Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Wow I just checked it out and it looks amazing! Added to my wishlist. Thank you so much :wub2:

Just trying to spread the vanilla love! :) I hope you love it! (Give it about a month to settle down...)

Also, I've noticed so many bpal vanillas are paired with honey. That's a no no for me! Only equals baby powder and that is definitely NOT sexy! haha (IMO)

Ever since I changed birth control, honey smells like baby powder on me too :( Can you wear beeswax? It doesn't have the problems of honey on my skin. I ask because Lights of Men's Lives is a lovely wax/vanilla/light musk scent that you might like. Not foody at all. It's GC so you can get imps of it.

ETA: Also, check out Death Cap. Yes, it goes on smelling of dirt and mushrooms, but after about 20 mins it turns into a warm vanilla. I find it very much like Lights of Men's Lives after dry-down actually, and wish it stayed smelling like the forest floor!

Edited by Altaira

I don't think I've tried anything with beeswax yet. I will def try that one! Never would have considered death cap but I am adding it to my list!

Thanks for replying!

Are there any sweet, almost-pure, foody vanillas in the general catalogue?

I'm thinking of vanilla + brown sugar, vanilla + caramel, vanilla + cream, vanilla + cake, etc.

(I've been looking at Detestable Putrescence... but I'd have to get a decant of that... or buy a big bottle unsniffed.)

Thanks!

Just dropping in here to say to those that told me to wait on Banshee Beat--you were right! It's toned down a LOT on the patch, making it less of a weirdly sweet woods scent and more of a creamy vanilla with a sexy, foresty backdrop. Love it!

So, does anyone have recommendations for a cold vanilla? Waltz of the Snowflakes and Snow White are some of my favorite vanilla scents.

So, does anyone have recommendations for a cold vanilla? Waltz of the Snowflakes and Snow White are some of my favorite vanilla scents.

While I've never tried either of the two you mentioned, I was just saying to a friend of mine that Black Opal, to me, smells like cold vanilla laundry, as if ya dried it out on the line in the snow, instead of a warm day. Don't let the "laundry" bit put ya off, though, it's not particularly detergent/fabric softener'esque, it's just a very clean scent, as opposed to the more warm and toasty vanillas I've tried.

ETA: Doesn't it just figure that I mention it and the very next day, it gets discontinued. I think I'm bad luck. LOL

Edited by beturtlement

Great, I'll have to try it eventually.

Edit: Discontinued. Heh.

Edited by patina

Black Opal was my perfect vanilla, and now it's gone. :( Anything with that same light, cottony vanilla? I have deeper vanillas and stronger vanillas, but I loved that barely-there scent.

I'm new to BPAL so I have no idea what to order. My favorite scent is Kat Von D's "Saint." On me it smells like vanilla with a bit of musk, a sophisticated, grown-up vanilla. So I was just wondering if anyone recommended something similar? I hate florals or fruitiness as well. Thanks! :)

I'm new to BPAL so I have no idea what to order. My favorite scent is Kat Von D's "Saint." On me it smells like vanilla with a bit of musk, a sophisticated, grown-up vanilla. So I was just wondering if anyone recommended something similar? I hate florals or fruitiness as well. Thanks! :)

There is a thread here with BPAL recommendations to commercial perfumes. I saw that someone asked about Saint, but I did not find any replies. You might want to look through there, though.

That person also listed the notes for Saint -

Mirabelle Plum and mandarin are top notes. Tiare flower and caramel with jasmine are the mid. And vanilla combines with a cream type musk with sandalwood for the base.

So, even though you might not like florals or fruity perfumes, you might not want to rule them all out. :)

Edited by portalkat

There is a thread here with BPAL recommendations to commercial perfumes. I saw that someone asked about Saint, but I did not find any replies. You might want to look through there, though.

That person also listed the notes for Saint -

Mirabelle Plum and mandarin are top notes. Tiare flower and caramel with jasmine are the mid. And vanilla combines with a cream type musk with sandalwood for the base.

So, even though you might not like florals or fruity perfumes, you might not want to rule them all out. :)

Thanks! I looked and no one had replied so I'm still not sure what to try, but I will keep looking. :)

Goddamnit. Boo! 2012 does NOT work for me--too over the top sweet, and then it turns to Lemon Pledge. But. It has dried to pretty much SN sweet vanilla (with maybe some of the cream amping the sweet? Not sure, as *gasp* I have not tried anything else with cream in it), and my husband just came home, hugged me, sniffed the air, asked, "Are you wearing perfume?", sniffed my wrist, and smiled and said, "I like it. You can keep this one."

So, umm...help? I think it is the same vanilla from Morocco and MB: Tokyo Stomp, because wet it has that same slightly-too-sweet, slightly chemical smell, but it's definitely stronger in Boo! Any suggestions for something to try that is mostly that sweet vanilla note, but has some more complicated undertones to tone down the sweetness just a tad and satisfy the spice-lover/fruit-lover/foodie in me?

Any suggestions for something to try that is mostly that sweet vanilla note, but has some more complicated undertones to tone down the sweetness just a tad and satisfy the spice-lover/fruit-lover/foodie in me?

Have you tried layering? I lover layering Boo 2010 with Black Lace but 2010 doesn't have any lemon in it.

We even have some favourites in common, but I am drawing a blank here! Boo is the warmest, simplest sweet scent I've found. Most of the sweet blends that come to mind aren't vanilla at all!

My boyfriend is also fond of Boo. :lol:

I'm thinking of vanilla + brown sugar, vanilla + caramel, vanilla + cream, vanilla + cake, etc.

(I've been looking at Detestable Putrescence... but I'd have to get a decant of that... or buy a big bottle unsniffed.)

Thanks!

I have just the thing for you. Eat Me!! It is sooooooo good. I'm pretty new at scenting but I'm in love with it's warm mix of vanilla, cake and currant (although lots say they don't get the currant). But it is just wonderful and I could wear it every day.

any GC suggestions for the dark, sensual vanilla in Sonnet D'Automne? I adore most vanillas but do not like french vanilla on my skin and have some awkward effects from a lot of vanilla creams. And a lot of the "masculine" vanillas are too intense on me - I'm diminutive, so while I love a lot of throw and don't mind smelling like a sexy man, I don't want to smell like a big foreboding man that gets in bar fights, even if he's very well dressed and has nice aftershave. I want the deep, sensual, almost boozy kind of vanilla that you get from really high quality vanilla extract, which I think is done really well in Sonnet. Any GCs with similar vanillas would be much appreciated. (Some notes: O and Snake Oil do nothing for me. I don't hate them, they're just, meh. I want my socks knocked off by this one.)

Thanks!

I have just the thing for you. Eat Me!! It is sooooooo good. I'm pretty new at scenting but I'm in love with it's warm mix of vanilla, cake and currant (although lots say they don't get the currant). But it is just wonderful and I could wear it every day.

LOL. Eat Me is one of my GC favorites. To me it smells like jam and vanilla cookies. :yum:

Dorian's my other top GC scent, but that's a sexy, musky vanilla. (I don't get any tea from it.)

I never tire of finding new vanilla blends.

any GC suggestions for the dark, sensual vanilla in Sonnet D'Automne? I adore most vanillas but do not like french vanilla on my skin and have some awkward effects from a lot of vanilla creams. And a lot of the "masculine" vanillas are too intense on me - I'm diminutive, so while I love a lot of throw and don't mind smelling like a sexy man, I don't want to smell like a big foreboding man that gets in bar fights, even if he's very well dressed and has nice aftershave. I want the deep, sensual, almost boozy kind of vanilla that you get from really high quality vanilla extract, which I think is done really well in Sonnet. Any GCs with similar vanillas would be much appreciated. (Some notes: O and Snake Oil do nothing for me. I don't hate them, they're just, meh. I want my socks knocked off by this one.)

I have no idea - I'm not a big fan of the sweet vanillas and love the vanilla in Sonnet d'Automne as well (and the "black vanilla" in Antikythera Mechanism) - if you find it, share the love? I have similar issues with Snake Oil and O .

Have you guys tried U Mutter Museum? I got a frimp of it in a swap and when I first put it on my wrist I immediately thought, "NO! Not for me!" Shrugged my shoulders and walked away. About 30 minutes later I kept getting whiffs of this delicious smell but I honestly did not know where it was coming from because it smelled nothing like the perfume I had applied. When I realized it was me I couldn't stop huffing my wrist for the rest of the night. It is literally the best most divine smelling vanilla I've ever smelled. I have tried multiple BPAL vanilla blends but this... this is special. You just have to get past the "cologne" phase before it turns into something else entirely. I ordered a bottle. :wub2:

Have you guys tried U Mutter Museum? I got a frimp of it in a swap and when I first put it on my wrist I immediately thought, "NO! Not for me!" Shrugged my shoulders and walked away. About 30 minutes later I kept getting whiffs of this delicious smell but I honestly did not know where it was coming from because it smelled nothing like the perfume I had applied. When I realized it was me I couldn't stop huffing my wrist for the rest of the night. It is literally the best most divine smelling vanilla I've ever smelled. I have tried multiple BPAL vanilla blends but this... this is special. You just have to get past the "cologne" phase before it turns into something else entirely. I ordered a bottle. :wub2:

I adore U Mutter Museum but don't get any vanilla from it at all - it's all decaying leaves and curio cabinets on me and my spouse.

LOL. Eat Me is one of my GC favorites. To me it smells like jam and vanilla cookies. :yum:

Last night, I just ordered an imp of Eat Me - I can't wait to try it. It's the only vanilla one out of the six imps I'm trying out for this round - the other five are all chocolate/cocoas, with the help of all the lovely folks here!

Edited by LisaF1163

Oh, Lady Meag, too bad you don't get that vanilla note! :hug:

And for the record I LOVE :heart: vanilla but HATE :rasp: Eat Me and Drink Me. When I apply them I get a 2 second flash of sweet vanilla cake and then it goes crazy peppery(? WTH) and just gross on me, with absolutely no sign of the vanilla forever more. :angry:

Edited by Foodie

I got an extreme tea note with a soft vanilla, not foody but creamy in dorian. I love it! Makes me feel like a girl:)))

I am looking for a vanilla leather wood! fresh cut wood, bright sweet non foody vanilla, more like the bean, worn brown leather.

MMMMMMM!! I am dreaming of my fantasy scent!