Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

i used to really shy away from vanilla, but now, my love for that sweet creaminess has grown.. so here i am! ^___^ the different vanilla blends i've tried in the past include:

- snake oil - i'm not fond of indonesian spices, and those were overwhelming on my skin, it was a no-no.

- O - i discovered through this blend and agrat-bat-malaht that honey and amber do nothing for my senses.. so unfortunately, no.

- antique lace - much better.. but still, i found it rather meh on my skin. which is a good thing i guess, since it's so hard to acquire now.

- dorian - gorgeous gorgeous smexy vanilla tea in a bottle. one of my favourite blends.

- boo - wonderfully sweet sugared vanilla.. possibly one of my favourite BPAL blends.

- the girl - i know vanilla isn't one of the listed notes, but it was there for me. unfortunately, amber got in the way again.

- TKO - nailed it, this is the perfect blend. the vanilla is a mix of sugary and creamy for me.. simply gorgeous. i'm a big fan of lavender though, so lavender-haters won't get anything out of this.

so far, my favourite vanillas come from TKO, boo and dorian in that order. i would love to try a vanilla and honey blend though.. something like O without the amber. any suggestions for that one?

Have you tried Womb Furie? Snake Oil and honey? I really do think the honey tempers the spices down a bit and adds a bit more sweetness.

I'd second the rec for Womb Furie, especially if you can get your hands on the 2010 vintage (supposed to be more honey). I've had my imp of Snake Oil for 2.5 years and can still barely smell vanilla on my skin at all, but Womb Furie 2010 really works for me. I also get more vanilla out of the Snake Oil Bath Oil - it definitely helped me see what all the hype for the perfume was about. :D

Edited by chaismolokom

I'm wondering if y'all can tell the difference between bpal's vanilla notes. Does regular vanilla smell noticeably different from bourbon vanilla or vanilla bean? I ask because, in general, vanilla makes me nauseous, even in very small quantities. I do, however, like Pink Phoenix and Wulric (these are literally the only two blends I've tried that list any type of vanilla that I can stand). I'm really intrigued by Paladin though, but there's that bourbon vanilla note that worries me. Do you think the blends I like just don't have a strong vanilla note, or is there something really different about bourbon vanilla and vanilla bean? Inquiring minds (and, um, pocketbooks) need to know!

I personally find a big difference in the lab's scents that list bourbon vanilla compared to other types. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from you- I LOVE vanilla- but it often gets eaten on my skin, so I'm always searching for scents that scream WHOA HI I'M VANILLA! Scents that list bourbon vanilla usually get passed over by me now, because they never read any vanilla on my skin. YMMV, of course, but I find that bourbon vanilla tends to get overpowered by other notes in a scent, whereas french vanilla, vanilla bean, or vanilla cream, etc. tend to stand out more. There are enough other notes in Paladin that could easily mask the vanilla- especially the metallic element. I'd say give it a shot, but maybe just try an imp.

Thanks, that's good to hear! Paladin does have quite a few strong notes so I will hope, for my own sake, that the bourbon vanilla indeed gets eaten.

Ok, so I actually like the scent of vanilla in real life, but almost always in beauty products and perfume, it doesn't suit me.

Usually it's because it's awfully sweet, but with BPAL it's totally another problem.

It doesn't smell particularly sweet, but it usually smells like plastic.

So far I've tried the following:

Snow White - playdoh.

Waltz of the Snowflakes - pine playdoh.

Tombstone - cedar and plastic.

The last being the best smelling one on me.

I know there are plenty of scents with vanilla in them, but I'm sort of afraid of ordering any of them, if they turn out all to smell of plastic/play doh.

I would like a soft scent, not awfully sweet, but still vanilla.

Any propositions? Something without white musk, patchouli or vetiver would be cool.

Black Opal. All those that you've mentioned though; really aren't 'vanilla' standouts for me, so it may just be possible that it isn't the vanilla that is ruining it for you.

it is the common note in all of them.

I'm really afraid of it to smell similar to Snow White, as far as Black Opal goes... but maybe I should test it indeed...

To me, Black Opal is nothing like Snow White. I can see how some people could get "Play-Doh" from Snow White, but definitely not about Black Opal. It's more of a...minerally scent. And to me, Black Opal isn't even all that vanilla, but YMMV.

I probably should order an imp of Black Opal.

Any other recommendations for Vanilla blends?

I'd really like something that would smell soft but not play doh like...

Morocco has a vanilla feel to it, but is not true vanilla to me- quite nice. If you don't mind woody scents, try The Antikythera Mechanism.

I’m looking for a Buttered Vanilla scent. I’ve done a search and I’ve read through all the vanilla reviews. All of the rec’s also list one of the notes that don’t work on me. So nothing with cinnamon, mint, anise or liquor.

Although, I do like the labs bourbon vanilla. I think that's because I don’t really smell the bourbon at all in it. I love Dorian and I’m looking for that vanilla but with butter instead of the musk. I actually don't mind a little musk, I just really want lot's of butter and vanilla.

Also, is there anything that smells like Buttered Popcorn with out caramel or chocolate notes?

Do these ring any bells?

Thanks guys :)

_shell_bells - for buttered popcorn, you really can't beat Shill - the description is 'Gloriously innocent and guileless: pure buttered popcorn!' and reviews are here - it smells *exactly* like buttered popcorn. But the bad news is, it's hard to find because it came out as part of the Carnaval Noir series which has long been discontinued.

A close runner-up is Trick or Treat from the Halloween 2009 series (or the original 2005 version) - the description is 'The sticky sweet scent of candy corn! Even cornier for 2009! - cuz corny is how we roll at BPAL!' and reviews are here.. that one's more of a candy corn smell, but it still has the buttered popcorn thing going on - and it should be much easier to find than Shill :smile:

For buttery vanilla, the best one I can think of is a prototype - BTCS (reviews are here) - some people found it more 'butterscotch' than 'butter' and the reviews vary a lot, some mention nuts and/or chocolate, but on me it was a really buttercream-y vanilla. Again, that one's going to be hard to find.. but I really can't think of any other vanilla that's totally buttery.

I’m looking for a Buttered Vanilla scent. I’ve done a search and I’ve read through all the vanilla reviews. All of the rec’s also list one of the notes that don’t work on me. So nothing with cinnamon, mint, anise or liquor.

Although, I do like the labs bourbon vanilla. I think that's because I don’t really smell the bourbon at all in it. I love Dorian and I’m looking for that vanilla but with butter instead of the musk. I actually don't mind a little musk, I just really want lot's of butter and vanilla.

You might have some luck with Detestable Putrescence. It's quite rich and smells a bit like vanilla extract which, to my nose, translates as buttery. Definitely try and look for some more scents with the Lab's bourbon vanilla note too, especially if you enjoy it. It's one of the creamier vanilla types (and is actually completely unrelated to bourbon whiskey!) and I think it holds quite a buttery undertone.

There's Boo as well- as a previous user said, it might be more butterscotch than butter-butter but it's relatively easy to find and probably worth a shot sniff.

Although, I do like the labs bourbon vanilla. I think that's because I don’t really smell the bourbon at all in it.

This is a common misperception. Bourbon Vanilla is a type of vanilla plant, there is no bourbon in it to smell.

Buttery smells generally make me queazy, so I can't help with your main question.

I probably should order an imp of Black Opal.

Any other recommendations for Vanilla blends?

I'd really like something that would smell soft but not play doh like...

Liz is a wonderful soft vanilla, however you must like smokey, as there is a hefty tobacco note.

Illustrated Woman is also a great soft vanilla, but it also has a smokey note.

_shell_bells - for buttered popcorn, you really can't beat Shill - the description is 'Gloriously innocent and guileless: pure buttered popcorn!' and reviews are here - it smells *exactly* like buttered popcorn. But the bad news is, it's hard to find because it came out as part of the Carnaval Noir series which has long been discontinued.

Shill sounds perfect! I added to my watched list on Ebay and I'll keep my eyes open for it here and on Lj.

Thank you so much!

You might have some luck with Detestable Putrescence. It's quite rich and smells a bit like vanilla extract which, to my nose, translates as buttery. Definitely try and look for some more scents with the Lab's bourbon vanilla note too, especially if you enjoy it. It's one of the creamier vanilla types (and is actually completely unrelated to bourbon whiskey!) and I think it holds quite a buttery undertone.

There's Boo as well- as a previous user said, it might be more butterscotch than butter-butter but it's relatively easy to find and probably worth a shot sniff.

Thank you! I did a search for Detestable Putrescence and found a bottle for sale. I'm just waiting for the owner to contact me back. Hopefully, I'll have a bottle soon. :D

Thank you! I did a search for Detestable Putrescence and found a bottle for sale. I'm just waiting for the owner to contact me back. Hopefully, I'll have a bottle soon. :D

Awesome! I do hope you like it :) I'm on the hunt for the perfect vanilla myself so I can definitely empathise. Let us know if you have any luck!

Been watching this thread for a while, but unfortunately BPAL's vanilla tends to be horrid on me. :( I'm literally just looking for a good ol' "vanilla extract" sort of smell, perhaps a bit softer, but that is a "true" vanilla in my mind. Everything I've tried, even forum favorite O, just smells funky or like plastic to me. I'm also not wanting something that's weighed down with eighty other foody scents. Ironically there was this Sephora exclusive body wash that I got for free which was a vanilla/honey scent and it was gorgeous. I wished they'd made a perfume of it, because I might have broke down and got some it was so delicately lovely. Dorian has been the best oil for me that has vanilla IN it, but really it's so well-blended that I don't specifically notice "vanilla" when I smell it. More of the overall soft lemon tea instead (which isn't at all bad, but I'm still looking for my "vanilla as the star" scent). Maybe Detestable Putrescence could work...

I find that Amaterasu v3 has a light sugared vanilla smell on the dry down. I never noticed it before but it's lovely.

Been watching this thread for a while, but unfortunately BPAL's vanilla tends to be horrid on me. :( I'm literally just looking for a good ol' "vanilla extract" sort of smell, perhaps a bit softer, but that is a "true" vanilla in my mind. Everything I've tried, even forum favorite O, just smells funky or like plastic to me. I'm also not wanting something that's weighed down with eighty other foody scents. Ironically there was this Sephora exclusive body wash that I got for free which was a vanilla/honey scent and it was gorgeous. I wished they'd made a perfume of it, because I might have broke down and got some it was so delicately lovely. Dorian has been the best oil for me that has vanilla IN it, but really it's so well-blended that I don't specifically notice "vanilla" when I smell it. More of the overall soft lemon tea instead (which isn't at all bad, but I'm still looking for my "vanilla as the star" scent). Maybe Detestable Putrescence could work...

I find that the prototype XCDL13 has a Madagascar vanilla extract smell to me. It's dang near impossible to find though.

I find that the prototype XCDL13 has a Madagascar vanilla extract smell to me. It's dang near impossible to find though.

Celeste has Madagascan vanilla bean in it as well. And it is definitely a boozy extract smell.

Celeste has Madagascan vanilla bean in it as well. And it is definitely a boozy extract smell.

Thank you both so much for the recs. Figures they'd be on the rare side, but after a quick search it seems like Celeste has a few decants floating around at least. I'll have to try her sometime. :)

Edited by Balame