Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jarvenpa

Daffodils, Narcissus, Paperwhites... and Hyacinth

I can't remember how to spell it but kitsune was nice I can't wear floras but that one was beautiful!

That'd be Kitsune-Tsuki-- check out out, I highly recommend it as well.

I swear to god there is grape hyacinth in High John the Conqueror. Along with some other light florals and honey...

I'm absolutely in love with Hades, but the labdanum kinda takes over and gives it a much less pure fragrance. I adore Asphodel, but can't seem to get my hands on a bottle now that it's discontinued. I am hoping maybe there's a newer scent that wasn't in this thread that will meet my narcissus/daffodil needs?

Three recent scents to add to the Narcissus list...

The First Soft Snow (Yule 2009): Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter's narcissus.

Signior Dildo (Lupercalia 2010): A scent of pearls and ivory: orris, violet leaf, narcissus, and Madagascar vanilla.

Kaidan (Irredeemable): Rosehip, plum blossom, white sandalwood, jonquil, and amber-laden incense.

if you can find a 2006 version of beltane (not to be confused w/ other years, which i can't vouch for...) it is a fantastic sunny daffodill-y scent....

Edited by AliBabble

if you can find a 2006 version of beltane (not to be confused w/ other years, which i can't vouch for...) it is a fantastic sunny daffodill-y scent....

that sounds beautiful!

My mother in law loves hyacinth, so I am always on the lookout for it. I just got her Poisson d'Avril, available right now until May 8th. I have also given her Grief (ha ha) and I saw hyacinth listed in Egle, these are GCs from Marchen I believe.

1335499361[/url]' post='2146364']

My mother in law loves hyacinth, so I am always on the lookout for it. I just got her Poisson d'Avril, available right now until May 8th. I have also given her Grief (ha ha) and I saw hyacinth listed in Egle, these are GCs from Marchen I believe.

Thank you sooo much. I'm gonna order the Poisson d' Avril. Yahoo!

Woo hoo I get to recommend one of my favorite GCs!

Ladon: dragon’s blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth.

If DBR works on your skin, this is a great appley blend with a strong hyacinth note. It has a ton of throw (on me, at least) and is one of the perfumes I get the most unsolicited compliments on. :)

1335508009[/url]' post='2146396']

Woo hoo I get to recommend one of my favorite GCs!

Ladon: dragon's blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth.

If DBR works on your skin, this is a great appley blend with a strong hyacinth note. It has a ton of throw (on me, at least) and is one of the perfumes I get the most unsolicited compliments on. :)

Thank you astarinel. How are you? I finally got around to leaving feedback for you. I'm sorry it took me so long. It was very positive though. I should have asked this question a month ago! I think I've used oils with DBR in them without any problems. I will be tracking this one down. I will let you know how I make out!

Luck and Laughter,Tricia

Hyacinth is such a lovely fragrance! Unfortunately florals are not my friend, but here's what a quick search found...

In the GC:

Egle (Marchen)

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

Grief (Marchen)

Inconsolable: lily of the valley, hyacinth, calamus, muguet, hydrangea, and elemi.

And some LEs which might be a little harder to find (try posting an ISO for decants or testers) -

Stardust '05 and '06

champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.

Kindly Moon

Utterly ethereal, an exquisite expression of love: moonflower, lotus root, white gardenia, beeswax, peach blossom, blue musk, stargazer lily, golden osmanthus, ti, sandalwood, hyacinth, ylang ylang, and a touch of vanilla bean.

Whirling Wind Moon

Dreams of joy and fear: swirling dark and airy musks, mogra, plumeria, hyacinth, lily of the valley, dry white sandalwood, gardenia, pale amber, and oakmoss.

Fire Phoenix

Chinese musk and red musk with hyacinth, cactus flower, cubeb berry, galangal, tobacco, pink pepper, and sarsaparilla.

Wilhelmina Murray

Tea rose, white sandalwood and a flurry of pale, virginal blossoms, smeared with a smoky, blood-soiled blend of myrrh, hyacinth, Daemonorops resin, dark musk and blackcurrant.

The Gibbous Moon

Moonflower, Madonna lily, orris, white ginger, cucumber, hyacinth, and Irish moss.

Her Voice (Lupercalia)

Hyacinth, beeswax, wild roses, vanilla amber, lily of the valley, tiger lily, honeysuckle, carnation, and heliotrope.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

1335525943[/url]' post='2146418']

Hyacinth is such a lovely fragrance! Unfortunately florals are not my friend, but here's what a quick search found...

In the GC:

Egle (Marchen)

Ocean water, hyacinth petals, star jasmine, and fir.

Grief (Marchen)

Inconsolable: lily of the valley, hyacinth, calamus, muguet, hydrangea, and elemi.

And some LEs which might be a little harder to find (try posting an ISO for decants or testers) -

Stardust '05 and '06

champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy. Kindly Moon

Utterly ethereal, an exquisite expression of love: moonflower, lotus root, white gardenia, beeswax, peach blossom, blue musk, stargazer lily, golden osmanthus, ti, sandalwood, hyacinth, ylang ylang, and a touch of vanilla bean.

Whirling Wind Moon

Dreams of joy and fear: swirling dark and airy musks, mogra, plumeria, hyacinth, lily of the valley, dry white sandalwood, gardenia, pale amber, and oakmoss.

Fire Phoenix

Chinese musk and red musk with hyacinth, cactus flower, cubeb berry, galangal, tobacco, pink pepper, and sarsaparilla.

Wilhelmina Murray

Tea rose, white sandalwood and a flurry of pale, virginal blossoms, smeared with a smoky, blood-soiled blend of myrrh, hyacinth, Daemonorops resin, dark musk and blackcurrant.

The Gibbous Moon

Moonflower, Madonna lily, orris, white ginger, cucumber, hyacinth, and Irish moss.

Her Voice (Lupercalia)

Hyacinth, beeswax, wild roses, vanilla amber, lily of the valley, tiger lily, honeysuckle, carnation, and heliotrope.

Hi,I just saw someone in the sales section that had a bottle of Her voice. Idk if it was swaps only or what. I will have to look. It was o ly a day or two ago. The great thing is it is the main or base ingredient so I'm sure to get that amazing smell that I wait all year for u til Easter rolls around to buy them. I guess that's why I love the scent even more. I'm thinking about force growing them. You put the bulbs in the glass holder and water.Maybe I can start scanning the pages for imps and decants of my recommendations. Thanks so much Sunshine !

Luck and Laughter Tricia

And definitely get the Poisson d'Avril if you can it is gorgeous.

My MIL said she absolutely got Hyacinth from Grief, and she used to be a perfumer so her nose is very good, not busted like mine B)

Oooh I did not realize Ladon had hyacinth, I am pulling out my imp right now to try it...

I have hyacinths all over my flower beds, they just went away this week, but they are perennials so they will come back.

Edited by stellamaris

Fire Phoenix has a very strong hyacinth component while wet, though it varies how much it lingers when dry. It's a complicated blend, and really nice.

1335661913[/url]' post='2147057']

Fire Phoenix has a very strong hyacinth component while wet, though it varies how much it lingers when dry. It's a complicated blend, and really nice.

Thanks for the heads up! Your pic looks just like one of my cats. His name is Bowie. He was a feral cat that my husband rescued. He is getting really fat, but he has a home now and is happy. Two of our cats were feral. The other we got from a non profit shelter/ kennel we use. Our dog came from the city pound that grew on my husband and daughter when they volunteered there. We also donate to our SPCA and I donate monthly to The Humane Society of the United States. Sorry totally off topic. Is that your cat?

I think I might have a imp of Fire Phoenix. The name seems familiar. If I find it I will let you know how I made out with it.

Luck and laughter,Tricia

Thanks for the heads up! Your pic looks just like one of my cats. His name is Bowie. He was a feral cat that my husband rescued. He is getting really fat, but he has a home now and is happy. Two of our cats were feral. The other we got from a non profit shelter/ kennel we use. Our dog came from the city pound that grew on my husband and daughter when they volunteered there. We also donate to our SPCA and I donate monthly to The Humane Society of the United States. Sorry totally off topic. Is that your cat?

Unfortunately no, the cat's just a picture that I found online, but it does remind me of my own cat (who I have little luck photographing). All of my pets came from similar situations - two dogs and a cat from shelters/rescues, one cat who was a stray who arrived on the doorstep with a kitten in her mouth. Ended up bringing four under the guest room bed. :lol: Only had room for two of the kittens though, the others ended up with friends.

eta: Also just saw your other topic, and Fire Phoenix does have beautiful red musk, so if that's the component you love so much, it's definitely worth hunting down.

Edited by Dusk

1335721743[/url]' post='2147247']
1335676073[/url]' post='2147116']

Unfortunately no, the cat's just a picture that I found online, but it does remind me of my own cat (who I have little luck photographing). All of my pets came from similar situations - two dogs and a cat from shelters/rescues, one cat who was a stray who arrived on the doorstep with a kitten in her mouth. Ended up bringing four under the guest room bed. :lol: Only had room for two of the kittens though, the others ended up with friends.

eta: Also just saw your other topic, and Fire Phoenix does have beautiful red musk, so if that's the component you love so much, it's definitely worth hunting down.

So let me get this straight fire Phoenix has red musk and hyacinth ? If it does it will probably be my all time favorite. Is it hard to come by? Could you point me in the right direction?Awe, I can't believe how cute but sad it must have been to see the cat with a kitten in her mouth. I'm glad you found homes for them. I just love animals. I'm a real advocate for adoption especially older animals that usually get overlooked.Thanks for the great story and the heads up on the oil.

Luck and laughter,Tricia

For as long as I can remember I have LOVED the smell and colors of Hyacinth flowers.

I adore the mythology behind it, the 'bromance' between Apollo And Hyacinthus :heart:

A lot of perfumes I have sniffed that try to emulate it are pretty sub-par or make them smell too sour, cloying, or wilted *COUGH*Penhaligon's Bluebell*COUGH*

I own Grief and love it, but it is unfortunately one of those BPAL scents that just don't throw or last on me. I don't mind too much, as I enjoy it while it's there.

I also have Egle, probably the best perfume I own with Hyacinth in it. It throws and lasts very well. It can just be very sweet!

Recently I got my hands on Whirling Wind Moon (2013) and a decant of the earlier one (2008?) and found the 2013 had a stronger hyacinth note while in the 2008 version it was more in the background.

This could easily be the age difference and the added ginger note in the 2013 version. I do love both, though.

I love the ones I have, but that said they are not the Hyacinth I am seeking.

I don't mind the mild blue sweet-sour scent that has become the main stream version.

Hyacinth is the best at smelling sad, given the story behind its namesake. I just want something closer to what's in my garden, greener and spicier than the BPAL oils I have now.

The closest right now is Egle, but it is a bit cloying.

I am nonbinary and while I do not gender-label perfume oils and consider everything unisex, I prefer to smell what can be deemed 'masculine.'

Suggestions of anything outside of BPAL are also welcome.

Any tips on layering? What can amp Grief? What can calm Egle down?

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

Sea of Glass is the absolute perfect hyacinth. It's like an olfactory photograph. It's definitely floral, so I don't know if it would be to your taste, but it's a GC so you can easily get a sample to test.