Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

I find that the prototype XCDL13 has a Madagascar vanilla extract smell to me. It's dang near impossible to find though.
Celeste has Madagascan vanilla bean in it as well. And it is definitely a boozy extract smell.

Thank you both so much for the recs. Figures they'd be on the rare side, but after a quick search it seems like Celeste has a few decants floating around at least. I'll have to try her sometime. :)

Have you tried Tombstone? When I got it fresh I didn't like it, but after even just a couple of weeks of sitting it became a really beautiful, rich, creamy vanilla with hints of woods in the background making it more grounded. It's my every day go-to if I can't decide on another blend.

Lyonesse is my favorite aquatic (if not favorite GC blend, actually, even though I usually don't go for aquatics). I primarily get a smooth vanilla from it with the aquatic notes supporting it and making it dreamy and light.

The very best vanilla for me--that smells almost like a single note, but with added richness and depth--is Banshee Beat, though that one is harder to find than the first two. Not impossible by any means, though!

None of those three are foody at all to me. I love vanilla, too, so am constantly searching for another great one.

Have you tried Tombstone? When I got it fresh I didn't like it, but after even just a couple of weeks of sitting it became a really beautiful, rich, creamy vanilla with hints of woods in the background making it more grounded. It's my every day go-to if I can't decide on another blend.

Lyonesse is my favorite aquatic (if not favorite GC blend, actually, even though I usually don't go for aquatics). I primarily get a smooth vanilla from it with the aquatic notes supporting it and making it dreamy and light.

The very best vanilla for me--that smells almost like a single note, but with added richness and depth--is Banshee Beat, though that one is harder to find than the first two. Not impossible by any means, though!

None of those three are foody at all to me. I love vanilla, too, so am constantly searching for another great one.

I'd never even considered Tombstone! The sassafras made me think it would essentially smell like a root beer float, though if you don't think it's foody then I'll give it a shot in my next imp pack. Lyonesse has been on my "to try" list for a long while, though I didn't imagine it as a big vanilla scent either (many people seem to say it's mostly amber/musk) - it'll be interesting to see what my skin chemistry does with it, considering the amount of notes. BB seems pretty popular, but I'll keep a watch for it nonetheless. Thank you!

I'd never even considered Tombstone! The sassafras made me think it would essentially smell like a root beer float, though if you don't think it's foody then I'll give it a shot in my next imp pack. Lyonesse has been on my "to try" list for a long while, though I didn't imagine it as a big vanilla scent either (many people seem to say it's mostly amber/musk) - it'll be interesting to see what my skin chemistry does with it, considering the amount of notes. BB seems pretty popular, but I'll keep a watch for it nonetheless. Thank you!

Just butting in to give my two cents...

It's possible that Tombstone could smell like that on you, but cedar is a pretty strong note, so unless your skin eats wood notes (totally possible), you're probably good. Tombstone is basically vanilla and cedar on me and not foody in the least. It's really not sweet enough to come across as foody.

I only got the faintest hint of vanilla from Lyonesse. On me, it was lilies and musk and a touch of moss. It's definitely one of the more interesting scents I've smelled, though. Aquatics tend to work horribly on me, but I found Lyonesse quite lovely. Very atmospheric!

I would like to make a case for Black Opal as the best vanilla ever (hjow do I always forget this!) with Lyonesse as a close second =) I would say Haloes, but that isnt pure vanilla love.. its more complicated ;)

the black vanilla in banshee beat is incredible. what else has that?

The Antikythera Mechanism has black vanilla: Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

You're welcome! Regarding the sassafras, I don't really pick it up at all in Tombstone. I just bought Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener after reading the comparisons to Tombstone and yikes, it's entirely root beer float on me-- so I don't think I absorb or amp sassafras in particular.

The wood notes could be of concern, but I really find that they smooth out after a few weeks of aging. My new bottle smelled just like my imp did when I first got it and didn't like it, but is already much nicer (after only a month).

This is all part of the fun of bpal, though; it's fun to figure out what works for you individually! I know lots of people don't get vanilla in Lyonesse, but it's the main note for me (my sister smells it as mainly vanilla on me, too!).

I'm dying to try Black Opal... perhaps as an imp soon!

Black Opal is fabulous (I was frimped! Yay!). I have a bottle in my order plan! ^_^ Antikythera Mechanism is also similarly fabulous--loving the black vanilla in it--but it's a bit too masculine for my own wearing. I'm tempted to get a bottle just to sniff though XD It smells delicious!

Black Opal is fabulous (I was frimped! Yay!). I have a bottle in my order plan! ^_^ Antikythera Mechanism is also similarly fabulous--loving the black vanilla in it--but it's a bit too masculine for my own wearing. I'm tempted to get a bottle just to sniff though XD It smells delicious!

I too love Antikythera, and sometimes it is a bit much, even with how much I love it ;) -- You might try layering it with something to take the edge off -- my ideas to try might be: Dana O'Shee, Boo, Sachs, or something along those lines -- thinking soft, sweet, uncomplicated. (and all lovely vanillas in their own right!)

You'd have to like pear, but Perilous Parlor is by far my favorite vanilla. Very sweet and vaguely reminiscent of coconut.

Glad to hear that Tombstone isn't a float. :lol: Definitely going to find an imp of it at some point, and I've never had to worry about woodsy scents getting absorbed by my skin, so it shouldn't be a problem there. And in regards to skin chemistry, it can definitely make or break things - it'll be an experience finding out how something with a lot of notes, like Lyonesse, plays out. I did just manage to snag a bottle of Banshee Beat via Ebay from the lovely Herb Girl, so I hope it turns out as single note-ish as people are suggesting!

Strongest vanilla BPAL ever? Detestable Putrescence, from the Gris Grimly line: "Melty vanilla ice cream." Mmmm-mmm!aroused.gif

Just got a bottle of Banshee Beat... it's good, but to be honest, the patchouli is throwing me off. I like vanilla. I like patchouli. But together? I think my nose is just confused. It's very good as a slightly smoky vanilla though, sort of like s'mores over a campfire. This makes me think that Tombstone would be too woodsy as well though. Boo.

Just got a bottle of Banshee Beat... it's good, but to be honest, the patchouli is throwing me off. I like vanilla. I like patchouli. But together? I think my nose is just confused. It's very good as a slightly smoky vanilla though, sort of like s'mores over a campfire. This makes me think that Tombstone would be too woodsy as well though. Boo.

If it's a new bottle, let it age. Trust me Banshee Beat's vanilla stands out after it's a few months old. Also, Tombstone has a cedar note when it's fresh, but that ages away leaving the vanilla more prominent.

]If it's a new bottle, let it age. Trust me Banshee Beat's vanilla stands out after it's a few months old. Also, Tombstone has a cedar note when it's fresh, but that ages away leaving the vanilla more prominent.

All right, I suppose I'll give it another chance after some time. :) Thanks for giving me a heads up about the aging.

]If it's a new bottle, let it age. Trust me Banshee Beat's vanilla stands out after it's a few months old. Also, Tombstone has a cedar note when it's fresh, but that ages away leaving the vanilla more prominent.

All right, I suppose I'll give it another chance after some time. :) Thanks for giving me a heads up about the aging.

Yes yes - this! I should have mentioned that! :)

I've been following this thread for the last few days, because I LOVE vanilla. I'm still searching for the perfect vanilla but I do have quite a few that I like.

I didn't like Detestable Putrescence, it really smells like melted vanilla ice cream. I don't like melted ice cream at all, nauseating!

I don't smell vanilla in Liz, but it's a great scent.

I LOVE the vanilla in SO.

I get vanilla out of Mouse's Long and Sad tale. It's nice and light.

TKO is delicious! Sharpe lavendar that wears away leaving with sweet, creamy, fluffy vanilla.

Boo 2010. The vanilla is great and a bit buttery, but the cotton... I'm not sure about the cotton.

_shell_bells Have you tried Anne Beany? That's really buttery, vanilla, brown sugar smelling to my nose.

Vanilla is my favorite scent in the world. I am still searching for the perfect one!

I don't like foody vanilla. I'm looking for a smoky, sexy, resinous vanilla. I adore the dry down of snake oil, but there is something at the early stages that I don't love so much. Its a metallic smelling note. It could be due to my skin chemistry.

So I am still searching! Any recommendations would be so helpful :D

Vanilla is my favorite scent in the world. I am still searching for the perfect one!

I don't like foody vanilla. I'm looking for a smoky, sexy, resinous vanilla. I adore the dry down of snake oil, but there is something at the early stages that I don't love so much. Its a metallic smelling note. It could be due to my skin chemistry.

Have you tried Tombstone? I can't wear most of the Lab's foody vanillas either, but Tombstone is gorgeous on me (it's my favorite GC by a long shot). The balsam and cedar give it a nice smoky quality, while the sassafras keeps it light. It's really interesting and neutral to boot-both my husband and I wear and love it. It really feels like you just walked into an Old West general store where someone's eating vanilla ice cream at the counter. :yum:

Hi Kittyhawk!

I have tried Tombstone. And I LOVE unisex scents as well. Unfortunately I can't do the sassafras or cedar. Also,the scent reminded me of something(a bad memory)
Very strange, I know. Its probably just my weird skin chemistry messing it up!

A few others I've tried:

Snake Charmer - This would have been perfect, but there was that metallic smell but much stronger than snake oil. Other than that, it smelled just like vanilla incense. yum

Liz - The smoke and leather made it so Wow! Then the florals turned it perfumy.

Dorian - One of my favorites. Its perfect as is! But I still would like to find something a little on the darker side.

Celeste - fail

Banshee Beat - Hello Patchouli! Where did you go vanilla?!

Also, I've noticed so many bpal vanillas are paired with honey. That's a no no for me! Only equals baby powder and that is definitely NOT sexy! haha (IMO)

EDIT: So I must have gotten a strange batch, or my chemistry has changed - because I received a decant of Snake Charmer and there was NO metallic note present. Really love this one.

Edited by ziggystardust13

Hi Kittyhawk!

I have tried Tombstone. And I LOVE unisex scents as well. Unfortunately I can't do the sassafras or cedar. Also,the scent reminded me of something(a bad memory)

Very strange, I know. Its probably just my weird skin chemistry messing it up!

A few others I've tried:

Snake Charmer - This would have been perfect, but there was that metallic smell but much stronger than snake oil. Other than that, it smelled just like vanilla incense. yum

Liz - The smoke and leather made it so Wow! Then the florals turned it perfumy.

Dorian - One of my favorites. Its perfect as is! But I still would like to find something a little on the darker side.

Celeste - fail

Banshee Beat - Hello Patchouli! Where did you go vanilla?!

Also, I've noticed so many bpal vanillas are paired with honey. That's a no no for me! Only equals baby powder and that is definitely NOT sexy! haha (IMO)

I don't suppose you're a big pine fan? Because I loooove The Illustrated Woman. It's not super-masculine pine like in Black Forest---it's a sweeter pine-pitch kind of smell. The sap is the standout note for me, but the vanilla is quite lovely and non-foody. There's some honey in it, too, but it doesn't go powdery on me the way honey tends to. There's just a teeny bit in there to sweeten it.

Hi Kirsten :)

I haven't tried much pine from bpal. I'm definitely up for trying out new things. The sap sounds interesting. I've discovered a few notes that I never thought I'd care for, one being moss! I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for the recommendation!

Edited by ziggystardust13

So...I wore Pallas Athene last night and I couldn't believe how she has aged even after just a month or so! She was already gorgeous, but more of a sharp, sweet Amber and Frankincense...NOW: it has turned into the most glorious resiny vanilla/amber scent. If you haven't tried it, I would highly recommend it. Absolutely amazing. :wub2: