Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Thanks, Dreamcatcher I was going to go there tomorrow because I know they have several different brands. Maybe I'll luck out!

Jarvenpa, I could swear I tried Antique Lace but I don't see it in my notes anywhere. I'm going to have to look into it, there must be a reason I haven't ordered it yet. I LOVE vanilla, but just don't seem to smell it on me at all in anything I've tried. :(

Thanks for the info, didn't know we shouldn't mention other companies. Wish the lab sold a single note, in a super big size! :)

Here is the link to the post from the mod.

sorry. I will be more careful. :ack:

There is Regan as well......I'm too lazy to see if anyone recommended it before.

"Regan, from Illyria: A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis."

Thanks for the info, didn't know we shouldn't mention other companies. Wish the lab sold a single note, in a super big size! :)

I like Eclipse alot, but all I smell is cherry almond! (Which is fine with me)

Here is the link to the post from the mod.

" I've noticed that people are recommending non-BPAL perfumes in their posts here a little more often lately. This really isn't appropriate here, and I'd like to ask you all to keep such discussions of other brands in the subforum designated for them, Retail Therapy, from now on. (This does not apply to posts seeking BPAL scents that are similar to a favorite perfume from another source - those continue to be welcome, of course.)

Recs is part of the section of subforums dedicated to Lab discussion, and its intent is for members to be able to seek others' advice about BPAL blends they aren't familiar with themselves. For another member to respond to a request by recommending a scent from a department store line, another e-tailer, or any source other than the Lab is a bit disrespectful of this subforum's purposes, the Lab, and the original poster, who came here looking for BPAL recs.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any comments or questions about this or other issues in Recommendations. I don't feel like this is a huge problem yet, and I'm certainly not angry with anyone who may have done this previously. However, since we now have over 6000 members and are adding new members every day, I felt that spelling this guideline out was important.

Thanks, everyone, for your enthusiastic participation in Recommendations!"

Sorry!! :)

Until last night, I had not tried Tombstone for a few years. I love the vanilla in it and I think that so far, this is my favorite BPAL blend for that note. I think that I need a bottle of this.

I think I finally found my perfect vanilla, and it is Hellhound on my Trail. I just have to confirm that when my bottle gets here... if a teeny skin-test (thanks naeelah!) was that amazing, I can't wait to slather.

And to be off-topic, oh my god, Hellhound layered with St. John's Eve? ...*dies*

Other than that, Snake Oil and Snake Charmer (periodically together) are my perfect vanillas, especially Snake Oil about five hours into the drydown (i.e. right now.... nomnomnom). I'm also a huge fan of White Rose's vanilla tea; it's even better than the vanilla tea in Dorian, IMHO.

Recently, I've been obsessed with vanilla and more recently, plum :wub2: so, I've tried a fair amount of vanilla. The only thing that I realize, is their need to age...

Antique Lace is my absolute favorite vanilla. It's good when it's fresh but so so yummy when its aged. It's more sophisticated and I would definitely say the name fits. In my recent order, I got Tombstone, which I don't think I'll wear that much but it's definitely in top three vanillas. It's a woody vanilla that I really like. Hunger doesn't scream 'vanilla' to me at all, but it definitely plays a part in the scent. I need to see how it age, but this one is probably tied with Tombstone. Snake Oil doesn't work. And trust me, I've tried. My imp is now aged a year and a half and well as my bottle of Boomslang (which is omfg delicious) and it turns on me. And I feel greedy because I'm not giving my aged delicious cocoa snakey up!! I have to let Dragon's Milk and Morocco age because right now, they're sort of bland. Morocco has that same fresh vanilla as Antique Lace, but I like Antique Lace much much better and it doesn't have nearly as much staying or wafting power. INEZ is my go-to comfort scent! It's an amazing vanilla and amber mix :thud: Lastly, Lyonesse is really nice, but it's not nearly as nice as Antique Lace or Inez.

I love my vanillas.

Lady Una smells like blueberry (I know it's blackberry, but I smell blueberry) scones and honey on me! The vanilla isn't in the foreground, but it's definitely there, and it's lovely. Very sweet.

Dorian will always be my number one vanilla. Always. :wub2:

I've just tried Dorian and Morocco and I have to say :thud:

I think my perfect vanilla search ends here lol. Lovely, warm, sweet vanilla! From both! Although with Dorian it's more lemony vanilla cake and morocco is more straight vanilla. Van Van of course is lovely too. Smells much like Krhysee on me. A tobacco, smoky vanilla.

Very happy with GC's lately :)

Lady Una smells like blueberry (I know it's blackberry, but I smell blueberry) scones and honey on me! The vanilla isn't in the foreground, but it's definitely there, and it's lovely. Very sweet.

I definately agree! I get a "vanilla tea" note as well as scones and berries and honey :wub2:

I love this combination in a lotion I have but wish I had a more complex oil. Any suggestions? :umm:

(Mod note - referring to vanilla + lavender, title of original thread)

Edited by ivyandpeony
merged threads

Lilith Victoria - Snake Oil blended with Dorian, plus soft vanilla flower, lily of the valley, lavender, and fennel.

I have this in my scent locket right now.. and its predominantly vanilla/lavender.

Lab lavenders are usually too sharp for me.. but L.V. is lovely.

For the more traditional lavender vanilla blend, my pick would be TKO as well, but if you want something a bit different, then Lilith Victoria would be a good choice. I wear both of these for my sleep blends. :D

I am still quite new to BPAL, and I am trying to wade through the sea of reviews and recommendations to find the perfect scent. I LOVE vanilla...it is my absolute favorite. However, I don't get a lot of vanilla from the scents I've been trying per recommendation. Here's what I've tried:

LOVE!!!! : ) Love's Philosophy (Amazing...it may not get better than this, but I'm still willing to try.) :joy:

Like very much: Antique Lace (Although I don't get that scream of pure vanilla- more baby powdery on me, but I still like it) :D

Is pretty good: Dorian (To me more soft musk than vanilla), Regan (still not really vanilla to me)

Didn't care for: O (too boozy), Boo (liked at first, but dried to a burnt smell), Black Opal (didn't get any vanilla from this at all- not terrible, but didn't smell vanilla) :cry2:

Any other suggestions? If it helps, I used to wear VS Vanilla Lace and loved it. That's the kind of note I'm looking for, although in a bit more interesting way.

I am still quite new to BPAL, and I am trying to wade through the sea of reviews and recommendations to find the perfect scent. I LOVE vanilla...it is my absolute favorite. However, I don't get a lot of vanilla from the scents I've been trying per recommendation. Here's what I've tried:

LOVE!!!! : ) Love's Philosophy (Amazing...it may not get better than this, but I'm still willing to try.) :joy:

Like very much: Antique Lace (Although I don't get that scream of pure vanilla- more baby powdery on me, but I still like it) :D

Is pretty good: Dorian (To me more soft musk than vanilla), Regan (still not really vanilla to me)

Didn't care for: O (too boozy), Boo (liked at first, but dried to a burnt smell), Black Opal (didn't get any vanilla from this at all- not terrible, but didn't smell vanilla) :cry2:

Any other suggestions? If it helps, I used to wear VS Vanilla Lace and loved it. That's the kind of note I'm looking for, although in a bit more interesting way.

My skin chemistry is very different from yours (everything seems to turn into vanilla on me, much to my chagrin), but you might try these from the general catalogue, if you haven't already:

Dana O'Shee
(Bewitching Brews) - Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains were made to placate these creatures, and it is that the basis of the scent created in their name.

Lyonesse
(Wanderlust) - Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale
(Mad Tea Party) - Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

Tombstone
(Wanderlust) - A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

If you're willing to track down limited editions and un-impables, you could try:

The Illustrated Woman
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco.

Inez
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood.

Midway
(Carnaval Noir) - Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

On my skin, Tombstone and Midway were both very similar to Love's Philosophy, but your mileage may vary.

I was going to suggest Midway as well. That's the truest vanilla that I have found so far, but I have not yet ordered Boo. I love Tombstone, but I also like wood notes, so it is right up my alley. I would really suggest that you hunt around for Midway..........what about Sachs or Detestable Putrescence? I haven't tried those two either, but they have gotten good reviews for vanilla scents and they are both available.

I'm seconding portalkat's excellent suggestions - the only problem with Midway (and/or Midway Resurrected) is that it can be hard to find. However, Detestable Putrescence is sooooo similar to Midway, and currently available! I think you should definitely give that a try for your vanilla fix :D

Hee- I had both Sachs and D.P. in my Lab shopping cart tonight and was on the fence. Back they go! Thanks!

*Thanks Apple! I will give those a shot. :D

Edited by VioletFemme

I love Sachs but its more of a boozy, smoky vanilla than a pure one. The Velvet Unicorn is a vanilla cake scent to me at first (delicious) but dries down to a swett vanilla musk (also delicious). Have you tried Morocco? It's vanilla with a hint of warm spice to give it a slightly more interesting vibe.

When I first tried Bpal I was after a berry scent, my mom likes vanilla so I was always thinking if I smelled like that I would be old ladyish. But now I'm hooked! The vanillas here are all nom worthy and different.

Have you looked at Defututa olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood, and champaca flower?

I love vanilla and this is a warm, slightly floral vanilla to me. I wear O and Defututa regularly.

Some of the other suggestions didn't work at all for me; I either couldn't smell the vanilla or the woodiness overwhelmed the vanilla.