first, but once I got a bottle, I just never want to put it on. We are quite the pair, lol

Edited by Molls

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Eden

Round one. Fight!

definitely get goblin. it's so sexy. shango was mostly apple and banana to my nose.

<snip>

Dude... I've been waffling on keeping my Paduan for the same reason. I was all "OMG" over it at first, but once I got a bottle, I just never want to put it on. We are quite the pair, lol

:wub2: It does seems so.

I hope I actually wear Tiki Princess. :lol:

<snip>

:wub2: It does seems so.

I hope I actually wear Tiki Princess. :lol:

And I, on the other hand, am the adoptive parent of all the unloved Paduan, lol.

I LOVE Dia, it's in my top 10. To me it's a sexy, almost cologne-like coconut. I :heart: oakmoss though.

I love Paduan Killer Swarm too. It's a bit too smoky and thick for me when first applied, but it dries down fast, lasts forever and is just delicious.

Paper Kite is very sweet coconut (though it does have the pepper making it kind of dusty - I need to re-test this before it comes down to decide whether I need a bottle.)

I like Tiki Princess, but on me the herbal greenery is a lot stronger than any kind of floral. It is a nice coconut though, and I'm keeping it for now - but I prefer Paduan and Dia at the moment.

"Lamia" from the Neverwhere/Gaiman line is extremely coconutty (to my sorrow).

That's exactly what I got as well. It was almost a pure SN coconut.

"Lamia" from the Neverwhere/Gaiman line is extremely coconutty (to my sorrow).

That's exactly what I got as well. It was almost a pure SN coconut.

Orly. . . hmmmm. . . added to my 'list'

coconut SN would = pure win as long as those other notes don't meddle. LOL!

The contestants are:

Brown Jenkin

Blood Pearl

Black Pearl

Goblin

Elegba

Obatala

Shango

Eden

I'll pipe up for Brown Jenkin. To me it's like a coconutty Ivanushka, soft and furry, but with coconut too.

If you can afford it, get a bottle of Black Pearl. /enable

Sorry to be such a downer, but there's been rumours of things close to being discontinued, and you don't want to find that out just when you decide you want more of it. I've been slowly working my way though imps to find out which ones I do need bottles of.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to afford it without sacrificing something else. And I really want to try other coconut blends so my heart is set on this imp pack.

It looks like my choices are narrowing down a bit - Obatala, Goblin, Brown Jenkin and Black Pearl are all locks... that leaves 2 more slots from 5 possible options: blood pearl, Elegba, Shango, Roses pearls and diamonds, and Eden....

Are there any clear "must trys" in that lot? Hmmmm, maybe the rose one...

You've got my 2 fav coconut scents locked in ~ Obatala and Black Pearl. I do also really like Elegba, but recommend only if you like tobacco.

Sadly I hated Tiki Princess. It did the same thing Velvet Tiki did on me and morphed into this rancid celery salt smell with a slight plastic Snow White feel. Huge disappointment. I'm going to hang onto it and retest in case I'm having a bad skin chemistry week.

Good luck with your choices!