Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

The Lights of Men's Lives (I linked so that you can read the reviews) may work... to me it is a lot sweeter than the description sounds, so it definitely has a "vanilla-and-candles" feel, in my opinion.

Lyonesse doesn't seem to exactly fit the bill, but is quite popular and a different take on vanilla....

The Lights of Men's Lives is already on my wishlist but not for this reason, oddly enough =p I wanted it for my beeswax fix. The reviews I've read say that it's mostly pure beeswax with some vanilla but no smoke? I guess I just need to try it, huh? =]

I counted after doing a search on the word "smoke" within the review topic (not counting the reviewers who said something like "I don't smell smoke at all"), and around 25 of the reviewers did smell at least a hint of smoke in The Lights of Men's Lives. It's been a long time since I tested it, and I don't think I did perceive the smoke note, but it looks like some people did. :)

Well since I plan to try it anyways I guess it would be a nice surprise to get a wee bit of smoke in the mix anyways (I'm a light smoke fan) ;p

The first thing that came to mind for me was Morocco. The list of notes doesn't even mention vanilla, but I get exactly the vibe you're describing.

"The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia."

The incenses are smoky and the warm desert breezes are dry, I guess. I think the warm musk with the spices are what read as vanilla.

This is on my Want list as well! Not for the smokey vanilla factor though. I think I recall somebody saying that it reminded them of One N Only Argan Oil?? Is that true for anyone else? If it does smell even remotely close to that stuff I will swoon! I LOVE that scent. Mmmmm. And actually, now that I sniff it more, the argan oil does smell a bit smokey, almost burnt vanilla sugar-y. Yum.

My first thought was Tattered Lace. Very light airy vanilla.

Perhaps too light, by the sounds of it in the reviews. But it still sounds beautiful.

What about Mourning Lace?

I would say try Liz, I don't get floral from it, I do get a strong cigarette smell, but not cigarette smoke, actual tobacco. I don't find it unpleasant, and I am not a smoker.

Sprinklecake is really sweet.

Perversion is something I have mixed with super sweet stuff like Boo, to give it more "edge".

Al Azif is on the same lines as Morroco, but stronger to me.

It might be too heavy for what you want, but my first instinct on smoky vanilla is Antikytheria Mechanism. On me it starts out very strongly smoky, but after the first half hour dies back to a mild smoky vanilla with wood undertones.

If what you want is more airy vanilla, I will definitely second Morocco. I get almost no carnation from it, it's more of a straight-up dupe of Antique Lace on me; a warm, soft vanilla musk.

Have you considered Antikythera Mechanism - Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco?

I get smoky vanilla rather than actual tobacco, but it might not be airy enough for what you want.

Celeste!

It is precisely a light, airy vanilla. More like the thought of vanilla versus an actual, in your face extract. I'd describe it wispy, dreamy and soft. I think you'd like it a lot; worth tracking some down.

Yes, definitely Celeste! I kept on thinking of Arcana's Smoked Vanilla layering note, but really that reminds me of Celeste. It truly has an airy quality along with light smoke, yet it still has the sweetness of vanilla.

Try Chimera! Vanilla isn't a listed note, but it reads as vanilla to me alongside cinnamon and honeysuckle.

I only get beeswax from Light of Men's Lives.

I recommend Doc Constantine. Doc is showing up sometimes on the lab's Etsy page. Cathedral is similar, but a lot less smokey.

There's also Tombstone. It doesn't have a specific smoke note, but it might have the type of feel you're after.

If you can get Deer Antlers from Violette Market's Diablo Canyon 2012 collection... get me a bottle too. I found out about it two weeks too late.

I loveee the vanilla in Antikythera Mechanism. Dark, spicy, enveloping, and not foody at all.

I hate to bump this since its a tad old, but does anyone have recommendations for a nearly pure vanilla scent through BPAL, without having to get your hands on the ever elusive single note?

I've tried reading through these 19 pages, and have found recommendations for nearly every type of vanilla but just the pure scent without anything extra. I'd give extra super :wub2: and bonus points if the recs were GC, as opposed to LEs!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Have you considered Antikythera Mechanism - Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco?

I get smoky vanilla rather than actual tobacco, but it might not be airy enough for what you want.

The first time I ever applied this in the office (not wore it to work but actually applied it IN my cube), several coworkers flocked to sniff me. It's the only scent that ever caused that.

Honestly, Sugar Cookie 2005 start off as cookie dough on me, then dries down to a vanilla single note. Foody vanilla, but still very pure.

Of course, there's the vanilla rum SN as well as the rum tonka SN. A dry, sweet, slightly woody vanilla is aged Tombstone. :3

I love vanilla, it's just gorgeous. I would ADORE a proper single note of it.

I think Black Opal is as close to the perfect vanilla SN as it gets for me...The Girl also falls just behind black opal for that.

They are both very HTF though :/

Blossoms in Springtime (Vanilla bean and vanilla blossom, golden honey, antiqued amber, beeswax, copal, lotus blossom, and helichrysum) wet or dry, to my nose is pure creamy vanilla.

I hate to bump this since its a tad old, but does anyone have recommendations for a nearly pure vanilla scent through BPAL, without having to get your hands on the ever elusive single note?

I've tried reading through these 19 pages, and have found recommendations for nearly every type of vanilla but just the pure scent without anything extra. I'd give extra super :wub2: and bonus points if the recs were GC, as opposed to LEs!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I know it varies for all of us, but for me the purest, simplest vanilla is Detestable Putrescence. You can find it here: http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/gris.html

I read through to up to page ten but most of the talk for the last few pages were more talking about scents for husbands and boyfriends so I decided i'd just reply and see what sort of replies I get.

BPAL are my first oil perfumes ever. The only perfume I ever liked before was Hypnotic Poison which I found to be a burnt vanilla that wasn't sickly sweet but rather rich in a sort of baked slightly burnt cookie way.

I already have Imps of O, Eclipse, Ravenous, Snake Oil, Mme. Moriarty, Zarita the doll girl, Snow White, Eclipse, and Dorian on the way. I also already purchased a bottle of Hunger. Can anyone give me some other suggestions?

Edited by Honey Girl

I read through to up to page ten but most of the talk for the last few pages were more talking about scents for husbands and boyfriends so I decided i'd just reply and see what sort of replies I get.

BPAL are my first oil perfumes ever. The only perfume I ever liked before was Hypnotic Poison which I found to be a burnt vanilla that wasn't sickly sweet but rather rich in a sort of baked slightly burnt cookie way.

I already have Imps of O, Eclipse, Ravenous, Snake Oil, Mme. Moriarty, Zarita the doll girl, Snow White, Eclipse, and Dorian on the way. I also already purchased a bottle of Hunger. Can anyone give me some other suggestions?

It's been years since I sniffed the Diors, so I can't recall distinctly which Poison smells like what, but you might try Antikythera Mechanism for a rich, dark vanilla, and Belle Epoque for a classy, intoxicating vanilla blend. AM is also a good one to try because I've found that several limited edition amazing vanilla smells use that same vanilla, so it's nice to be able to read a review and see the reference and know what it means.

I am desperately in love with Waltz of the Snowflakes and I'm down to my last bit of the decant. Snow White is going to be purchased posthaste but I would love recs for similar pine or snowy vanilla. I do own and love both Lick It Softly and MB: Tokyo Stomp but those are minty where I want pine. Waltz is my Christmas scent and I might actually cry when I run out!