Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

I noticed that it was an LE. Is it difficult to get ahold of in the swaps/sales?

I'm not sure how tricky it is to find Snow White, but one GC you might like is Obatala.

Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.

Funny you should bring this topic up today! I'm currently wearing Death Adder (Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax). At first it's green swampy vetiver :ack: , then that drops into the background after a few minutes, leaving me with coconut vanilla heaven! The vetiver/opoponax just grounds it, giving it an earthy vibe.

It doesn't come in imp form, but you could probably find a decant in the sale section if you search :D .

I noticed that it was an LE. Is it difficult to get ahold of in the swaps/sales?

I got two bottles of Snow White 07 fairly easily on the sale boards...I also second Obatala. On me I'm not sure I get a lot of vanilla from Obatala but it's a nice sweet coconut. I also liked Elegba..coconutty but not as sweet.

I'm so glad to see this thread because I have been on a huge coconut kick lately and I like anything with vanilla. Funny thing is that last night, I was thinking about having a custom coconut/vanilla/sandalwood/sugar blend made up for me. I had completely forgotten about my bottles of Brown Jenkins and Death Adder which are both heavy on the coconut. I am going to be positively dripping in coconutty goodness. :D

Death Adder fills all my summer coconut needs. It's a dry, dark coconut. Obatala is a bit too fresh and sweet for me in the summer, so I prefer it in the cooler months.

I really like Shoggoth -- it's got the green coconut smell, rather than the ripe coconut that you see in most of the BPAL coconut blends. And Kalirren likes Eden, which I know has been mentioned here several times.

I've also got an imp of Goblin stashed away -- it was nice, but the patchouli needed some aging. I'm going to bust it out again in a year or so and see whether that's mellowed. If so, I think it's going to be a winner too.

I also wonder if you'd like Opuhi, even though it's LE but I've seen it on the sale boards. I don't think coconut is listed but to me it smells like really really good vanilla (a little spicy) but it's got kind of a creamy smell that I sometimes associate with coconut scents.

Edited by Jess2316

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'll need to look up Obalata (I'd forgotten about that one). That sounds so goood! And I've been wanting to get into the Snake Pit anyway, so I might have to hunting for a decant of Death Adder (along with Boomslang, which I've been coveting for quite a while!).

*sighs contentedly as she thinks of her beloved Eden* Eden's in my top three for a reason. I love it more everytime I wear it, and on me it's a coconutty, creamy, green sandalwood concoction.

My favorite coconut blends (in no particular order):

Tiki King

Goblin

Death Adder

The Star

Some others I really like that have coconut, but not really coconut-y on me:

Snake Charmer

Creepy

Ashlultum

Brown Jenkins (coconut at first, more woodsy as it dries)

Upa Upa (a bit of coconut, but then goes mostly spicy)

Ones I did not like:

Obatala (made me sick to my stomach every time I've tried it)

Eden (not very coconut-y and went...off on me)

Black Pearl (no coconut at all)

Here's another vote for Tiki King. It needed some age on it for me... at first it was more musk than anything. Now I get a lot more coconut.

Obatala still takes the cake for me though.

I feel like an idiot for not recommending Goblin or Death Adder!! I don't get vanilla from either, but DA is straight up snake oil with coconut. Fine, smooth, spicy snake oil, definitely a dirty/dark vanilla. Goblin to me is straight up patchouli plus a hint of coconut, but it depends on your chemistry what you tend to amp, too.

Mm Death Adder. So much love.

Velvet Tiki is a really young, fresh coconut with vanilla flower and vanilla bean. There are some serious tropical florals but they burn off fairly quickly. Wearing it now and it's almost entirely coconut/vanilla.

Obatala is pure, white, coconutty love. :wub2: Wearing it feels like getting a big, warm hug that smells of amaaaaazing coconut and shea. Eden is wonderful for coconut, too, but it fulfills a totally different coconut need for me, because it's so toasty, nutty and brown. I like having each of them, because they're different sides of coconut, and I like them equally.

I also adore the coconut in Dia and Snow White, both of which smell very white, clean, sweet and glowing to me, but I know that not everybody gets the coconut in Snow White, depending on skin chem. (Not sure about Dia.) But they're both amazing. Dia, in particular, has become more overtly coconutty as it has aged, because when I first got it, the coconut was faint. Now, when I wear it, the coconut really stands out, and it's beautiful.

Believe it or not, Velvet Unicorn smells somewhat coconutty on me, too. I can't speak for Velvet Tiki yet, because I haven't done a test sniff yet, but in the bottle, a really fresh, green coconut comes out. Can't wait to see if it shows up once it's on...

EDIT: Okay, now I've skin-tested Velvet Tiki, and I can highly recommend that one to coconut lovers, too. It's not very creamy, but it is silky smooth (velvety?), lighter, greener and fresher than some coconut blends. It's nicely mixed with other tropical fruits and flowers, but the coconut never wavers, without being too heavy or sugary or in-your-face.

Edited by Bluestocking

I've been on a coconut kick lately, so here are my personal thoughts on coconut blends:

Brown Jenkins: Fuzzy, brown-sugary coconut. Make me think of Tribbles.

Obatala: gentle, soft, milky, watery coconut

Black Pearl: Cool coconut and seashells

Intrigue: Cool wood, chocolaty fig and waxy coconut (contains palm, not coconut, but it smells like coconut to me)

Dia: coconut dryer sheets

Snake Charmer: noticeable coconut when wet, dries to something darker and smoky without much coconut. A little bit like Death Adder in the early stages.

Death Adder: rich, deep coconut snake oil...and vetiver. (here the vetiver is sharp and grassy with a hint of smoke)

Tiki Queen: mostly crisp tropical florals, practically no coconut

Velvet Tiki: What I wanted Tiki Queen to be. Lots of coconut and fruit balanced by tropical flowers. Ultimate tropical scent.

Bat of Good Death: Warm, sweet coconut and resins. Imagine adding coconut to Heavenly Love and Earthly Love or Minotaur (sans black musk)

Edited by naeelah

Dia is my #1 coconut blend. It's so light and creamy and pretty, no suntan lotion smell at all. Shoggoth and Black Pearl are really great, too, although I like them because they aren't creamy -- they've both got a sharp green edge that makes them super huffable.

I loooove coconut, but I'm uber-picky about it. I want it to not be "fakey" like so many other companies' coconut scents are.

OBATALA is my pure coconuts scent. The one that makes me feel like I just broke one open on a tropical beach and drank the milk and am chewing on the fresh meat.

Elega is my second, as i do love a pina colada, even minus the pina part. It's sweeter, boozier, more drinky-drinky, but still lurvely.

Black Pearl, I'm just trying again, but it comes out as having so many other notes in with it, where Obatala is just like "KING COCONUT" to me.

Okay I haven't bought new Bpal for a couple years now, maybe 18 months. I am on a major coconut binge. Are there any scents released in the last 2 years, GC or LE that feature a big hit of coconut?

I am happy to hunt down an LE that has a dominant coconut note!

And just offhand did any of the Tiki's have dominant coconut? I am slowly collecting them, only bought Tiki Queen when they came out.. v(ery beautiful scent)

Deathly Pride has a good dose of awesome coconut (notes of licorice incense, coconut, and bay rum). It was in the latest bptp inquisition yule series.

Goblin is probably the most coconutty bpal on me (black coconut, patchouli, and benzoin). It smells like a really creamy, sweet coconut mixed with patchouli. There's also Obatala (which I find verrry coconutty), Brown Jenkin, and Elegba, but those are all older ones that you may have already tried.

There's the new Roses, Pearls, and Diamonds scent that just came out (notes of red roses, dazzling crystalline musks, and pearlescent coconut-tinged orris). I have that one on order, but haven't tried it yet.

You might want to try these (though I don't know if I'd say they have a dominant coconut note; I think that depends more on skin chemistry):

*Dia (white amber, coconut, white musk, oakmoss, and tobacco flower)

*Mlle. Lilith, Fortune Teller (coconut and a bit of sugar with pomegranate, pink musk, orange blossom, cypress, honey myrtle, and incense)

*Pet Magah Bird (blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear)

*Upa Upa (spiced rum, coconut, pineapple, and vanilla)

*Velvet Tiki (gold-washed frangipani, vanilla flower, vanilla bean, coconut, hibiscus, papaya, pineapple, bouganvilla, passion fruit, and three orchids)

And there's Milk Chocolate, Coconut, Cardamom, Rum, and Ginger Truffle available as an LE right now...

Alot of the Atomic Lua Lounge LE's feature coconut, including screeching parrot which is delicious, but not as a main note. I don't think i've come across a bpal that smells PURELY of coconut, but the atomic lua's are very tropical.. you may find a winner with them! :) I'm sure you can find imps in the for sale thread.

Agreed on Goblin, very dark-coconutty on me, great rec.

Tiki King supposedly has a good dose of black coconut; I really smell it in the bottle, but my skin amps the ironwood bark in it like nobody's business--maybe on someone whose skin didn't have a penchant for doing that it would come out very coconutty.

Edited by Invidiana

Little Bird suggested it and I second. velvet tiki. Velvet Tiki. VELVET TIKI! It reminds me of Haagen Dazs pineapple-coconut ice cream, with vanilla and tropical flowers for garnish. My favorite of all fruity-floral BPAL.

Goblin is also a really nice coconut-patchouli blend.