Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fishwomon

Love an Aveda scent or shampoo, looking for a BPAL that's similar?

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil similar to Aveda's Love oil? The primary notes in Love, according to the Aveda website, are rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, and sandalwood. I don't think of myself as liking florals, but Love is grounded and, well, lovely. I always want to run it in my hair.

Thank you.

I smelled that one once, but I don't remember it very well. I'm thinking either Namaste or Queen Mab would be good.

Rock on! I have Namaste coming in a swap (and, as a yogini, I'm psyched). I'll have to try some more from your list redhead. I'm continually amazed about how many oils there are to try and how I keep hearing of new ones. I tried Queen Mab but found it too sweet and perfume-y on me. It's off to a happy home elsewhere. :P

I always feel like such a rat recommending discontinued scents :P , but Black Widow reminds me very much of Love.

:D  :P

Oh, I may have to go begging for some Black Widow now.

Love your sig line, btw, heartbeast.

Check Fairywingmaker's sale page ^^ It has some!

--Mystina

PS: Is Love anything like Lush's Fever?

Thanks, Pixie-elf! I PMed her.

Alas I've never smelled Lush (impossible, I know), so I can't answer your question. :P

first off i am a girl

and i don't like too many perfumes

i prefer oils

though over the years i've gotten into just a few commercial scents

the latest being Aveda MEN

and i get so many compliments when i wear it (even from my mom haha)

they call their perfumes 'pure-fumes' for they're not as chemically as many other commercially bottled smells

so if anyone happens to know what this smells like and can recommend a bpal oil to use in place of it (even a mixture of more than one) i will be very very happy

aveda wears off too fast anyway

i like a lot of their smells though and will probably be posting more in the forum asking if anyone's discovered other similar oils to aveda smells... like shampure. and chakra V: creativity.

cheers

marzstar

hmm should i edit my post or just reply?

well i am going to reply.

been a mad smelling fiend

tonight i was blessed with an imp of casanova and i like it a lot

i think it's a cousin of aveda men

i will have to bond with it a bit, wear it more, see how it settles on me, and compare it more. . . though it's a definite candidate

i'm tempted to mix it with something - to make it more right on - first thought was embalming fluid, but i am going to wait a bit and see how it works a bit more before i blend it - for it may be more right on that at first sniff

note - i also tried on white rabbit at the same time, which i also love, and btw i think they go nicely together. though as they are wafting up together into my nostrils, it may be this combo that's creating the aveda men's blend thing . . .

will spend some time with both of these and get back to this post

at least i am happy to report that i have just found 2 more bpal oils for my LOVE list and they are both on the more masculine side too, (that is, i think. for wr seems to be drying a bit more milky. . . which makes it less manly but OMG i might have to get a big one of this... and the other...)

I've never tried Aveda MEN, but I can tell you that the sleep forumla Nanshe smells like something out of an Aveda shop. :P

Edited by Abberlaine Arrol

I've always thought that the Sephiroth oils smell a lot like Aveda scents, especially Hod, Malkuth and Kether. Of the three, there was one in particular but I can't remember specifically which one...but there's something about that series...

oh thanks you two :P

i just saw that you replied

weee

I've never tried Aveda MEN, but I can tell you that the sleep forumla Nanshe smells like something out of an Aveda shop. :D
I've always thought that the Sephiroth oils smell a lot like Aveda scents, especially Hod, Malkuth and Kether. Of the three, there was one in particular but I can't remember specifically which one...but there's something about that series...

i'm a newbie, just recieved my first imps recently, and really didn't like ANY of them.

i got jezebel, lolita, and forbidden fruit (all from the love potions line) and had such high hopes, but alas, no satisfaction. jezebel smelled like baby powder, lolita like my grandmother, and forbidden fruit like candy. i'm not sure which notes turned me off in each of these, so i'm looking for some help. i just KNOW bpal has something to offer me!

i like sharp scents that are sweet but not soft. though i do love honeysuckle. also, i'm very much in love with aveda. and all of their products, from perfume to shampoo (even their makeup!) has this underlying "aveda" smell. anyone know how to place this? i'd describe it as "earthy" maybe?

i realize "sharp" and "earthy" are pretty different. just trying to tip someone off to something they might recommend for me.

thanks in advance for any advice!

looking through some of the honeysuckle and tea threads, i've come across some i want to try:

new orleans

embalming fluid

gennivre

amsterdam

anyone think these are up my alley? i'm most certainly going to get shanghai...it sounded perfect. these others i'm curious about.

If you like sharp and sweet, you might like Knave of Hearts or Poisoned Apple.

New Orleans is heavy on the honeysuckle so that might be good.

I have a friend who had used one of Aveda's conditioners and I could have sworn she was wearing Spellbound. It is one of my faves and definitely has an underlying "herbal" smell. It's rose, amber and I think red musk. Not too rosy, but sweet and the musk gives it a sharp edge.

Hah, I've been wanting the same thing!

Although I specifically want whatever they spray my hair with after I get my hair cut there... I always thought of it as sandalwood, but maybe it's more verbena (I know, they smell nothing the same, I'm just weird).

Oh, and by the way, Shanghai did NOT do it for me, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for either. It's definitely sharp, but I though waaaay sharper than Aveda, and much more... antiseptic. I bet others will disagree with me, but just to let you know.

Edited by PersephonesChild

Pulling notes from Aveda's website I see sandalwood, jasmine, rose, ylang ylang, lavender, vanilla, petitgrain, vetiver, and bergamot, with lavender being in nearly every scent. Though not all of their notes, it is a pretty good sampling from their most popular scents. I suspect the sharpness you're getting is from the lavender and vetiver.

They both appear in:

Death on a Pale Horse - white musk, mint, lavender, patchouli, vetiver, yuzu, lime, geranium bourbon, white sandalwood and calla lily.

The Scales of Deprivation - lemon peel, white sage, frankincense, lavender fougere, sandalwood, vetiver and labdanum.

Bluebeard - Violet, lavender, white musk and vetiver.

You may also like:

Arcana - Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and lemon verbena.

Veil - White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Twilight - Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

Calliope - Lavender and mint with bergamot, verbena, thyme, sweet orange and warm almond.

Namaste - Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

The Caterpillar - Heavy incense notes waft lazily through a mix of carnation, jasmine, bergamot, and neroli over a lush bed of dark mosses, iris blossom, deep patchouli and indolent vetiver.

Hello fellow Aveda fan! I recommend looking up scents that have rosemary, lavender, ylang ylang, sandalwood and/or vanilla in them. Strangely, Wulric the Wolfman (cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus) is oddly Aveda-like once you get past the cocoa.

wow! thanks, guys! this has all been a great help! i'm glad to see so many other aveda fans on this forum, and i never would've guessed to look for those specific ingredients. it definitely helps me narrow my search a bit.

i already ordered six imps on a whim and somewhat blindly, so i hope they work out....it was mostly stuff that sounded on the sweet side: new orleans, amsterdam, tiger lily, sundew, shanghai, and the other one is alluding me.

my next order will include the above recommendations, although there are elements of each that scare me off. i have a feeling i'm making my decisions too carefully and avoiding things i might possibly like in the process. i don't have a lot of knowledge as to what different things smell like, so basing my choices on what i DO know limits me. like musk? i associate musk with perfume my grandma used to wear and i have a feeling i don't actually know what it means :P

Hah, I've been wanting the same thing!

Although I specifically want whatever they spray my hair with after I get my hair cut there... I always thought of it as sandalwood, but maybe it's more verbena (I know, they smell nothing the same, I'm just weird).

Oh, and by the way, Shanghai did NOT do it for me, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for either. It's definitely sharp, but I though waaaay sharper than Aveda, and much more... antiseptic. I bet others will disagree with me, but just to let you know.

aww! that's too bad! i was most excited about that one because of everyone's input that it smelled like green tea. i know nothing about my body chemistry so i've yet to figure out what works and what doesn't. i hope i don't have the same experience!

i don't have a lot of knowledge as to what different things smell like, so basing my choices on what i DO know limits me. like musk? i associate musk with perfume my grandma used to wear and i have a feeling i don't actually know what it means :P

The different musks that Beth uses are very different from each other. If they weren't labelled as such, I'd never guess that the white, red, and black musks are all 'musk.' So if you try one that's too grandma, don't let it scare you from the others!

The different musks that Beth uses are very different from each other. If they weren't labelled as such, I'd never guess that the white, red, and black musks are all 'musk.' So if you try one that's too grandma, don't let it scare you from the others!

do you have a description as to what any of the musks smell like?

I agree with Kraken and fatalbellydance that a key element in a lot of Aveda blend's is lavender. I have tons of Aveda products and perfumes and they all tend to share that herbal aroma. I went to try on BPAL's Scales of Deprivation so that I could test it and it seems to either be misplaced or I don't have it :P if that's at all possible. Oh, I just realized that fatalbellydance mentioned that one. So, I tried on Bow and Crown of Conquest and the combination of lavender and vanilla reminded me of one of the signature scents that they had mixed for me one time. I would definitely try some of the BPAL blends with lavender and/or sage, rose, some citrus notes and perhaps frankincense.

Edited by portalkat

I agree with Kraken and fatalbellydance that a key element in a lot of Aveda blend's is lavender. I have tons of Aveda products and perfumes and they all tend to share that herbal aroma. I went to try on BPAL's Scales of Deprivation so that I could test it and it seems to either be misplaced or I don't have it :P if that's at all possible. Oh, I just realized that fatalbellydance mentioned that one. So, I tried on Bow and Crown of Conquest and the combination of lavender and vanilla reminded me of one of the signature scents that they had mixed for me one time. I would definitely try some of the BPAL blends with lavender and/or sage, rose, some citrus notes and perhaps frankincense.

see? case in point: i never would've guessed that lavender is the "aveda" smell i've noticed for so long. i guess i just don't have much context for what these things smell like outside of the typical stuff you buy at the store. which i suspect isn't usually the best frame of reference.