Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

I can't wait to try Hesoid's Phoenix. Looks like a great amber-vanilla...

Hesiod (Hesoid? It's spelled differently on the site vs. bottle, it's been driving me nuts) is the BOMB DIGGITY. Such a beautiful variation on typical vanilla. I get a really pure, vanilla-bean impression from it (as opposed to a foody baked goods thing).

I have tried many, many of the scents recommended in this thread, but I stumbled upon my perfect vanillic scent while looking for tea: Jareth. On me it's mainly dark vanilla, leather, and soft spices. It is gorgeous.

I'm looking for some recommendations for vanilla florals (florals with tonka or benzoin are also good). I'm okay with most flowers, although orange blossom/neroli and heavier roses can be troublesome sometimes.

I'm looking for some recommendations for vanilla florals (florals with tonka or benzoin are also good). I'm okay with most flowers, although orange blossom/neroli and heavier roses can be troublesome sometimes.

My first thought was Lyonesse, but you probably have already tried that one.

My first thought was Lyonesse, but you probably have already tried that one.

I have tried Lyonesse. I enjoyed the vanilla/lily aspect, but the moss and sandalwood base went very dry on me for some reason.

I think it depends on what you want - is it the floral aspect that you're most interested in, with vanilla as a backdrop... or vanilla at the fore with subtle floral tones? And are you looking for sweet florals like Mouse's Long & Sad Tale, or... ?

I was thinking of Liz for a nice neutral vanilla with subtle hints of floral but a nice smokey/leathery undertone - have you tried that one?

I would recommend Joyful Moon or Celeste. They're a little harder to find but great.

1395015289[/url]' post='2412697']

My first thought was Lady Death: Savage. :D

I was thinking of Liz for a nice neutral vanilla with subtle hints of floral but a nice smokey/leathery undertone - have you tried that one?

Liz is my favorite vanilla ever, but you have to like that incense-y leathery note.

I think Reflected Vulva is the perfect vanilla floral, even though vanilla isn't on the note list. I swear its what it dries down too.

I think it depends on what you want - is it the floral aspect that you're most interested in, with vanilla as a backdrop... or vanilla at the fore with subtle floral tones? And are you looking for sweet florals like Mouse's Long & Sad Tale, or... ?

I haven't tried Liz, but soft leather can be good on me.

Hey Ya'll!! I have been on the hunt for a girly soft vanilla. People are giving recs of Liz but the smoke and incense part makes me a touch nervous. IS it prominent? I really LOVE the vanilla in pink snowballs and Sleep Now Darlings but i was wondering if you guys could think of something more spring and summery? Same girly awesome, but warmer. If that makes sense? I would be SO SO supah happy for any ideas you might have.

:wub2:

Hey Ya'll!! I have been on the hunt for a girly soft vanilla. People are giving recs of Liz but the smoke and incense part makes me a touch nervous. IS it prominent? I really LOVE the vanilla in pink snowballs and Sleep Now Darlings but i was wondering if you guys could think of something more spring and summery? Same girly awesome, but warmer. If that makes sense? I would be SO SO supah happy for any ideas you might have.

Have you tried Dorian or Lyonesse? They're both fairly light.

Thank you!!! I've tried Dorian and is on my top 5 but for some reason The other just didn't work on me. It was too aquatic or something. *cries*

Thank you!!! I've tried Dorian and is on my top 5 but for some reason The other just didn't work on me. It was too aquatic or something. *cries*

I had the same experience. Even as someone who likes aquatics Lyonesse was too weirdly salty-sweet for me. :)

Maybe give Tamora a shot? It's "amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean" which came off as a touch shampoo-ish to me, but it's soft and suitable for warmer weather. Also, even though it doesn't have vanilla listed, Morocco has always come across as gentle vanilla to me, with a touch of spice. It's one of my favorites. Then there's Mouse's Long and Sad Tale (vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood) if you like sweet pea.

As for LEs, Loosening of the Obi is almost too pretty to put into words (rice wine, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, and white musk). I wouldn't recommend it unless you at least somewhat enjoy white musk and resinous scents, but it's so dreamy and smooth. Some people amp the rice wine, so care for that, but it was a pretty perfect vanilla with my chemistry.

I'd give Kitty (french vanilla, tot house orchids, strawberries, white sandalwood, bergamot, and honey) a shot as well. It definitely falls into the feminine and summery category. Too floral for me, but that's just my personal preferences speaking.

Ha! I think we might have the same chemistry! Tamara was nice but a touch shampoo-y as well on me!

I think I am going to go on a hunt now for loosening of the obi. I like resins and the sounds SO lovely!! I thought that Kitty might have been too sweet but I think I'm going to go on a search for that as well. Have you tried the vanilla in Lady Una? Because we might be chemistry twins I wonder if you get the "cat pee" people mention.

Ha! I think we might have the same chemistry! Tamara was nice but a touch shampoo-y as well on me!

I think I am going to go on a hunt now for loosening of the obi. I like resins and the sounds SO lovely!! I thought that Kitty might have been too sweet but I think I'm going to go on a search for that as well. Have you tried the vanilla in Lady Una? Because we might be chemistry twins I wonder if you get the "cat pee" people mention.

Go figure! Yeah, Obi is really gorgeous but not too hard to find for a LE - hope you enjoy it. Kitty wasn't overwhelming like some florals are, but I'm just not crazy for them in general, so if you have even a minor tolerance it could definitely be a winner. ;)

I don't believe I've tried Lady Una. I can say that BPAL's blackberry and honey are usually no-gos for me. The blackberry can indeed smell too astringent and cloying (found that out with Bewitched), while unfortunately honey goes plastic-y. I literally haven't found one BPAL honey blend that works on me, except for Variety of Pleasing Amusements (though I admit even that verges on being too much). Green tea is fine though.

I didn't have any luck getting vanilla from Liz. It didn't smell like much of anything on me except maybe chamomile. Have you tried Mouse's Long and Sad Tale? It's girly and soft and pink vanilla. Also, I know Snow White is a Yule, but I think it's an awesome summery scent. Tiki Princess, too, if you can find it- Snow White + summery coconutty-ness.

I fell in love with the vanilla scent in Wen Sixthirteen. It's described as "lemon rosemary vanilla". To me it smells like a slightly warm/bakery vanilla, with a hint of herb and lemon. It comes across almost more like lemongrass than full on lip puckering lemon. I went through many of my bpal's trying to find something similar, but since I normally dislike lemon scents I don't have anything close. Can anyone make a recommendation for scents?

I fell in love with the vanilla scent in Wen Sixthirteen. It's described as "lemon rosemary vanilla". To me it smells like a slightly warm/bakery vanilla, with a hint of herb and lemon. It comes across almost more like lemongrass than full on lip puckering lemon. I went through many of my bpal's trying to find something similar, but since I normally dislike lemon scents I don't have anything close. Can anyone make a recommendation for scents?

Ooh, this sounds very similar to Delight & Consternation. It was essentially a vanilla lemon tart to me. It doesn't have the herbal aspect but should be pretty close.

Rigorous Love could fit as well. It has a bit more complexity than the blend you're describing, with coconut, anise and orchid, but it also has a soft lemongrass.

Ooh, this sounds very similar to Delight & Consternation. It was essentially a vanilla lemon tart to me. It doesn't have the herbal aspect but should be pretty close.

Rigorous Love could fit as well. It has a bit more complexity than the blend you're describing, with coconut, anise and orchid, but it also has a soft lemongrass.

Thank you, I'll check both of those out.

Any recommendations for intense, warm vanilla? I really love the warm amber+vanilla combo in Lyonesse, but my skin just eats it up completely and it's gone within an hour. Same goes for the vanilla in Hunger. My skin loves jasmine and amps it, so anything involving jasmine will dominate over everything else. Any thoughts? I was thinking about trying Dorian, admittedly.

Dorian to me isn't that warm, but it is lovely. The lemon note cools the scent quite markedly, even though it doesn't tend to be all that noticeable.

I suggest you try Tombstone - probably aged, though I think fresh is lovely because the sarsaparilla is just gorgeous to my nose. It is a beautiful warm vanilla with touches of woods and of course, sarsaparilla. Also if you're not afraid of patchouli I suggest giving Goblin a go; the coconut and benzoin give the patchouli an amazing creaminess that really smells like white chocolate and marshmallows.

(I might really love warm vanillas)

Also for me, the perfect warm vanilla is Banshee Beat, though getting your hands on an imp might be difficult. If you were in Aus I'd send you an almost empty bottle I have to test from, but as is, $15 for an empty to the US just seems weird. XD I had a new friend sniff me wearing it last night and she said I smelled like stepping into a Lush store (I'm not sure what that means, as I haven't actually been to one, though I own lots of their stuff)!

ETA: Oh, and if you haven't tried Snake Oil yet, definitely try that one. It just gets warmer and more vanillic as time goes by. Definitely look into that one.

Edited by Fuhrankie

Not sure if I should make a thread or not, but does anyone know of any aquatic vanillas? List all of the ones you are familiar with, if so... I'm really curious!