Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

What's the best coconut blend?

Elegba made me smell like some kind of mixed drink with a cute umbrella in it, but if you like that sort of thing, it's a very good one ;-) Eden, for no sensible reason, made me smell like Thai coconut milk soup. Which, I mean, yes, a delightful coconut, but that's foody in a way that perfume really shouldn't be!

I am currently wearing Blood Pearl, and it's doing something that I think might be what people identify as "plastic-y", or at least a close cousin of it, but I really like that scent! It doesn't say "plastic" to my nose. It somehow has melded into a whole new delightful scent where I can identify the coconut if I try, but it doesn't "smell like coconut", if that makes any sense. I do really want to try Obatala now.

Obatala! Eden had too much fig for me, Black Pearl had too much hazelnut for me.

Obatala is just right. Mellow coconut- not mounds or tanning oil- just smooth coconut milk & shea (which just melts right into your skin.) My boyfriend pounces on me when I wear this.

Brown Jenkins!

Coconut is one of those notes that overwhelms and verges on "fake" for me.

B.J. is a happy exception. It reads coconut to me but a very nice coconut :P

As I posted a while back on this post, Obatala is sweet juicy coconut. My favorite now, though, is Brown Jenkins, which is a drier, spicy coconut. I'll bet they would be yummy layered, now that I think about it...

I don't love coconut, but Brown Jenkins is really nice, especially if you don't like "average" coconut. Another blend I get a more summery-sweet coconut note from is Midway, though of course it's LE and hard to find. And I have to agree about Snow White smelling like coconut - on me it emphatically turns into one of the plasticky fake coconut scents I definitely don't like. I don't think it's just the "creaminess" of the scent suggesting that to me either, as I usually tend to associate that quality with gardenia or magnolia instead. SW is just full-blown bad, bad coconut on me. Ick!

My absolute favorite of the ones previously mentioned is Red Lantern, but partly because I just don't get any coconut at all from it, hehe. With my chemistry, RL starts out caramel and morphs into this incredibly sexy blend of opium and amber, with the slightest whispers of leftover sweetness, blond tobacco, and spice. I wear it when I'm hunting for Boy, and it doesn't disappoint. :P

I love coconut, I just looked up the different coconut scents and I think a imp pack will be on its way to me soon! lol

Question- Has anyone here tried Antonio or Carnaval Diabolique? They both list coconut as a note, but they sound odd. lol

Bumping this thread because surely some of the new Tiki blends will be mana for us coconut lovers! Those of you who have them already - spill! :P

Unfortunately I didn't get ANY coconut from the tiki blends. I was really sad....I'm still looking, though I love Obatala...he's my fave right now.

I second this. I just found Obatala myself and its just lovely.

I like the coconut in Carnaval Diabolique too, but its definitely a "different" scent.

Although I don't think anyone's reviewed it, Obatala sounds like all coconut, all the time. Shea, milk, and water don't sound like they'd do much more than add a creamy, refreshing quality to the coconut scent... mmmm.

Totally seconding the above. Obatala is like a yummy tropical coconut smoothie and it LAAAAAASTS! :P

I got coconut from Upa Upa - sort of candied-spiced-rum coconut. Fun girly drink smell. Tiki King was grounded coconut - light musk & coconut with lemon rind. Almost a grounded ozone / not ozone, if that makes sense.

But the best coconut blend is Obatala, IMHO :P

This might be just me, but Experimental Blend #1, a.k.a. Feathered Snake Oil. I got some, and it is such heaven! I love love love coconut and to me, Exp. Blend #1 smells like a mixture of Snake Oil, Antique Lace and coconut. If I could bathe in it, I would!

Hi All!

I'm sorry if i somehow am reposting, i did a search & didn't see the same post, buuut, i am tired & could have missed it :)

I was wondering if any of you new of a BPAL scent that was coconut/tropical scented :P ? Like that wonderful symbolic scent of summer, suntan lotion ;) ?

thanks!

I thought I'd repost Igloogirl's question in this thread, and I did some searching for coconut scents to see if I could contribute anything.

And as I was looking at the "coconut" results I had an epiphany - how it took me 3+ years to figure this out, I don't know. I amp coconut like crazy! Shoggoth is nothing but coconut on me. Eden, nothing but fresh green coconut. Spooky? Coconut that just brushed its teeth.

But I think that if there are enough "dark" things in a blend, the coconut will just sweeten it a bit and I can wear it: King of Spades , Dark Delicacies, Snake Charmer. I'm going to give Tiki King a couple more tries before I give up since so many people are passionately in love with it, and I'm really hopeful for Ashtultum. (Gwyneth, too, but sage could be a whole 'nother story, maybe I should go post in the Confessional thread about it :D )

Anyway, I'm really jealous of you people who can wear everything with coconut, especially Shoggoth and Eden :D

My favorite coconut blend is Black Pearl (GC!) and my second runner up is The Star, although it is discontinued. If you can track down a sniffie, it's a beautiful warm citrus coconut - very nice for summer!

Ashlultum!! I like it! Actually, I love it!! :P I can't usually wear coconut blends but I'm just raving about this one today. I think the combination of tobacco and musk make both the lilac and coconut darker and easier for me to wear. This is definately not a pure coconut scent at all but a really lovely blend with coconut more in the background.

i second ashlultum :P coconut is definitely not at the forefront but plays an important role

i also love red lanturn and like diwali

Brown Jenkins did this utterly heavenly vanilla/coconut mixture on me for about five minutes before it morphed into woods. Does anyone have any suggestions for a blend that won't morph? I don't mind florals being included if they're light. I love what Eden does with its coconut, for example. I'll take "darker" vanillas and coconuts, like the vanilla in Black Opal. Any suggestions?

Snow White would be my recommendation for a lightly floral, soft vanilla/coconut. Delicious.

I wish I got that from Snow White. No coconut at all for me. :( In fact, it smelled like play-do.

I am soooo jealous of the people that get coconut. I about cried when I tried it.