Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jarvenpa

Daffodils, Narcissus, Paperwhites... and Hyacinth

So, I am fairly new to BPAL, and thoroughly hooked, and have given my 20 year old bright artistic daughter my imp of Jester (which she loves; it works well for her), but she has mentioned her great love of daffodils and the fragrance thereof. For me narcissus and daffodil have slightly different fragrances, but then I have an odd nose.

I looked to see if there was a thread for this (forgive me if there was, and move this, dear mods).

Any recommendations for a scent with daffs? I think maybe she's seeking a sunny spring sort of fragrance.

Kitsune-Tsuki smells like fresh, sweet daffodil in the bottle to me :-) Sadly, my skin chemistry turns it to something aptly described as "cherry Windex", but hopefully you won't have that problem. It's a glorious room scent.

Check the reviews for Asphodel. It smells of daffodils and other springtime flowers to me. :P

Szepasszony seemed to have a daffodil-like quality to me. :P Prague is crocuses, but it, too, has a similar "early spring" vibe to it.

Thank you all. Making lists. Asphodel was one I wanted to try myself, actually. And Kitsune-Tsuki sounds like it might be something my girl really might like; fruit notes do really well on her skin, so if it goes all cherry it might be okay (I had her try Blood Kiss the other day, which was ever too much cherry cough syrup for me--on her it's all complicated and sweet and spicy and nice). The one starting with S that I can't begin to spell has kind of interested me as well..

anyone have any other daffodilly preferences?

I think Asphodel is the ultimate daffodil BPAL! It is lovely indeed. Also, I think Eos might be a good one to try. It doesn't have daffodil listed as a note, but it does have buttercup, and is a soft, glow-y sunny scent. I love it! Desdemona is another nice springtime fresh floral, and despite its name, Shadow Witch Orchid is very "daffodil" to my nose. Hope that helps! :P

and more thanks. It is interesting how we smell things differently (and how they smell differently on us--late at night, my syntax is getting all fractured).

Desdemona doesn't remind me of daffodils really but I should let my daughter try it out. I loved it (the lab sent a free imp of this one) but it was overwhelmingly sad, lovely but very heartbreaking. I did have daughter sniff it (we were talking of the sorrow I felt in it) and she did like it. Note to self: Must not be a selfish mama, share imp. (edit: girl shares her mommie's sensitivity; Desdemona too heartbreaking for her too)

Am going to have to go out and sniff crocuses. I didn't recall that they had much scent. Hmmm.

Thought I'd update, now that daughter has been testing out various received imps. (thanks for the recommendations).

Beautiful daughter thinks Asphodel is right on. (It doesn't smell like daffs to me, but it does to her, and that is what counts. Very nice on her too.)

She went "ick" to Kitsune-Tsuki, as being too floral (how, I ask, can you be too floral)--but I kind of like it in the imp anyway; haven't tried it on my skin, but am willing).

The girl fell all over a non daff smell though--ah, Jailbait!!!

Edited by jarvenpa

Alright BPAL junkies, I love daffodils. Looooooove them. Deep underneath the tacky-goth exterior within my dark little heart a special place beats just for those goofy lookin' yellow flowers.

And now that spring is fading fast into Summer, I'm wondering if there is a magical BPAL scent that can help me hold on to them all year long.

I really like the way they smell - it's a faint smell, a pale yellow-green smell, that I associate with those perfect sunny mornings when everything is too warm to have any hint of winter left, yet cool and breezy and fresh before the summer settles in all dusty and hot.

I've done some searching for daffodils on the BPAL site under all of the common names, as well as all the flowers in the same family - Narcissus, Jonquil, Paperwhite, and Buttercups. This is the list I have of BPAL scents that use Narcissus-related flowers as a note:

Hades

Exhibition I: Orpheus

Exhibition II: Melancholia

Faiza's Companions: The Snake Pit - Cottonmouth

Darkness

House of Night

Hellion

Hunger

Languor

Pride

Poission D'Avril

Kitsune-Tsuki

Marquise De Merteuil

Blue Moon 2007

Eos

Baneberry (a related plant)

Does anyone know in which of these the narcissus/daffodil notes are most noticeable?

Or are there other scents out there that remind people of these flowers?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

I love daffodils & their kin, too - really, all those spring bulb-blooming flowers, but the heady smell of paperwhites makes me weak in the knees.

From the list you compiled, I get the most daffodil/jonquil et al. fragrance from Langour, which is an extremely heady floral on me, and Pride, which I love in the bottle but which sadly contains a varietal of rose that doesn't work on me.

The search engine didn't pick up Eshe for you, I think because of the plural (the notes are embalming herbs, black myrrh, white sandalwood, black orchid, paperwhites, tomb dust, and Moroccan jasmine) - I get a huge cloud of paperwhite from this one, the most of any BPAL scent I have tried.

The narcissus in Hades is gorgeous - I'd describe it as the Goth chick's perfect narcissus, because the scent is dark and sexy and rich, but you have that bright floral note holding things together.

Nothing else in your list is dominantly daffodilly on me... House of Night doesn't actually have any narcissus - if you read the poem in the description carefully, it's one of the flowers that dies from sadness as the dark, melancholy trees and plants take over the garden, and it's those notes that are actually in the perfume. (It's a fabulous blend though!) Eos is dominantly honeysuckle, Marquis de Merteuil has vetiver which amps on me to the detriment of everything else, Melancholia is mostly lilac - but you know, you have to try them all anyway, because your chemistry could be different, you could love one or all of them even if you don't get the notes you expect, and BPAL is like Pokemon - gotta get 'em all. :P

Eos would be my first and strongest suggestion. Though I will temper the suggestion with ... if you don't like jasmine, it probably won't be your friend. The jasmine is definitely there, though it's fairly well-behaved in Eos.

My second would be Cottonmouth. I'm still waiting to see how it ages (though so far it's aging beautifully). The narcissus and calla lily hold their own fairly well with the red musk and patchouli of the Snake Oil. It's more spicy than you're going to find in a daffodil, but the spice suits the strongly scented narcissus quite well.

For me, Kitsune-Tsuki's daffodil get's crushed into submission by the plum. Which is sad, becuase in the bottle, I quite like it. I just don't really want to smell like I was rolling around in fresh plums. *grins*

I would also add the Limited Editions of Flower Moon (2005), Snow Moon (2005), and Pink Moon 2005 as potentials for finding your daffodil, especially the Flower Moon.

My personal affection is for the paperwhite variety, but I definitely can relate to your love for those cheerful little yellow flowers. :P

I hope that this helps!

Thank you both so much for your advice. Your descriptions really give me a better idea of what I'd like to try.

And thank you, ivyandpeony for the correction on House of Night.

Languor sounds gorgeous, as does Eos. I don't usually go for strongly floral perfumes, but I like the individual floral notes so much the descriptions make me swoon.

I never would have picked Hades as a scent with a strong or dominant narcissus note. I will definitely be trying that one. Eshe, as well.

And now I have a list of things to look for in sales/swaps.

Thank you, again. This is very helpful.

Bpal narcissus was a big surprise to me - it's not just a floral I can do, but the only one I positively love, apart from orange flowers, which though gorgeous I began being bored of.

My favorite is Hades, but Darkness and Hunger follow very close. They are all pure daffodil to me, just with a different attitude.

The Ides of March, after aging, is mainly jonquil - a fresh one. I've ordered a imp of Languor, and I can't wait to try Virgo - being a Virgo myself, but I'll be likely on holiday and far from any internet access when it will be released.

I suppose this thread is a testament to how different BPAL can be on different people's skin!

For me, Kitsune-Tsuki is noticeably daffodil-y (part of what I like about it!) with the plums very sweet but less prominent than the florals. If you like sweet, fruity florals, Kitsune-Tsuki is one of my absolute favorites in that class.

Eos, on the other hand, is primarily jasmine with skin musk on me, but I do tend to amp some musks. I had high hopes for that one and ended up not liking it at all!

Snow Maiden is fruity with berries but it does have daffodil in it too - I absolutely adore this one. You may also want to try The Darkling Thrush which is very similar to Snow Maiden minus the berries. They're both LE Yule 2006 fragrances :P

Alright BPAL junkies, I love daffodils. Looooooove them. Deep underneath the tacky-goth exterior within my dark little heart a special place beats just for those goofy lookin' yellow flowers.

And now that spring is fading fast into Summer, I'm wondering if there is a magical BPAL scent that can help me hold on to them all year long.

I really like the way they smell - it's a faint smell, a pale yellow-green smell, that I associate with those perfect sunny mornings when everything is too warm to have any hint of winter left, yet cool and breezy and fresh before the summer settles in all dusty and hot.

I've done some searching for daffodils on the BPAL site under all of the common names, as well as all the flowers in the same family - Narcissus, Jonquil, Paperwhite, and Buttercups. This is the list I have of BPAL scents that use Narcissus-related flowers as a note:

Does anyone know in which of these the narcissus/daffodil notes are most noticeable?

Or are there other scents out there that remind people of these flowers?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

For me, Eos is the one where the daffodil/narcissus scent is the most apparent (bear in mind that I haven't tried Poisson d'Avril, the Salon scents, or Pride). Baneberry smelled of nothing but waxy berries, Hunger of orange blossoms, Kitsune-Tsuki of tea, House of Night smelled like a florist's cooler, etc.

Eos was pure daffodils; just beautful. :P

Oh my gosh, Asphodel!! It's a light, delicate, spring-bulb-flower smell. I think you'd love it; it smells like all those flowers you mentioned. Plus it's still got goth cred. :P And it's a GC, too (Rappacini's Garden)!

Oh my gosh, Asphodel!! It's a light, delicate, spring-bulb-flower smell. I think you'd love it; it smells like all those flowers you mentioned. Plus it's still got goth cred. :D And it's a GC, too (Rappacini's Garden)!

Excellent call! :P I'd also second the suggestions for Eos. And although it's different, if you like fresh, early-spring florals you might also like Dormouse...the peony is so clean and bright and just gorgeous in that one.

I'd like to second or third the recommendation I saw for Asphodel. Also... if you can find some... how about Et Lux Fuit? That smells very daffodil-y to my nose.

I love the smell of Hyacinths and Daffodils. I usuallly don't like florals but I guess I need Spring to arrive soon. Any recommendations for a light, not perfumey Spring flower scent. Something true and breezy. Like smelling a bouguet of fresh flowers.

I had an imp of Amsterdam, which I know is tulip, but I remember that it faded quickly. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by DeniseScan

I love the smell of Hyacinths and Daffodils. I usuallly don't like florals but I guess I need Spring to arrive soon. Any recommendations for a light, not perfumey Spring flower scent. Something true and breezy.

I had an imp of Amsterdam, which I know is tulip, but I remember that it faded quickly. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

My go-to Daffodil scent is The Owens' Tomb. It has a slightly "grey" edge to it (sorry, don't know how to describe the smell!) that is supposed to be representative of tomb dust, but I don't find that it detracts from the prettiness at all. If anything it keeps it from smelling as overwhelming as florals usually do to me. I have the same problem with Amsterdam vanishing nearly instantly on me, but The Owens' Tomb has a much better wear length, in my opinion.

If you can find it, Her Voice is gorgeous - I can't usually wear florals, but Her Voice is fresh & cool & beautiful, like walking into a florists' cooler at Easter :wub2:

Egle's is a pretty distinctive smelling hyacinth. My personal favorite is Ladon, and it is very lovely and heady smelling, with a crisp apple to balance things out.