Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

Carnations

Nia, do you do anything special to get Maiden to last on you? I have been testing Maiden over the weekend and the great spicey smell doesn't last on me. :P It's probably just my chemistry as with all other oils, but I thought I'd ask.

I agree that Maiden is a wonderful carnation scent though I'm now going to check out Alice, just in case.

I just apply it on my skin, my chemistry seems to like it. You could try applying it on your hair if you don't use any styling products.

I :P carnation! I like spicier scents over floral or sweet, bearing that in mind, here is my list of fave carnation oils:

1. Pink Moon 2007 (I have 3 bottles!)

2. Hod

3. Morocco

All of these, layer especially well with Lushs (sadly discontinued) Potion Lotion. And as of November 1st, Potion will be released as a solid perfume. (you can buy it online now)

well I definitely want to chat in this section! I love the smell of carnation and like Lionesse I love it paired with sweet or delicately floral scents :P

Right now I absolutely adore The Oval Portrait--it's sweet, slightly floral, creamy in feel, with that definite complexity of carnation in there! It reminds me, color-wise, of a blushing very pale pink--like a blossom that is so pale a pink it looks like it's just blushing. :D I just wish I could find a GC that was exactly like it :D

I also have multiple bottles of Pink Moon '07 and I have a bottle of Bathsheba (which while I definitely enjoy is a bit intense at times for me).

I tried Alice but it went back and forth between very strongly sweet (the throw was ridiculous) and smelling like bad diaper cream/diapers in general yet Zarita seemed to behave herself on my skin though she wasn't really that blushingly beautiful carnation that I was hoping for.

However, reading this thread I am extremely tempted to try Hod and perhaps Maiden.

Has anyone tried Et Lux Fuit? It sounds vaguely similar to Oval Portrait but with a lemon note added in to it...

Edited by Lunaratu

I will chime in for Bathsheba. I avoided it because the note list includes Arabian musk, and normally musk and I don't get along. But a friend frimped me, and it is a beautiful scent...very strongly carnation with a bit of plum and a background of spices. I'll definitely be getting more of this.

I've tried Et Lux Fuit and didn't find it to be heavy on carnation at all. I definitely recommend Hod, though, if you can find it: it's almost Carnation SN. I LOVE Alice. You might also want to try Maiden.

I'm wearing maiden now and it is only the slightest bit mellower and rounder than my SN carnation.

I love it lots.

I like Caterpiller as well but the carnation is more subtle and the spices play a larger role. Maiden is WHOA CARNATION on me.

I'm wearing maiden now and it is only the slightest bit mellower and rounder than my SN carnation.

I love it lots.

I like Caterpiller as well but the carnation is more subtle and the spices play a larger role. Maiden is WHOA CARNATION on me.

Caterpillar went a little funky on me when I tried it for some odd reason--something in there just didn't like me! :P

but since you're another huge carnation fan I'm sure we'll be having fun squeeing over each other's collections this evening at the MnS :D

Right now I absolutely adore The Oval Portrait--it's sweet, slightly floral, creamy in feel, with that definite complexity of carnation in there! It reminds me, color-wise, of a blushing very pale pink--like a blossom that is so pale a pink it looks like it's just blushing. :P I just wish I could find a GC that was exactly like it :D

Victoria (from the Stardust series) reminds me of The Oval Portrait a great deal - V. is a little rosier, TOP has that heady honeysuckle but their underlying feel is similar to me.

Morocco might be my favorite GC carnation scent - although Alice and Maiden are both very carnation-y on me and they're beloved as well. I love BPAL's carnation note(s).

Reaper and the Flowers has a gorgeous carnation note. I just wish I could wear the blend on my skin.

Has anyone tried Et Lux Fuit? It sounds vaguely similar to Oval Portrait but with a lemon note added in to it...

I just recently got to try Et Lux Fuit, and when I first smelled it (before reading the notes) I could definitely pick out carnation. To me the honeycomb, amber, carnation, and vanilla musk are the dominant notes.

Right now I absolutely adore The Oval Portrait--it's sweet, slightly floral, creamy in feel, with that definite complexity of carnation in there! It reminds me, color-wise, of a blushing very pale pink--like a blossom that is so pale a pink it looks like it's just blushing. :D I just wish I could find a GC that was exactly like it :)

I wish I could get carnation out of The Oval Portrait, all I seem to be able to smell is the rice flower. :P

To weigh in on the other carnation blends, I definitely agree with all the recommendations of Alice and Maiden as wonderful GC carnations. Each are very much CARNATION! on me while remaining quite different from each other. Maiden's carnation is more green and has that freshly cut feel to it with the tea adding to the crispness and the rose giving a breath of sweet in the dry down. Alice is carnation and milk with drips of honey, very creamy and soft. Pink Moon 07 is of course amazing for that spicy floral as well, I get a touch of phlox in the bottle but once it's on it's completely sugar dusted carnations. I also absolutely love Frumious Bandersnatch. I've noticed some people seem to get a 'craft store' vibe from it, but on me it's carnations and plums with chrysanthemums blooming behind them. It's definitely more spicy than the others, which is a good thing if you're like me and enjoy lettin' the spice flow. My boyfriend wears The Bow & Crown of Conquest all the time and I can only pick out the carnation in it if I'm really searching.

I have yet to try Morocco (blasphemous, I know - everyone seems to love it too much to sell any to me :D ), and I can only hope I'll get to try Hod some day.

And here's a quick question - I know there's been some discussion about Bathsheba in here before, but I was wondering specifically if it (and its carnation) are similar to Frumious Bandersnatch at all? Both have carnation and plum with very few others notes, so I'm curious if they'd be alike.

And here's a quick question - I know there's been some discussion about Bathsheba in here before, but I was wondering specifically if it (and its carnation) are similar to Frumious Bandersnatch at all? Both have carnation and plum with very few others notes, so I'm curious if they'd be alike.

To my nose, Bathsheba is a very sophisticated carnation with just a bit of plum & musk to dress things up - all pearls & cashmere twin sets, if you know what I mean. Frumious Bandersnatch was much heavier altogether, with a lot more plum & lots of spice. Less cashmere, more hand-dyed super-bulky :D I was, however, one of those who referenced "craft store" in my reviews, so you may get a very different reaction.

And seriously, you have got to try Hod. :P

I tried out Zarita for the first time yesterday and I found that the carnation note was really strong on me, nice and spicy. Sadly it was also a bit soapy.

I have yet to try Morocco (blasphemous, I know - everyone seems to love it too much to sell any to me :P ), and I can only hope I'll get to try Hod some day.

I find Bandersnatch to be much fruitier and sweeter than Bathsheba - I'd classify Bathsheba as a musky perfume with spice, floral and fruit tones, and Bandersnatch as a fruity perfume with spicy tones. On my skin at least, the carnation in Bandersnatch probably cuts the sweetness of the plum a bit with its herbal spicy qualities, but I don't pick it up as a distinct note. I do smell lots of carnation in Bathsheba (it is especially nice to layer with Lush's Potion lotion, if you are a hoarder of that stuff). I really like them both, personally, and it's actually kind of interesting how two blends with such similar sounding notes can end up being so different.

You really need to order Morocco - no matter how selfish all those swappers seem to be, the Lab will always be happy to sell it to you! You're depriving yourself! People who think they hate florals love it, people who think they hate sandalwood love it... even if you splurge on a bottle instead of an imp, as you see from its rare appearance in the swaps forum, you will probably not have any trouble finding someone who will give it a new home if, horror of horrors, it doesn't work for you.

agnusdei edit: Oops, I didn't realize my boyfriend was signed in instead of me. :P Sorry! I'll make my post under my name now.

Edited by manusdei

Thank you so much tartchef & ivyandpeony for helping me with my question! Looks like I'll have to try Bathsheba for sure (not like I could really pass it up anyway, but reassurance is always good :P ) I'm happy to hear it's less plum and more carnation than FB, it will be interesting to see those notes together in a different way.

You really need to order Morocco - no matter how selfish all those swappers seem to be, the Lab will always be happy to sell it to you! You're depriving yourself! People who think they hate florals love it, people who think they hate sandalwood love it... even if you splurge on a bottle instead of an imp, as you see from its rare appearance in the swaps forum, you will probably not have any trouble finding someone who will give it a new home if, horror of horrors, it doesn't work for you.

You're so right, I think it's time to just go straight to the lab on that one. I always seem to put off making lab orders because I can never make up my mind on what I want, and I always go to that place of 'well, if I'm already going to buy something, might as well take a chunk out of my wishlist while I do it!' Hopefully I'll be able to keep my order to a bottle of Morocco and some more Alice and not do too much damage.

okay, so. I'm obsessed with finding carnation scents. I'm going to put together a carnation-y imp order, so let's talk business: what should I include?

I think obviously Maiden and Morocco, but how carnationy is Bathsheba? And how much other stuff comes out for most of you in Zarita?

Also, it seems like I should try to get my hands on Pink Moon 07... what other carnation LEs should I hunt down? and what is Hod?

Edited by Katherynne

okay, so. I'm obsessed with finding carnation scents. I'm going to put together a carnation-y imp order, so let's talk business: what should I include?

I think obviously Maiden and Morocco, but how carnationy is Bathsheba? And how much other stuff comes out for most of you in Zarita?

Also, it seems like I should try to get my hands on Pink Moon 07... what other carnation LEs should I hunt down? and what is Hod?

Pink Moon 07 is my #1 favorite BPAL scent. The closest GC in feel to me is Maenad. If you haven't tried that one it is perfect for summer with the lovely strawberry and carnation.

Maiden, absolutely. Morocco, sure. Alice, yes.

Get Cleménce, from the newest round of the Carnaval. It's delicious spicy carnation for most of its lifespan; the patchouli is just an afternote.

Zarita was white flowers on me, which usually means "soap." So, it was lightly scented carnation soap. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Pink Moon is lovely and girly and the bottle is super cute. I think of it as the little sister of Faith and Hope: another sugared flower.

Hod...oh, Hod. Hod is one of those you'll almost never find. It's a discontinued GC. It only came in 10mL bottles. It is the closest to Carnation SN as I've found in the catalog.

I love carnations!

Bathsheba is nice, but it's a very close skin-scent on me. If you like plum, I think you should try it as the amount of plum on me is equal to the amount of the carnation in the scent. Zarita, on me, is a creamy, girly, perfumey carnation scent. It's very fragrant and lasts for HOURS. I definitely recommend Pink Moon 07 and Hod too :P

Hod...oh, Hod. Hod is one of those you'll almost never find. It's a discontinued GC. It only came in 10mL bottles. It is the closest to Carnation SN as I've found in the catalog.

Reading this resulted in my mentally kicking myself for not ordering a bottle of Hod when I had the chance. I did. I remember seriously considering it and deciding not to. :P

Reading this resulted in my mentally kicking myself for not ordering a bottle of Hod when I had the chance. I did. I remember seriously considering it and deciding not to. :P

Yeah, me too. I spent months tracking down a bottle.

Maiden & Morocco are good choices, very different but both very carnation-y. Morocco took a couple months of aging to get to where it smelled 'right' to me though, so on the off chance you don't get anything spicy at first I'd cellar that sucker for a bit. Bathsheba is lovely & the carnation is rather strong to me, so I would recommend it! I don't know if you've tried it yet or want to, but Alice is another scent where the prominent note (to me) is carnation. Also in the GC, Desdemona went all carnation peppery in the drydown for me & Queen Alice settles to a spicy cidery carnation so they might be worth consideration. I haven't tried Brisingamen or Maenad yet, but the reviews for both seem to suggest that they'd be good choices. You'll definitely want Pink Moon 07 of course, it's pretty much just straight sugared carnations. I can't think of any other LE that I've tried that was as much about them as PM, but I did try The Masque recently & it goes all golden & yummy with carnation as one of the more powerful notes. And then there's Hod... which is my absolute favorite & seems worlds away from the other carnation heavy scents. It takes everything wonderful that I associate with carnations and amps it tenfold into creamy spicy amazingness, very worth it to try.

Oh! & since I'm here, can anyone comment on the oomph of the carnation in Brisingamen, Maenad, & Carnivàle? They're the last few scents I need in my quest to try everything that might possibly smells like carnations. :P

So, okay. Maiden, Morocco, Maenad & Alice. In Brisingamen, I'm worried about the amber. I have this weird problem with amber.

I've been eyeing Clemence for many reasons -- the carnation is just a plus on that one, the whole damn thing sounds great to me!

Edited by Katherynne

I would go with Alice. Ther rose notes in Alice are very, very light...in fact, I really can't detect them at all. So, if you are worried about the rose taking it all over, you don't need to be. Alice is lovely.