Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Castitas, a bath oil from the Black Phoenix Trading Post, is another thing to consider if you want to branch out into other products. It's very soft and beautiful, creamy with a light vanilla.

I second Tamora, that one is a peachy vanilla. Not my style but I could very much see that one working for someone in their teens. It's quite sweet and vanilla once it dries. And my out of the way, suggestion would be Dragon's Milk - honey, vanilla and dragon's blood resin (which actually smells like berries and flowers) would be a very nice non-sultry choice.

But thinking about it, I still think the best rec here is actually Snow White, although the description doesn't scream vanilla it's a very sweet, cakey kind of scent that I think a 14yr old would fall in love with. It also doesn't hurt that it's got a bit of fairytale cool about it too. That scent contains everything lovely about vanilla (sweet, lush, warm and comforting) in a gentle and really unique scent. It's very similar to Lush's Snow Cake if you want to get an idea.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Looks like you can still order Boo- and that's an awesome sugary creamy scent!

I have to agree with those who recommended Detestable Putrescence. Its a rich vanilla ice cream scent- can't go too wrong there.

Eat Me would be wonderful, only, the name may be an issue when gifting someone so young. Same as Lick It. Vanilla sugar and mint- YUM! But, yeah, that seems to be up there with Eat Me as bordering inappropriate for the youngins.

Tombstone may be too dusky, but I get really yummy vanilla spice from that one.

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener is like a rootbeer vanilla kind of scent that she may like.

And while its not a straight vanilla- Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo is a nice sweet happy scent.

Regan may also be an idea.

My top rec is Boo, though.

Another vote here for Regan -- the floral note makes it a bit lighter than some other vanilla blends, but doesn't detract from the innate vanilla-ness, at least on me. It's vanilla without shouting "clearly, I should be shelved in the baking supplies aisle". If, like me, your sister's skin doesn't amp musk very much, Dorian is a wonderfully warm sweet scent that would be very appropriate for someone her age.

Eat Me would be wonderful, only, the name may be an issue when gifting someone so young.

Actually, Eat Me is from the Mad Tea Party section, and it refers to the cake that Alice finds on her adventures in Wonderland and eats to grow taller. It may be a good choice! It's definitely a great vanilla scent.

Also, I just keep thinking: while any of us may not want to *give* a 14yo 8thgrader something too sultry - don't you remember *being* 14? Am I the only one who was trying to act like hot stuff at that age? I somehow doubt it... ;)

Did anyone recommend The Girl? It is an LE but it's still up as of now. Vanilla's not listed as a note and when I first tried my imp I couldn't understand where people were getting vanilla from but I've since gotten a bottle and it's a sweet vanilla-ey scent. Very sweet and floral but light.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll have to look into getting a bunch of imps and maybe a 5 ml for her birthday...maybe give her a jewelry box for Christmas that she can store these in later.

I just keep thinking: while any of us may not want to *give* a 14yo 8thgrader something too sultry - don't you remember *being* 14? Am I the only one who was trying to act like hot stuff at that age? I somehow doubt it... ;)

Well, seeing as how said-14-year-old is also Mormon...I doubt my parents would be very happy with sultry, haha.

Oh yes to the Girl too, but be careful about the label ;) I also wanted to mention Antique Lace, except that its hard to find right now!

I third Antique Lace. It's one of the first things I thought of when I saw this thread. The only reason I didn't mention it was it's so hard to find right now. :(

If you're going GC, I would add to the suggestion for Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. Lyonesse would also be a really good choice that I don't think anyone's mentioned- it's soft and warm and smells mostly vanilla to me. I get more vanilla from those two than I do from Dorian.

I definitely agree with Detestable Putrescence. I don't really get vanilla from Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, but maybe I'm crazy.

I just can't picture Dorian on a young girl. XD I dunno, just seems weird.

Definitely The Girl. It still confuses me that I get vanilla from it, since it's not listed in any of the notes.. anyway, it smells mostly like vanilla musk on me, and is very girly and innocent.

Lyonesse just became my new favorite vanilla scent so I have to recommend it, but it seems a bit sultry for a younger woman.

Let us know what you decide on! :D

I have a friend looking for citrus + vanilla scents, and I thought I'd try putting together an imp pack for a x-mas present. Any suggestions? I'm already thinking

Hunger

Zephyr

Dorian

So I tried Black Lace today and it's not really working out for me. Too much tobacco, not enough vanilla. But I love the vanilla note in this blend. Any suggestions on other scents that have this note and maybe aren't too complex? I'm looking for something where this note is the featured player. I tend to like scents on the girly side it seems, and some of the sexpot variety. Not too much fruit or herbs and lowkey on the incense and spice. :P

I would LURVE something heavy on the bourbon vanilla, but I haven't found much that is as simple as you're looking for. Sachs has it, but on me it was rather overpowered by the chamomile, and it faded quickly. I find Antique Lace to have a similar vanilla to Black Lace, but it is the light whereas BL is the dark. Hard to find these days, though.

i'm looking more of a pure vanilla scent - something like vanilla bean (though easier to find, if possible!) creamy vanillas and vanillas with a bit of musk are good, too... just no more gourmand scents, please!

if it helps, my favorite (non-bpal) perfumes are posset's "madame x" and des filles a la vanille's "vanilla girls".

I find Lyonesse to be a really true vanilla scent. It has a little bit of muskiness, but it's quite nice. That's on me, though! Your results may vary.

I second (and third) Gypsy Moth, Lyonesse, & Dorian for great non-foodie vanillas. I also really love the vanilla in Liz and I don't find that to be a gourmand sort of scent... Hellhound on my Trail had a great bourbon vanilla in it, but that one was a LE.

OMG. Somehow when I first tried Regan a year ago I didn't like it. I got it as a frimp with Weenies and I am enraptured. It's soft and floral and sweet, with vanilla coming out more and more as it dries. Another vanilla love!