Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajcj213499

Carnations

I would go with Alice. Ther rose notes in Alice are very, very light...in fact, I really can't detect them at all. So, if you are worried about the rose taking it all over, you don't need to be. Alice is lovely.

I second this. Alice is one of the very few BPAL blends with rose in it that works on me and that I love. Carnation and honey/milk are the dominant notes on me. I get almost no rose.

I'm worried about the honey in Alice -- I HATE HATE HATE honey smell =/

BUT on the plus side for any carnation lovers -- right now LUSH has their Potion Lotion available again! :P

Cross-posted from the GC & Disc thread :D

A study in carnations :P

Hod - all thick cream & spicy carnations, the closest thing I've sniffed to carnation SN

Morocco - carnation with a waft of cinnamon & light musk, lighter than Hod by far

Judith & Holofernes - carnation & smokey musk, like Hod's older sister, with a penchant for thigh-highs & bias-cut silk dresses & making heads turn

Inez - the faintest carnation of the four lurking under the myrrh & sandalwood, Judith & Holofernes' twin, the more introverted of the two, her black lace bra peeking out from under a beautifully tailored tweed jacket

^ thank you so much for posting that -- it's really helpful!

Right now I'm all :P because I've managed to get my hands on a virgin bottle of Hod! I am so beyond happy about this I can't even say, and I wanted to say thanks to you guys who all talked about it in here. I feel fulfilled, hahaha. I am now armed with this AND with Lush's Potion Lotion.

ok, I am new here, and have searched through the first 14 pages of recomendation, read almost all the reveiws, and am still looking for an idea of a scent I want and would love some help! you all know so much and can smell so much that I giddy in reading your recomendations!!

I am an amber addict, the rub on resin being my favorite, warm and dark, incensy. (sorry, I suck at spelling).

But I was recently introduced to a carnation scent in the lush poison. I have ordered a bunch of imps and some used bottles from here like the maiden,

but I am still hoping to read a reveiw that describes a dark spicy carnation with a thick layer or incensy amber, maybe with a hint of rose.

but not powdery.

anyone out there know what scent I am looking for, and then where to look for it undr what catagory?? thanks SOOOO much!!

I am thrilled to have found this site!

ella

There aren't too many scents in the general collection with carnation ... you can always pick up a sample pack of six of them. I'd go for Bathsheba, Morocco, and Horreur Sympathique at least. Several scents from the Mad Tea Party collection also have carnation. I think Queen Alice and The Caterpillar might be worth a look.

You might want to try to find an older LE here on the forum. You might like these:

*Gypsy Queen - "Romany incense and candle smoke mingling with an alluring, body-warmed whiff of bergamot, neroli, Bulgar rose, carnation, and amber musk."

*Hod - (spicy, dry, creamy carnation)

*The Masque - "Honey and carnation, rich incense and rose accord, myrtle, red sandalwood, amber, jonquil and clove propel you through the revel, finally seating itself in the final, patchouli, tobacco and labdanum drenched darkness of the blood-tinged western chamber."

I get something of a dark, spicy carnation smell from Scherezade (Bewitching Brews) and you might also want to try Morocco (Wanderlust).

*Hod - (spicy, dry, creamy carnation)

*The Masque - "Honey and carnation, rich incense and rose accord, myrtle, red sandalwood, amber, jonquil and clove propel you through the revel, finally seating itself in the final, patchouli, tobacco and labdanum drenched darkness of the blood-tinged western chamber."

ooooo!! I need to hunt these down!! yeah for more to search for!

Scherezade Horreur Sympathique and Morocco I will go look and read the reveiws, thanks for the point in the right direction!

I have ordered a set of imps andam hoping to get some more imps soon from board memebrs. but cattapillar and the queen alice are some that are in my hopefull soon to come imp order.

now I am going on a treasure hunt through the sale thread to see if I can find some of the others suggested here!:)

Seconding Hod and The Masque! Carnation was the first note I was obsessed with when I initially got into BPAL, so I have a pretty decent collection of it.

Pink Moon 2007 (LE) is quite nice, but not particularly dark: sugared carnation and phlox.

A GC in that vein is High-Strung Daisies: daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar.

Et Lux Fuit (LE) is one of my top favorites, and seems to be an exception to ylang ylang ruining scents for me, but it's very bright: golden amber, heliotrope, vanilla musk, carnation, daisy and sunflower bouquet, neroli, lemon peel, ylang ylang and honeycomb.

I get mostly carnation and amber from Brisingamen (GC): five ambers, soft myrtle and apple blossom, myrtle, and carnation.

If you're a fan of vanilla, definitely look up Inez (from the Carnaval): golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood.

Ysabel (LE), for one with rose: red carnation, red roses, Spanish cedar, velvet musk, pomegranate, clove, and incense.

Red Rose (LE) doesn't actually have carnation, but it is a gorgeous blend with amber and that creamy, spicy feel: red rose buds, with amber, clove, tonka, Indian musk, fir, and tobacco.

For bath oils, L'Estate (LE) may be hard to find, but worth it: carnation, golden amber, honey myrtle, beeswax absolute, summer peach, cardamom, and vanilla orchid.

Ysabel is resiny with carnation spice: frankincense, benzoin, carnation, and balsam of Peru.

If you're into room sprays, you could look for Holiday Argument Diffusing Spray (LE) on the forum: carnation, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, Roman chamomile, ylang ylang, bergamot, and lemon peel.

Phew! Now I need to go wear some of these again! :lol:

Edited for formatting.

Edited by chaismolokom

This one is a really dark carnation blend if you're looking for that:

The Byronic Antihero: An aristocratic cologne of titanic passions, moody and brooding. This scent is dark with disillusionment and cynicism: a Victorian fougère and a dashing carnation boutonnière tainted by a cloud of khus, yew, and patchouli.

Edited by Invidiana

Brisingamen is another one of the imps that i have coming, so I am glad to see it recomended!

'Ysabel (LE), for one with rose: red carnation, red roses, Spanish cedar, velvet musk, pomegranate, clove, and incense.

Red Rose (LE) doesn't actually have carnation, but it is a gorgeous blend with amber and that creamy, spicy feel: red rose buds, with amber, clove, tonka, Indian musk, fir, and tobacco. '

oh my!! these two sound divine!!! I will scour the sale threads for some of these beauties!

The Byronic Antihero sounds facinating, will add it to my list to read about!!

keep them coming please!! i am getting so many good ideas and hopes!! now I just need to be able to find them! lol!

Seconding the rec. for Inez! (Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood) It's the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of your post. To me it's very carnation-y but with dark, amber-y undertones.

She's part of the Carnival Diabolique which is technically limited edition but is still available on the lab's website.

Edited by unlaced

wow, are we twins??? i love amber and carnation too, they are some of my favorite notes! the first two that came to mind are gypsy queen and love in the asylum. both have rose in them as well. they will be harder to find though, unfortunately. i think hod was pretty spicy too. i also love maiden and alice...though alice is softer. and a recent LE klara, is similar to alice but i believe it's a little bolder.

I too am very fond of carnation and amber! My immediate reaction for "dark carnation" is Clemence from Carnival Diabolique. Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove.

It's very dark, very spicy. :wub2: No amber though, and you probably need to love clove too.

yeah!! so many good ones to look for!! I have worn the amber resin since I was nine, dabbled in different amber oils, like sweet sandlewood, never been a fan of perfume scents, definately not the girly girl scent.

I actually thought I was only an amber girl until the lush poison smell was given to me. and that carnation just dropped me dead! wow!

I have dreads and I use the poison on my dreads to keep them wonderfully scented for days!! but now I wan a smell that deep and mysteriouse and dark but sweet.

so many LE that sound wonderful!! I will need to make a wish list. today is my day to scour the board and see if I can research the ones suggested and then see if I can find any available.

and I have to say, I have been on many diofferent boards for many differnt hobbies and loves, but this is the first board where I ahve posted something and gotten many responses right off the bat!! It feels very fun to be here! thanks

ella

ok, I am having ahrd time trying to track some of these oils down to read their reveiws. if I could some more direction? Like the catagory to look under that would be awsesome!

Bathsheba

Horreur Sympathique

*Hod

*The Masque

The Byronic Antihero

Red Rose

klara

and my wish list is growing HUGE!!! Its a good thing I love oils so much, cause I think my straight amber collection is going to explode soon!

If you know what category they all belong to, then you can just go straight to the reviews and go from there. I never know what section each scent is from, so I go to the advanced search. It's the little gear symbol under "Price Caps". From there you can type in the scent name and limit the search to titles only. Under "Find in forum" select "Reviews" and hit search. Voila! Hopefully the specific scent review thread you're looking for should show up. Sounds confusing, but it's pretty simple. Good luck!

Another for you to try would be The Bow and Crown of Conquest, if you also like woodsy scents. The description is: Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather. It's under Sin and Salvation and I think it's quite delicious. :wub2:

I always have trouble finding the reviews thread for Hod (I think the search engine doesn't find words with less than 4 letters?) so I just thought I'd let you know it's in the Discontinued/Sephiroth section, but here's the link as well - Hod. Hope that helps!

When I can't find the right category (or just feel too lazy to go searching) I find Google searching "BPAL scentnamehere" does the trick. No weird restrictions on letters, etc. either. :)

which amber is really strong? I have bastet, but it seems very soft, the smell is great but I want it stronger.

While playing with the imps today I layered Bastet over haunted and all I can say ix WOW!! Is there a thread that talked about different scents layered on top of each other?

By the way the layer I have is a darker richer amber then either of them where alone, with a sweet deep resiny back ground. Live it:)

Found it! I need to remembe that if I have thought of it 7 other people have probably thout of it! (slinking away to continue learning on the advanced search);)

Whoa, carnation lovers if you haven't tried the Yule 2015 - Hurðaskellir, yet then you should - it is "booming carnation" like it says. I thought I liked carnation, unconditionally, but I realize the carnations I do like are blended with other florals or some sort of sweet scents like sugar and honey. Some of my favorite carnations so far are:

Alice

High Strung Daisies

The Reaper and the Flowers

Though, I tried Prurience awhile back which is a spicy carnation and didn't seem to mind it. I will have to retest...